Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Not gonna do it anymore

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Not gonna do it anymore

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm out as an Indians ticket holder.

Shared a package with 4 other guys for 20 years...so 16 games a year, plus a few more. Last year at Muni in '93 to get into the queue, and this is the 19th year at Jake/Prog

But I'm out. They've ground me down. And I don't see anything...anything that leads me to believe it will change soon.

They sent out the '13 invoices early this year. They're raising the ticket price 25%, and instead of 3 payments in Dec, Jan, Feb...they want their money in Oct., Nov, and Dec.

which made all five of us pretty much just say "hey, fuck you" That takes a lot of crust, we thought. But it's not the money or the payment plan...it's the lack of accountability by the people who cash the checks.

I know I'll still go to games...being a fan is not voluntary...but I just can't see subsidizing this failure of an operation as a season ticket holder any more.

Not to say never again...
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: Not gonna do it anymore

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:50 pm

No way anybody blames you. The FO has shown no interest in spending money. Why should the fans?
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 pm

danwismar wrote:I'm out as an Indians ticket holder.

Shared a package with 4 other guys for 20 years...so 16 games a year, plus a few more. Last year at Muni in '93 to get into the queue, and this is the 19th year at Jake/Prog

But I'm out. They've ground me down. And I don't see anything...anything that leads me to believe it will change soon.

They sent out the '13 invoices early this year. They're raising the ticket price 25%, and instead of 3 payments in Dec, Jan, Feb...they want their money in Oct., Nov, and Dec.

which made all five of us pretty much just say "hey, fuck you" That takes a lot of crust, we thought. But it's not the money or the payment plan...it's the lack of accountability by the people who cash the checks.

I know I'll still go to games...being a fan is not voluntary...but I just can't see subsidizing this failure of an operation as a season ticket holder any more.

:clap: I hope there are hundreds if not thousands more like you.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Bravo! Take it from a long-distance addict: chill the beer, turn on Hammy and company, and close your eyes. Hamilton paints such a nice picture you don't need to sit in a hard seat when you have a comfy recliner. (I'm assuming you have a recliner since I've never met a man without one...) AND with all that cash you're saving you can get a new sound system. Bonus!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Bigfist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 am

This is not meant sarcastically at all. I hope Dolan and Shapiro are reading this board....and who knows, maybe they are. Unbelievably bad businessman is Dolan.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I completely understand and agree. This is the first year of my life (im 31) that I began to think of myself as being capable of just not following this team any more. I spent years watching/listening to 80+ games a year and attending 10+....and I just can't do it anymore. The chinsey free agent signings, the lack of any movement at trade deadlines, and the unwillingness to pay top dollar for draft picks to get the future superstar potential......

Just leaves a big pile of blah.

At least I get to watch the Nats, which seem to have a genuinely likeable team of overacheivers and mostly homegrown talent.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I make an effot to get to at least one game this year. That game was going to come in August of this season due to various factors.

Changed my mind, didn't go. Glad I made that decision.

I can't see myself going to any games next year unless I'm given tickets. I live in Youngstown and factoring the cost of gas into the whole evening to see a bunch of minor leaguers flail around at the plate while Ubaldo tries to remember what his job actually is . . . well, you get the picture.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:16 am

I bailed 2 years ago. Still make the jaunt 4-5 times a year so my son can watch the 3 or 4 pros we have and the other team. The Aeros & Scrappers are my teams now. Like " Am I here again" says......save the cash, avoid the aggravation, kick back and listen to Hams...he somehow....makes it tolerable. The food & beer are much better in the backyard also.

Perhaps, someday gang........
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Interesting they are asking for the money earlier. Trying to get their money before we clear house. Bye Perez, bye Choo, See ya 'Droobs, see ya Justin, adios Carlos.

Dolan's say they don't want to sell, the fans just may force them.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:09 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
danwismar wrote:I'm out as an Indians ticket holder.

:clap: I hope there are hundreds if not thousands more like you.

No way they can still have 1000 season ticket holders.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 pm

It occurred to me today. If I win the Powerball tonight, therefore taking monetary considerations out of the equation, I STILL wouldn't buy season tickets for next year.

The Dolans aren't just cheap, they bring new meaning to the word "Miser."

Just about any other FO would've fired the braintrust of Shapiro&Antonetti a long time ago. They wouldn't have waited for the end of the Atomic Wedgie's contract to kind of, sort of, "part ways" with him.

Selling the team is the only way any ownership/FO will get butts in seats next season. I believe the Dolans are so cheap they will keep Manny Acta going into next season.

To be perfectly clear, I don't think Manny Acta is the real problem here. He's just as much a victim as the fans are. That being said, everything else being equal, Acta would've been fired a month ago by any other MLB team.

I'm just going to stop now. :gah:
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:13 pm

But if everyone stops buying season tickets, who am I going to buy my tickets from at 50% off face value? Cause there's no way I'm paying full price to watch this AA garbage.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB