Text Size

The Back Of The Net

USA V. JAMAICA

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

USA V. JAMAICA

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Once again Columbus proves it should be the "Home Field" of USA soccer, crowd is nuts , and many have been tailgating since last night.

Go USA , this is a must win game.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: USA V. JAMAICA

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 am

Govbarney wrote:Once again Columbus proves it should be the "Home Field" of USA soccer, crowd is nuts , and many have been tailgating since last night.

Go USA , this is a must win game.

Back in control but damn if Jamaica hasn't given them all kinds of issues.

Next round of qualifiers in a month and hopefully they're healthier and in in better condition.

And the team down to a man acknowledged how crazy and lous the Columbus fans were and how big a factor it was.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 am

That game was farther apart then the score indicated , I counted at least 2 balls that bounced off the bar in the 1st half, one of which defied the law of physics not going in. Then once the US scored Klinsmann conceded Offense and got ultra German conservative. Gutsy move considering the Jamaican speed, but then again the majority of the US stars had already played a game that week over seas so I understand Klinsmann trying to conserve some energy, I am sure that Dempsey especially really appreciated that.

Crew Stadium has the best case for becoming USA soccer's Home Field, in the same way Azteca is Mexico's Home Field. 50% of the United States population lives within a 500 mile radius of Columbus (60% if you go out to 600miles). It has the history of being the first soccer only stadium in the country, Its big enough at 22000 seats where you always have crazy sellouts for every game regardless of whether its a WCQ, or just a Friendly, but not so big where you have vast areas of empty seats, and Columbus has a good size Hispanic soccer crazy fan base, but not so big that the US fans are out numbered 3-1 when playing Mexico in California or Texas.
I understand US Soccer needs to spread the wealth, but I think at the very least all of our games against Mexico should be played in Columbus. The embarrassment in Pasadena is the best case for why.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Squints » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:06 pm

It's frustrating being a fan of this team. First ever win earlier this year against Italy and then last month, the first ever win at Mexico followed up by a loss at Jamaica in a game that matters. They seem to play down to the level of the competition and the definetly went to the "prevent d" last night after the goal. I recall Howard challenged only once in the second half and the US missed multiple chances in the first half. Donovan needs to play with Dempsey more often. Dononvan's getting older but that combo still gives the US the best chance to win. Bottom line is the US is sweating to make the final round of the CONCACAF qualifying- yikes.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Cease » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:10 pm

As dominating a half as I've seen in the first half. Confusion reigned after the goal in the second half. The team abandoned what got them there, very disconcerting.

Don't know if Klinsman sent mixed signals or the youngsters on the pitch didn't know how to play with a lead. Team vets need to either push Klinsman to be clearer with his wants, or team vets need to get in the ears of the young guys.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cease » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Off Topic: This is a great read on US soccer tactics over the last 25 years. Crystallized a bunch of things for me..
http://whatahowler.tumblr.com/post/3131 ... can-soccer
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Squints » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks for posting, long but informative article. Pretty much maps it out. Characterizes US Soccer as taking a few steps forward followed by a backwards step. I see a pattern forming and I'm hopeful, but not too optomistic on this World Cup cycle.

As for Crew Stadium- I like Gov's point, but the stadium is just too small, but what a great atmosphere. I got emails about the game from the Crew, would of gone if it wasn't during the school year.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to The Back Of The Net