Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Carrasco

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Carrasco

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 am

Carlos Carrasco pitched an inning in a rehab start for the Aeros in the Eastern League playoffs last night. He threw 11 pitches, mostly fastballs, and was sitting consistently between 95-97 MPH. Hit 98 and 99 once each. Breaking ball was a little loose, but that can be expected in his first outing after TJ. Retired the side in order on a bunt groundout, K and a flyout. He'll also start and throw an inning in game 5 of the playoff series if they go 5 games.

I know it's just one inning, but at this point I'll take any kind of good news in this org, especially if it's related to next year's starting rotation.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Carrasco

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:35 am

This guy has a huge upside and now that his shoulder if fixed it should be all systems Go. He's throwing harder than he did before the surgery, which is not unusual. Now it's a question of how long it will take him to gain command of his breaking stuff and how many innings the Tribe will let him pitch next year.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:14 am

Prosecutor wrote:This guy has a huge upside and now that his shoulder if fixed it should be all systems Go. He's throwing harder than he did before the surgery, which is not unusual. Now it's a question of how long it will take him to gain command of his breaking stuff and how many innings the Tribe will let him pitch next year.

When did he hurt his shoulder?

This organization is snake-bit for sure. Messing up the shoulder a year after the TJ surgery is a shitty break.

I'd go with the Medlen route over the Strasburg route.

Start Carrasco off in the pen next season to keep his innings down. That way he'll still be able to pitch in the playoffs.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 am

It's incredible the way these guys come back from TJ surgery now. I'd all but forgotten about Carrasco. Now I keep thinking about June 2011. Maybe we will salvage something from the CPL trade after all.

Looks like he'll be ready to go in the spring. Dog knows the rotation could use the help.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 am

Carrasco had really turned a corner prior to getting hurt...for a small stretch there, it seemed like he was the best pitcher we had. Then came the beanball incident and the subsequent injury, and he was gone. I was excited by the progress he had made up till those things happened. I would love to see him come back to where he left off.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Carrasco had really turned a corner prior to getting hurt...for a small stretch there, it seemed like he was the best pitcher we had. Then came the beanball incident and the subsequent injury, and he was gone. I was excited by the progress he had made up till those things happened. I would love to see him come back to where he left off.

Agreed. He followed the typical Cleveland script of showing promise, stirring excitement then falling off the face of the earth.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:25 pm

If he can come back and be even average next year, that would fill a gaping hole in the rotation.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:32 pm

What really sucks--unless I'm way, way off--is that this year and a half off counts towards his service clock, right? As in, DL time is the same as service time. Am I totally off base here, or isn't that really the case?
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:What really sucks--unless I'm way, way off--is that this year and a half off counts towards his service clock, right? As in, DL time is the same as service time. Am I totally off base here, or isn't that really the case?

Actually, I'd be more interested in the organization working on bringing players here that are worth a shit, than worrying about the service clock.

Treating a number of prospects in your organization as if they are Evan Longoria is a mistake.

Failure rates oughta tell them that.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:What really sucks--unless I'm way, way off--is that this year and a half off counts towards his service clock, right? As in, DL time is the same as service time. Am I totally off base here, or isn't that really the case?

Yes. As long as he's on the major league roster, it counts.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

It doesn't if he's been on the 60 day DL. They do not take up a roster spot on the 40 man.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

It doesn't if he's been on the 60 day DL. They do not take up a roster spot on the 40 man.

On the 60-day DL, they don't count to the 40-man, but they still accrue ML service time.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

On the 60-day DL, they don't count to the 40-man, but they still accrue ML service time.

Right. He'd have to be optioned off the roster and put on the minor league DL to not accrue service time. And since all a claiming team would have to do is stash him on their 60-day DL, there's no doubt he'd have been claimed.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:45 am

This sounds good, but don't forget he has to serve his suspension when/if he returns.

$1,000,000 arm. 10 cent head.

Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:32 pm

Carrasco with his 2nd rehab start tonight in the series decider for Akron - 3 up, 3 down with a pair of Ks.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Not a great start for Carrasco tonight in game 3 of the Championship Series down in AA...... the first 4 hitters went 1B, 2B, 1B, HR to out 4 runs on the board in a hurry.

He retired the next 3 hitters to make it a 1IP, 4ER outing.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby cappy1920 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Tired arm, cold weather...

Unless something went wrong, it's no big deal...
cappy1920

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Carrasco went back out for the 2nd and retired the side in order with a K.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Carrasco went back out for the 2nd and retired the side in order with a K.

I love it you're even following the minor league games. Once I get across the pond, we are having drinks.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB