Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Modell Is Dead

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Modell Is Dead

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:16 am

WKYC-TV3's Jim Donovan reporting former #Browns owner Art Modell gravely ill.

- Tony Grossi
https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/2 ... 4496706560
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: Finally some good news

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 am

I like the not so subtle use of the word "gravely."
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:35 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:38 am

Bin Laden, Qaddafi, Kim Jong Il, now Modell. Hell is filling up quickly.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 am

‎"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

- Clarence Darrow
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 am

I feel for the family but am glad we'll never have to hear his acceptance speech in Canton.

His "legacy" will last forever in the Cincinnati Bengals and the Baltimore Ravens. Fuck you Art.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Modell Is Dead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

JB, are you still planning on driving that bus to his grave so you can piss on it?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

He's with the angels now.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:02 am

Sooo... the league is apparently announcing a moment of silence before every game this weekend?

Will the Browns hold theirs at, say, 10am?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am

googleeph2 wrote:Sooo... the league is apparently announcing a moment of silence before every game this weekend?

I think that is a bad idea in Cleveland. I can't imagine a stadium of drunk Browns fans actually observing a moment of silence for Modell. They'd be better off skipping it here.

I hope they do it, though. I want to see what happens.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:09 am

motherscratcher wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:Sooo... the league is apparently announcing a moment of silence before every game this weekend?

I think that is a bad idea in Cleveland. I can't imagine a stadium of drunk Browns fans actually observing a moment of silence for Modell. They'd be better off skipping it here.

You already spelled it out, dummy.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby LarsHancock » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 am

The Browns are planning on holding their moment of silence with 4:00 left in the 4th quarter. Of course, the stadium will be empty by then, and the souls of the fans crushed, because we'll be down by 38 points.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:42 am

LarsHancock wrote:The Browns are planning on holding their moment of silence with 4:00 left in the 4th quarter. Of course, the stadium will be empty by then, and the souls of the fans crushed, because we'll be down by 38 points.

Ouch.

Maybe they can make an early announcement that during the 2:00 warning in the 4th quarter, a special moment of silence will be held. Novel way to keep the place full. They could do that all season.
googleeph2

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:49 am

I don't believe in any afterlife nonsense, so I'm of the mind that he's not somewhere "burning" or "suffering", he's just entered oblivion like everyone else. So he's free of everyone's hatreds, and we're free of his existence.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

I've been over him for a while now, especially since he got forced out in Baltimore and now no longer has anything to do with anything. So he's just another dead person that I don't care about.

The only thing pissing me off is the rash of revisionist history that's been accompanying this. You can say "Aw, too bad", but there's no need to make excuses for the guy now - he's taking a dirt nap and can't hear you.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:52 am

tWWL will mandate it right before the national anthem so they can have live coverage for their 'Cleveland Misery / Cleveland Still Can't Get Over It' narrative.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Since most fans are still drinking in the Muni at 1:00, I think the Stadium will be silent enough.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Loud boos and several people cursing sounds like a proper salute from a liquored-up Cleveland fan base. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it.

I neither regret nor revel in Art's passing. The man was an idiot to not be able to capitalize on certain deals throughout the years that would've kept the team in Cleveland, combined with the Jake opening in 1994 (on the property that he was given first crack at). I also blame the NFL a little bit, for awarding the 1995 expansion franchises to the exact wrong cities, going with Jacksonville and Carolina versus Baltimore and St. Louis... if they hadn't screwed that one up then, the NFL could be completely different.

Here's a fantastic foreshadowing of the screwup by the archived NY Times. Hilarious.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/09/22/sport ... -game.html
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby municipalmutt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

I wish I still lived up there. This would be a great opportunity to open up a stand in the muni lot and sell orange and brown vuvuzelas before the game. Moment of silence my ass.
municipalmutt

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I don't believe in any afterlife nonsense, so I'm of the mind that he's not somewhere "burning" or "suffering", he's just entered oblivion like everyone else. So he's free of everyone's hatreds, and we're free of his existence.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

I've been over him for a while now, especially since he got forced out in Baltimore and now no longer has anything to do with anything. So he's just another dead person that I don't care about.

The only thing pissing me off is the rash of revisionist history that's been accompanying this. You can say "Aw, too bad", but there's no need to make excuses for the guy now - he's taking a dirt nap and can't hear you.

Solid take.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Usually I'd agree with you for the sake of entertainment purposes, but his time I cannot.

Cleveland admittedly did it self proud on the night of LeBron's return, didn't embarrass itself and showed a decent level of maturity. However this is a whole other level IMO. A moment of silence to acknowledge Art before Sunday's game spells embarrassing moment for CTown IMO.

Plus IMO the NFL is better off with today's news simply from the standpoint that Art IS getting into the HOF, it's only a matter of time, and it will go down much better without him being there in person.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 pm

See, I disagree. I do not think he'll make it to the HOF. Art will get a 'bounce' (in political convention speak) for a time, but as time goes on, his support will fade. His contemporaries are already passing. I remember Jerry Jones being considered the next generation of NFL owners.

I am not worked up over his death- more melancholy, as I think Lars describes. Reliving the move, a little. What will fire me up a lot will be if the HOF thing appears close. Wow, can you imagine the induction?

EDIT: God Bless Tony Grossi
googleeph2

Unread postby Bigfist » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Winston Churchill was usually magnanimous with even his staunchest opponents (even Chamberlain) at the time of their death, but of Stanley Baldwin he said "I have no ill will toward the man, but the world would be a better place had he never lived." My feelings about Art.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I feel absoutely the same about him now that he's dead as when he was alive. I didn't kill him, so why should I feel bad he's dead? What is done is done, and he had to live with it.

A moment of silence to honor a dead Art Modell is the same as a moment of silence to honor an alive Art Modell as far as I am concerned. Fuck him in his ear.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:14 pm

googleeph2 wrote:See, I disagree. I do not think he'll make it to the HOF. Art will get a 'bounce' (in political convention speak) for a time, but as time goes on, his support will fade. His contemporaries are already passing. I remember Jerry Jones being considered the next generation of NFL owners.

I am not worked up over his death- more melancholy, as I think Lars describes. Reliving the move, a little. What will fire me up a lot will be if the HOF thing appears close. Wow, can you imagine the induction?

Look I don't like the man more than the next JB, but he did plenty of things for the game of football and was a very respected owner for a long time. He's a lock, and a cock.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

FUDU wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:See, I disagree. I do not think he'll make it to the HOF. Art will get a 'bounce' (in political convention speak) for a time, but as time goes on, his support will fade. His contemporaries are already passing. I remember Jerry Jones being considered the next generation of NFL owners.

Look I don't like the man more than the next JB, but he did plenty of things for the game of football and was a very respected owner for a long time. He's a lock, and a cock.

The Hall of Fame and Sunday are very much related.

Cause the guy woulda been in years ago save the fact they didn't want a friggin' circus down in Canton, taking away from the ceremony and whomever the other inductees woulda been.

And it's going to be a drunken embarrassment down there this Sunday. From the lifers who are scrambling to find their extra bed sheets to magic marker an Art's dead pun, to the idiots in the dawg pound Mother f'in and throwin' shit.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been to a game.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 pm

leadpipe wrote:The Hall of Fame and Sunday are very much related.

Cause the guy woulda been in years ago save the fact they didn't want a friggin' circus down in Canton, taking away from the ceremony and whomever the other inductees woulda been.

And it's going to be a drunken embarrassment down there this Sunday. From the lifers who are scrambling to find their extra bed sheets to magic marker an Art's dead pun, to the idiots in the dawg pound Mother f'in and throwin' shit.

Not so sure about Sunday at CBS, LP. Sure there will be a couple of embarrassing idiots there...who would bet against that? But the fans and the whole crowd experience have been so sanitized lately (much like the game itself has been) with Policy's closed circuit cameras trained on the fans at all times...the number to "text to report fan misbehavior" on display at all times on the scoreboards...Christ, you get thrown out these days just for standing up...at least you used to have to take a swing at somebody or pour a beer over someone's head.

I'm not in the Pound, but I could throw a brick into it from where I sit, and it's so much tamer than it used to be it's not even recognizable.

I don't think Art's death will put him over the top into the HOF. If he wasn't worthy in life, this doesn't make him more so. But you're right...it would be an embarrassment to the NFL if that day in Canton ever comes.

What slays me is this ridiculous notion that Art on the TV committee was responsible for the NFL becoming a hot TV property. Daffy Duck could have chaired that committee and the TV rights for the NFL would have exploded just the same.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree with Lead, the NFL/Canton are very much aware of Cleveland fans plans for a Canton trip. Why take the chance is the way they looked at it IMO.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm

1. I sat in the Dawg Pound last year, and it was tame like a French poodle. And the angle sucks.

2. I couldn't care less if Art gets in the HoF now that he's worm food.
Hikohadon

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm

danwismar wrote:
leadpipe wrote:The Hall of Fame and Sunday are very much related.

Not so sure about Sunday at CBS, LP. Sure there will be a couple of embarrassing idiots there...who would bet against that? But the fans and the whole crowd experience have been so sanitized lately (much like the game itself has been) with Policy's closed circuit cameras trained on the fans at all times...the number to "text to report fan misbehavior" on display at all times on the scoreboards...Christ, you get thrown out these days just for standing up...at least you used to have to take a swing at somebody or pour a beer over someone's head.

I'm not in the Pound, but I could throw a brick into it from where I sit, and it's so much tamer than it used to be it's not even recognizable.

I don't think Art's death will put him over the top into the HOF. If he wasn't worthy in life, this doesn't make him more so. But you're right...it would be an embarrassment to the NFL if that day in Canton ever comes.

What slays me is this ridiculous notion that Art on the TV committee was responsible for the NFL becoming a hot TV property. Daffy Duck could have chaired that committee and the TV rights for the NFL would have exploded just the same.

Dan, this is the same crowd that when the Ravens come to town you still get double digit signs in the muny that are along the line of "Ray Lewis sucks, Modell swallows.

Unfunny and past it's time - kinda like the Dawg Pound itself.

Only thing that saves it is the timing. If it's early enough it might skate, but if it's right before kick - considering the warm weather will give the lifers an early start time in the muny, I'd expect a pathetic display.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Where in the Pound Hiko? I'm in 119 about 15 rows up and it's the best angle I had since standing on the sidelines. Loves that view of the game.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Look at it this way, if Moddell never owned the Browns JB (and others here) wouldn't have been working fax machines and courts to bring Cleveland this glorious era of football known as the new Browns.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:Where in the Pound Hiko? I'm in 119 about 15 rows up and it's the best angle I had since standing on the sidelines. Loves that view of the game.

LMFAO ^^^^^^^^

I have right here in front of me 13 tickets to the Chargers game.....

Sec 119

Row 15

Seats 3- 15

...and to make your day, FUDU will be there, too

:thumb up:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Look at it this way, if Moddell never owned the Browns JB (and others here) wouldn't have been working fax machines and courts to bring Cleveland this glorious era of football known as the new Browns.

Which is exactly why every Browns fan needs to show their ass during the moment of silence. Fuck that guy. I'll be booing loudly from 600 miles away, and that will probably be the most emotion I show all season.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:53 pm

FUDU wrote:I agree with Lead, the NFL/Canton are very much aware of Cleveland fans plans for a Canton trip. Why take the chance is the way they looked at it IMO.

"The NFL" doesn't vote...writers vote.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Where in the Pound Hiko? I'm in 119 about 15 rows up and it's the best angle I had since standing on the sidelines. Loves that view of the game.

LMFAO ^^^^^^^^

Sec 119

Row 15

Seats 3- 15

Awesome. I picked the right year to sell the season tix. Got face value for them too. ;-) ;) :wink:

And I maintain the rights each year for ten years down the road when they're decent.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Don't get me wrong, Lead. I'd be the last guy to vouch for the class, intelligence and good taste of the average Browns fan. But just comparing the 70's and 80's with today...there's just no comparison.

danwismar

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 pm

danwismar wrote:
FUDU wrote:I agree with Lead, the NFL/Canton are very much aware of Cleveland fans plans for a Canton trip. Why take the chance is the way they looked at it IMO.

"The NFL" doesn't vote...writers vote.

Of course, and even more reason Art will get in. Probably the next class.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:

LMFAO ^^^^^^^^

Sec 119

Row 15

Seats 3- 15

:yes:

FUDU

Unread postby c11058 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:02 am

This'll make you puke....

http://inagist.com/search?q=Ray Lewis :fu:
c11058

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:43 am

c11058 wrote:This'll make you puke....

http://inagist.com/search?q=Ray Lewis :fu:

?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 am

I think it was right around there. I had a hard time seeing what was going on at the far end of the field, and it seemed like the whole game took place down there. Spent more than a little time watching the jumbotron.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 am

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 am

Hikohadon wrote:

I think it was right around there. I had a hard time seeing what was going on at the far end of the field, and it seemed like the whole game took place down there. Spent more than a little time watching the jumbotron.

I like the "upper pound" seats. You're basically in the same seat as the all-22 tape records from. Great way to see the whole field on every play, passing trees, running lanes etc.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

gotribe31 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

I like the "upper pound" seats. You're basically in the same seat as the all-22 tape records from. Great way to see the whole field on every play, passing trees, running lanes etc.

See, I think I'd prefer that. We were almost too low.
Hikohadon

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 am

Hikohadon wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Swing up anytime. There are usually plenty of good seats around us by the 3rd quarter.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 am

gotribe31 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Swing up anytime. There are usually plenty of good seats around us by the 3rd quarter.

I'm gonna sneak up on you. You'll never guess it's me until i'm spinning you above me head yelling "weeeeeeeeeeee!".
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 am

gotribe31 wrote:Swing up anytime. There are usually plenty of good seats around us by the 3rd quarter.

Hikohadon

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am

HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_browns_will_give_app.html

BEREA, Ohio - After giving it careful thought, the Browns have decided to give some type of appropriate recognition to the passing of Art Modell during the pregame of Sunday's opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"We're trying strike the right balance,'' Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis said today. "We want to show respect and dignity for Modell's family, the community and the fans.''

Gulkis did not specify whether it would be a moment of silence or something else, but the Browns are trying to be respectful of their fans who are still angry at Modell for moving the team to Baltimore in 1996.

:pop:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:42 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/09/cleveland_browns_will_give_app.html

BEREA, Ohio - After giving it careful thought, the Browns have decided to give some type of appropriate recognition to the passing of Art Modell during the pregame of Sunday's opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"We're trying strike the right balance,'' Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis said today. "We want to show respect and dignity for Modell's family, the community and the fans.''

Gulkis did not specify whether it would be a moment of silence or something else, but the Browns are trying to be respectful of their fans who are still angry at Modell for moving the team to Baltimore in 1996.

:pop:

I'm sure they will pull it off just fine. This organization rarely fucks anything up.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL