Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU 2013 commitment HS Game results

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU 2013 commitment HS Game results

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:29 am

Thought I would throw this out there as a place to consolidate comments for some of the senior season results for tOSU commits. I don't watch much OH HS football, so all I am going to see are some stats and highlights, but it is still nice to know who is really turning it on for their senior season.

That said, all I have for this first post is Jalin Marshall:

Marshall (QB) ran the ball 23 times for 312 yards and 3 TDS against ST. X! WOW. He went 6/13 for 67 yards throwing the ball, but who cares, he is a WR or wingback at tOSU.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: OSU 2013 commitment HS Game results

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am

EZE - http://www.semissourian.com/story/1886420.html

Billy Price - http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/aug/25/p ... -fitchs-d/

James Quick (WR Target) - http://blogs.courier-journal.com/recrui ... d-trinity/ (a week after toasting USC 5* CB commit Jalen Ramsey)

Also had seen that Shelton Gibson had himself a nice game.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:16 am

EZ-E looks like a real player. He was awesome on the camp circuit. I know the game is played with pads on, but I always want to see how legends in weaker football states (MO. in this case) do compared to top notch competition. The fact that he was almost interchangeable with Smoke Mizzell says it all.

James Quick is looking like an absolutely MUST get. The kid is awesome and it is looking like he may be better than Foster. Quick seems to be seriously considering UofL, I just hope he sees some of Meyer's offense at tOSU before walking to far down that road. Would be really hard to stomach losing a kid to FUCKING LOUISVILLE.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm

furls wrote:
James Quick is looking like an absolutely MUST get. The kid is awesome and it is looking like he may be better than Foster. Quick seems to be seriously considering UofL, I just hope he sees some of Meyer's offense at tOSU before walking to far down that road. Would be really hard to stomach losing a kid to FUCKING LOUISVILLE.

Is he any realtion to Mike Quick?

There'$ only one rea$on Loui$ville would be of any intere$t.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Because he plays in Louisville at perennial top five national power-house Trinity and has had a relationship with a very good coach (Charlie Strong) there for years?

Because that is why.

That said, another Trinity STUD has already decommited to UL due to rumors Strong may leave after this year, so who knows what happens. Strong is a force down in Kentucky when it comes to owning Trinity and will stay as much as long as he stays there.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Because he plays in Louisville at perennial top five national power-house Trinity and has had a relationship with a very good coach (Charlie Strong) there for years?

Because that is why.

That said, another Trinity STUD has already decommited to UL due to rumors Strong may leave after this year, so who knows what happens. Strong is a force down in Kentucky when it comes to owning Trinity and will stay as much as long as he stays there.

Meh. It's F'n Louisville. I don't care if Rick Pitino dates him Mom.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Any kid that signs an LOI with Louisville and thinks that they are going to play 3-4 years with Charlie Strong is fucking crazy. He is one of the fast movers in coaching now, and he will be a HC at a major program in the very near future. Any shot he takes over for Muschamp in 2 years at UF?

I just keep reading that the kid is a homebody and doesn't want to move far away. That stacks up well for tOSU as it is just up the road, as long as they can get past UofL. I would love to see the Bucks finish with Quick and Gibson. I saw Devon Allen last weekend and was not impressed, granted he played TOP NOTCH competition, but he still looked like a straight line fast trackstar playing football.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:14 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Because he plays in Louisville at perennial top five national power-house Trinity and has had a relationship with a very good coach (Charlie Strong) there for years?

Because that is why.

Meh. It's F'n Louisville. I don't care if Rick Pitino dates him Mom.

FWIW His father ran track and played football at Louisville. That type of shit out weighs logic from time to time.
ole uncle charle

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:27 am

This week's prep report: http://theozone.net/recruiting/2012_13/ ... t09_4.html

Highlights:

Tracy Sprinkle (DL), Elyria, OH Elyria HS
Elyria moved to 2-0 on the season with a 43-7 win over Elyria Catholic. Sprinkle continued an amazing statistical season with 5.5 sacks, seven tackles for loss and nine total total tackles. He also had a fumble recovery and four quarterback hurries. Most of it came from the inside. That moves his two-game season total to 20 tackles, eleven tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks.

Ezekiel Elliott (RB), St. Louis, MO, John Burroughs HS
This game was ended early due to rain and thunder, but it was Elliott who provided the lightning in Burroughs' 35-0 win over Lutheran South. Elliott touched the ball just a handful of times and scored on runs of 64, 63 and 19 yards, and also had an 89-yard touchdown catch. Elliott finished with five carries for 157 yards. In two games, he now has 20 carries for 269 yards rushing and five touchdowns. He also had a 49-yard touchdown reception and 60-yard punt return touchdown in the season opener.

J.T. Barrett (QB), Wichita Falls, TX Rider HS
Barrett's Rider team finally opened the season, but fell to Cooper 43-36 via a last-minute touchdown. Barrett threw a 67-yard touchdown pass with three minutes to play in the game to make it 35-34 Cooper. Rider went for two and Barrett picked it up on the ground to take the fleeting 36-35 lead. Barrett finished with 21 carries for 160 yards and two touchdowns, and was 9-22 passing for 271 yards and two touchdowns.

Taivon Jacobs (WR), District Heights, MD Suitland HS
Jacobs led his Suitland team to a 40-0 win over McKinley Tech. He had a rushing touchdown and a receiving touchdown, as well as a 76-yard interception return for a touchdown. His play on the defensive side of the ball earned him notice in the Washington Post's "All Met Watch" for players in the DC metropolitan area. His play on the offensive side of the ball last season earned him preseason recognition on the same list.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 pm

There are some that think Sprinkle might be the best player in Ohio this year (over even Marshall and Burrows). He is becoming the "hipster" pick. I am just glad he is coming to C-Bus.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:49 am

Talked to a friend who saw Fitch play last week, and said Billy Price was just incredible. Said he completely disrupted everything the offense was trying to do all night. Says he's now 6'3 or 6'4, and between 300 and 310...and cut...not an ounce of fat on him..."John Simon...but bigger". I forget who the opponent was, and the weight thing is unconfirmed, but the guy couldn't have been more impressed, and he's a guy who knows H.S. football.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 am

Maybe we can get JB to get his head out of Iggy's ass long enough to drive 15 minutes and watch a local OSU commit instead of driving two hours to watch a massively overrated Catholic shithole with one BCS recruit on the roster.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 am

furls wrote:He is becoming the "hipster" pick.

I hadn't noticed e0y2e3 mentioning him at all. Can't be all that huge a 'hipster' pick.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 am

peeker643 wrote:
furls wrote:He is becoming the "hipster" pick.

I hadn't noticed e0y2e3 mentioning him at all. Can't be all that huge a 'hipster' pick.

He's mentioned him. He could tell you where, but you've probably never heard of it.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 pm

danwismar wrote:Talked to a friend who saw Fitch play last week, and said Billy Price was just incredible. Said he completely disrupted everything the offense was trying to do all night. Says he's now 6'3 or 6'4, and between 300 and 310...and cut...not an ounce of fat on him..."John Simon...but bigger". I forget who the opponent was, and the weight thing is unconfirmed, but the guy couldn't have been more impressed, and he's a guy who knows H.S. football.

I heard Price was camping over 300lbs all summer. Put him in Marriotti's program for a year and he will be 325. He is sounding more like a 0 or 1 Tech every month, he was projected at SSDE or 3Tech when the year started. NTs are tough to find and tOSU could have 3 very promising prospects in Schutt, Hill and Price.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:26 pm

I watched Austintown Fitch play against Warren Harding. Harding's line was MASSIVE and Price did not look that tall or that heavy. What he did look like was a ***** star no-miss. He beat his guy off the ball continuously and they simply could not run the ball to his side all night.
He crushed their MSU tailback recruit late in the game and caused the fumble to seal the victory. B-E-A-S-T!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 am

furls wrote:
danwismar wrote:Talked to a friend who saw Fitch play last week, and said Billy Price was just incredible. Said he completely disrupted everything the offense was trying to do all night. Says he's now 6'3 or 6'4, and between 300 and 310...and cut...not an ounce of fat on him..."John Simon...but bigger". I forget who the opponent was, and the weight thing is unconfirmed, but the guy couldn't have been more impressed, and he's a guy who knows H.S. football.

I heard Price was camping over 300lbs all summer. Put him in Marriotti's program for a year and he will be 325. He is sounding more like a 0 or 1 Tech every month, he was projected at SSDE or 3Tech when the year started. NTs are tough to find and tOSU could have 3 very promising prospects in Schutt, Hill and Price.

I still think he is 50-50 to end up on offense because of team needs. But either way glad to hear hes playing that well.

Put it this way, if he does stay on defense, you can be assured you have a future star because he's going to have to make a dent in a serious talent pool to keep him there.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

An article from the Vindicator on Price (says he's 6' 4", 312)

http://www.vindy.com/news/2012/aug/23/f ... e-falcons/

There's a highlight video of him in the Harding game,(sorry, it's $$$ content) but he looks every bit of 300+ and on the plays they show, he is disruptive to say the least. He doesn't look all that quick, but beastly big and strong.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 am

Thing is, even if Price doesn't make it on the D-Line he could almost assuredly just move over to play guard (similar to Donovan Munger who still apparently is probably going to end up in this class).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 am

Might even be able to play RT. I think he's a player whichever side he ends up on.....
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:16 am

Honestly, the kids I know that played with him at Fitch (he was a couple of grades younger) always said that his talent is out of this world but he was too "nice" of a monster. Constant feed-back I have heard is that if his attitude evolved this year no one was going to stop him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm

B.P. is listed @ 6' 4" 300LBS, on a non-vindi site. Like I said, if he is 6' 4" > 300lbs he is wearing real thick orthotics and is chiseled like Hercules.
Cause those offensive lineman at Harding had to all be 6' 6" 380 ( the tackles were). I won't argue metrics. He is big enough and good enough and damn glad the Bucks came calling.

As a personal service to CDT I will get a "better" up close and personal metric next week.;)
pod2dawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:57 pm

pod2dawg wrote:B.P. is listed @ 6' 4" 300LBS, on a non-vindi site. Like I said, if he is 6' 4" > 300lbs he is wearing real thick orthotics and is chiseled like Hercules.
Cause those offensive lineman at Harding had to all be 6' 6" 380 ( the tackles were). I won't argue metrics. He is big enough and good enough and damn glad the Bucks came calling.

As a personal service to CDT I will get a "better" up close and personal metric next week.;)

It's like looking in the mirror.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:24 pm

I just learned that this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo is EZ-E's high school coach.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I just learned that this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo is EZ-E's high school coach.

Im sure the Level of HS Football in Mizzou is lacking, and i get the washout rate of star RB recruits (sam maldonaldo comes to mind) but damn EZE in the Harvin role is just what this team needs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1330009-ohio-state-football-recruiting-desperately-seeking-the-zeke
ole uncle charle

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Between Jalin Marshall, EZ-E and the kid from Maryland (that is just stomping his league as well) they'll be fine.

Honestly, those guys are going to produce such great slash type playmakers that my only concern is getting a legit outside threat WR at this point and James Quick (the only target left) has already gone to two UL games and plans on attending all of them....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:05 pm

You know, I think Devin Smith could be a pretty good split end. He has the athleticism and has decent size. I just wonder if the we don't throw the deep outside routes and posts due to Miller's accuracy issues or WR's ability to get open. You can't really tell if WRs are getting separation if the ball is not thrown to them unless you have coaches film or actually attend the game. On TV, you can only tell where the ball went, not where it should have or could have gone.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Between Jalin Marshall, EZ-E and the kid from Maryland (that is just stomping his league as well) they'll be fine.

I have no idea which of those three guys I am most excited about. I think Traivon Jacobs (WR from MD) ends up in the slot. Marshall seems like a good candidate for the Harvin Role with EZ-E as a change of pace option in the backfield?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

http://cuswordsblog.com/2012/09/11/seco ... state-ucf/

Hartman thinks it is a combination of Miller reads leading to issues and more importantly the opposing teams just refusing to lose over the top.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:35 pm

EZ-E's first three games highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=e ... BXbrRTSWWc

(Damn shame I doubt Marshall or EZ-E are on campus next spring with how much they enjoy the "other" sports)

Bosa was on ESPN tonight and was supposedly a monster (and his little brother, playing DE as a true Freshman also looks like a stud). He's been battling a concussion the last two weeks, so this is good news.

For anyone that doesn't understand how athletic Joey Bosa is, this is a 280 pound high school D-End that put on like 30 pounds this off-season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8fq7j-L__I
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:17 am

I think Marshall and Elliot are going to end up competing for early PT and certainly for touches (particularly early fr./soph year). They project to similar (but different positions) and are less likely to be on the field at the same time (early).

Elliot will be the scat back/change of pace back for Dunn. Marshall will be the Jet Sweep guy/slot receiver type a la Harvin at least that is the way it looks before either of them show up at a practice. Now that said, things change and I could see them playing the same position if Marshall has difficulty adjusting to WR. If I were advising either of these guys, I would tell him that he needs to show up in January. The advantage garnered by that few extra months of S&C and practice is huge. It guaranteed Bri'onte Dunn an early look over Warren Ball and in the case of Elliot/Marshall it could mean the difference in preferred Fr. playmaker status as I doubt we see both on the field at the same time early in their careers.

At this point, I know I will catch shit for this, but I am slightly more excited about Elliot as I think he has less work to do to transition to the NCAA.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:50 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
For anyone that doesn't understand how athletic Joey Bosa is, this is a 280 pound high school D-End that put on like 30 pounds this off-season.

Bosa is freakish at his size he has the agility of a running back. He is at a different level for DE. He abused Bosco last night. Man, hats off to Urban for landing this MONSTER. WoWWWWWW!
pod2dawg

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

We are seeing that Noah Spence is athletic enough, but just not physically ready for B1G football. Bosa will not have that problem as a freshman, like A-Wash, Bosa is ready to play his senior year in the B1G.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:25 pm

furls wrote:I think Marshall and Elliot are going to end up competing for early PT and certainly for touches (particularly early fr./soph year). They project to similar (but different positions) and are less likely to be on the field at the same time (early).

Elliot will be the scat back/change of pace back for Dunn. Marshall will be the Jet Sweep guy/slot receiver type a la Harvin at least that is the way it looks before either of them show up at a practice. Now that said, things change and I could see them playing the same position if Marshall has difficulty adjusting to WR. If I were advising either of these guys, I would tell him that he needs to show up in January. The advantage garnered by that few extra months of S&C and practice is huge. It guaranteed Bri'onte Dunn an early look over Warren Ball and in the case of Elliot/Marshall it could mean the difference in preferred Fr. playmaker status as I doubt we see both on the field at the same time early in their careers.

At this point, I know I will catch shit for this, but I am slightly more excited about Elliot as I think he has less work to do to transition to the NCAA.

FWIW
EZE through 4 games Rush TD of 12,36,64,63,47,1,41,2,62,29,7,76 rec td of 29,89,19 two punts for 62,56 The level of compition has been zero but he does have a game coming up against a ranked team.
ole uncle charle

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm

My son's team will be playing recruit Darron Lee from New Albany on 9/28. I am interested to see how he looks.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:06 pm

There is no point in even keeping this thread going. What Traivon Jacobs and EZ-E are doing is just absurd. I don't care if EZ-E is playing a bunch of nuns of every week, fucking fuck.

And Traivon is averaging like 50 a touch this year.

They both win.

Now if you want to talk about the DBs, linemen, or Jalin/D-Lee playing QB be my guest, but no player in this class is going to top the explosive stupidity of those two.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I kind of shrugged when the Bucks landed EZ-E and Jacobs.... mistake. I honestly cannot think of a player on OSU that even reminds me of EZ-E, Jacobs reminds me of DeAnthony Thomas.

EZ-E is like Jordan Hall, but has so much more upside that the comparison is absurd. I am more excited about these 2 than I am about any other players in the 13 class (Bosa, Burrows, Marshall included). They are both perfect fits for this offense, now if they could just land an elite split end to go with Smith in 2 years!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:59 pm

And the best thing about EZ-E isn't just EZ-E, it is him plus Dunn (who, I assume, will learn the playbook at some point).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I don't know how I feel about Dunn to be honest with you. There were a lot of rumors during his recruitment that he was a bad teammate, some D-bag actions at games (taunting other fans by grabbing his junk), then you have the weed thing and now the playbook thing. I am beginning to wonder if he will ever matter at tOSU. Still early, but there are tons of red flags.

Marshall would be a good guy for that flanker screen, he has the quicks to make a guy miss, has great acceleration and he is a surprisingly powerful runner.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 pm

I mean, Percy Harvin comes to mind as the easiest pot smocking cock sucker to talk about....

Dunn has enough talent he was the #2 TB for three games.

That's enough for me.

(and watching Braxton and everyone else struggle to learn this offense makes me realize how fucking hard it must be to do as a true freshman... today is the first we have really seen of Mr. Spring Game.)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 pm

BTW: When I was a senior in high school I knocked a kid out cold, pretended to piss on him and then was chased around the field by his head coach. If the JJ-Huddle archives go back to my senior year you'll find a real long thread about that game and the game I tried to tear the nutsack off of our arch-rivals running back in a pile and then spit in his face.

In college I grew up a bit and never did anything of that sort.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Kids grow up, but there are red flags. No doubt about the talent.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:39 pm

What's the deal with Kareem Hunt? Kid has been tearing it up for a few years now, but I never hear him mentioned here. Just a little too small for a BCS school? Mac talent?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:44 pm

motherscratcher wrote:What's the deal with Kareem Hunt? Kid has been tearing it up for a few years now, but I never hear him mentioned here. Just a little too small for a BCS school? Mac talent?

MAC Grades (just kidding). He is a nice player, not quite at the level that tOSU is looking for but he would definitely be a B1G caliber player if his academic house was in order.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:53 pm

furls wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:What's the deal with Kareem Hunt? Kid has been tearing it up for a few years now, but I never hear him mentioned here. Just a little too small for a BCS school? Mac talent?

MAC Grades (just kidding). He is a nice player, not quite at the level that tOSU is looking for but he would definitely be a B1G caliber player if his academic house was in order.

So, bad grades? Huh.

I'll bet if he was 6'2" 230lb he'd be a lot smarter.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:45 am

Only if he used it to extort better grades from classmates. Every year there are some pretty good players that tOSU (and others) have to pass on because of grades. Some that come to mind: Latwan Anderson (tOSU coaches could not get him through admissions), Tank Carradine (ended up at JUCO then FSU), Andre Sturdivant, Shaq Rowell.... and the list goes on.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am

Kid has an offer from Pitt and WVU and Iowa are starting to look at him.

Lord knows why any RB ever would sign with Iowa though. It's pretty much signing up to be struck by lightening or hit by a bus.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 am

Someone I know close to South's Athletic Department says Brian Kelly is starting to sniff around as well.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 am

It should be noted though, teams sniffing around and offering doesn't mean Furls isn't right about the grades. Shelton Gibson would have been a Buckeye in June if his ACT was up to par and we're still sitting here in October waiting for the kid to get the necessary score to finally join this class. Thankfully the kid is having a monster year and still favors OSU by a lot.

And man, I had forgotten about Andre Sturdivant. Four star DE ends up flunking himself all the way down to Toledo. He was teammates with Cardale Jones (same year) who flunked himself all the way down to Fork Union Academy before he could take his OSU schollie. Those two must have really worked hard at G-Ville.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:00 pm

In both of their defenses, they did go to Cleveland public schools. I have no idea how any kid from CPS gets a 15 on the ACT, I guess if I took half the exam for them maybe. Those schools are shamefully terrible. The problem isn't just HS kids that can't make the grade in that case, it is a school system that is broken from K to 8 as well.

The persisting rumor with Hunt is that it is a combination of competition and grades that are keeping his offer list down. He isn't exactly playing a St. Ignatius type schedule, but he is still clearly talented. His stats would mean more if he was playing the state powerhouses. If I recall correctly South is a Div II school?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Next

Return to College Sports Arena