Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Roster Moves

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Roster Moves

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Fans chanting is one thing. Mark Kay Cabot and various other media asking all the coaches and players about the backup QB constantly is another. If you want to claim that won't be a distraction, that's fine. I myself don't see how it can't be.

Tim Tebow would've been a nice addition for the Jets as a wildcat weapon if not for the media surge that accompanies him. Would you say Tebow's presence isn't a distraction? And Tebow, despite being a bad QB, has a TON more value than Colt.

I will also admit having developed a personal dislike for Colt for the same reason that I dislike Tebow, and can certainly see my objectivity on the matter eclipsed by my desire to never see his stupid little face again.

Let's hope you're right and now that the real season has begun we never have to discuss Doe Eyes again.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Fans chanting is one thing. Mark Kay Cabot and various other media asking all the coaches and players about the backup QB constantly is another. If you want to claim that won't be a distraction, that's fine. I myself don't see how it can't be.

Tim Tebow would've been a nice addition for the Jets as a wildcat weapon if not for the media surge that accompanies him. Would you say Tebow's presence isn't a distraction? And Tebow, despite being a bad QB, has a TON more value than Colt.

I will also admit having developed a personal dislike for Colt for the same reason that I dislike Tebow, and can certainly see my objectivity on the matter eclipsed by my desire to never see his stupid little face again.

Let's hope you're right and now that the real season has begun we never have to discuss Doe Eyes again.

I agree with you to a point, but Tim Tebow is a Category 5 Hurricane while Colt McCoy is a tropical storm. Both tend to change your weekend plans, but if you live in Florida, you don't get too excited about the tropical storms.

Bottom line is if this front office can't handle the tattered remnants of the Plain Dealer and the ABJ, then it's time for Haslem to put in a new front office.

On a side note, I am gleefully looking forward to watching Tim Tebow completely tear the Jets apart this year while Rex Ryan has his first heart attack on the sidelines. It's a great subplot of the season that doesn't involve the Browns sucking.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 pm

With very few exceptions, you only have a quarterback controversy when both guys can't play.

If Weeden's a playa - no controversy.

If he blows,we're F'd no matter who's cryin.'
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:24 pm

From the aforementioned PD: Your 2012 Browns Practice Squad

The Browns signed the following players to their practice squad: linebacker Ben Jacobs, defensive lineman Ronnie Cameron, offensive linemen Garth Gerhart, Jarrod Shaw, and Jeff Shugarts, fullback Brad Smelley, receiver Josh Cooper and linebacker Solomon Elimimian.

Other roster moves:
They waived/injured defensive tackle Scott Paxson and waived defensive lineman Brian Sanford.

They were awarded two players via waivers: linebacker Tank Carder from Buffalo and defensive tackle Ishmaa'ily Kitchen from Baltimore. Kitchem, a rookie, played at Kent State.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm

leadpipe wrote:With very few exceptions, you only have a quarterback controversy when both guys can't play.

If Weeden's a playa - no controversy.

If he blows,we're F'd no matter who's cryin.'

Hard to argue with that. If Weeden sucks, the Browns have a lot bigger problems then a bunch of fools chanting for their dreamboat.

As I said, I think my personal feelings towards the guy affect my objectivity, which is foolish, especially when I always espouse avoiding personal attachments to the players.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Objectively... if Weeden goes down for an extended period of time and the team has a crap record, I'd rather see Lewis play out the season than McCoy. He has enough upside to be interesting long-term; Colt does not.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:16 am

So, now tht cuts have been made, who is out there that can help? Are there any upgrades/depth at LB or OG?

I would have included DB in that but it seems like if we cut Sims we probably aren't looking there.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:05 am

15 rookies
10 others with either one or two years experience, so almost half the roster has 2 years or less

Considering the entire 53, average age is 26.6, average experience is 3.5 - and those numbers include some really old timers, like Parker, Brown, and Dawson

I can't see how they win more than 5 games. I also gotta think that Haslam is fully on board with the youth movement. This could work out really well in 2014. Or the whole thing could be a massive trainwreck of epic promotions. Either way, it will be fascinating to watch.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:22 pm

mattvan1 wrote:15 rookies
10 others with either one or two years experience, so almost half the roster has 2 years or less

Considering the entire 53, average age is 26.6, average experience is 3.5 - and those numbers include some really old timers, like Parker, Brown, and Dawson

I can't see how they win more than 5 games. I also gotta think that Haslam is fully on board with the youth movement. This could work out really well in 2014. Or the whole thing could be a massive trainwreck of epic promotions. Either way, it will be fascinating to watch.

I'm still convinced this year will be a train wreck of epic proportions yet I hope to be proven wrong. I'm very excited about Haslem, but he just came in too late to do anything about this year.

Shurmur will continue to get out-coached by just about everybody, including the guy in Row 34 who has six beers in him, and if this O-line doesn't come together in a hurry, we'll be starting our fifth QB of the season by year's end.

There will be no Weeden/McCoy debate because both probably will end up in traction before Halloween.
justmebd

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:43 pm

Trainwreck= Weeden getting injured early .

If he lasts through the season at least this young group will be getting their asses kicked together & "build" for the future.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:39 pm

pod2dawg wrote:..... at least this young group will be getting their asses kicked together & "build" for the future.

We hope. Gonna be a tough year around here on the ol' TCF boards. Because the Browns will lose. Early and often. Their record will in no way be representative of the progress or hope - people will actually need to watch the games and pay attention to the development - week to week improvements, regardless of the final score.

5-11 with some cohesion and intensity and learning - optimistic for 2013
5-11 with mutiny and despair and a rerun of the end of the Chris Palmer "era" - reboot. Again.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:..... at least this young group will be getting their asses kicked together & "build" for the future.

We hope. Gonna be a tough year around here on the ol' TCF boards. Because the Browns will lose. Early and often. Their record will in no way be representative of the progress or hope - people will actually need to watch the games and pay attention to the development - week to week improvements, regardless of the final score.

5-11 with some cohesion and intensity and learning - optimistic for 2013
5-11 with mutiny and despair and a rerun of the end of the Chris Palmer "era" - reboot. Again.

I see are real good chance for a "Dead Man Walkin'" 2nd half of the season.

A 2-7 or so start with a youth movement AND all of Haslem's cats in place is not likely to take the turn a 2-7 start with a deer in the headlights Shurmy in place.

Which is why the Browns under is a fantastic bet ILO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Is Bobby Carpenter worth a look?

*Homer goggles blah blah blah whatever.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm

mattvan1 wrote:15 rookies

I officially predicted 6, but even I find that overly optimistic. I did it since I can't think of an area where they got worse and can easily think of several areas where they got better... but how young they are... they'll probably just make too many mistakes.

More than last year. So that will maybe trump the upgrade in talent.

For instance, instead of checking down to a 4 yard gain on 3rd and 8 like Colt would do, Weeden probably heaves it into triple coverage 30 yards down the field.

And just because the defense is much quicker doesn't mean they won't overrun plays all the time since they just don't have the smarts yet.

Talent at WR doesn't mean they'll run the right routes.

The only area I'm prepared to be massively disappointed in is the O Line, even as they fiddle-fuck their way to yet another ugly record.
Hikohadon

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 pm

People seem to really trust Haslem to right the ship.

What are their exact expectations? I suspect they aren't unified.

He hasn't shared a vision or anything like that, has he?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm

googleeph2 wrote:People seem to really trust Haslem to right the ship.

If he has a plan, he's already light years better than Lerner. Since all indications are he is formulating a plan, he is ten years ahead of Lerner.

Whatever Haslem does or does not bring, it simply can not be any worse than the last 13 years.
justmebd

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm

justmebd wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:People seem to really trust Haslem to right the ship.

If he has a plan, he's already light years better than Lerner. Since all indications are he is formulating a plan, he is ten years ahead of Lerner.

Whatever Haslem does or does not bring, it simply can not be any worse than the last 13 years.

If he has an office in Berea he's 10 years ahead of Randy. The fact I know what Haslem looks like and I've heard his voice means he's ten years ahead of Randy.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Lerner gone and they've given up on Colt. It's a start.

Pray to God that Weeden can play and that Shurmur gets canned. Pretty much my hopes for this season.

Cause its gonna be ugly. All the elements are their for a total trainwreck season. Key injuries and suspensions early, an overmatched coach, a brutal schedule, a QB that can't move with no conscience and a cannon arm behind a young line and no receivers.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL