Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Hiko's BO - 8/27 edition

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Hiko's BO - 8/27 edition

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:04 pm

As usual, very solid takes & objective Hiko. You are anational treasure.

Thoughts...

As stated eralier, I have zero patience for the Browns OL "development", other than the bitch slapped Rook. The rest are vets by this point, and that includes 2nd year starters in my book. Tremendous resources have been poured into this unit, and that includes G's drafted in rounds 3 and 5 IMhO. G's are valued as such that you can inflate their expendatures by one to two rounds relative to skilled position players. They have experience now, and ifthey can't compete time to let Grecpo challenge for a strating role.

It is easy to pinpoint acountability when Pink gets pushed back or God's Gift to Left Tackles does a Kevin Shaeefer impersonation worthy of Frank Calliendo. But I have no idea if Weeds is struggling with pre-snap line sets, or alleged our alleged Mensa first round reach center is doing same. I also believe that the RB's were jogging by DLmen on their way to killings Weeds & Colt when they should have picked up the blown assignment. It is hard to tell the subtleties unless you know far more than we as fans. I do believe, however, that this may be why B Jax is running with the 1's more than Motel Ontario coughing up the rock. Even with a message sent to Montario about the butterfingers, B Jaxs' "burst" makes Terry Kirby look like Tony Dorsett and he's completely worthless as a RB. The Browns are going to have to get over the whole WCO wannabe thing and max protect some unless the OL can do a decent job. The Eagles did on Friday on a few plays for Foles. This will also be why B Jax will make the 53 man. On a related note, while I can't waitto see T Rich, putting a raw rook with eaxctly 0 fake game reps in and expecting him to fill the role in pass blocking is very, very scarrah.

I completely agree that Weeds needs to do gassers on Mt Bellichick the next time he puts the rock below his brestbone, but I have been looking hard and objectively but haven't still seen the infamous lack of pocket presence that would make me worry. You can't side-step the situations he was in unless you are Steamin Willie Beamon on the Hollywood spin move. When he has time to set his back foot he stands and he delivers. he doesn't seem flustered and he doesn't get happy feet and bail on a play too early. When he's under duress in his drop back he's meat. Looks like a pocket passer to me.

If the OL plays like this is will be a long / short season and the O's growth will be retarded like as if it were a child swimming in the Love Canal. And there is no excuse.

Food for thought, stolen from Gary Reents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Warhop

Warhop has been fired an aweful lot and has very little continuity at any of his positions.

In other news, should someone call the FBI to help find Greg Little?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Hilo's BO - 8/27 edition

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I agree on the B-Jax point and agree he makes the team. He has a pretty solid reputation as both a back who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as one who does a nice job on blitz-pro too.

That's not Ogbonnaya's strength and I'm not sure if Adonis Thomas is that guy either. And with this OL you don't take chances that your 3rd down-type back MIGHT be able to sort through the blitzes he'll see to help. I think Thomas is a Practice Squad signee. And while Hardesty has dropped everything else I don't think he's fumbled away his roster spot.....yet.

Along those lines, I think Josh Cooper's drop last week against GB and his bobble on his catch this past game cemented his status as cut down fodder.

You better have bear traps for hands if you're going to usurp Norwood in that role and though Cooper looked great in Fake Game 1 he did himself no favors the last two weeks.

I also agree Hiko is a national treasure. Just not yet sure what nation's treasure he is. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:I agree on the B-Jax point and agree he makes the team. He has a pretty solid reputation as both a back who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as one who does a nice job on blitz-pro too.

That's not Ogbonnaya's strength and I'm not sure if Adonis Thomas is that guy either. And with this OL you don't take chances that your 3rd down-type back MIGHT be able to sort through the blitzes he'll see to help. I think Thomas is a Practice Squad signee. And while Hardesty has dropped everything else I don't think he's fumbled away his roster spot.....yet.

Along those lines, I think Josh Cooper's drop last week against GB and his bobble on his catch this past game cemented his status as cut down fodder.

You better have bear traps for hands if you're going to usurp Norwood in that role and though Cooper looked great in Fake Game 1 he did himself no favors the last two weeks.

I also agree Hiko is a national treasure. Just not yet sure what nation's treasure he is. ;-) ;) :wink:

On a tangent, I love the Adonis Thomas' every year. Seems like every single year there's one UDFA or low picked RB who looks like a world beater in garbage time and everyone gets pumped.

I also think Coop is odd man out andonto the practice squad, where he prolly makes it thru the process and sticks.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm

jb wrote:As stated eralier, I have zero patience for the Browns OL "development", other than the bitch slapped Rook. The rest are vets by this point, and that includes 2nd year starters in my book. Tremendous resources have been poured into this unit, and that includes G's drafted in rounds 3 and 5 IMhO. G's are valued as such that you can inflate their expendatures by one to two rounds relative to skilled position players. They have experience now, and ifthey can't compete time to let Grecpo challenge for a strating role.

1. Pinkston IS only entering his 2nd season, and while he should improve on last year's performance I think it's a little naive to believe he'll be at his career peak already. I think he showed enough last year to deserve some benefit of doubt, esp regarding preseason play.

2. Also, a couple of plays it looked like Pinkston was supposed to pull and someone (probably Hardesty) was supposed to fill his gap, and for whatever reason, it didn't get done.

3. Lauvao is probably a different story, although I would say he's probably not at his career peak either. Like Colt, he hasn't shown enough for us to think his career peak is starting quality.

4. These guys are hardly untouchable. If the Shurminator hasn't been watching Pinkston & Lauvao versus Greco and Miller et al and evaluating them solely on performance, then he should be neutered. P & L weren't high draft picks. I HOPE P & L are playing b/c they're better (or Greco & Miller are worse).

jb wrote:It is easy to pinpoint acountability when Pink gets pushed back or God's Gift to Left Tackles does a Kevin Shaeefer impersonation worthy of Frank Calliendo. But I have no idea if Weeds is struggling with pre-snap line sets, or alleged our alleged Mensa first round reach center is doing same. I also believe that the RB's were jogging by DLmen on their way to killings Weeds & Colt when they should have picked up the blown assignment. It is hard to tell the subtleties unless you know far more than we as fans. I do believe, however, that this may be why B Jax is running with the 1's more than Motel Ontario coughing up the rock. Even with a message sent to Montario about the butterfingers, B Jaxs' "burst" makes Terry Kirby look like Tony Dorsett and he's completely worthless as a RB. The Browns are going to have to get over the whole WCO wannabe thing and max protect some unless the OL can do a decent job. The Eagles did on Friday on a few plays for Foles. This will also be why B Jax will make the 53 man. On a related note, while I can't waitto see T Rich, putting a raw rook with eaxctly 0 fake game reps in and expecting him to fill the role in pass blocking is very, very scarrah.

It is. But he looks like the only one that has the complete package enough to both pass block and run/catch the ball effectively. We hope.

jb wrote:I completely agree that Weeds needs to do gassers on Mt Bellichick the next time he puts the rock below his brestbone, but I have been looking hard and objectively but haven't still seen the infamous lack of pocket presence that would make me worry. You can't side-step the situations he was in unless you are Steamin Willie Beamon on the Hollywood spin move. When he has time to set his back foot he stands and he delivers. he doesn't seem flustered and he doesn't get happy feet and bail on a play too early. When he's under duress in his drop back he's meat. Looks like a pocket passer to me.

He looks like a rook. A rook under pressure. He showed me a little in the 2nd quarter when he stepped up a couple times to avoid the pressure that had been nailing him, but it's not like he's ever gonna beat a team with his legs. The OL is gonna have to help him, and he's gonna have to help the OL by burning the pass rush a couple times so they call off the attack.

jb wrote:If the OL plays like this is will be a long / short season and the O's growth will be retarded like as if it were a child swimming in the Love Canal. And there is no excuse.

Yep.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 am

Big dif between being at career peek and having enough reps in live action where you should be serviceable.

For Chrissake Lavao is in year 3.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:57 am

jb wrote:Big dif between being at career peek and having enough reps in live action where you should be serviceable.

Exactly. Even accounting for the soup sandwich of systems and coaches/coordinators and the revolving door of teammates. Can these two fuckknuckles move their feet and stand up defenders and open a hole or not?

I know where the answer appears to lie. We gonna give them another year and sacrifice another passer to see? One who can't escape their mistakes?

No idea what may be on the waiver wire in terms of help but I'm sure as shit looking hard.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:Big dif between being at career peek and having enough reps in live action where you should be serviceable.

Exactly. Even accounting for the soup sandwich of systems and coaches/coordinators and the revolving door of teammates. Can these two fuckknuckles move their feet and stand up defenders and open a hole or not?

I know where the answer appears to lie. We gonna give them another year and sacrifice another passer to see? One who can't escape their mistakes?

No idea what may be on the waiver wire in terms of help but I'm sure as shit looking hard.

What time is heckert scheduled to call you?
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 am

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What time is heckert scheduled to call you?

I don't mean I'M looking hard, dipshit. I mean if I'm Heckert I'm looking hard.

And he has to call me since the restraining order forbids me from calling him or getting closer than 300yards.

Which is bullshit because I just wanted to pat him on the head...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am

Please note that I did say this regarding Lauvao:

Lauvao is probably a different story, although I would say he's probably not at his career peak either. Like Colt, he hasn't shown enough for us to think his career peak is starting quality.

So they probably need a new RG next year. They also need at least one more pass rushing DE, at least one more starting quality LB (probably 2), and one more starting quality CB. At the very least. They had too many holes to fill them all in one offseason, which is why this won't be a playoff team even IF Weeden doesn't suck.

I thought we all knew this going in.

If we drafted a Guard at 22 and a RT at 37, then we still have a gaping hole at QB. If we drafted a G at 22 and Weeden at 37, we still have a gaping hole at RT. Not to mention the answers they made for the WR problems are still much more question marks than periods. Even if all the picks pan out, they still didn't have ENOUGH picks to fix this shit sandwich in just 2012.

That's why after #4 overall I didn't care about who as much as what they drafted - holes everywhere and you need to make sure each pick is an attempt to fill one. If they had gone G and RT with 22 and 37, then I probably would've felt about it about the same as what they did (although I would be blind after scratching out my eyes so I wouldn't have to watch another year of Colt McFrye QB play).
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Hikohadon wrote:So they probably need a new RG next year.

Then start Greco this year.
jb

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:48 pm

And he has to call me since the restraining order forbids me from calling him or getting closer than 300yards

300 yds?

Child's play
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:And he has to call me since the restraining order forbids me from calling him or getting closer than 300yards

300 yds?

Child's play

Child's play? Not for the Browns offense.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:52 pm

If the restarining order was against me it would have to be at least 500 yds.....

...but if I have to explain all this I can understand why the distance is 300...
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:If the restarining order was against me it would have to be at least 500 yds.....

...but if I have to explain all this I can understand why the distance is 300...

Um, yeah...I got that.

My joke was better.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:01 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:So they probably need a new RG next year.

Then start Greco this year.

Because we know that Greco is somehow better?
Hikohadon

Unread postby municipalmutt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm

In very limited action last year, Greco was able at least to open some holes on the right side. Imagine being able to run on the strong side like the other 31 teams?

From what I understand, I don't think Greco got any significant playing time last year due to the language in his contract and the compensation owed to the Rams if he played more than x amount of time.

There is going to be some bodies when everyone gets down to 53. I only hope we don't move at the usual glacial pace to correct this.

Maybe Pinkston is more suited to play RG? Have they tried changing up things in camp?
I don't know. I know one thing, a journeyman free agent RG would have helped our rookie RT more than bonehead Lauvao.
municipalmutt

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL