Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Nick Swisher and the market for Choo

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Nick Swisher and the market for Choo

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Interesting read, and could be what Choo would be worth on the open market.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/n ... -plus.html

Jayson Werth obtained a seven-year, $126MM contract after hitting .296/.388/.532 with 27 home runs and 82 walks in his age-31 season. Lozano and Swisher are expected to aim big and compare Swisher, now in his age-31 season, to Werth in the hopes of matching his $126MM deal. It would only take one unexpectedly aggressive MLB owner for Swisher to obtain $100MM so it makes sense to be aggressive, but a nine-figure contract seems unlikely.

Swisher has been amazingly consistent in his career, but is he worth $100M. I just can't see it.

Regardless, Choo's management team will be keeping close tabs on that contract as a starting place for negotiations going forward.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Nick Swisher and the market for Choo

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm

I keep seeing 100 million bandied about for Choo but I just dont see it. (With Boras though anything is possible) I see maybe 15 million a year for 5 years. .

Jayson Werth got 126 million because he hit 36 HRs and with 99 RBIs. He had big "Sexy" numbers and he was always seen as a power prospect, so the Nationals gambled thinking he was about to break out big time and was going to be the 35-40 HR 100+ RBI guy he was projected as being. Those big power guys get those big contracts. Or your premiere lead off hitters get those contracts ala Ichiro. For the most part anyways.

Im also not saying Werth is better than Choo, because I dont think he is, I think Choo is a better overall player which logically means he should make more than Werth, but I just dont think executives, when handing out 100 million dollar contracts necessarily value a Choo type of player as much as those big time power guys or premiere leadoff guys. So to me they are less likely to give that type of a financial committment to Choo. Chicks dig the long ball remember ;-) ;) :wink:

That being said, choo could hit .330 smack 25 hr and make all this moot.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Am I alone in being completely outraged by those ridiculous numbers — for men playing a boy's game? $75 million? $100 million? $126 million? Get outta here!

In my entire working career — that's 40-plus years — I've made slightly more than $2 million. Makes me wonder why I didn't spend my formative years learning how to hit a curveball. I could've retired years ago with more money than God.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Imagine what Henry Aaron feels when he sees someone like Casey Kotchman make more this year than Aaron did in his entire playing career.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB