Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Castoffs

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Castoffs

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:07 pm

I like Steve Doerschuk OK, but I can't really figure out the purpose of his article about the "success" of former Browns players (http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1333903469/Around-the-NFL-Ex-Browns-find-new-NFL-homes)

For plenty of Cleveland Browns, leaving Berea has meant the end of the line in the NFL.

You know the old line: If he can’t play for the Browns, he can’t play for anybody.

If it applied once, it doesn’t now.

You might be surprised by how many guys have traded in their orange helmets for another model.

Here is a look at where some players who had substantial runs in Cleveland are hanging out this summer.

• Wide receiver Brian Robiskie never got in a game for the Jaguars after the Browns cut him last October, but ...

In Jacksonville’s two preseason games (Giants, Saints), Robiskie has caught nine passes for 98 yards and a touchdown. He is listed at No. 3 at one of the wideout spots behind rookie Justin Blackmon and former Mount Union star Cecil Shorts.

Which makes him a 3rd string WR. In Jacksonville. Congrats, Brian.

• Quarterback Derek Anderson, 29, is the top backup (ahead of Jimmy Clausen) to Cam Newton in Carolina. In preseason outings against Texans and Dolphins backups, D.A. was a combined 14 of 27 for 206 yards.

How is "top backup" different than "backup"? All I know is that he has zero chance of seeing the field barring injury.

• Linebacker Jason Trusnik made six tackles for the Dolphins in their preseason opener against the Bucs and was promoted to the starting lineup for Friday’s game at Carolina.

Miami's Defense has been AWFUL this preseason, so this isn't a surprise.

• Maybe Bill Belichick has a thing for people who were unappreciated in Cleveland. Belichick signed Gerard Warren as a free agent in 2010, then re-signed him as a free agent last August. “Big Money” was a free agent again this past offseason.

Belichick signed him again April 30.

Another mediocre backup.

• Speedy running back Armond Smith, who raced 81 yards for a Browns TD in the 2011 preseason, ran eight times for 31 yards for the Panthers on Friday night against Miami.

That's awesome, he almost averaged 4 yards a carry against backups.

• Mike Adams, 31, is starting at safety for the Broncos.

First guy on your list that I actually would want back.

• Eric Wright, 27, is starting at cornerback for the Buccaneers.

After getting the most ridiculous contract for an average player that I've ever seen.

• Eric Steinbach, 32, is backing up Richie Ingognito at left guard for the Dolphins.

Another backup.

• Lawrence Vickers, 29, is the No. 1 fullback for the Cowboys.

OK, might want this guy back too.

• Dallas lists Eric Mangini favorite Kenyon Coleman as its No. 1 left defensive end.

Uhhhhhh, OK. Rob Ryan is a weird dude sometimes.

• Kamerion Wimbley, 28, is starting at defensive end for the Titans.

Would like to have Kam back now that we're in a 4-3.

• Quarterback Brady Quinn is Matt Cassel’s top backup in Kansas City.

Woooooo, "top backup" again!

• Running back Peyton Hillis caught an 11-yard touchdown pass and made a 28-yard run during his first two preseason series as a Chief.

I didn't see their first game, but I did watch the Chiefs loss to the Rams in week 2, and his 5 rushes for 11 yards was DAMN impressive.

• Safety Abe Elam had a first-half interception for the Chiefs last week.

Yawn.

• Sean Jones, 30, is a backup safety with the Lions. He might have been exhausted after the preseason opener, in which he made nine tackles against the Browns.

Remember thinking how used up he looked during the GLC.

• Punter Dave Zastudil had a strong 2011 with Arizona (45.2 yard average; compare that to Brad Maynard’s 40.5) after sitting out 2010 with a back problem.

Punter.

• Safety Brodney Pool signed as a free agent with the Cowboys in March. He was cut Aug. 6.

Pool’s time with the Jets peaked Jan. 23, 2011, when he intercepted Ben Roethlisberger in the AFC title game against Pittsburgh.

While we're at it, let's discuss the exploits of Lyle Alzado after he left the Browns in '82, since that has much to do with current events as what Pool did before he was cut and left jobless.

• Matt Roth’s dreams of a big payday — he talked about them openly as a 2010 Brown — took a hit when he lost seven games to injury with the Jaguars in 2011. Going on 32, Roth is a free agent.

Moving on...

• It looks like the end for Shaun Rogers. The Giants signed the 33-year-old former Browns Pro Bowler in April, but he is expected to miss the season because of a blood clot in his left calf.

I wasn't aware he was still in the league.

• Defensive end Jayme Mitchell, who started 13 games for the 2011 Browns, walked out of Tampa Bay’s camp Aug. 8, unhappy with his role.

He prefers a role as a UPS driver?

So, out of all those guys, there's 3 I wish we still had, and none of them are key.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: The Castoffs

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:55 pm

LULZ, remember when Heckert cited Mangini being a bad coach because he wouldn't play Jayme Mitchell?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:LULZ, remember when Heckert cited Mangini being a bad coach because he wouldn't play Jayme Mitchell?

I posted almost the exact same thing on twitter when I saw that news come through...lol.

"Don't know why he wasn't playing the best pass rusher on the team...."

That was basically the quote.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:47 pm

JCoz wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:LULZ, remember when Heckert cited Mangini being a bad coach because he wouldn't play Jayme Mitchell?

I posted almost the exact same thing on twitter when I saw that news come through...lol.

Look at who was on that team. He may have been right AND Hymy sucked.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:50 pm

jb wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Yep. Wasn't much left talent-wise after Mangini came and washed the rest of what had been there away.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
jb wrote:
JCoz wrote:

Yep. Wasn't much left talent-wise after Mangini came and washed the rest of what had been there away.

Read the foura & Kolt and Vickers belong in Canton.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm

You can add Brandon McDonald to that list.

I can't believe the Browns let all of those guys get away. If it wasn't broken up that team could have absolutely RULED the Big East.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL