Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Dewey Howard Soap Opera

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: Dewey Howard Soap Opera

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 am

But then the owners wouldn't make as much money!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
That said, you'll still have instances where a guy runs away from a shit organization just to make sure he doesn't KG himself.

I agree, but at least in that scenario, it would be for that reason alone and not a combination of that reason plus the money being in the same ballpark. Hell, I think Florida's lack of state tax alone would have made up for the Bird right salary difference with LeBron (if the sign and trade didn't happen).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 am

I always thought the Bird rights argument was kind of dumb. Morons shouting that LeBron took $30mil less to go to Miami. As if that last season wouldn't just be the first season of his next contract for even more money.

I like the idea of a "real" Bird rights advantage.

I wonder if it would also make sense to outlaw the sign and trade in that instance.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:51 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I always thought the Bird rights argument was kind of dumb. Morons shouting that LeBron took $30mil less to go to Miami.

Well, Larry wanted to stay in Boston. So there's that.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm half-wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea for the NBA to go full MLB: Detonate the salary cap and max salaries, and hand out free luxury tax money to the Generals.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:No arguments, my only point is that as rare as it is, the fat dude sometimes lands that really hot chick.

I still don't understand what would be wrong with making the Bird rights money actually mean something, i.e. each team getting to designate one franchise player (not binding like the NFL, just for financial purposes) and pay him $10MM per year more than the regular max and the difference doesn't count against the cap or something like that. An eight figure difference might actually make these guys think twice before leaving.

It's drastic but I think it's the only way to give small markets a fighting chance and it doesn't hurt the players at all because it's a chance to get a lot more money and they still don't have to accept it if they don't want to. Sure, homegrown stars from big market teams would then have 0% chance to ever leave but in this day and age, that probably wasn't happening anyway. And an extra $10 mill would be a big financial strain on teams, but ask the Cavs what they'd choose between their current state or getting LeBron back minus an extra $10 mill a year.

Also, I want you to PLEASE read this post and think about what Dan Gilbert fought for during the lockout. He wants to make bling, not to have a fair league.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Orenthal wrote:^ and ^^. It was what was said by many at the beginning of the whole lockout. Course, I was rational/irrational during the thing and prolly took both sides at different points. However, a meaningful Bird Rights always made the most sense. Not 80% of the difference being in the "extra" year. Perhaps only an already declining star would look at that and stay put.

No, the guys that stay put for that extra year are the second fiddle guys that are treated as ones because getting a legit pair is damn hard to do so x team overpays y player and y player takes the deal because he knows he will never make more money.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Kingpin74 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:No arguments, my only point is that as rare as it is, the fat dude sometimes lands that really hot chick.

I still don't understand what would be wrong with making the Bird rights money actually mean something, i.e. each team getting to designate one franchise player (not binding like the NFL, just for financial purposes) and pay him $10MM per year more than the regular max and the difference doesn't count against the cap or something like that. An eight figure difference might actually make these guys think twice before leaving.

It's drastic but I think it's the only way to give small markets a fighting chance and it doesn't hurt the players at all because it's a chance to get a lot more money and they still don't have to accept it if they don't want to. Sure, homegrown stars from big market teams would then have 0% chance to ever leave but in this day and age, that probably wasn't happening anyway. And an extra $10 mill would be a big financial strain on teams, but ask the Cavs what they'd choose between their current state or getting LeBron back minus an extra $10 mill a year.

Also, I want you to PLEASE read this post and think about what Dan Gilbert fought for during the lockout. He wants to make bling, not to have a fair league.

I still don't get it though, wouldn't small market franchises be more valuable if they had a realistic chance to retain a superstar and contend? That has to trump whatever quick buck they negotiated in this CBA. Plus the team wouldn't even have to pay the extra Bird rights money, it would just be their option (although it would make their cheapness a lot more transparent if they declined to do so).
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Previous

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA