Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 am

There's a pretty good post-FNL recruiting wrap-up at Buckeye Battle Cry, here:

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/2012 ... ate-73012/

postulating a final six of Lewis, Worley, Mitchell, Gibson, Allen, Vonn Bell.

I'd be pretty happy with that outcome. Thoughts?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 am

Worley, Lee, Thompson and Bell seems like a bit of overkill at that Star/Safety positions. I would have to think Worley only gets in if Bell isn't looking great.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:51 am

Lewis, Worley, Mitchell, Gibson, Allen, Vonn Bell.

Hmmm....

Bell and Worley is overkill. I think it is Bell or Bust. I am not a huge Worley fan, and I don't think he ends up in the class unless there is unexpected attrition.

Other than that, I am good with the rest.

I like the idea of taking Allen and Gibson. The two players are largely interchangeable, but I think it is probable that one of them busts. We need the speed at WR so bad that I think taking both makes a lot of sense. Man Rob Foster really must have pissed the staff off. As bad as we need the WRs, walking away from the #1 WR in the country really says something. I know the Bucks are sort of still recruiting on him, but I think he is a guy that they would prefer to avoid.

I think Mitchell is another nice gamble. Amazing athlete, but I don't love him as a football player. He seems like a great, coachable kid, so I think he could develop into a ceiling-less player with that freak athleticism.

Lewis seems like a pretty good player, not my favorite (he does not blow me away), but apparently he blows the staff away so I will defer to the experts.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Wow, wow, wow. RT @sds: Duron Carter dismissed from practice at FAU for lack of effort while his dad Cris Carter watched.

— Kyle Rowland (@KyleRowland) August 6, 2012
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Wow, wow, wow. RT @sds: Duron Carter dismissed from practice at FAU for lack of effort while his dad Cris Carter watched.

Get Thiel on the phone, Cris. Not too late to enroll Duron for this fall.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:42 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Wow, wow, wow. RT @sds: Duron Carter dismissed from practice at FAU for lack of effort while his dad Cris Carter watched.

Get Thiel on the phone, Cris. Not too late to enroll Duron for this fall.

Think he could get in?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Dorian Johnson **** OL decommit from PSU has cut his choices to 3, are we still in it?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Yep: OSU, Pitt and WVU
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:12 pm

furls wrote:Yep: OSU, Pitt and WVU

Well here's hoping YSU helped make this a two horse race.
pod2dawg

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 pm

Says he favors Pitt. Whatever. Any player that wants to play there over major schools tells you that winning is not really all that important to the guy; he does not want to surround himself with similar talent and compete at the highest levels. I understand there is a hometown thing here, but it isn't like Columbus or Morgantown are around the globe.

Sounds like a sour grapes thing as I reread the post, but it isn't. I would like for him to play for tOSU, but if he isn't interested in competing than I would rather he went elsewhere. I want guys that want to win above all other things. You don't get that from Pitt.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

I can't imagine a dude with his "potential" not wanting to get in on the ground floor with Urban. I would even understand WVU as an option caus those boys can score,,,but Pitt? C'mon...mang
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am

Let's not pretend for a second like 1) Dorian isn't a homebody and 2) Cryst doesn't have a ridiculous history of developing offensive linemen

A loss to YSU with the left-overs of the Davey Wandstedt era means between zero and negative infinity to recruits, they are being sold on the future, not the now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

Lee, you bring up a couple of good points.

1. He is clearly a homebody, hence the OSU, PSU, WVU, Pitt dogfight for him and no national players outside the region. The homebody argument falls apart a little though when you consider that tOSU is not really that far from Pitt and the kid was willing to go to Happy Valley which just about as far East as C-Bus is West of Pittsburgh.

2. Cryst has done well getting OL to the NFL and that point is not disputable. If my kid was an NFL prospect Cryst would be a coach that would lend credibility to any school I was considering. That said, it still implies that winning is not the priority. You cannot look at Pitt's "tenant" status as a lessee at Heinz field, their shit facilities, shit recent history and if Cryst can get a kid to overlook all that to "see the future" of Pitt football, then he is wasting his time as an NCAAF coach, he would make a killing in marketing.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 pm

The future of Michigan football enjoyed his first trip to Ohio. Hopefully the first of 3 beat downs in the Buckeye state....

Morris, 6-3, 195 pounds, completed nine of 22 passes for 104 yards, no touchdowns and one interception

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.com/news/article/-8720013506879816563/michael-lamanna-leads-st-ignatius-to-big-win-over-warren-mich-de-la-salle/
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

To let a shit ass Iggy team do that to you is just embarassing.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:To let a shit ass Iggy team do that to you is just embarassing.

I know it was always your dream to play for Mooney.

http://www.maxpreps.com/contests/5GA04atO50ydaV3gcFErlA/football-fall-12/boxscore-cardinal-mooney-youngstown-vs-st-ignatius-cleveland.htm

Ignatius will be 2012 MNC. Just a matter of time. two undefeated JV's now at Sr & JR and coming off a state title. Bite me Mass football. You're out of Morris brothers.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Two 2012 Boston guys (from the same HS) saw the field for OSU on Saturday, how many Iggy guys did? Blake Thomas... ROFL
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 pm

By Iggy standards (late 90's) it is a pretty ordinary team. Still funny how bad they thrashed him, he got his ass whooped in the first week too. He is a combine warrior, obviously has a big arm, but he was silenced at the elite eleven and has not been great in pads. OVERRATED. Good player, but not a 5*.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:19 am

Dorian Johnson update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35V3SzW ... r_embedded

Needless to say, I can see why Pitt appeals to the kid just by his demeanor.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Why do these guys you told me were so great all last year in this thread look so average against UCF on the D-Line?
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:19 pm

furls wrote:By Iggy standards (late 90's) it is a pretty ordinary team. Still funny how bad they thrashed him, he got his ass whooped in the first week too. He is a combine warrior, obviously has a big arm, but he was silenced at the elite eleven and has not been great in pads. OVERRATED. Good player, but not a 5*.

I could care less about how St I HS players project on the next level. Eye is talking lug nuts and oranges. With all the shitty Cleveland teams, this one is the marked excelption of excellence.

But if we WERE talking HS FB on a college forum, Furls, you are nuts to think this is an "ordinary" version because of how players project to the next level. By the time this and next season are done this 3 year span will be only behind the Pickens and Haddad Eras as Kyle's best. The balance, depth, poise and HS skill level of this group is pretty devistating on this level. Mcvey is the poster kid; amazing on this level, completely projected as meh on the next and luck to go to Buffalo.

They are a good bet to run the ultimate table; 15 - 0 in D1 ball. That is sick.

Then the Ed's state champsionship boom kicks in for a year as the sophs suck. It will be FUDU's time for a season again.

PS - I'm glad UM is hitching wagon to an overrated player.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 pm

jb wrote:Why do these guys you told me were so great all last year in this thread look so average against UCF on the D-Line?

A key injury and relying on true freshman to be your playmakers?

I can't remember the last time a major D-1 school was so reliant on true freshman's lineplay.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:01 pm

The Freshman look great! I couldn't be happier with A-Wash's play. He is lining up 40 plays per game as a freshman DT. That is ridiculous. There are several positions where you just don't expect guys to play well as a freshman due to the difference in physicality, DT is definitely one of them. He is doing a great job as a one gapper and getting decent penetration.

Spence looks very quick too.... his size is a bit of an issue. By size I really mean strength. He is clearly quick enough, but once a tackle gets into him he is easily shoved aside. He needs a year in the program, 100lbs on his bench, 200 on his squat and 15lbs of muscle. Richman's Thad Gibson.

Schutt has been very impressive too. He is A-Wash redux, but projects to NT vice 3Tech, so he will likely 2 gap and make fewer plays but will be more important to the D.

Pittman is apparently about as smart as a box of rocks, and just can't figure what he is supposed to do. I think he will RS this year.

The bigger issue is the upper classmen. Simon is out of position. Fickell is still lining Hank up onthe Weakside too periodically. Goebel has done yeomens work.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Gotta keep that Glenville Pipeline open (especially with what might be the best offensive player in Ohio in 2014 up there):

Bill Greene ‏@BillBankGreene
Little birdie saying a Chris Worley commitment could be coming soon. Ohio State has to be prohibitive favorite for Worley.

Would end up at Safety, Star or OLB with the Bucks.

And Tyquan Lewis, pass rushing DE target from NC is announcing next Thursday with the Bucks the rumored leaders.

Lastly this week, Vonn Bell, noted monster and one of the top safeties in the country cut his list to OSU - Tenn - Bama, with OSU and hometown Tenn in a battle for the kid. He came to OSU's camp (the only one he attended) and was the MVP by miles.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:35 am

Worley is a good player in the Jermale Hines sense (strange both G-Ville guys). Both have a nose for the ball and make a lot of plays, but neither has a well developed college position. Worley has very little coverage experience so he will have a steep learning curve to become a true safety and he doesn't have the size (or build) to be a BCS level/B1G LB. Kind of a tweener. He is a decent fit for the "star" but I worry about his speed and I hope that tOSU's man under nickel dies as its perferred defense. For a team that runs a 4-3 base, they sure do have 5 DBs out there ALOT!

If there is room for him, then great. If he helps the Bucks land Marshawn Lattimore then that alone is worth it, but he is not a guy that I will cry if we miss on. I wonder if this says anything about the way the Bucks perceive their chances with Vonn Bell. He is the guy that I really want in S&G.

The three that I still really want are:

1. Vonn Bell
2. James Quick
3. Dorian Johnson

As long as they have room for those 3. I still question Johnson's desire to win if he really wants to go to Pitt. The Panthers are terrible and if Cryst can still sell that awful program to Johnson then Johnson is either non competitive or retarded.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Four Star Tyquan Lewis is #17. Will play the Viper Rush End/LB hybrid that Carpenter, Gholston, Nathan Williams and Noah Spence played/play.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... wis-131485

(He's only a 3 star on Scout, but it's becoming more and more apparent that for as strong as Scout is in the Mid-West they are incredibly weak on the East Coast. Their Scouting in the region either doesn't exist, Jacobs wasn't even rated, or is a flat-rate three star grade)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Also, kid will be an early enrollee.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Strangely, I am really excited about this kid considering he is a high 3 star/low 4 star. He looked good on the camp circuit, but moreover he just looks like a ball player. I think he is the kind of kid that comes in as an undersized DE and puts on the "Mariotti 15" and becomes a screaming banishee of a pass rusher.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Maybe the best recommendation is his offer list...LSU, Auburn, S. Carolina, etc...

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=5904603
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:24 pm

BN$ reporting that the big recruiting weekend MSU had set up for last week may have backfired as a couple of the targets walked away from their MSU vs. OSU visit in East Lansing very excited about..... OSU. (Clifton Garrett is in that group).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:52 am

Tony Stevens has decommitted from FSU and now lists tOSU, UGA and USF. Word on the street is that tOSU leads. This is a huge development. Stevens has been compared to AJ Green and I think that is a pretty good comparison.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:32 pm

The Meyer flip machine is in full effect.

A month ago Tony Stevens was going to take an official to OSU but was still solid to FSU, now no FSU.

Trey Johnson (LB) is now 100% to Auburn but is taking officials and says OSU is after him the hardest (he speaks to Meyer weekly).

Daniel McMillen (LB) is now 100% to Florida but is "considering" OSU and Florida only and will make an official.

Holland Fisher (LB) is now 100% to Va tech but is taking and OV to OSU.

Demorea Stringfellow (WR) is 100% WA but may visit for the Nebraska game...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Don't forget USC commit and James Quick teammate, Jason Hatcher who is now taking an unofficial visit.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:21 pm

Schollie count:

As of right now we have 19 available for 2013.

Right now the following are rumored to be out:
-Southward
-Wood
(brining the number to 21)

We have a couple of probable early departures:
-Hankins
-Roby
(bringing the number to 23)

There are strong rumors that a couple of guys will seek play time elsewhere:
-Fields, Baldwin, lots of Bollman's OL class from last year, etc.

I think the number is like 25-27 for available slots, I think the class will be smaller and tOSU will bank some schollies unless Meyer can work some magic and land some guys that are off the map. I don't think there is a chance in hell that he reaches.

So theoretically we have room for 8-10 more, but I really only see 6-9 guys that they would really want. 2-3 WR, 1-2LB, 1 more DL, 1 more OL (if they can find one), 1-2 more DBs. It will be interesting to see if there are any late Noah Spence's this year.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Wood isn't a rumor, Meyer mentioned it on his call in show today and his dad confirmed. Southwad is a rumor, but has a TON of smoke to it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 pm

Not so sure Stevens really decommitted. It actually looks like he has no idea what the difference between being a soft commit, a hard commit and decommitting is.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/r ... 0108.story
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

I got a feeling Stevens is tOSU's to lose. Meyer and his staff have apparently been recruiting him hard even through his commitment and the now have him softening. I like Meyer to win this one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 pm

I've tried and quit all the pay sites, but RIvals may be my home. Gliver is incredible.

Anyhow:

""Urban Meyer basically told me whenever I make my decision, make sure it is the right decision for me. He told me what I needed to do to come in and play immediately for him."

Quick made the trip to Ohio State with his class of 2014 teammate, athlete Reggie Bonnafon. He also connected with fellow 2013 prospects Cameron Burrows and Ryan Timmons, guys he had known previously, while in Columbus. Burrows is already committed to the Buckeyes.

"He was basically telling me to enjoy everything I am going through, have fun and make the right decision," Quick said, "but he wanted me to make my decision and come to Ohio State with him."

Quick's focus the majority of this fall has been on his senior season, but the four-star wide receiver has some clarity on his top schools after Saturday's visit.

"Right now my top two schools would be Louisville and Ohio State, and as of yesterday they will still be about even," Quick said. "Louisville is home and Ohio State has a good coaching staff and fan base. I just really like both schools."

I'm not going to share any of the other things, but this is a huge development.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Some insiders are saying that last night may have put tOSU in the lead for Dorian Johnson. I gotta believe that the trainwreck @ Pitt has to be helping.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:15 am

Can't believe my kid is being left off these lists!!! 6'2" 210 strong as a bull and at least a 5.4 40. ;-) ;) :wink:

Nahh he's isn't that slow just a proud dad who is glad his kid said the hell with it I am playing football for his last year. You can see he's a little green and didn't expect to get through the line with no resistance. Normally if he blitzes it's outside and it's given me a better appreciation for how damn hard it is to get sacks he has so many near misses or hits on the QB at release. (was SSDE moved to OLB against passing teams and they just left him out there). Even at this level which is not as good as our big public schools, you need to have a burst of some kind because the three-step drops or spread attacks just make it tough to get to the QB.

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am

Good timing on the blitz.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:58 pm

JT Barrett just found out he shredded his knee this weekend.

ACL/MCL/Meniscus.

Not good.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 am

e0y2e3 wrote:JT Barrett just found out he shredded his knee this weekend.

ACL/MCL/Meniscus.

Not good.

Shit, not good at all. Luckily we're not relying on him for a few more years. Whether they planned on redshirting him or not, they most likely will have to now, which will give that extra year of separation between him and Braxton, and he'll still have his RS Fr year to play behind Braxton after Guiton graduates.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am

I actually think this helps with the timing and it may actually be a good thing. It will certainly help the kid accept/understand a redshirt. Seems like a good enough kid, but no player at his level (#1 DT QB) really wants to ride the pine for a year.

Getting a pressure free year to read the play book is a good thing.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Three years after hid wierd departure from Ohio High School Football Corey Smith gets his offer (committable at that). Also have are really picking up steam w/ LBs, offering sleeper out of Florida and a Juco recently in addition to the litany of already committed southern peeps Meyer is after.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

And OSU offered Kimbrough today, they're making a bit of a push for LBs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Kimbrough's recruitment has been frustrating. I really liked the kid, he wanted to go to OSU. The Bucks slow played him and lost. We'll see if Meyer can flip another.

More interesting, offering Kimbrough at this point (and the emphasis on LBs since the IU game) is making a statement abou the current LBs. The huge push says that they are not loving the 1000 LBs in the 2012 class.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:00 pm

I don't know that it says anything about the 2012 class. Again, only one of these kids was even on campus in the Spring, one is a converting rush end (Marcus), one played 55 positions (Perkins). I think it is more-so to avoid depth issues, period. Meyer has yelled about O-Line depth all year and he has far less at LB even if all of these kids pan out. The only one I don't think Meyer likes is Roberts, as he recently said point blank that he isn't fast enough to play in all situations.

They probably want three LBs this year and then four again next year to forever escape the current shit storm and any possibility of it happening again. Meyer doesn't like this team's depth, that much is for sure.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I mean, seriously, we just played a FB at LB because our true freshman and second year sophomore aren't ready? That isn't fucking Ohio State football, that is Kent State shit.

It's disgusting what happened to the athletes Tress recruited at the end of his run (and how badly they were developed). Mind-blowing.

Just pray we don't have anyone go down on the O-Line.

This offering all the secondary guys late also seems a way to prevent what happened with JT. He put all of his eggs in certain baskets and if those kids didn't come or failed OSU was too often left holding themselves and alone. It was the most infuriating aspect of his nonchalant recruiting style.

If Urban missed out on Mitchell and the Southern guys he isn't going to just say "aw schucks." He'll bring in more athletes and let them compete with last year's athletes (once he decides these secondary athletes can play and offers them, which seems after about a half season of senior film is collected).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 pm

With this Analzone to UF shit, I owe you an apology Furls. Kid's dad is a straight up sociopath.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena