Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

8/5/12 Tribe going for 9 straight

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: 8/5/12 Tribe going for 9 straight

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:^ gimme a team full of Albert Belle's b/c at least I know my team's gonna compete day in and day out. At least I know it would have legit big league talent. Sure it'd be full of asshole's but they'd be our asshole's.

I don't think a team full of Belle's would actually do all that well. Think about those teams. You had one guy that everyone had to walk on eggshells around, especially after he did poorly in Belle. To counter that, you had some mellow guys like Thome and Sorrento, a clueless guy in Manny, some prankster types in Omar and Baerga. Those teams had the perfect mix of elite talent and personalities. Heavy emphasis on elite talent.

What we saw in those days was very, very special and very, very unique. A team full of high maintenance asshole types would implode at some point, IMHO.

Meh.... Belle was a reformed drunk and a ticking timebomb, Lofton was a prickly, arrogant, petulant player, Baerga liked his booze and blow (allegedly), Omar was banging everyone but his wife, Robbie Alomar spit in an umpire's face, etc., etc.

But Hannahan, Kotchman and Duncan are good dudes by all accounts. So we have that.

And even if that's the guy you want, there are those like Thome, Matt Williams, Marquis Grissom and Fryman.

Find me 15 guys in this entire organization that are or will soon be above average major league players and I'll eat my hat.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:^ gimme a team full of Albert Belle's b/c at least I know my team's gonna compete day in and day out. At least I know it would have legit big league talent. Sure it'd be full of asshole's but they'd be our asshole's.

I don't think a team full of Belle's would actually do all that well. Think about those teams. You had one guy that everyone had to walk on eggshells around, especially after he did poorly in Belle. To counter that, you had some mellow guys like Thome and Sorrento, a clueless guy in Manny, some prankster types in Omar and Baerga. Those teams had the perfect mix of elite talent and personalities. Heavy emphasis on elite talent.

What we saw in those days was very, very special and very, very unique. A team full of high maintenance asshole types would implode at some point, IMHO.

My point was not so much Belle alone but talent like Belle along with the drive and competetiveness. You know a team like that would compete day in and day out and hate to lose and do everything in it's power to win at all costs. It was a convenient analogy based on peeker and I talking about the good guysin the current clubhouse and how losing seems to roll right off their backs like it's no big deal.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:

My point was not so much Belle alone but talent like Belle along with the drive and competetiveness. You know a team like that would compete day in and day out and hate to lose and do everything in it's power to win at all costs. It was a convenient analogy based on peeker and I talking about the good guysin the current clubhouse and how losing seems to roll right off their backs like it's no big deal.

Albert Belle didn't have talent. He had Hall of Fame talent. Well, and steroids, probably.

Of course if they had a team full of those guys they'd win, just like the Tribe did back in the 90s.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:

It's just a loser's mentality. In fact, it reminds me of the "Everyone Gets a Participation' ribbon mentailty.

"Awww... he took a picture with my kids" or "Aww...his wife just had a baby" is good enough for some people to cling to a player and justify his existence on a roster.

That's not good enough. Not when I've watched it for 40 years and have grown sick of it.

Then that elevates decent players like AsCab or Kipnis to exalted status by virtue of them not sucking as bad as someone else.

And it suddenly has people supporting a tool like Chris Perez who doesn't give a rat's ass about you, me or us in the long run.

YMMV.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

And it suddenly has people supporting a tool like Chris Perez who doesn't give a rat's ass about you, me or us in the long run.

I like tools who can close out games. I'd take Joey back in a heartbeat if those 50 HR's and 150 RBI's in left field came along with the package. I don't care if he won't take a picture or sign an autograph. And I certainly don't expect him to care about me or us.

Just win, baby.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB