Text Size

College Sports Arena

The Urban Meyer KIA list (transfers)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

The Urban Meyer KIA list (transfers)

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Figured with all the recent transfers/pulled schollies we should probably consolidate them here:

Out:
1. DerJuan Gambrell: Schollie pulled for reportedly putting his hands on his pregnant "Baby-Mama." Not a huge loss as he is a guy that was RS last year.

2. Dominick Clarke: Schollie pulled for Operating a Vehicle Impaired (like a DUI). Second conduct issue in less than a year, bad timing as it came the day after a Meyer meeting regarding off the field conduct "cleaning up the off the field issues." EXAMPLE SET.

3. Jeremy Cash: Confirmed by tOSU to be transferring out. Has already been released from his schollie at his own request. Exact reasons unknown, but there has been a large amount of coaching turnover and there are rumors of "home sickness," as Cash is a FL kid. Sucks, I had high hopes for the kid; he definitely flashed as a player to reckon with in the near future at safety, a position where we have seen some terrible play in recent months.

4. Taylor Graham: Pocket QB. Didn't fit Tressel's offense very well and certainly does not fit Meyer's. I doubt he would have come to tOSU if he weren't a legacy (Kent Graham's son). He is gone, and off to Hawaii, best of luck with Warriors, my second favorite NCAA team.

5. David Durham: Transferring to Pitt. Recruited as LB/DE later switched to FB. Urban Meyer really does not need FBs, so Durham is taking his game elsewhere. Good Luck to him, I know him and his family, genuinely very nice people.

Probably Out:
1. Jamaal Berry: Kid had a couple of strange off the field issues (assaults) and is rumored to be a heavy "smoker." He has not had any confirmed drug issues while at tOSU (although he did have the arrest prior to enrolling), so who knows how much validity there is to those claims, although it may explain his erratic behavior. Kid was 5* and one of the top 2-3 RBs coming out of the 2009 class but has never really lived up to the potential.

2. Tommy Brown: See Chris Carter below, but shave off about on Urkel from his weight.

3. Chris Carter: Kid weighs almost 4bills. While that is great for sumo, I am not sure that it fits with Urban Meyer's up tempo spread offense. I don't think he will survive winter/spring conditioning.

4. TY Williams: Kid is in and out of the doghouse, was a big time project with huge upside coming out of HS. He looked great even though he was subjected to East Cleveland public HS recruiting. Very raw. He has been vocal about his perceived slights in playing time, and in all honesty I am not sure that he will ever really develop, no big loss.

Class of 2012 casualties (probable non qualifiers)
1. Roger Lewis: 4* WR rumored to be struggling with getting a qualifying test score. Lots of smoke that he will not qualify, I think it is about 90% likely he DOES NOT end up in tOSU's 2012 class.

2. Devan Bogard: 4* Safety. Still has not qualified and is supposed to be taking the ACT again in February. We shall see what happens there I suppose!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: The Urban Meyer KIA list (transfers)

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Of your list...I have no reason to believe Tommy Brown won't stay in the program. He looked like a freshman OT last year, but he was playing in the spring with the 2's, and while he struggled to block Johnny Simon, who didn't? He's not a guy who would have received an offer from Meyer, but they were desperate a year ago for OL, and panicked and signed these three NE Ohio kids very early. (Underwood being the 3rd)

Is there anything outside of wishful thinking that says Carter and Brown won't last through conditioning? I mean the program isn't exactly in a position to be running off offensive linemen...if only to make practicing possible. Plus, Meyer has stated he won't do that...all scholarships are honored. (Yes, I know programs have ways of making players feel unwelcome or pessimistic about their prospects for playing time, etc)

Williams has no room to bitch about his playing time. Not only did he miss the bowl game(fall grades or rule violation...not sure which)but he had a miserable spring. I watched all three scrimmages and the spring game, and it is no exaggeration to say he dropped about 8 of every 10 balls thrown his way. I can't recall an OSU WR with worse hands. The body-type and athleticism and height were intriguing, but a WR with bad hands is a wasted scholarship. Like you say, no great loss.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I am only sort of rooting for Brown and Carter to go. There have been a lot of rumors about guys shaping up or shipping out, with a specific focus on the OL.

I think we could see tOSU take as many as 6 OL (Elflein, Boren, Decker, Diamond, Dodson and O'Connor) this year and that would mean that some of the guys (Carter and Brown) are going to be prime candidates for some of that "unwelcome" treatment you alluded to. I know the OL situation as well as anyone else. Here is my take on the OL, kind of ranking out the players:

1. Norwell
2. Mewhort
3. Linsley
4. Hall
5. Bobek
6. Fragel (who knows how he turns out as an OT)
7. Underwood
8. Brown
9. Carter

You may swap a couple of guys around in there, but you get the gist. Now, I think that any of Decker, Diamond, Dodson and O'Connor immediately jump Tommy Brown at 8 (and probably Underwood at 7). Hell, I like Kozan better than any of the guys from last year except Bobek. Depending on the final numbers in this year's class, Brown and Carter could end up expendable. Carter raised eyebrows when he showed up at 375 this fall, he raised even more when he weighed 380 toward the end of the season.

I have to believe that Boren will be a good player, I just have a hard time believing anyone from that family is not. Elflein's senior film is actually pretty good. I hated the offer at the time, but not as much anymore. I still think he wouldn't get an offer from Meyer, but as a small, athletic OL, he does match Meyer's system way more than Brown or Carter.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Durham's out per Scout's PA guy. At Pitt visiting right now but gone regardless.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Lots of smoke that Lewis did not/will not qualify and may be MAC bound. Rumored to be looking at OU. Southward has qualified, Devan Bogard has not.... uh oh.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:02 pm

furls wrote:Lots of smoke that Lewis did not/will not qualify and may be MAC bound. Rumored to be looking at OU. Southward has qualified, Devan Bogard has not.... uh oh.

Lewis not qualifying has been done for two weeks and seen coming for ages.

Him being charged with two counts of rape today, well, that was a surprise.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes, that was a bit of a shock. I guess he is officially out now.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
furls wrote:Lots of smoke that Lewis did not/will not qualify and may be MAC bound. Rumored to be looking at OU. Southward has qualified, Devan Bogard has not.... uh oh.

Lewis not qualifying has been done for two weeks and seen coming for ages.

Him being charged with two counts of rape today, well, that was a surprise.

Mac + that charge means he's prefect to folio in Abe Elam's footsteps.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Whitling to Louisville (been rumored forever, finally happened) brings 'em to 82.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm

OK, so I guess we made our 2012 schollie limit! Whiting was dead weight anyways. If he couldn't get on the field last year he was never going to get on the field at tOSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:15 am

A lot of internet rumors that Brian Bobek is gone.....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Read the same rumors. Basically, he lost his job to Jacoby Boren within a week and knows he will never play at tOSU. Kid is just too light and nowhere near strong enough to play on the inside.

I am interested to see if one member of Bollman's final recruiting class makes any sort of difference. Carter flashed at NT and he is now my leading candidate.

1. Bobek... transferring
2. Carter... on DL
3. Tommy Brown... probably already been passed on the two deep by Joey O'Conner
4. Antonio Underwood... probably the most likely to do something. Clearly an interior guy, we'll see.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Carter looked very solid in the Spring Game, IMO
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 pm

furls wrote:Read the same rumors. Basically, he lost his job to Jacoby Boren within a week and knows he will never play at tOSU. Kid is just too light and nowhere near strong enough to play on the inside.

I am interested to see if one member of Bollman's final recruiting class makes any sort of difference. Carter flashed at NT and he is now my leading candidate.

1. Bobek... transferring
2. Carter... on DL
3. Tommy Brown... probably already been passed on the two deep by Joey O'Conner
4. Antonio Underwood... probably the most likely to do something. Clearly an interior guy, we'll see.

At the time it looked like the staff had panicked after waiting and then losing out on Seantrel Henderson and Matt James the year before. They offered these guys early..staying local (NE Ohio) and off the national radar (except for Bobek) and now it appears our worst fears are realized. They panicked. These guys aren't all that good.

They have said that Underwood is the backup at both guard spots this spring, but that could just be a further indictment of the depth there. Carter did look like he might be able to contribute as a DT...someday...maybe.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Brown, Underwood and Carter are not good OL. We tend to forget because of the timing that the 2012 class had 5 OL in it (Dodson, Decker, O'Conner, Elflein and Boren). All of those guys are better than the best of the 2011 class. My guess is that none of those guys from 2011 really contribute on the OL.

I thought Elflein was a bit of a reach, but I have come around a little on him.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Carter looked very solid in the Spring Game, IMO

Concur.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:30 am

Bobek is gone.....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Klein... KIA

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:25 pm

furls wrote:Klein... KIA

What action?
jb

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:48 pm

??? Tossed off the team for "beatin' he baby mama."

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Oh shit, I get it now! Took me a second.

Actually Klein started 10 games last year, but you probably didn't notice unless you saw Shazier hurdling his slow ass to make the play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:18 pm

That and it's tough to read the name of a player when he's on his back 85% of the time.

No loss with Klein at all.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Kenny Hayes got his release today. Talented kid that had serious migraines cost him the spring and then looked up and was in depth chart hell.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:07 pm

I think there is more to the Hayes story. I know about the headaches, but there were rumors that he was disgruntled as well.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Word is Hayes will never play football again due to the headaches and he is encouraging his brother that just got an offer to play hoops at OSU to go there.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:06 pm

I hope you are right, Nigel Hayes is a good player. It is a little strange though for a player that will never play again for medical reasons to ask for his release. Why not ask for a medical hardship and keep the scholarship? It may be a little bit of a fight, and he would have to get all the medical documentation, but if it is about the headaches, why not?

I have no ideas. I would say on the certainty scale... I would say I am about 25-50% certain there is more to the story. Time will tell. If he is playing this year or next at YSU or something we will know there was more.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Or the staff asked for a release to get another schollie?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Or the staff asked for a release to get another schollie?

Why wouldn't they ask for the medical hardship, so he can stay at Ohio State on scholarship and not count against the numbers. They do that for pretty much anyone that wants off the team for a medical reason (Hagan, McVey, etc.). Either way they get the schollie back, unless it is not medical.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Hayes is visiting MSU right now. Those migraines must be BRUTAL.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:16 am

I'd really like some details on that, as Kenny Hayes doesn't strike me as the type to pay for college on his own just to escape Ohio State and, well, we all know the B1G rule about transferring within the conference.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 am

I am pretty sure that rule went away last summer.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:46 am

Yeah I suppose now it is they can recieve scholies but are forced to sit out a year and forfeit eligibility.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Rumblings Adolpheus Washington, Joel Hale, Michael, Bennett, et al have passed last years starting DT, Adam Bellamy and he is out.

Kid would start for almost every team in the B1G and can't seem to own the depth chart here.

Would be a the first major transfer thus far if true.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Bellamy was not in the team picture today and did not practice last week apparently. I would say he is out.

Bennett took over his starting spot at SSDE and I think he was passed there by Se'Von Pittman (should've taken that spot last year) and Bellamy was moved inside where he was apparently passed by Adolphus Washington as Hankins backup at 3 Tech. Sounds like Hale may have taken over for NT backup behind Goebel.

OSU's DL depth chart is truly going to be Darwinian over the next couple years. Spence will start next year (this year?), Washington will start next year (Hank in the NFL), Pittman and Bennett are going to be tough on the SSDE with Bosa still coming in. Oh yeah, Billy Price is pretty good too!

Too bad for Bellamy, he was a decent kid and a solid contributor. tOSU brought in an epic class last year and in a complete meritocracy (like Meyer is running) those kids are going to pass seniors and juniors.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Kevin Noon tweets...(‏@Kevin_Noon)

Mike Vrabel said Adam Bellamy is dealing with some family concerns right now and that he is missed and would be welcomed back.

=---
Edit:

Bellamy has "left the team for personal reasons", coaches confirm.

Also true freshman C/G Joey O'Connor has had knee surgery and will miss/redshirt the 2012 season.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Bellamy officially done with football, lost the love for the game but is a great kid per Meyer.

Kenny Hayes officially too Toledo, so I was wrong and his head wasn't that screwed up, despite the rumors it was.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Bellamy officially done with football, lost the love for the game but is a great kid per Meyer.

Kenny Hayes officially too Toledo, so I was wrong and his head wasn't that screwed up, despite the rumors it was.

Bellamy situation sounds like Quinn Pitcock a bit, not necessarily with the video games, but a case where the game takes a lot out of you and it was more than he wanted to give now.

Kenny Hayes migraine rumors spurring a transfer never made sense. Story from BN is that it was all about moving inside. Hayes wanted to stay at DE, even at 300lbs.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm

TY Williams kicked off the team for a violation of team rules. Nothing of any additional clarity at the moment.

Also growing rumblings about a potential Chris Fields transfer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:47 am

TY Williams getting kicked off the team is not shocking. Sad but not shocking. Kid was a chiseled 6'5 230lb WR that you hoped would become the next Megatron, but knew never would.

Fields transfer makes sense as he is now passed by 5 guys that have more eligibility than he does. He will never see the field again. Sounds like tOSU may be able to get into the mid 20s this year. I haven't done the scholarship math, but before the Williams, Fields, Hayes and Bellamy transfers the number was about 20.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:01 am

I still can't believe Bellamy quit.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 am

Officially with TY and Bellamy we are at 19 open spots right now. Most people have been predicting around 22 and that looks pretty spot on right now.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am

I don't know if the Bucks have more than 22 that they are interested in and have a realistic shot at landing.

Right now they have 17 with a realistic shot at:

-Dorian Johnson (slightly less than 50:50)
-James Quick (50:50)
-Robert Foster (puzzling recruitment to say the least)
-Mike Mitchell (50:50)
-Vonn Bell (50:50)
-Shelton Gibson (80:20 that 20 only depends on grades)
-Marquez North (longshot)
-Donovan Munger (not sure they are pushing that hard for him)
-Chris Worley (I think he is the Vonn Bell backup, not sure how many safeties the Buckeyes want this year)

There might be a couple of recent offers that I am forgetting, but if all the guys listed above called tOSU at the same time to commit, I am not sure they would take them all even if they had space.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:48 am

Obviously they accept commitments at any time from:

Dorian Johnson
Mike Mitchell
Vonn Bell

After that, I think it depends on timing:

I am not sure if they take a Foster commitment if they already have Quick and or Gibson and or North and so on. I think they would only take 2 of the above listed WRs, but might make room for 3 if the 3rd was North or Foster (if they are still recruiting Foster). I don't think there is anyway they would take all 4.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:53 am

IMO, Quick is also in that "accept at any time" list.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm

I've seen Quick on TV a couple of times and I was like, "meh." Good player, but didn't seem like an "OMFG we have to land this guy." I actually think Gibson might end up being the pick of the litter. Timmons (KY) is another guy that could end up being a surprise late offer and commit depending on Quick, Gibson, Foster, North etc. I like Timmons a lot too. Not as much as Quick, but the kid is a player

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

I've seen Quick go for over 150 and longs of 60+ against two five star top of the world coerners on TV thisyear. He's literally done what he has done against a higher level of competition than anyone in the country.

Ryan Timmons is playing worse competition than EZ-E by about eight miles and has been in front of the staff on two occasions, neither of which resulted in an offer.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Timmons resulted in serious consideration from obscurity while the staff is chasing bigger fish. If they don't get the bigger fish, then we "end up with" an offer to Timmons.

Like I said, I saw him on TV and I didn't see much. Doesn't mean he isn't a good player, but I wasn't running around my house in my underwear yelling, "Holy shit, we need this kid." Which games were the 5* CBs involved in? Was it the game on ESPN2 about 2 weeks ago?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeah, TImmons came from obscurity but Jacobs and Gibson both performed so much better then him (Jacobs at camp and Gibson at FNL) they they remained (or became in the case of Jacobs) offerable and him, not so much.

Quick smoke Jalen Ramsey early in the season I forget who else, but it wasn't the TV game.

I don't think he is a must have by any measure, but the kid is a pretty damn good WR prospect. But no, he's now the Clowney of WRs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I think Jacobs is an absolute steal, and he is a guy that NO ONE is talking about; poorman's DeAnthony Thomas? I like Gibson a lot too, hopefully he does not end up at FUMA.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am

Riquan Southward is KIA

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Next

Return to College Sports Arena