Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Training Camp Observations

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Training Camp Observations

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Went to TC this morning (Day 3). Obviously hard to tell much from some of these drills, but here's what I noticed, such as it is:

*Mitchell Schwartz played with the 1st team offense and struggled against Jabaal Sheard. Or maybe Sheard is just that awesome.

*Colt McCoy had some nice throws and seemed clearly to be the most decisive of the 4 QB's, but the velocity on his throws was also clearly noticeably less than Brandon Weeden or even Seneca Wallace. Anything longer than 15-20 yards is in the air WAY too long.

*Weeden had some nice throws, but was far from "sharp". He seems to be "thinking" a lot at this point, several throws to spots where he assumed a WR would be but were empty (could be either's fault), couple passes batted down (definitely partially Schwartz's fault). Often stared down his intended Receiver.

*Seneca follows up beautiful throws with terrible decisions. Held the ball a long time in 7 on 7 drills, would've been sacked 3 or 4 times by the time he threw it. There's no reason for a guy so supposedly versed in the Offense to be so indecisive.

*Montario Hardesty looks way faster than I ever remember him being.

*Reports of Mo Massaquoi's demise were premature. He also looked quick.

*Josh Gordon spent plenty of time with the 1's. He stands out, very smooth, tall. Bad drop on a great Weeden pass in traffic, though.

*3 WR sets were Little, Mo, Gordon. 4 WR sets included Travis Benjamin.

*Stood next to Mary Kay Cabot for a little while, and she's tiny, like an elf or a sprite.

*Daryl Ruiter spent about 5 minutes just ripping the Dolans to a guy standing near me. Which isn't hard to do.

*Jim Donavan looking healthy again, a good sign.

*Dan Gronkowski certainly didn't inherit his brother's athleticism.

*Greg Little looks great and gets a lot of attention from Weeden.

*DT's did a good job clogging up the middle on Run D.

*Difficult for Defensive players to stand out when there's little hitting and no tackling (that's why they don't cheer for you, Frostee), but James-Michael Johnson seemed active and had a couple picks.

*My nephew, wearing a #9 Frye jersey with the name removed, wasn't happy unless he was watching his favorite player Thad Lewis throw the ball (also #9).

*Phil Dawson spent most of the time off by himself booting balls through uprights. The lonely life of a Kicker.

*Backup Kicker Jeff Wolfert spent a long time after practice going around signing autographs. Get it in while you can, Jeff.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Training Camp Observations

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying the revolvoing injury excuses for Rubin thus far.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:12 pm

JTA was there this morning to too, Hiko.

I mention that because he mentioned the Gordon, Little, MoMass troika as well but he also went out of his way to say the same thing you did about Hardesty.

"Hardesty changed his number and he looks explosive....has his speed back...got around the edge on a cutback and looked nice..."

Also said brandon Jackson looked good catching balls and seems to be healthy as well.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:JTA was there this morning to too, Hiko.

I mention that because he mentioned the Gordon, Little, MoMass troika as well but he also went out of his way to say the same thing you did about Hardesty.

"Hardesty changed his number and he looks explosive....has his speed back...got around the edge on a cutback and looked nice..."

Also said brandon Jackson looked good catching balls and seems to be healthy as well.

Yes, Jackson took a dump off for what would've been a serious gain. But Hardesty is what shocked me. I'd like to think he might make a deadly 1-2 punch with Richardson, but I'm always waiting for the other crutch to fall with him.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Oh, forgot to mention, looked like Ryan Miller was lining up as 2nd string LT, which I thought was interesting.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:JTA was there this morning to too, Hiko.

Yes, Jackson took a dump off for what would've been a serious gain. But Hardesty is what shocked me. I'd like to think he might make a deadly 1-2 punch with Richardson, but I'm always waiting for the other crutch to fall with him.

That's the issue. Always has been. He's a talented kid but it means nothing when he's in street clothes far more often than in pads.

I like the depth with the backs they're building though. And I like the OL route they're taking. Have to say I also like the Gordon move to get weapons out there and I've liked their TEs for a while (more so this year with Jordan Cameron).

All gonna be on #9 and on health of the OL in terms of the offense being markedly better.

BTW- my surprise cut this season is Josh Cribbs. I don't think he makes it. I don't think he has value in this offense with healthier backs and better WRs and his days as gamebreaking KR/PR are done. He still has value on kick coverage teams but that's not enough to keep him here IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm

If it were anyone but Cribbs, I'd agree. Since it is him, I think they give him one more year to be part of (what they hope is) a "winner".
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Another thing I forgot, Weeden has a TD pass to the corner of the end zone while scrambling and looking surprisingly mobile doing so.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:52 pm

The team is barely even at the cap floor, they ain't cuttin Cribbs.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The team is barely even at the cap floor, they ain't cuttin Cribbs.

No salary floor for 2011 and 2012 seasons. That returns next year and is about 90% of whatever the cap is determined to be.

Not to mention Cribbs makes just over $1.4million and this is the last year of that deal.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:30 pm

I quickly skimmed the report from the PD but they mentioned James-Michael Johnson had a run stuff and a couple batted balls. Did he look that good, or was he playing 100% while everyone else was at 80%?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby jb » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 am

Re: hardesty

What a huge bonus if he is finally healthy and can show what he did at UT on Sunday. The Texans should be everyones' pick for the SB this season, and they do it with running, an opportunistic attacking defense, and a classic drop back QB that isn't Canton-bound.

The formula still works.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 am

bookelly wrote:I quickly skimmed the report from the PD but they mentioned James-Michael Johnson had a run stuff and a couple batted balls. Did he look that good, or was he playing 100% while everyone else was at 80%?

Everyone appeared to be playing at the same speed. On those goal line drills, it was definitely 100%.
Hikohadon

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am

Thank you
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Looks like Gocong is done for the season with a torn achilles. Guess JMJ gonna see a lot of time real fast. Not only him, but the other young players, too. I didn't realize just how young the LB group was til just now. Gocong, Fujita, D'Quell, and Kuluka are the only ones with more than 1 yr. Are Tom and the Shurminator gonna risk their jobs by giving the kids a chance? We might get lucky and find an unknown 6th round All-Pro who just needed a chance to show what he's got... :hide:

Or do they say fuck it and actually look at a free agent or two? There's bound to be some roster casualties that would be an improvement on what we have.

A question for those of you who have been to camp this year: I heard on the radio that although Josh Gordon is looking really good on the field, he has had an attitude with coaches when they try to correct him. Has anyone seen this, or was it a one time thing that got blown out of proportion?
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:20 pm

That_Guy™ wrote:A question for those of you who have been to camp this year: I heard on the radio that although Josh Gordon is looking really good on the field, he has had an attitude with coaches when they try to correct him. Has anyone seen this, or was it a one time thing that got blown out of proportion?

Haven't heard that or seen that. Who said that?

LB was already the thinnest spot on the team, if Gocong is done for the year, they almost have to pick someone up after the cuts come.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
That_Guy™ wrote:A question for those of you who have been to camp this year: I heard on the radio that although Josh Gordon is looking really good on the field, he has had an attitude with coaches when they try to correct him. Has anyone seen this, or was it a one time thing that got blown out of proportion?

LB was already the thinnest spot on the team, if Gocong is done for the year, they almost have to pick someone up after the cuts come.

I think Veikune should be about ready to blossom, no?

Gocong is a big loss as he really played well last season when they put him on strong side (oddly enough). That hurts.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

I think it was Darryl Ruiter on 92.3. It was on the 2nd or 3rd day of camp. I hadn't heard anyone else talk about so I was hoping it was just a one time thing. Kid has only been in the league for a coupla weeks. Waaayyy too early to start havin an attitude. Needs to show something on the field first.

On another note, I'm gonna be bringing my boys, 4 and 7, up for family day. I've never been to training camp or family day before and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Any tips for making this an even better night for the kids would be great. I don't know the area at all and I'd like to know if there's anything I should try to avoid or whatever.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:47 pm

peeker643 wrote:I think Veikune should be about ready to blossom, no?

Gocong is a big loss as he really played well last season when they put him on strong side (oddly enough). That hurts.

Great minds think alike, so I looked up David to see if he was ready for a glorious return to the NFL. Sadly, it looks like it might be a few months before he gets into shape:

Hikohadon

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Any tips for making this an even better night for the kids would be great. I don't know the area at all and I'd like to know if there's anything I should try to avoid or whatever.

The main thing is to try to avoid going to any Indians games.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:54 pm

That_Guy™ wrote:I think it was Darryl Ruiter on 92.3. It was on the 2nd or 3rd day of camp. I hadn't heard anyone else talk about so I was hoping it was just a one time thing. Kid has only been in the league for a coupla weeks. Waaayyy too early to start havin an attitude. Needs to show something on the field first.

On another note, I'm gonna be bringing my boys, 4 and 7, up for family day. I've never been to training camp or family day before and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Any tips for making this an even better night for the kids would be great. I don't know the area at all and I'd like to know if there's anything I should try to avoid or whatever.

Huh. Hadn't heard that and tried googling to see if that rumor is out there (certain people hear rumors of shortcomings and then treat them as gospel), but didn't find anything. I'd assume it wasn't an ongoing issue or it would've been repeated by now.

There's nothing in downtown to really avoid, per se (except Christie's), but there's not really a lot that could be considered pro-kid either. Walking around downtown was always exciting enough for my girls when they were that young, but man did they get bored at the practice.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:14 pm

NFL.com's list of available LB's:

Adibi, Xavier, LB, 6-2/242, 4 Seasons, Previous Team: Minnesota
Alama-Francis, Ikaika, LB, 6-5/290!, 5 Seasons, Previous Team: Miami
Baptiste, Tressor, LB, 6-1/230, 1 Season, Previous Team: Seattle
Bentley, Kevin, LB, 6-1/248, 10 Seasons, Previous Team: Indianapolis
Blackstock, Darryl, MLB, 6-3/245, 5 Seasons, Previous Team: Oakland
Brackett, Gary, MLB, 5-11/235, 9 Seasons, Previous Team: Indianapolis
Brooking, Keith, ILB, 6-2/240, 14 Seasons, Previous Team: Dallas
Carter, Markell, LB, 6-4/248, 1 Season, Previous Team: New England
Cooper, Stephen, LB, 6-1/235, 9 Seasons, Previous Team: San Diego
Cox, Christian, LB, 6-3/250, 1 Season, Previous Team: New England
Davis, Andra, ILB, 6-1/255, 10 Seasons, Previous Team: Buffalo
Diggs, Na'il, LB, 6-4/240, 12 Seasons, Previous Team: San Diego
Dillard, Phillip, LB, 6-1/252, 2 Seasons, Previous Team: Carolina
Ekejiuba, Isaiah, LB, 6-4/240, 7 Seasons, Previous Team: Detroit
Farrior, James, ILB, 6-2/243, 15 Seasons, Previous Team: Pittsburgh
Fox, Keyaron, LB, 6-3/235, 8 Seasons, Previous Team: Washington
Franklin, Stephen, LB, 6-1/235, 1 Season, Previous Team: Jacksonville
Gaither, Omar, OLB, 6-2/235, 6 Seasons, Previous Team: Carolina
Goff, Jonathan, LB, 6-2/241, 4 Seasons, Previous Team: Washington
Henderson, E.J., MLB, 6-1/245, 9 Seasons, Previous Team: Minnesota
Hunter, Jeremiha, LB, 6-1/239, 1 Season, Previous Team: New Orleans
Jones, Eddie, LB, 6-3/260, 1 Season, Previous Team: N.Y. Jets
LaBoy, Travis, OLB, 6-3/250, 7 Seasons, Previous Team: San Diego
Leber, Ben, OLB, 6-3/245, 10 Seasons, Previous Team: St. Louis
McAdoo, Mike, LB, 6-7/245, 1 Season, Previous Team: Baltimore
Peguese, Brandon, LB, 6-1/230, 1 Season, Previous Team: Indianapolis
Poppinga, Brady, OLB, 6-3/252, 7 Seasons, Previous Team: St. Louis
Porter, Joey, OLB, 6-3/248, 13 Seasons, Previous Team: Arizona
Satele, Brashton, LB, 6-1/248, 1 Season, Previous Team: Dallas
Sims, Ernie, OLB, 6-1/230, 6 Seasons, Previous Team: Indianapolis
Smith, Brian, LB, 6-3/240, 1 Season, Previous Team: Cleveland
Triplett, Nate, LB, 6-3/247, 1 Season, Previous Team: San Diego
Vobora, David, LB, 6-1/239, 4 Seasons, Previous Team: Seattle
Hikohadon

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I think Veikune should be about ready to blossom, no?

Great minds think alike, so I looked up David to see if he was ready for a glorious return to the NFL. Sadly, it looks like it might be a few months before he gets into shape:

Wait, hasn't he been in camp before??
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm

I just don't see a vet LBer happening yet. I really think JMJ will get the snaps in a 3 game audition
jb

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 am

For those that have been to training camp, this quote from Colt McCoy confuses me:

"I have taken no reps with the first unit"

Not that it really matters because he is just being a whiny bitch, but did he get reps with the first unit?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:00 am

pup wrote:For those that have been to training camp, this quote from Colt McCoy confuses me:

"I have taken no reps with the first unit"

Not that it really matters because he is just being a whiny bitch, but did he get reps with the first unit?

Was confused by that too, as my brother and dad have went 3-4 times already and they mentioned he got maybe 10% of the snaps with the #1's or at least that's what it looked like to them.

Good sign is that hearing Rubin has progressed in his rehab and may even try to give it a few plays on Friday.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby neoleo » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am

jb wrote:I just don't see a vet LBer happening yet. I really think JMJ will get the snaps in a 3 game audition

You're good with Maiava starting on the other side and Achoo being your depth?

I was with you before the Gocong injury. JMJ could handle the open spot in Fujita's absence for three games with Maiava backing him up. No way do I want them both starting with another rookie as the top backup.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Colt McCoy wrote:"I haven't taken any snaps with the first group," McCoy said, via The Plain Dealer. "I thought coming in it would be a competition."

Holy shit. I can't remember a bigger bitch in the history of the NFL. Can we just cut this vagina and be done with it? Good Lord.

I'll tell you what Colt. We are having a competition. You got to start 20 games. Now Weeden gets to start his 20. After that competition we will name the starting QB going forward. Good luck and may the best man (or vagina) win.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm

No matter the race, I always root for the vagina to win.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 pm

neoleo wrote:
jb wrote:I just don't see a vet LBer happening yet. I really think JMJ will get the snaps in a 3 game audition

I was with you before the Gocong injury. JMJ could handle the open spot in Fujita's absence for three games with Maiava backing him up. No way do I want them both starting with another rookie as the top backup.

Agree.

The vet LB pickup isn't to start, per se, he's to provide the depth that Maiaiva or JMJ were supposed to be before one of them was forced into year-long starting duty.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:27 pm

neoleo wrote:

Well, ah, no.

But I wasn't talking about what I think I'd do.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:44 pm

jb wrote:
neoleo wrote:

Well, ah, no.

They'll bring in a LB when there are some substantive cuts around the league. No one they bring in today is worthy of a spot ahead of what they have now. Let that sink in and you can see what's out there. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
neoleo wrote:

Well, ah, no.

They'll bring in a LB when there are some substantive cuts around the league. No one they bring in today is worthy of a spot ahead of what they have now. Let that sink in and you can see what's out there. ;-) ;) :wink:

That'd be what I'd do....
jb

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL