Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Potential Indians Trade Targets

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Potential Indians Trade Targets

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Danny Knobbler of CBS Sports is saying that the Indians have informed teams they'll accept offers for Masterson. I can understand Choo, but Masterson may be taking things too far. He's under team control for quite a bit longer. That would definitely signal a rebuild if it comes to fruition.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Bigfist » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:54 pm

Wow...Masterson too? I guess our window of opportunity is officially closed. I guess if Masterson is on the market, can Asdrubal be far behind?
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Bigfist wrote:Wow...Masterson too? I guess our window of opportunity is officially closed. I guess if Masterson is on the market, can Asdrubal be far behind?

The thing is, if you're trading Choo and Perez, you are going to be a worse team in 2013 regardless of what you get back.

Even if you get high upside talent in return, they're not going to be at that level next season in what will likely be their first full season in the majors.

So, you either go all out rebuild for 2014 or you trade prospects for impact players that will be here next year too..... you don't half arse this thing!

We've tried this whole "retool" plan before and it doesn't work. You go aggressive to win, or you go aggressive to rebuild.

As Masterson and Cabrera are both scheduled for FA after the 2014 season, yeah, if you choose to move ML talent this year, then you move them too and build for a sustained run from 2014 onwards.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Bigfist wrote:Wow...Masterson too? I guess our window of opportunity is officially closed. I guess if Masterson is on the market, can Asdrubal be far behind?

Let's hope not. A retooling is one thing. This is something else. I think they would have to know this would be a full-scale PR nightmare and that they're just doing their due diligence in seeing what they could potentially acquire without actually committing to it. I mean, let's hope so, anyway.

Here's the article, for what it's worth. Hardly a done deal, and it sounds to me like more speculation than anything. Unfortunately, where there's smoke, there's often fire. Still, I'd be floored to see him go, especially by Tuesday.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19683166/indians-may-deal-masterson-rangers-red-sox-went-to-see-him
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 pm

On the other hand, if they would go the rebuild route, this actually may be the perfect time to do it from a PR standpoint. With the Olympics in full swing, the "casual" fan might not take much notice of players being dealt off until after the whole shin-dig is over.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:On the other hand, if they would go the rebuild route, this actually may be the perfect time to do it from a PR standpoint. With the Olympics in full swing, the "casual" fan might not take much notice of players being dealt off until after the whole shin-dig is over.

I'm not sure this team has casual fans anymore, and if so neither casual or hard core are going to take much notice. I think the notice has been taken for a few years now and definitely in the way of attendance.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Selling lower on Masterson than you would have at any other time. Not to mention he's a #3 on a good team.

Y'all can argue but he's not consistently out there giving you #1 or even #2 stuff. In fact, Masterson pretty much sums up this team as far as I'm concerned: you have no idea which effort is coming on any given night.

They tried to win with the corpse of Ubaldo and four or five #3-5 guys this year. The problem with 3-5 guys is exactly what you've seen from this staff this season. And it's way worse given Ubaldo's a damn #3/4 at this point as well.

At this point you may want to sell off anything not bolted down. Problem is that much of it's picked over and not worth the tag.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:40 pm

According to Rosenthal (whom I personally detest...there's something very creepy about the guy), the Indians are asking for a "good" major leaguer with less than three years service time for Choo.

Also, the Reds are interested, as well. I suppose if he HAS to be traded, it doesn't hurt to have two division rivals--Cincinnati and Pittsburgh--competing for him. May drive the price up and make it worthwhile for us.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 pm

a "good " major leaguer.....jesus christ. If that's all we are looking for, then keep him and try to win next year.

Also we have no pitching, so lets trade Masterson the only quality, affordable , pitcher that we do have. Im pretty sure you could come up with a deal to get one of his free agent seasons so he could stay through 2015. That next window of contention.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:42 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:How long do we have Masterson for? If only this yr. or next, then trade him. If longer, keep him.

From Cot's Baseball Contracts (now folded into the Baseball Prospectus site): "1 year/$3.825M (2012) ~~ re-signed by Cleveland 1/17/12 (avoided arbitration)"
Don't know if he has arbitration years left - someone else help out here?
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am

The Indians have Masterson controlled through 2014.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/payroll

If they're talking dealing Perez, Masterson and Choo, you also have to think they'd just plain give away Hafner for whatever salary another team would be willing to pick up.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:00 am

Choo makes sense, he's got Boras..etc...etc... No way in hell they could lock him up past next year. May as well get value. And Marte seems like a good player who is MLB ready.

Get rid of Lowe (if you can) and Perez (he could net a kings randsom) but Justin needs to stay. He's the most beloved guy as a teammate since Victor, and still an effective pitcher unless I post how well he's doing during the game.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

Roster-building has been pretty much a cluster-fuck since John Hart left, and with Shappy and Antonetti in charge, there's no reason to believe it will improve, now or in 2014 or in 2020. Their record stands for itself.

You can talk all you want about trades, but the few "steals" any team can manage are always balanced out by bad deals. On average, trades on a team with little to no personnel capital are garbage-in, garbage-out, and that's the way it's been here.

A mid-size-market organization is built through the draft (to create that core personnel capital). Trades, schmades.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 am

jerryroche wrote:Roster-building has been pretty much a cluster-fuck since John Hart left, and with Shappy and Antonetti in charge, there's no reason to believe it will improve, now or in 2014 or in 2020. Their record stands for itself.

You can talk all you want about trades, but the few "steals" any team can manage are always balanced out by bad deals. On average, trades on a team with little to no personnel capital are garbage-in, garbage-out, and that's the way it's been here.

A mid-size-market organization is built through the draft (to create that core personnel capital). Trades, schmades.

Are you really saying that over the long haul, we've given up more than we've gotten in trades since John Hart left? Is that actually what you're trying to say here?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:25 am

I wonder if masterson really is available, y]if that brings the Red sox to the table. We know they have tried to reacquire him before. Their system appeals to me more than both Cincy's and Pittsburgh, because I dont think Cole, Taillon, Mesorcao, or hamilton are going anywhere.

Boston might be more willing to give up a top teir guy(s) and their secondary guys are way more more appealing.

I still think they need to regroup and try to make one last run next year. Or wait to really make deals in the offseason unless a team blows you away.

This is just my opinion but if ownership approves a fire sale, to me it means they are not committed to putting in any money(in free agency or trades) into really trying to add to this team to try to win.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:42 am

In terms of implied odds, what are the chances that this current roster makes the playoffs next year? 5-10%? Maybe? If even that. They not only have to be buyers in free agency, but they probably have to acquire something this offseason in trade too.

That won't happen. The free agent market kind of sucks and some of the more attractive names have already signed with their current teams or been traded to teams they're likely to sign with.

Better off selling whatever has the most value. That would be Choo, Perez, and Masterson.

If you can net Marte, a top notch 1B/3B/LF prospect + SP prospect for Perez, and fill another 1B/3B/LF + SP hole with Masterson, it's worth your while.

The goal should be six Major Leaguers for those three pieces. Which would mean that they'd have to get all AA or AAA talent. No A-ball longshots, no matter how much upside. Can't take the chance at swinging and missing with another Jason Knapp.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 am

gotribe31 wrote:Are you really saying that over the long haul, we've given up more than we've gotten in trades since John Hart left? Is that actually what you're trying to say here?

I'm saying that, on average, trading is a zero-sum game. The Indians' front office has made some good trades and some bad. The Bartolo Colon trade was good. The CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee trades were bad. Most of the more minor trades have been slightly in the Tribe's favor (just look at the daily lineup), but the fact remains that you're still talking about a very, very average team, if that.

In other words, the roster's overall talent level has pretty much remained the same for the past 10 years. The team historically has had a .450 to .500 talent level, which is not good enough to win bupkus in 9 of 10 years. And the overall talent level won't improve until the drafts improve.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:08 am

For what it's worth, Buster Olney is reporting that the Indians are saying it's unlikely they'll trade Choo because they'd need the perfect offer to make it happen.

Of course, they've said stuff like that in the past and turned right around six hours later and moved the guy anyway (Lee, Victor). Maybe just media posturing? They're not exactly known for tipping their hands to the media anyway about possible deals...could this be a ploy to get potential trade partners to up their offers?
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 am

I just read the same thing and laughed. So far the its been reported that the Rangers out out and a deal with any team is unlikely.

So if we have learned anything about "reports" about trade rumors , Choo will be going to Texas in the next hour.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I just read the same thing and laughed. So far the its been reported that the Rangers out out and a deal with any team is unlikely.

So if we have learned anything about "reports" about trade rumors , Choo will be going to Texas in the next hour.

Yeah, I mean, since when have they even said they would move a particular player for the right price? They are notoriously tight-lipped about their plans and don't like when anything leaks early. For them to be even mentioning Choo's price to a media outlet is kind of intriguing.

Definitely not saying anything is happening, just that this is an unusual route they're taking.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:59 am

All they know how to do is rebuild. They don't know how to seal the deal.

If it doesn't work, they sell. They have NO CLUE how to put the finishing touches on.

This regime has to go. They take very nice looking spreadsheets to Dolan with a fat ass bottom line, and he loves it.

They are a business owner's dream come true for a President and a General Manager.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Let's face it, when Antonetti traded our two top pitching prospects for a Jimenez, he went all-in. Problem was, he went all-in on a pitcher whose numbers weren't trending well. Instead of the potential Cy Young candidate, we ended up with Fausto Carmona's identical twin. They were more enamored with his 'favorable contract' and ignored some warning signs that he wasn't going to be the pitcher he was two seasons ago, and instead of risking a third year on Josh Willingham, we signed Grady for another year of service on the DL.

It's not all Jimenez's fault. Masterson has been up and down, Tomlin has been horrible. In order for Cleveland to truly compete this year, they had to count of Pronk and Grady being healthy and productive, Masterson and Jimenez to pitch like aces and several other guys to have career years. None of it happened, and now we've got no true trading chips in the minors, save Lindor. To say we are beyond screwed is an understatement.

I don't even trust management to make good trades if they decided to sell. We are stuck being a .500 team at best as it stands right now.

What a mess.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Yeah, I mean, since when have they even said they would move a particular player for the right price? They are notoriously tight-lipped about their plans and don't like when anything leaks early. For them to be even mentioning Choo's price to a media outlet is kind of intriguing.

Definitely not saying anything is happening, just that this is an unusual route they're taking.

Well, they'd be stupid not to. They know as well as we all do, and as well as every other team in baseball knows, that Choo's gone after next season. He's a Boras client. The guy at MLB Trade Rumors projects 7.8M for Choo next year in arbitration. He's trending way upward in FA money.

Jayson Werth got 7/126 for a .260/.355/.465/.820.

What will Choo get for a .291/.383/.474/.857?

The Indians have to see what they can get and continue to bring teams into the mix or release info about teams in the mix to drive up the price. To them, right or wrong, there is no losing scenario. They either trade him for maximum value or they keep him because they're convinced that they can contend in 2013. (I personally disagree, with the current roster, but their view is different)

I don't think a trade gets done, but, I'm hopeful that one does and that it makes us better in the future.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Great link posted on twitter by Pauly C regarding the trade deadline and what clubs go through to try and do a deal:

http://bit.ly/Odwn9s

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 pm

So then this team needs to trade any competent player with less then 2 years until FA? Because he will cost too much to keep in FA and even his arbitration salary will be too high?

Then what logically follows is a team of talented, but unproven rookies as well as incompetent veterans.

Good luck 'contending' with that model. Its nonsense.

This isn't about rebuilding, its not about creating a window of contention in the future.

What this is really all about is maintaining the low-cost salary structure of the team. That is all. It has nothing to do with winning a World Series. Trade the guys that are getting expensive for guys that are inexpensive and can fill out an MLB roster.

To even listen to offers on Choo, Perez and Masterson, guys with more then 1 year of control left should tell you everything you need to know about the intentions of this front office.

If it was really about a rebuild, guess what, they're going to stink in 2013 too, you could trade Choo then. A trade in 2012 is about cost control. That's all.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm

DOLANZ CHEAP!!@$%!%!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:So then this team needs to trade any competent player with less then 2 years until FA? Because he will cost too much to keep in FA and even his arbitration salary will be too high?

Then what logically follows is a team of talented, but unproven rookies as well as incompetent veterans.

Good luck 'contending' with that model. Its nonsense.

This isn't about rebuilding, its not about creating a window of contention in the future.

What this is really all about is maintaining the low-cost salary structure of the team. That is all. It has nothing to do with winning a World Series. Trade the guys that are getting expensive for guys that are inexpensive and can fill out an MLB roster.

To even listen to offers on Choo, Perez and Masterson, guys with more then 1 year of control left should tell you everything you need to know about the intentions of this front office.

If it was really about a rebuild, guess what, they're going to stink in 2013 too, you could trade Choo then. A trade in 2012 is about cost control. That's all.

I disagree with nearly all of this post. The point in trading a player with 1.5 years left instead of a couple months is that he has more value and you should be able to get a bigger return. We've harped all season long about the number of holes on this team. Filling three is better than filling two and filling two is better than filling one. Trading a player with more contractual control should do that. At least, that's the idea behind it.

It has nothing to do with cost control because the Indians have very few costs next season. The payroll is practically empty. I wasn't pointing to Choo's projected arbitration for anything other than to say that his price in free agency is continuously going up and that's why we'd have no chance.

No, it isn't a great model. But, it worked in 2005 and 2007. They just couldn't seal the deal. It was supposed to work now. It didn't because of some decisions, some bad luck, and the two key trades of Sabathia and Lee not working out.

They're trying to maximize value. Closers have a lot of turnover. Is Chris Perez the next John Axford? Who knows. But the Indians don't want to take that chance and see his trade value evaporate.

If they fall flat on their faces next year, and have zero leverage with Choo, what kind of return can they actually get next July? A lot less of one than they can get this July. Teams know that they have to trade Choo next year and get what they can if they aren't in the hunt. They don't have to trade Choo next year, so teams have to come with a good enough offer to get him.

They should be putting these players out there and seeing what they can get. All it tells me is that they know that they're a longshot in 2013. Has nothing to do with finances.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Along with Tripods' point, with the new CBA and its free-agent compensation rules, Choo's trade value will go WAY down if he's traded anytime after Opening Day next year. A team trading for him then won't get a compensation pick if he leaves via free agency after the season, which seriously undercuts the return on him.

I'd rather trade him when we're for sure out of the hunt this year than magically expect to contend with him next season, only to find out that it (surprise) isn't the case once again.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
only to find out that it (surprise) isn't the case once again.

Well thanks for ruining next year for me dude. Please put a spoiler alert in your post next time. ;-) ;) :wink:

Hey Cliff Lee is avavilable...95 million over 4 years plus maybe an option year in 2016.

Im proud of myself for being able to get through typing that without laughing to death
Last edited by Dnthateonthepronk on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 pm

According to Jon Morosi via twitter:

"The Indians are receiving a number of calls on Perez and Choo. They are available. But nothing close at this hour, sources say."
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Hey Cliff Lee is avavilable...95 million over 4 years plus maybe an option year in 2016.

Im proud of myself for being able to get through typing that without laughing to death

I wonder if he even bothers unpacking anymore.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Hey Cliff Lee is avavilable...95 million over 4 years plus maybe an option year in 2016.

It really has become comical.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:

It really has become comical.

If he does get traded, I imagine he's going to be pissed. He turned down some more lucrative offers to return to the Phillies, just to get traded away so early into his deal.

Of course, he's going to make an insane amount of money by the time the deal is up, wherever he is. That should ease his pain somewhat.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:15 pm

That's what I was thinking. I think he is heading back to Texas.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:DOLANZ CHEAP!!@$%!%!

BESTEST RUN ORGANIZACHON IN UNIVERSE
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

pup wrote:

Proclaiming and organization the best run of three of the shittiest organizations in the entire sports spectrum is far from best in the universe.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I wonder if masterson really is available, y]if that brings the Red sox to the table. We know they have tried to reacquire him before. Their system appeals to me more than both Cincy's and Pittsburgh, because I dont think Cole, Taillon, Mesorcao, or hamilton are going anywhere.

Boston might be more willing to give up a top teir guy(s) and their secondary guys are way more more appealing.

Seriously, WHO does Bahstun have to give up? None of their ML pitchers. Beckett stinks this year and has been trending downward over the last several seasons. Lester has gone all Ubaldo on them and just can't find his "stuff". Buchholz has a winning record this year (unlike the first two, who are 10-17 combined) but he's been up-and-down too. They messed Bard up so much he doesn't know if he's a starter, reliever, or which way is home plate. Their best pitcher is Felix Doubront. Who?

I don't follow the minor leagues so you might know of players that are almost ready for prime time. All I know is their current major leaguers have them playing around .500. Hmm, sounds like the Tribe, but with a much higher payroll...
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:36 pm

BREAKING NEWS: A quarter just rolled down Dolan's staircase. He's desperately tearing the house apart in a mad attempt to find it before the housekeeper does.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Today is Bud Selig's birthday. He's 132 years young today. Happy birthday, Bud!!

Okay, he's not 132. I exaggerated. He's 120.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm hoping you're at the end of this side-splitting comedy set.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:I'm hoping you're at the end of this side-splitting comedy set.

careful, we dont need a Micheal Richards situation
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:20 pm

peeker643 wrote:I'm hoping you're at the end of this side-splitting comedy set.

Thank you, I'm here all week.

What does Larry Dolan say when he picks up the check at a restaurant?

That's a trick question...it's never happened!

Okay, now I'm done.

(Disclaimer...I'm actually not one of those "Dolan is cheap" people. I just find the situation funny. And by funny, I mean genuinely sad.)
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:

Seriously, WHO does Bahstun have to give up? None of their ML pitchers. Beckett stinks this year and has been trending downward over the last several seasons. Lester has gone all Ubaldo on them and just can't find his "stuff". Buchholz has a winning record this year (unlike the first two, who are 10-17 combined) but he's been up-and-down too. They messed Bard up so much he doesn't know if he's a starter, reliever, or which way is home plate. Their best pitcher is Felix Doubront. Who?

I don't follow the minor leagues so you might know of players that are almost ready for prime time. All I know is their current major leaguers have them playing around .500. Hmm, sounds like the Tribe, but with a much higher payroll...

They have quite a few interesting pieces. Some of them may still be unrealistic but are more realistic than some other names.

At least to me Mat Barnes, Ryan Lavarnaway, Anthony Raunado, Junichi Tazawa, Garin Cecchinni, Xander Boagarts, Brandon Jacobs, Jackie Bradley. These guys excite me more than the some of the other systems.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:At least to me Mat Barnes, Ryan Lavarnaway, Anthony Raunado, Junichi Tazawa, Garin Cecchinni, Xander Boagarts, Brandon Jacobs, Jackie Bradley. These guys excite me more than the some of the other systems.

As a Gamecocks fan, watched a lot of Jackie Bradley Jr. during their CWS runs in 2010 & 2011. Kid has a ton of tools. Little bit of arrogance to his game as well. Smart hitter, hit in the middle of the order at USC, but seemed like he could hit just about anywhere. Pretty fast, good outfielder.

Not sure he projects well enough to be a centerpiece to a Masterson deal, but definitely a kid I wouldn't mind seeing in a deal.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:At least to me Mat Barnes, Ryan Lavarnaway, Anthony Raunado, Junichi Tazawa, Garin Cecchinni, Xander Boagarts, Brandon Jacobs, Jackie Bradley. These guys excite me more than the some of the other systems.

As a Gamecocks fan, watched a lot of Jackie Bradley Jr. during their CWS runs in 2010 & 2011. Kid has a ton of tools. Little bit of arrogance to his game as well. Smart hitter, hit in the middle of the order at USC, but seemed like he could hit just about anywhere. Pretty fast, good outfielder.

Not sure he projects well enough to be a centerpiece to a Masterson deal, but definitely a kid I wouldn't mind seeing in a deal.

Arrogance? We can't have that here!

Seriously, he is an intriguing piece. I've thought he has the potential to be a good player, too. Certainly not a centerpiece, as you said, but I wouldn't object to picking him up in the right deal. Problem is, I don't know what else they would include that we'd be willing to bite on.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

oh yeah, I wouldnt accept him as a centerpiece. Hypothetically for me a deal would have to start with Matt Barnes followed by a combo of 1 or 2 of the other guys and maybe a lower a high upside bullpen arm.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
pup wrote:

Proclaiming and organization the best run of three of the shittiest organizations in the entire sports spectrum is far from best in the universe.

....and a one-eyed jack in the land of the blind is a visionary right?

In terms of attendance, W/L record and playoff appearances over the Dolan's tenure the Indians are absolutely worse than the Cavs (and that isn't saying a ton). The Browns over that time are in a league of their own in terms of miserable failure but at least they now seem to be trending up. Certainly can't say that about the Indians.

Dolan bought a team with the highest attendance in the league a high payroll, and a real ML roster (pretty bare minor league system though). Him and his appointed leaders have run it so far into the ground no one cares about the team and they have the worst attendance in the leauge, another losing record, a major league roster full of holes and a shitty minor league system. It's a fuckiing sad joke and a disaster. To imply otherwise it either disingenous, stupid or just trolling to fuck with the same people that piss you off on the Cavs board.

This organization had such a massive headstart over the other pro sports teams in Cleveland when the Dolan't bought it that it shouldn't even be a discussion point now. At the time the Dolans bought the Indians the Browns were an expansion team and the Cavs were on life support.

The Indians were essentiallly up 42-0 against a couple of criples and after 3 consecutive funbles, 2 interceptions, 10 false start penalties, 2 illegal substitutions, one TT draft, one ESPN Souft Beach decision, one Mangini, 1 Phil Savage and lots of ShapTanetti bullshit they are in a dead heat and clear favorites to lead Cleveland sports in the suck department going forward.

There is no doubt in my mind that a drunken collection of you, MotherScratcher, Pros, Dennis Kucinich, Peeeker, Ted Stepien's dead corpse and Delonte West could do a better job of managing the indians than Antonetti, Shap and Dolan. That's not even a fucking joke either as long as Kucinich doesn't have much say in the decisions.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

YahooFanChicago wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that a drunken collection of you, MotherScratcher, Pros, Dennis Kucinich, Peeeker, Ted Stepien's dead corpse and Delonte West could do a better job of managing the indians than Antonetti, Shap and Dolan. That's not even a fucking joke either as long as Kucinich doesn't have much say in the decisions.

I couldn't work with those three assholes.

And I probably wouldn't be able to work with Delonte, Kucinich or Dead Stepien either.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 pm

A legit question...in all seriousness, at what point do Shapiro and Antonetti start worrying about job security? During their regime, we've been through two full (and maybe on the cusp of a third) rebuilds...I can't think of many front offices that have stayed intact during that entire span (San Francisco, Colorado, maybe?) and certainly not through so many failed attempts at contention. Seriously, most GMs get one chance to build a winner, sometimes two if they're well-regarded, before they're shown the door.

I'm not privy to the inner workings of the Tribe's relationships (shocking, I know), but the Dolans have historically given Shapiro and company a great deal of room and a pressure-free environment in which to work and generally seem to hold them in high regard, but at some point, regardless of what they really think of the work the front office has done, don't they have to start considering relieving them of their duties, if for nothing else than PR's sake? I mean, they're facing a rapidly shrinking fan base that's beyond apathetic, and they've shown no signs of selling. If they're serious about keeping the team, don't they have to consider a change, just to placate what's left of the fans? Right or wrong (I say most definitely right), they finally canned Wedgie, and you know deep down they hated doing it (I think Shapiro sobbed himself to sleep that night and for many after over it), but I think they did it just to shut the fans up and hope to God they'd stop bitching. They didn't really WANT to or think it was really necessary, but they did. Which is why I wonder if the Dolans will start thinking the same way about Shapiro and his boy wonder.

So, do they have something to worry about? It's not a rhetorical question and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass...I'm curious what the opinion is.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 am

Good question Harry, I guess we will find out the answer to that one later.

My guess is that the Dolan's don't make any FO changes yet. It seems like somewhat of a mutual preservation arrangement between ownership and the Front Office. ShapAnneti do the bidding of the Dolan's working with very limited payroll in order to generate positive profit and cash flow (at least as per Forbes) without bitching about it and in return the Dolan's give them a long leash and high job security.

Both sides go merrily on their way pocketing some decent coin and accurately pointing out that baseball has an un-even playing field. It was probably cozy and comfortable for them for awhile but it is not tennable long term as they continue to become increasingly reliant on revenue sharing as attendance continues to decline, even TV viewership is now declining for the tribe and league-wide payroll costs continue to escalate.

Eventually something has to give but I don't feel that it has reached that level yet and ownership will continue to try and maintain the status quo as long as cash flow is positive. I bet when it does change it will be very sudden similar to the Lerner/Browns events recently.

i think 5 years ago Shapiro was considered somewhat of a Wiz and a high potential young baseball Exec.. I am not so sure that image still exists. I am sure some other owner would give him a pass and another shot due to the payroll constraints that he faces here. That said, his performance after the initial great Bartolo trade has not been too good.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB