Text Size

College Sports Arena

Impending Penn State Transfer Bonanza

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Impending Penn State Transfer Bonanza

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Assuming the leaks are true, any thoughts by those who know as to who we might expect to come to CBus & impact right away?

Really optimistic this windfall can kick start the Meyer Era as the kids do the right thing.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Impending Penn State Transfer Bonanza

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:09 am

Sort of like stealing the watch off a dead guy lying in the alley, but.....

seriously, you'd have to be very careful how you handle this stuff if you're Urban Meyer...the optics of it could do more harm than the players you get could do good...

Disclaimers aside...the big offensive tackle from PA, Dorian Johnson is a guy just about any program in the country would have taken, and he's probably the only guy I'd be interested in from their class...at a position of need for OSU. Most folks think he would end up at Pitt or WVU though, if he decides to leave PSU.

The TE Brenneman (sp?) had an OSU offer, but they have signed others since, and Brenneman tore his ACL and is out for the season.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 am

Hate to sound like a big ole downer here, but there is not much on PSU that we would really want. There are a couple of recruits that would be good. I would love to grab Dorian Johnson (5*OT), but he would be a long shot. They have a nice TE recruit (#1 TE), but he is coming off an ACL. tOSU is already VERY deep at TE, I would prefer to just stick with Baugh (#3 TE). Douglass couldn't hold any of tOSU's DB recruits jocks and he is there best guy in the secondary. Sickells is a nice recruit, but tOSU really doesn't need ANOTHER DE. Webb (DT) has already decommitted and is now going to UNC. He would have been a nice pick up, but tOSU already has 2 DTs in the class. Hackenburg (Prostyle QB) has been blowing up camps and combines all summer, but Miller has 3 years left and JT Barrett (looks pretty damn good himself) is already on board for 2013 and he fits tOSU's offense better. Couple that with tOSU position with 2014 QBs, and it would make more sense for tOSU to save that schollie too.

As for current players, tOSU needs linemen, playmakers and LBs.

PSU really doesn't have any playmakers.
PSU's line is pretty decent, but not great. Not sure there is anyone there with enough eligibility to be a good match.
PSU does have a couple of good LBs, but tOSU just brought in 5 last year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 am

Reference my comment above about treading lightly and discreetly in this area, the phrase "the vultures are circling" is already being worn out on Twitter.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm

FoxSports tweets:

FOX Sports Ohio ‏@FOXSportsOH

Clarification on PSU transfers - if you take a PSU player this year, it counts on your scholarship total for NEXT season.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Very glad to hear that Meyer is against recruiting players currently on PSU's roster. I would have been sick if OSU had a coach stalking kids on campus like certain other institutions....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 am

Other than Redd to SC possibly, anythig else brewing?

I hope we can stil get some OLmen & DB depth.
jb

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:24 pm

We wouldn't really want anyone from PSU. They are going to be starting 3 new DBs this year, none seem any more promising that tOSU's youngins, similar issues on the OL.

It seems likely that Redd will be the only guy to split. If this happened in May or June, it would be WAY more likely, but the players have less than a week before camp.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:03 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ision-stay

So that tumbling house of cards certain internet insiders have been running around predicting regarding this 2013 PSU class isn't going to happen..... SHOCKING!

The four best recruits in the class are all firm and staying and a total of seven out of 12 have no affirmed their commitments.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8210231/top-penn-state-nittany-lions-recruits-meet-reaffirm-decision-stay

So that tumbling house of cards certain internet insiders have been running around predicting regarding this 2013 PSU class isn't going to happen..... SHOCKING!

The four best recruits in the class are all firm and staying and a total of seven out of 12 have no affirmed their commitments.

Meh... this whole stupid thing reminds me of weathermen screaming about apocalyptic storms once a week, staying inside, don't dare venture out, ration your food and ammunition, and then you get almost an inch of snow flurries.

If we stop parroting these talking heads they may ultimately have to go a different route than teasing and titillating and throwing shit at a wall.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 am

Problem is that there is no media accountability.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:07 am

furls wrote:Problem is that there is no media accountability.

I don't know, Mike. The counter people at McDonald's give you exactly what you ask for too.

If people didn't eat it up those who serve it would be forced to find something else to provide.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

e0y2e3 wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8210231/top-penn-state-nittany-lions-recruits-meet-reaffirm-decision-stay

I also believe this will play out in the future. thereductions & loss of bowl will still net them about the same quality of player; just fewer.

The hype about them not being able to play with the middle/lower Big 11 will be overblown. And thus the punishment won't be as bad as made out to be in the immediate aftermath.
jb

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:

I don't know, Mike. The counter people at McDonald's give you exactly what you ask for too.

If people didn't eat it up those who serve it would be forced to find something else to provide.

No accountability at McD's either. Do employees routinely get fired for fucking up your drive through order? Nope. If they did, they might get that shit right. I think you kind of made my point.

The problem is that 9/10 times you just drive home and eat that nasty fish samich even though you ordered a chicken samich, so no one is all the wiser that the drive through is nearly as fucked up as it is.

The issue is that everyone knows that Skip Bayless (and his ilk) is an idiot, yet people continue to watch it, therefore ESPiN (and similar organizations) doesn't care.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:23 pm

furls wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

No accountability at McD's either. Do employees routinely get fired for fucking up your drive through order? Nope. If they did, they might get that shit right. I think you kind of made my point.

The problem is that 9/10 times you just drive home and eat that nasty fish samich even though you ordered a chicken samich, so no one is all the wiser that the drive through is nearly as fucked up as it is.

The issue is that everyone knows that Skip Bayless (and his ilk) is an idiot, yet people continue to watch it, therefore ESPiN (and similar organizations) doesn't care.

Yep. Two sides of same coin.

It's bad for you and still people order it up. And yes, that goes for McD's and Skip Bayless. But McD's and Skip wouldn't be mentioned ever again if people stopped eating shit or watching shit. As long as they continue to be okay with it we'll get more and more shit.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Heh....I do my part

<----shrugs

<----- and misses Howard Cosell
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

First time ever.... I am on board with FMB.

I stopped watching all the ESPN talking head BS a couple years ago. I will listen to Cowherd as he does have some decent takes, but in general I don't pay attention to much on that except their live broadcasts. Gameday was decent until Lee Corso went completely senile, I just get all my lawn work done now between 10am and noon kicks.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Hope and Change, baby. Hope and Change
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm

furls wrote:First time ever.... I am on board with FMB.

I stopped watching all the ESPN talking head BS a couple years ago. I will listen to Cowherd as he does have some decent takes, but in general I don't pay attention to much on that except their live broadcasts. Gameday was decent until Lee Corso went completely senile, I just get all my lawn work done now between 10am and noon kicks.

Me too.

It was surprisingly easy actually. I never missed it. I watch live events and read linked articles. I like some of their baseball guys but I'm not going to pay insider for Law so, oh well. With everything else out there I never missed it.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Not to mention asswipes like Bradshaw, Irwin , Neon and any one of any other 10-20 morons in bad suits who speak gutter English
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am

Silas Redd is confirmed to USC, and now the bleeding truly starts. DT Jamil Pollard is heading to Rutgers. TE Kevin Haplea to Florida State. QB Rob Bolden looks like he's heading to LSU.

Suprising in some sense that the juniors are leaving as well, especially those with a NFL future. Over/under on how many players Penn State opens the season with on scholarship? I'd set the target around 70-75...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:12 pm

jb

Unread postby furls » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

They lost a pretty good WR too. All in all the losses are not that bad, but unfortunately PSU was not particularly deep. I didn't see if Issah transferred and I am too lazy to look it up. If he did (and he was rumored to be looking), PSU would be in serious trouble at RB.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:43 am

The team is dead in the water if McGloin gets injured. Hell, perhaps even with Moxie himself.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 am

OT Dorion Johnson decommited. He was looking @ Va Tech, tOSU, & WVU before. He is a beast.
Last edited by pod2dawg on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 am

He'll be taking an official to OSU if the class isn't filled by then and he is a beast, the first of the real big PSU recruits to decommit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to College Sports Arena