Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Grady's done

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Grady's done

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 pm

According to sources (to lazy/sad to link) Grady's rehab is not going well. Looks like he done. :bag:

"Mistah Kurtz...he dead" - Heart of Darkness
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Grady's done

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Its ok. Don't fret none. We got Johnny Damon holding the fort down until Grady comes back.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:04 pm

He's only signed for this year, right?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Yup. 2012, $5M plus incentives. If he calls it quits now does that mean the Tribe gets a rebate back on the remainder of the contract?
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:53 pm

He will be back next year on a $1 million dollar deal
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:37 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:He will be back next year on a $1 million dollar deal

Based on reports...that would be optimistic. I think he's closer to "being able to walk without massive pain" than "Pro-athlete"

Dammit man...guys comps were Duke Snider. Duke HOF Snyder.

/beyond sad at this...just...bummed man.

Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby pup » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm

No way.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 pm

bookelly wrote:
Based on reports...that would be optimistic. I think he's closer to "being able to walk without massive pain" than "Pro-athlete"

I wanted to say minor league deal but I couldnt bring myself to type it. How the mighty have fallen. :partyers:
Last edited by Dnthateonthepronk on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 pm

He was the last remaining piece from the Colon trade correct?

Glad we made the most of that deal...
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

If he's too immobile to do even the most basic of drills, then he's probably unable to, um, "drill" that fiancée of his. I volunteer my services if necessary.

(Please please please be necessary.)
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 am

Adverb Harry wrote:If he's too immobile to do even the most basic of drills, then he's probably unable to, um, "drill" that fiancée of his. I volunteer my services if necessary.

(Please please please be necessary.)

I 2nd
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:48 am

If he doesn't play at all this year, insurance will cover at least most of his $5 mil, correct? So there's something at least.

bookelly wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:He will be back next year on a $1 million dollar deal

Dammit man...guys comps were Duke Snider. Duke HOF Snyder.

/beyond sad at this...just...bummed man.

This, exactly. It's unbelievably sad.

I'd heard back in early June from an Indians source that the "setback" they'd talked about was another injury. This usually very optimistic person said that, in their opinion, Grady was done. Wasn't sure if they meant this season or career, but I took it as being career.

I was a bit confused though as he was still hitting and throwing, and still is even now. But, the recent rumor is that the setback he suffered in late May was a stress fracture in one of his legs. If true, it makes sense that he can throw/hit but not run.

At this point, though he won't anytime soon because he's not the type, it's probably better for the rest of his life if he just retires. No matter how hard he works, I am convinced his body will never let him play again. I think his legs have just had enough. It can (& will) only get worse and sooner or later he may do something that affects his quality of life. But he loves to play too much and, I think, he'll keep trying until nobody wants him and/or his body totally gives out.

We all know how he played baseball with reckless abandon, imagine how the guy probably played other sports. Aside from LL/club/HS baseball, he played pee-wee soccer, pee-wee football, then high school football & basketball. And in football he was basically always in the game. Played offense, defense and special teams. Was the PG on the basketball team, then had constant baseball on top of that. I can't imagine how he probably threw himself around the football field and basketball court. 15-20 years of that will take it's toll eventually.

It really is sad. I don't get the vitriol thrown his way by a lot of Tribe fans though. One can debate and even degrade/hate the signing of him last November all you want. No matter how stupid one may think that decision by Shaptonetti was, it's not Grady's fault. Hating on the guy, calling him a loser or a bum or saying "f--- him" because he's been beset with multiple injuries... that's just not right. And I don't understand it. We can be frustrated, disappointed, angry at what could have been all we want. But I'd wager to say that, $5 million in his pocket or not, Grady's a hell of a lot more frustrated/disappointed/angry than any of us could possibly ever be.

ETA: Sorry guys, as far as I know he's not that immobile. ;-) ;) :wink:
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm

I think the vitriol is frustration, but not necessarily at Sizemore. Let's face it, had he fulfilled his promise as a baseball player, he'd have reaped a pretty sizable payday coming up in this off-season. We might even be talking about who we should be trading him to in order to get quality players back and lamenting how we can't afford to keep high priced FA here.

His talent and career derailment only reinforces what a lot of people feel about the future success for the Indians.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:I think the vitriol is frustration, but not necessarily at Sizemore. Let's face it, had he fulfilled his promise as a baseball player, he'd have reaped a pretty sizable payday coming up in this off-season. We might even be talking about who we should be trading him to in order to get quality players back and lamenting how we can't afford to keep high priced FA here.

His talent and career derailment only reinforces what a lot of people feel about the future success for the Indians.

That is all understandable. However, the "loser, pussy, bum, etc" and other horrible remarks on places like Twitter that are very much directed straight at him are not. That's just plain idiocy. But I guess that's the rub, some people are too stupid to bother with.
cozmeesah

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm

cozmeesah wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:I think the vitriol is frustration, but not necessarily at Sizemore. Let's face it, had he fulfilled his promise as a baseball player, he'd have reaped a pretty sizable payday coming up in this off-season. We might even be talking about who we should be trading him to in order to get quality players back and lamenting how we can't afford to keep high priced FA here.

That is all understandable. However, the "loser, pussy, bum, etc" and other horrible remarks on places like Twitter that are very much directed straight at him are not. That's just plain idiocy. But I guess that's the rub, some people are too stupid to bother with.

Pervasive ignorance. Nothing you can do about that except follow a very small number of people on Twitter, turn off re-tweets and hope for the best ;-) ;) :wink:

Grady has never done anything other than play and train hard. Every single day he's been here he's done that.

His body failed him. To personally criticize the guy for that is ignorance and stupidity. As you noted above, no one is likely sicker than Grady about it.

I look around at the ignorance and stupidity that surrounds us and simply wouldn't blame some higher power for pulling the plug and starting over with single-cell organisms and a clean slate.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:06 pm

So is there any actual source about Grady being done or his rehab going poorly?

Or is this whole thread just rumor and speculation about nothing?
bac5665

Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

bac5665 wrote:So is there any actual source about Grady being done or his rehab going poorly?

It spawned from a Buster Olney tweet that said that the Indians "aren't expecting anything from Grady Sizemore" and that "his legs aren't responding to rehab".
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

cozmeesah wrote:

These are the same guys who equate playing beer league softball with 'being a ball player'.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
bac5665 wrote:So is there any actual source about Grady being done or his rehab going poorly?

It spawned from a Buster Olney tweet that said that the Indians "aren't expecting anything from Grady Sizemore" and that "his legs aren't responding to rehab".

Thanks. I was trying to find a report somewhere and found nothing.

As to the tweet itself, that's good to know but I'll wait for a more official or detailed statement before panicking or holding a funeral for Grady's career.
bac5665

Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm

I think he's done regardless of how accurate Buster's info is. Even if he does get back to play for a month, something else will inevitably happen.

I'll be more than thrilled if I am wrong. I don't want him to be done. A talent like that in a (by all accounts) great guy who absolutely loves to play, baseball needs guys like him. Regardless the team he's on. I hope he can eventually come back and be even 60% the player he used to be. Even if it's in 2014, that would be great to see (and a Disney movie waiting to happen.)

But, at this point, it doesn't sound like he'll be able to avoid injuries enough to play baseball at this level. No sooner he gets near the end of rehabbing one thing, something else goes SPROIIIING. Has to make a person crazy after a while.
cozmeesah

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:59 pm

The next contract he is offered, if ever, would be a minor league one with an invite to spring training. No-one's gonna throw guaranteed money at him any more.

I'd be interested to see if Cleveland was even able to get insurance on that contract. If you were an insurance company seeing his last few years, would you insure that deal?
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:

I look around at the ignorance and stupidity that surrounds us and simply wouldn't blame some higher power for pulling the plug and starting over with single-cell organisms and a clean slate.

Well I think we just found the real plot for Prometheous. The engineers were pissed about people dissing Grady on Twitter.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:28 pm

The goddamned plane has crashed into the mountain.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:50 pm

On the subject of CF's being done, the Tribe have released Trevor Crowe from AAA Columbus.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby DanErie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 pm

After that 'setback' in his recovery everybody I talked to within the Indians organization was basically talking about him in the past tense in terms of his playing career. I've presumed since spring training that he was finished and so did the Indians for that matter. Easy to say now, but most said it when they signed him ... poor decision.
DanErie

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:11 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:On the subject of CF's being done, the Tribe have released Trevor Crowe from AAA Columbus.

Wow, I was hoping he'd get back going.

The cupboard is getting bare.
Spin

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 am

On the topic of "Grady-hating," I know a young (to me) girl who "turned" on him after the naked pic flap. This also happened right around the time she tried to get his autograph and said he was really rude.

While I can't speak to the actual situation since I wasn't there and only heard her side of the story, I do know all those "Grady's Ladies" just turned on him overnight.

Apologies to any women reading this, but this further supports my theory that "Bitches be crazy!"
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

justmebd wrote:
Apologies to any women reading this, but this further supports my theory that "Bitches be crazy!"

Funny.

Maybe she caught him on a bad day. Ive seen Grady interact with fans up close a lot and has always been quite cordial. He was super cool to me when he was in Buffalo and they were playing the Norfolk Tides down here. Signed a bunch of stuff and a personal ball for my sister and made a joke about it. Interacted with the few Indians fans that showed up.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:10 pm

justmebd wrote:On the topic of "Grady-hating," I know a young (to me) girl who "turned" on him after the naked pic flap. This also happened right around the time she tried to get his autograph and said he was really rude.

While I can't speak to the actual situation since I wasn't there and only heard her side of the story, I do know all those "Grady's Ladies" just turned on him overnight.

Yeah, they did. I was actually happy about that. Because obviously most weren't baseball fans to begin with and their turning on him (when he did nothing wrong) just meant less idiots at the games irritating me. I don't know what they thought before that, I guess they assumed he was a choir boy virgin?

I never saw or heard him be rude while giving autographs. I have, however, seen and heard those girls be absolutely obnoxious and ridiculous. One time 4-5 years ago he emerged into the player lot after a game with his then gf. A girl screamed out at the top of her lungs "Drop that bitch, she only wants you for your money!"

Another time, after the Winter Press Tour stop in Canton was over, he was walking towards the doors to the venue and out to the bus. As soon as the females there saw he was away from security they immediately RAN at him in this huge group. I'd say 20-30 women & girls just rushed him & trapped him by the doors. Needless to say he looked a bit terrified.

And they wonder why he wouldn't sign for them too often. Some chicks make me ashamed of my gender. Be a fangirl all you want, but don't act like a lunatic and expect to be treated cordially.
cozmeesah

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 pm

cozmeesah wrote:
justmebd wrote:On the topic of "Grady-hating," I know a young (to me) girl who "turned" on him after the naked pic flap. This also happened right around the time she tried to get his autograph and said he was really rude.

Yeah, they did. I was actually happy about that. Because obviously most weren't baseball fans to begin with and their turning on him (when he did nothing wrong) just meant less idiots at the games irritating me. I don't know what they thought before that, I guess they assumed he was a choir boy virgin?

I never saw or heard him be rude while giving autographs. I have, however, seen and heard those girls be absolutely obnoxious and ridiculous. One time 4-5 years ago he emerged into the player lot after a game with his then gf. A girl screamed out at the top of her lungs "Drop that bitch, she only wants you for your money!"

Another time, after the Winter Press Tour stop in Canton was over, he was walking towards the doors to the venue and out to the bus. As soon as the females there saw he was away from security they immediately RAN at him in this huge group. I'd say 20-30 women & girls just rushed him & trapped him by the doors. Needless to say he looked a bit terrified.

And they wonder why he wouldn't sign for them too often. Some chicks make me ashamed of my gender. Be a fangirl all you want, but don't act like a lunatic and expect to be treated cordially.

I do believe this girl probably acted like a lunatic. I love her to death, but she's loopy.
justmebd

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

cozmeesah wrote:

This happens to me all the time. You get used to it...
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:23 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:This happens to me all the time. You get used to it...

You beat me to it ;-) ;) :wink:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 pm

I was wondering who would say it first.
cozmeesah

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:This happens to me all the time. You get used to it...

You beat me to it ;-) ;) :wink:

The ladies dig guys with advanced degrees in the physical sciences...
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm

I WISH it would happen to me.
Adverb Harry

Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Which is why you'll find me, an old "chick", in the room/on the deck with the guys talking sports when we go to parties. My dear hubby knows not to find me where the women are talking *yawn* all night.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10 am

Awesome read, Peek. Spot on.
cozmeesah

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 am

cozmeesah wrote:Awesome read, Peek. Spot on.

Thanks for reading and posting, coz. Much appreciated. Truly think the guy's stardom and potential greatness gets put to the side when you look at those four years and what the next ten promised.

Makes me kinda sick. Sick and sad.

Though the likelihood he spent much more time here would have been minimized had he stayed healthy, for sure.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Thanks for reading and posting, coz. Much appreciated. Truly think the guy's stardom and potential greatness gets put to the side when you look at those four years and what the next ten promised.

Though the likelihood he spent much more time here would have been minimized had he stayed healthy, for sure.

I read a piece last week that was talking about a player (can't remember whom, I'm thinking BJ Upton) and how his WAR compared to 6 or 7 other current players. This article said something about those 6-7 others along the lines of being "surefire HOF players" with a disclaimer "aside from Grady Sizemore."

That just made me sad. First for how we, as Indians fans and baseball fans, have been robbed of watching such a great talent for so long. But then I started thinking about how Grady must feel. What would you do if you knew you probably had a very very good chance of being in the Baseball HOF if you had just stayed healthy? That has to be maddening.
cozmeesah

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:46 pm

cozmeesah wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I read a piece last week that was talking about a player (can't remember whom, I'm thinking BJ Upton) and how his WAR compared to 6 or 7 other current players. This article said something about those 6-7 others along the lines of being "surefire HOF players" with a disclaimer "aside from Grady Sizemore."

That just made me sad. First for how we, as Indians fans and baseball fans, have been robbed of watching such a great talent for so long. But then I started thinking about how Grady must feel. What would you do if you knew you probably had a very very good chance of being in the Baseball HOF if you had just stayed healthy? That has to be maddening.

Without a doubt it'd be really difficult to accept. That doesn't even get into the money aspect either. Grady made a total of $5million over his four best seasons ('05 thru '08). He cashed in to a degree for that production by making about $18m from '09 thru this year. That's a total of $23million for his career which is about the going rate per year for a marquee player now.

Obviously $23million sets you up to be quite comfortable if you don't Jack Clark it but he's legitimately lost close to $100m because of his inability to stay healthy.

That's in addition to what has to be the depressing realization that you can't do what you love to do and were born to do. Hopefully he's strong enough to handle that aspect of it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm

I will never buy another Cleveland athlete's jersey again...
Spin

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:Without a doubt it'd be really difficult to accept. That doesn't even get into the money aspect either. Grady made a total of $5million over his four best seasons ('05 thru '08). He cashed in to a degree for that production by making about $18m from '09 thru this year. That's a total of $23million for his career which is about the going rate per year for a marquee player now.

Obviously $23million sets you up to be quite comfortable if you don't Jack Clark it but he's legitimately lost close to $100m because of his inability to stay healthy.

That's in addition to what has to be the depressing realization that you can't do what you love to do and were born to do. Hopefully he's strong enough to handle that aspect of it.

He seems to have gotten increasingly angry and frustrated as each injury occurred. Even though watching him in interviews is about as exciting as watching paint dry, you can just hear it in his voice and words when he talks about it. He's a pretty laid back guy, but I can't imagine how hard the past few years have been for him in that respect.
cozmeesah

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:47 pm

peeker643 wrote:
cozmeesah wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Without a doubt it'd be really difficult to accept. That doesn't even get into the money aspect either. Grady made a total of $5million over his four best seasons ('05 thru '08). He cashed in to a degree for that production by making about $18m from '09 thru this year. That's a total of $23million for his career which is about the going rate per year for a marquee player now.

That's not even taking into account the cash he'da made outside of salary in a place like NY or LA.

And if he'da been healthy enough to stay on top of his game, he had the marketability that the big ones would throw money at.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Grady is Joe Charbenau Times 1000.

Charbenau went down earlier in his career, but you could just see when he came up all the potential he had. Grady actually got to flash that for a few seasons before it all came crashing down. I think this situation would be even more frustrating because he had it and then he lost it.

I could be wrong.
justmebd

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15 pm

justmebd wrote:I think this situation would be even more frustrating because he had it and then he lost it.

I could be wrong.

I agree. It's one thing to not quite make it to your dream. It's another to make it there then, before you ever really got a chance to enjoy it, it's ripped away from you after you had a taste. Knowing you'll never again get a chance to experience it. Except you actually know what you are missing, as opposed to those who never got there.
cozmeesah

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Spin wrote:I will never buy another Cleveland athlete's jersey again...

I'd wear it with the same pride as a Clay Matthews jersey. Diametrically opposed careers, but the same heart. And that counts.

Nice Peek. I really loved watching him play, and it is depressing that it ended the way it has.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB