Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Late Night Rant from the desk at work...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Late Night Rant from the desk at work...

Unread postby jcoke22 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:23 am

Since this is my first official topic on TCF.com... I want to say Hello to all of the die-hards! But enough of the pleasentries, on to the Browns!

I for one (and I assume some others on here as well) think we are absolutely F'd this year.

Reason 1: Brutal Schedule :gah: - Love the fact that we are going to end up 1-13 on opening weekend! And to boot, we will have to endure the Rocky Theme Song being sung by rude, drunk, NY outcasts all day!

Reason 2: Brutal Division - Let's face it; we can't win more than 1 out of 6 in any one of the last 4 years? Or, even win one at all against those :fu: P.O.S.'s from down 71S, 90E, and a short Southwest flight to the dump of DC.

Reason 3: Bad Coaching/Coaches - This one is still yet to be seen, as I am willing to let it slide (just a tiny bit) because of the small offseason we had last year because of the lock-out, but if we come out like gang busters and go 0 for our first 4 then All Bets are Off, and I will put all blame on the shoulders of Holmgren. We should see improvement, and I dont want to hear about the Rookie QB and RB, and needing to give them time to gel. That is BS... just look at Cincy last year. Rookie QB, Rookie WR and TE, and they were pretty decent and won some ball games with a short offseason.

Reason 4: Ownership - Wants to see the Browns succeed? Really? Then why the hell would you have Shurmur meet the head coach of Aston Villa (who last I check was in last place in England as well) to talk about the winning attitude that they have. I think that made both clubs that much WORSE! Lerner needs to concentrate on winning in one league before trying to sell us on the BS that he "Cares about the Browns winning". Give me a break!

Ok... I am done for now. I look forward to seeing some comments from everyone. Let me know what you think, and please let me know if I seem off base about some topics as well!

Go Browns!
"When did you unlock retarded?", Seasoned BF3 Player to the Noob

Follow me on Twitter (for dumb stuff during the offseason and updates on the Browns in season): http://twitter.com/jcoke22
jcoke22

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Braylon Edwards

Re: Late Night Rant from the desk at work...

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 am

#1 another brutal schedule, will certainly separate the men from the boys in this rookie class.
#2 I keep waiting for Pittsburgh or Baltimore to get old, but the fuckers still dominate.
#3 see #1
#4 That was a headslap moment. As much as it hurts the bottom line when the Browns suck, in BPL if you suck bad enough you find yourself relegated which is a HUGE hit to the bottom line. In Randy's defense, he has no problem spending the money (how many GM's and HC's does he have on payroll?) and we all thought Walrus was the savior when Randy hired him. Now Walrus' coach has the talent, we'll see what he does with it.

But it is going to be another long long season.
Last edited by Spin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 am

You'll have to be more specific when you say we're f'd. If the Browns win 5 games this season does that quLify as f'd? And what does 1-13 by opening weekend mean?

I'm actually optimistic about this season. I'm looking more forward to this season than I have since 2008. It's exciting finally having some pieces in place with the potential to lead us out of our perpetual misery. The schedule and the division are brutal to be sure, and I'm not convinced the potential will necessarily translate to a bunch of wins this year. But I'm hoping it's not as shitty and hopeless of a season as we've gotten used to.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:52 am

motherscratcher wrote:I'm actually optimistic about this season. I'm looking more forward to this season than I have since 2008. It's exciting finally having some pieces in place with the potential to lead us out of our perpetual misery. The schedule and the division are brutal to be sure, and I'm not convinced the potential will necessarily translate to a bunch of wins this year. But I'm hoping it's not as shitty and hopeless of a season as we've gotten used to.

^^^^^ That.

Plus 2 points :

1. We now actually have some talent on "O" which may help rest our "D". There is the potential for us to
actually get out, get a lead, and burn some clock rather than......3 downs...2penalties..and a punt.

2.The building blocks are there. The fatman in the golfcart has awakened and put it on the line. MattVan
nailed it awhile back, this braintrust has hitched its wagon to Weeden. They are on the clock. Playoffs
in 3 years or everyone will be gone.

The Browns were most susceptible to the "lock-out" blow-back and it showed.

Our schedule is downright felonious assault.

Now everyone say a prayer to your God(s) ; Agnostics, Atheists, Pantheists, Libertarians do what you do...
our Brownies will get an ass beating this year...but with a purpose..and with a real chance at building for the future .

#1 priority now should be passrush. :tfh:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:04 pm

1. The assumption that the schedule is brutal based on last year's results is indeed an assumption. Usually schedules average out every year, no matter what we think of them going into the season. Even with that, based on last year's games, which of these teams can the Browns NOT beat:

Colts, Steelers (almost beat them twice last year), Ravens (almost beat them once last year), Bengals (could be argued they SHOULD have beat them twice), Chargers, Bills, Eagles (besides the hype, they were 8-8 last year), Broncos, Redskins (who sucked last year), Chiefs, Raiders (c'mon, the AFC West blows)?

The only 2 games I look at and say they have almost no chance of winning are at Dallas and at NYG (but we know the Browns' record against defending SB champs).

Naturally, they'll probably lose more of those than they win, but they'll win some too. Assuming a 1-13 start puts the "ass" in asinine.

2. Division is tough, but let us not forget that the Bengals are never good 2 years in a row. Still, 1-3 wins there is the most you can hope for.

3. Coaches/Front Office may be a valid concern. Guess we'll see.

4. Ownership does nothing but hire the Front Office, which runs the org. So this concern is the same as #3, not a separate concern.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Now everyone say a prayer to your God(s) ; Agnostics, Atheists, Pantheists, Libertarians do what you do...

I usually drink a beer. I find it more effective than prayer.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Should I get the 1911?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:48 pm

I think he meant 1-13 on opening day. Not starting the season 1-13. I hope..
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 pm

T Rich is gonna give opposing teams fits...which will open up lanes for Weeden. I think the team is much improved, but they have a learning curve. 6-7 wins. Including 2 against the Steelers. The brass keeps their jobs and we contend in 2013.

/the X factor is SHUR. He may be in WAAAAAY over his head. Certainly looked like it last year. A full offseason may help, but without a good coach, all the talent in the world won't help ya.

Ceiling - 9 wins. - miss playoff due to tiebreaker
Floor - 1 win. - SHUR is fired and Walrus takes over as HC
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:1. The assumption that the schedule is brutal based on last year's results is indeed an assumption. Usually schedules average out every year, no matter what we think of them going into the season. Even with that, based on last year's games, which of these teams can the Browns NOT beat:

Colts, Steelers (almost beat them twice last year), Ravens (almost beat them once last year), Bengals (could be argued they SHOULD have beat them twice), Chargers, Bills, Eagles (besides the hype, they were 8-8 last year), Broncos, Redskins (who sucked last year), Chiefs, Raiders (c'mon, the AFC West blows)?

The only 2 games I look at and say they have almost no chance of winning are at Dallas and at NYG (but we know the Browns' record against defending SB champs).

Thanks for putting that into perspective.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:26 pm

jcoke, loved the Jacks by the way. The IHL was the shit, until they tried to be the NHL.

I haven't really followed any of the Cleveland hockey teams since.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 am

Every year I hear the stupid shit about the schedule.

They play the last place schedule every effing year.

Two games are basically randomized otherwise you know the effing schedule a year ahead of time.

And I really wonder if fans in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Green Bay spend more than a minute worrying about the effing schedule.

You know when the schedule will stop being so hard? When they're fucking good and they have more fucking talent than holes.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:51 am

peeker643 wrote:Every year I hear the stupid shit about the schedule.

They play the last place schedule every effing year.

Two games are basically randomized otherwise you know the effing schedule a year ahead of time.

And I really wonder if fans in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England and Green Bay spend more than a minute worrying about the effing schedule.

You know when the schedule will stop being so hard? When they're fucking good and they have more fucking talent than holes.

I like this post a lot.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Should I get the 1911?

You don't already have one?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:03 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

No. I have the Soviet TT-33. Which is a much superior pistol IMO.

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

You would.

Honestly never shot one, but I love the 1911. What makes you like the TT-33 more?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:31 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

You would.

Honestly never shot one, but I love the 1911. What makes you like the TT-33 more?

It's practically indestructible. Fires a bottleneck round that pierces a lot of armor like butter. The Soviets made great weapons.

The 1911 is ok. You can get a classic Colt for about $500 or pay $1,800 for a POS Kimber Arms tacticool model.

I've shot both, and I much prefer the TT. Function over form.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jcoke22 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 am

That_Guy™ wrote:I think he meant 1-13 on opening day. Not starting the season 1-13. I hope..

Yes I meant on Opening Day.

Follow me on Twitter (for dumb stuff during the offseason and updates on the Browns in season): http://twitter.com/jcoke22
jcoke22

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 am

The key to the whole schedule thing is not having about 27 teams better than you every single year.

When you do this, every schedule looks brutal.

An owner that gives a shit, an invested GM, a non- puppet coach - and most importantly, some PLAYAS.

Then you're in position to worry about the GD schedule.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Liondrew » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm tired of hearing it about the schedule too. There are only two games on there that are different from what the other teams in the division are playing, and those are against the teams that finished last in their division the season before.

Of course I can understand the apprehension about the schedule-right now a Pee Wee football team would look intimidating to the Browns.

Tired of the excuses. I want a team on the field that isn't going to get slapped around by Pittsburgh and Baltimore anymore. Nothing else matters to me.
Liondrew

Unread postby jcoke22 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 am

I understand that the schedule doesn't mean crap at this point but we haven't seen them play yet. So we need to find something to complain about. God knows that when the season starts we will have many other things to worry about. My hope is that we just start winning. I dont care if it's ugly or not. Just win some freakin games! And 10-6 doesn't meant shit unless you take a couple in the division. I am sick of going 0-fer against those fucks. Go Browns!

jcoke22

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:17 pm

I'm with MS, more excited about this season than any time I can remember. Legit world class arm on Weeden, and some building blocks on offense to work with. I expect some growing pains and bad routes/decisions, but last year the Browns were competitive in 14/16 games. They just couldn't get over the hump....and I expect them to a few times this year. Still looking at 5-6 wins, but should be much more entertaining games.

Basically Jcoke, we agree with you. Everything you just said has been put down ad naseum on these boards.....but until the fake season starts, it's all just conjecture. I can't wait for July 28th to start getting the reports out of camp, so I can make a shitload of false conjectures.

Schedule is pretty much what I expected; half of the teams outside the conference will likely suck, half of them will be good. The division will be tough. Same thing as every year.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL