Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:01 pm

If Holmy stays.

Negative, yes. I must think positive thoughts.

At least there is a constant in the ownership.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby ShadowDawg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:25 pm

Adios Carlton Mitchell. :pop:
ShadowDawg

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 pm

ShadowDawg wrote:Adios Carlton Mitchell. :pop:

Its a damn shame his talent could not match the quality of his tweets. :salute:
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I saw this in a comments section following an article about this draft pick and chuckled:
So in 2-3 years, Gordon will be ready to start. And Weeden will be ready to retire. Way to go, Browns!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:39 am

So what are we looking at;

1/2 - Little and Flash
3 (slot) - Norwood
4 - Mass/Cribbs
5 - Undrafted kid from Ok St. and Weeden's buddy. So he's likely to make squad./ or 4th round track star who ran 4.2?

Maybe one of the #5 guys play the slot. Cribbs is on the team as the backup WR but essential ST player regardless.

/I like this potential. Key word...potential.

Do we keep 7? Really 6 since Cribbs is hybrid guy?

They're gonna have to cut down on the # of LB's they carry regardless. May as well cull a TE, with the flex you get with Smelly.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 am

bookelly wrote:So what are we looking at;

1/2 - Little and Flash
3 (slot) - Norwood
4 - Mass/Cribbs
5 - Undrafted kid from Ok St. and Weeden's buddy. So he's likely to make squad./ or 4th round track star who ran 4.2?

Maybe one of the #5 guys play the slot. Cribbs is on the team as the backup WR but essential ST player regardless.

/I like this potential. Key word...potential.

Do we keep 7? Really 6 since Cribbs is hybrid guy?

They're gonna have to cut down on the # of LB's they carry regardless. May as well cull a TE, with the flex you get with Smelly.

Travis Benjamin probably makes it - doubt H&H waive a guy they just drafted.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:17 pm

OldDawg wrote:I saw this in a comments section following an article about this draft pick and chuckled:
So in 2-3 years, Gordon will be ready to start. And Weeden will be ready to retire. Way to go, Browns!

Oh, those cutsie little posters. 28 year old Weeden is too old to play!

And yet giving 33 year old Drew Brees a record 5 year contract was a good thing.

And what was that deal that 36 year old Peyton Manning just got?

Give me 6 good years Weed and I'll be fine.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby comish » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:31 pm

OldDawg wrote:I saw this in a comments section following an article about this draft pick and chuckled:

I know this isn't directly your opinion, BUT

I don't think it takes Gordon three years or even two in order to contribute. If Gordon puts up Little numbers from last year (60+ receps and 700+ yards) and Little holds steady or even progresses, you are looking at two receivers at those stat lines or better which compared to other offenses in the league is no longer at unwatchable levels.

It seems that most feel he is more polished than Little coming in....let's hope for the same results minus all the maddening drops.

Very excited to see this youthful product hit the field
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Gordon will start this year. Maybe not the first or second game, but he will eventually start. And he will contribute.

Can't see MoMass or Cribbs being more productive than Gordon over the course of a season. It's a matter of talent, fellas. I can think of hundreds of rookies who contributed at once--because they were simply more talented than the rummies they were replacing.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

And yet giving 33 year old Drew Brees a record 5 year contract was a good thing.

If Weeds is still the starting QB when he hits 36 , he will be the most successful Browns QB since Bernie.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Govbarney wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

If Weeds is still the starting QB when he hits 36 , he will be the most successful Browns QB since Bernie.

Hell, give me solid QB play/Matt Schaub until he's 34 and I'll love the guy. That's just how barren the QB landscape has been since... forever.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bac5665 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm

If Weeds is still the starting QB when he's 30, he'll be the most successful Browns QB since Bernie.

Let's see if he can't meet a higher bar than that.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:35 pm

comish wrote:

I know this isn't directly your opinion, BUT

I don't think it takes Gordon three years or even two in order to contribute. If Gordon puts up Little numbers from last year (60+ receps and 700+ yards) and Little holds steady or even progresses, you are looking at two receivers at those stat lines or better which compared to other offenses in the league is no longer at unwatchable levels.

It seems that most feel he is more polished than Little coming in....let's hope for the same results minus all the maddening drops.

Very excited to see this youthful product hit the field

No, it was not my opinion. I just thought it was a funny comment. I'm on board with Gordon. But seemingly, most of the non-Browns fans out there seemed to think we made another stretch taking him with a #2. Heck, those guys don't know how bad our receiving crew is! The majority of the folks in the comments section of this article spent a bunch of time saying that nobody any good ever comes out of the supplemental draft.

I just have a feeling this Gordon kid is going to bust out and be a solid receiver for us. Or maybe the heat is just getting to me. And how many good receivers in the NFL lately don't have their "issues?" It seems like being.... quirky ... is a pre-requisite for being a good receiver.

Here is the link to the article and the comments section below it.
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... ref=fromSI
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:16 pm

OldDawg wrote:....The majority of the folks in the comments section of this article spent a bunch of time saying that nobody any good ever comes out of the supplemental draft.

Chris Carter was a WR taken in the 4th round of the Suplimental Draft , he turned out to be rather serviceable, no matter what those hack hall of fame voters say...
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:58 pm

OldDawg wrote:But seemingly, most of the non-Browns fans out there seemed to think we made another stretch taking him with a #2. Heck, those guys don't know how bad our receiving crew is! The majority of the folks in the comments section of this article spent a bunch of time saying that nobody any good ever comes out of the supplemental draft.

The majority of non-Browns fans don't know the first thing about the Browns or their needs since no one outside of Browns fans gives two shit about the Browns or watches any of their games.

And not without good reason.

They just assume that because the Browns did it, it must be the wrong thing because "the Browns suck" and "the city of Cleveland sucks" and "LeBron took his talents to South Beach" and "the whole state should just burn like the Cuyahoga".

You'll see some objective analysts out there, but a lot of them are lazy and simply assume what was true last year will be true this year. Some just like to pile on since woe is marketable and creates discussion.

And with Cleveland's record in all sports, figuring that their teams will bust is a safe and easy bet. Even we do it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:09 pm

jerryroche wrote:Gordon will start this year. Maybe not the first or second game, but he will eventually start. And he will contribute.

Can't see MoMass or Cribbs being more productive than Gordon over the course of a season. It's a matter of talent, fellas. I can think of hundreds of rookies who contributed at once--because they were simply more talented than the rummies they were replacing.

Nope. I agree.

Someone name me one area where MoMass stands out.

His speed? No.
Size? No.
Hands. They're okay.
Toughness and tenacity? No. He gets a concussion whenever a window closes and his life outside the hash marks is now likely over too. He's not quick enough to be that slot midget.
He's just a guy. Maybe one day you look back and his career was as good as a Chancey Stuckey but he ain't even close to that right now.

You better hope this 2nd round kid is waaay beyond 2nd round MoMass or we're all still looking for that WR.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jerryroche wrote:Gordon will start this year. Maybe not the first or second game, but he will eventually start. And he will contribute.

Nope. I agree.

Someone name me one area where MoMass stands out.

His speed? No.
Size? No.
Hands. They're okay.
Toughness and tenacity? No. He gets a concussion whenever a window closes and his life outside the hash marks is now likely over too. He's not quick enough to be that slot midget.
He's just a guy. Maybe one day you look back and his career was as good as a Chancey Stuckey but he ain't even close to that right now.

You better hope this 2nd round kid is waaay beyond 2nd round MoMass or we're all still looking for that WR.

Muslim/French sounding name.

That's where he stands out out.

The Browns suck goat balls.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby rk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:18 am

1/2 - Little and Flash
3 (slot) - Norwood
4 - Mass/Cribbs

It would be helpful to your credibility if you knew the names of people on the Browns.

Little/Gordon and Benjamin/Norwood are in and paired. It's silly to try to pin them into positions since all moved around last year. Cribbs will be in with a reduced role but will still be on the team and can play all positions while Benjamin/Norwood can back him up in ST. Cooper is almost certainly headed to the practice squad as it will be highly unlikely that anyone claims him barring a huge preseason.

That leaves the final spot between Mass and Mitchell. Money should be on Massaquoi who as other's note is essentially an average receiver but a known performer.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:06 pm

rk wrote:

1/2 - Little and Flash
3 (slot) - Norwood
4 - Mass/Cribbs

It would be helpful to your credibility if you knew the names of people on the Browns.

Little/Gordon and Benjamin/Norwood are in and paired. It's silly to try to pin them into positions since all moved around last year. Cribbs will be in with a reduced role but will still be on the team and can play all positions while Benjamin/Norwood can back him up in ST. Cooper is almost certainly headed to the practice squad as it will be highly unlikely that anyone claims him barring a huge preseason.

That leaves the final spot between Mass and Mitchell. Money should be on Massaquoi who as other's note is essentially an average receiver but a known performer.

Solid analysis. If Mitchell can show ANYTHING during the PS, then he might be the surprise keep since Mo has had concussion issues.

Let's hear it for that 2009 draft! :clap:
Hikohadon

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 pm

Don't think these links have been posted in this thread, but I didn't see them. Give this guy points for being thorough...a fairly detailed analysis of Gordon, and how he looks as a fit for the Browns...complete with some not very good quality video clips.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/07/05/wr ... -football/

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/07/13/th ... cleveland/

As others have said, I appreciate the urgency shown by the front office...(as with the selection of a 28-year old QB) Assuming a WR corps of Little, Gordon, Benjamin...(soon, if not immediately)...this completes the makeover of the offense to all Heckert picks...(save Pro-Bowlers Mack and Thomas)

Still crying needs at safety and OLB in my opinion, but the complete transformation of offensive personnel in just a couple of years is very encouraging to me. Shurmur's development (if this is even something to be hoped for?) is the biggest key to progress in 2012.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby rk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

danwismar wrote:Shurmur's development (if this is even something to be hoped for?) is the biggest key to progress in 2012.

Shurmer was fine last year as a HC. Kept the team focused throughout the year on the field. Made a handful of mistakes on gameday (bad timeoutes, personel changes) that could be attributed to acting as a dual responsibilities coach. He failed miserably as an OC and was unable to successfully implement anything but the most vanilla scheme in the NFL.

Chilly replaced him as OC and has enough of a portfolio of work with an offense that we should consider that a big improvement. Not to mention he has experience working an offense centered around a versatile, game changing RB.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Damn, guys...

You actually woke up a bit of optimism in me there.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:36 pm

danwismar wrote: but the complete transformation of offensive personnel in just a couple of years is very encouraging to me.

And every year this is were they get me. They pick up a couple of yutes that look good on highlight reels, and I get that Brown and Orange boner.

And by mid-October I'm left unsatisfied and uninterested. Fuck 'em until they prove otherwise.

Paper dragons.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
danwismar wrote: but the complete transformation of offensive personnel in just a couple of years is very encouraging to me.

And every year this is were they get me. They pick up a couple of yutes that look good on highlight reels, and I get that Brown and Orange boner.

And by mid-October I'm left unsatisfied and uninterested. Fuck 'em until they prove otherwise.

Paper dragons.

You should really get some ointment for that.

Agree with the second half. On paper, they made the right moves (mostly). But there were people last year that thought Colt McCoy would be good too. And most thought Peyton Hillis would be much better than he was. Have to wait and see if the changes bring results before getting excited.
Hikohadon

Unread postby snuffy1384 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 am

I think Josh will be a great asset to our team. If he can stay out of trouble and focus on getting better, we will have a very good receiver and a steal in the draft. Here are my thoughts on the subject at www.brownietheelf.com
snuffy1384

Favorite Player: Richardson
Least Favorite Player: Sheldon Brown

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 am

snuffy1384 wrote:I think Josh will be a great asset to our team. If he can stay out of trouble and focus on getting better, we will have a very good receiver and a steal in the draft. Here are my thoughts on the subject at http://www.brownietheelf.com

OK, here's where I invite you to go fuck yourself with your shitty blog. Go away.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:31 am

motherscratcher wrote:
snuffy1384 wrote:http://www.brownietheelf.com

OK, here's where I invite you to go fuck yourself with your shitty blog. Go away.

Hey I like his blog, there was a banner ad that promised a threesome with 2 really hot girls.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Had a discussion about this whole WR thing this weekend with family/friends and we came to this consensus:

The Bad:
1. If Gordon doesn't work out, it's not like we haven't thrown away a second-round pick on a WR before.

2. If this season does not work out, not having a second-round pick next year will be a problem for the next front office not this one.

The Good:
1. Gordon has as much ability to realize his potential as any other WR with his background. You don't know until you know.
2. It's not like Gordon is going to push somebody more worthy out of a job.

Random thoughts from the conversation:
1. We have zero confidence in Pat Shurmur. We hope to be proven wrong, but don't expect to be.
2. Weeden looks big enough to take a cheap shot from James Harrisson and get back up, an ability severely lacking in too many other areas of the offense.
3. MoMass doesn't make the final roster cut. I just don't see it happening.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:33 pm

justmebd wrote:Had a discussion about this whole WR thing this weekend with family/friends and we came to this consensus:

The Bad:
1. If Gordon doesn't work out, it's not like we haven't thrown away a second-round pick on a WR before.

2. If this season does not work out, not having a second-round pick next year will be a problem for the next front office not this one.

The Good:
1. Gordon has as much ability to realize his potential as any other WR with his background. You don't know until you know.

Random thoughts from the conversation:
1. We have zero confidence in Pat Shurmur. We hope to be proven wrong, but don't expect to be.
2. Weeden looks big enough to take a cheap shot from James Harrisson and get back up, an ability severely lacking in too many other areas of the offense.
3. MoMass doesn't make the final roster cut. I just don't see it happening.

My family/friends concur almost entirely.

With reference to 2nd round picks, the Browns took Robiskie with the 4th pick of the 2nd round. This kid Gordon has way more upside than him, IMO.

Can't really predict on MoMass on the roster, tho.
OldDawg

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:40 am

I'll take the over on MoMass; no way he doesn't make the roster over Mitchell or Cooper. He'll get replaced by Gordon in a hurry though if he doesnt produce.

Little, Gordon, Norwood, Cribbs, Benjamin, Momass.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm

rk wrote:
danwismar wrote:Shurmur's development (if this is even something to be hoped for?) is the biggest key to progress in 2012.

Shurmer was fine last year as a HC. Kept the team focused throughout the year on the field. Made a handful of mistakes on gameday (bad timeoutes, personel changes) that could be attributed to acting as a dual responsibilities coach. He failed miserably as an OC and was unable to successfully implement anything but the most vanilla scheme in the NFL.

Chilly replaced him as OC and has enough of a portfolio of work with an offense that we should consider that a big improvement. Not to mention he has experience working an offense centered around a versatile, game changing RB.

Not to mention Paddy inherited the perfect storm last year. No transition OTA's, short camp, shitty roster and new systems for a rookie HC.

Let's give him a year.

Having said that, I wonder what we could do had they made the logical and correct choice and hired John Fox?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 pm

justmebd wrote:Had a discussion about this whole WR thing this weekend with family/friends and we came to this consensus:

The Bad:

The Good:

Can I add that Flash and Little would seem to compliment each other perfectly? Gordan looks like he will live off of the Edwards' Route (TM) and Little should feast underneith and YAC like a long haired cat.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:15 pm

jb wrote:Having said that, I wonder what we could do had they made the logical and correct choice and hired John Fox?

Still wish Gruden would have come back home instead of SHUR.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Triple-S wrote:
jb wrote:Having said that, I wonder what we could do had they made the logical and correct choice and hired John Fox?

Still wish Gruden would have come back home instead of SHUR.

Is there an emoticon for throwing up?

I want Gruden as coach like I want the clap.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

You could pretty much post a whole list of names for me, and each and everyone of them sounds more appealing to me than SHUR at this moment.

"Hey, Jim Tressel, his offense wouldn't be so bad for the pros"
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm

I keep hearing this defense of Shurmur: Short camp, no OTAs, inheriting poor talent, blah, blah, blah -- I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

Harbaugh faced the exact same conditions as Shurmur, and his team looked MUCH better. Yes, their division sucked, but Shurmur just looked like he was in over his head while Harbaugh always looked completely in control. While Shurmur got that Brian Daboll* look on his face one too many times for my liking on the sideline, Harbaugh looked like he already knew what was going to happen.

Most importantly, Shurmur failed to notice his starting QB got decapitated by James Harrison. The head coach of the team should be aware of things like this, just sayin'

*Brian Daboll Face: That pained, constipated look Brian Daboll got when his 15th attempt at running Metcalf up the Middle on 3rd and 21 once again failed to produce results.

Sidenote: 20 years later and I still had to watch the Browns run Metcalf up the Middle plays. I'd be in bars watching the game and hear the Yinzers yell "Metcalf up the Middle" as whatever RB we had would pointlessly crash into the line and promptly lose five yards.
justmebd

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 pm

justmebd wrote:I keep hearing this defense of Shurmur: Short camp, no OTAs, inheriting poor talent, blah, blah, blah -- I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

Harbaugh faced the exact same conditions as Shurmur, and his team looked MUCH better. Yes, their division sucked, but Shurmur just looked like he was in over his head while Harbaugh always looked completely in control. While Shurmur got that Brian Daboll* look on his face one too many times for my liking on the sideline, Harbaugh looked like he already knew what was going to happen.

Most importantly, Shurmur failed to notice his starting QB got decapitated by James Harrison. The head coach of the team should be aware of things like this, just sayin'

*Brian Daboll Face: That pained, constipated look Brian Daboll got when his 15th attempt at running Metcalf up the Middle on 3rd and 21 once again failed to produce results.

Sidenote: 20 years later and I still had to watch the Browns run Metcalf up the Middle plays. I'd be in bars watching the game and hear the Yinzers yell "Metcalf up the Middle" as whatever RB we had would pointlessly crash into the line and promptly lose five yards.

Dude's in an asylum somewhere in a straightjacket yelling, "it has to work... they'll be expecting him to run outside... it just has to work..."
OldDawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

Wasn't Daboll in middle school when Eric Metcalf was running up the middle? In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the guys running Eric Metcalf up the middle is arguably the best coach in the history of the NFL.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:26 am

motherscratcher wrote:Wasn't Daboll in middle school when Eric Metcalf was running up the middle? In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the guys running Eric Metcalf up the middle is arguably the best coach in the history of the NFL.

That doesn't mean running Metcalf up the Middle was smart. In fact, it was fucking stupid, and a big reason why Hoodie can go fuck himself.
justmebd

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:44 am

justmebd wrote:I keep hearing this defense of Shurmur: Short camp, no OTAs, inheriting poor talent, blah, blah, blah -- I. Don't. Give. A. Shit.

Harbaugh faced the exact same conditions as Shurmur, and his team looked MUCH better.

I'm sorry. I thought you knew NFL football.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:47 am

justmebd wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Wasn't Daboll in middle school when Eric Metcalf was running up the middle? In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the guys running Eric Metcalf up the middle is arguably the best coach in the history of the NFL.

That doesn't mean running Metcalf up the Middle was smart. In fact, it was fucking stupid, and a big reason why Hoodie can go fuck himself.

The problem wasn't MUM. Any NFL RB HAS to be able to run between the 2 & 3 holes or he can't play the position. Period. The problem was he thought he was a GD RB when he was a receiver.

Much like anyone thinking an effective QB in 2012 can cede both deep out portions of the field and operate in a 30 yard triangle, thinking you could ever have a RB who couldn't run inside the 2 & 3 holes since Walter F'n Camp is prima facia fantasy. Don't blame game day BB. Blame personnell BB & that retard Lombardi.
jb

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm

jb wrote:

Harbaugh faced the exact same conditions as Shurmur, and his team looked MUCH better.

I'm sorry. I thought you knew NFL football.

Good one. My point is, using the "no offseason" excuse for last year is just COMPLETE bullshit to me. I'm not saying it didn't hurt, I'm saying Harbaugh also had no offseason and still managed to take a shit team in a shit division and make something digestable out of it.

I'm at the point where if the Browns don't cause me to vomit my wings and beer back up on Sunday, I call that a victory.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. That was my fault.
justmebd

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:07 pm

BD, if I were betting with Pod's uncles gwop I'd a put it on you coaching the 9ers over Harbaugh coaching the Browns last season.

Shit team my white ass. 9ers loaded with talent compared to 2011 browns.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:15 pm

jb wrote:Shit team my white ass. 9ers loaded with talent compared to 2011 browns.

26 first round picks on that team at one point last season.

Yes, some were like ex-Buckeye Ted Ginn, who failed elsewhere, but they had ridiculous amounts of talent on that team and a guy that used it properly.

49ers and Browns are barely same sport much less comparable situations for a perspective coach.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:32 pm

jb wrote:BD, if I were betting with Pod's uncles gwop I'd a put it on you coaching the 9ers over Harbaugh coaching the Browns last season.

Not arguing that point, but they're not the 2007 Patriots. At the end of the day, this coaching staff blows, I guess I should have just said that and been done with it.

Over/under on wins for me is 4.5, and I'm taking the under -- including the preseason. We have more talent but Shurmur will remain Shurmur. I would love to eat that last sentence.
justmebd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:48 pm

justmebd wrote:
jb wrote:BD, if I were betting with Pod's uncles gwop I'd a put it on you coaching the 9ers over Harbaugh coaching the Browns last season.

Not arguing that point, but they're not the 2007 Patriots. At the end of the day, this coaching staff blows, I guess I should have just said that and been done with it.

Over/under on wins for me is 4.5, and I'm taking the under -- including the preseason. We have more talent but Shurmur will remain Shurmur. I would love to eat that last sentence.

I hope you do. I hope it was just "rookie coach jitters" or some such shit. The alternative (likelihood) is too damn depressing to consider. He HAS to improve as a coach because I'm not sure I could survive another change.

And, as we all know, it is all about me.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 pm

justmebd wrote:

Metcalf was a receiver playing RB and I was never thrilled watching him pinball up the middle & stone face in the hoody can go fuck himself but I checked out Metcalf's #'s and was surprised to find :

91***** 3.6 yds/carry
92***** 4.1
93***** 4.7
94***** 3.5
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:23 am

pod2dawg wrote:
justmebd wrote:

Metcalf was a receiver playing RB and I was never thrilled watching him pinball up the middle & stone face in the hoody can go fuck himself but I checked out Metcalf's #'s and was surprised to find :

91***** 3.6 yds/carry
92***** 4.1
93***** 4.7
94***** 3.5

Wow!! Never would have thought that.
justmebd

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 am

justmebd wrote:

The other problem with comping Harbaugh and Shur is the fact that was the first time for Shur to be the HMFIC at any level. Harbaugh at least has the experience of being a successful head coach in his memory bank. He isn't going to be thrown off by anything through that short off season because he knows his routine and enough on his staff knew his routine. That was all garbage a 1st timer has to deal with on top of the implementation of an entire offensive system.

I ain't saying Shur is good. I just won't say he is bad because Jim Harbaugh was good.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 am

motherscratcher wrote:
justmebd wrote:

I hope you do. I hope it was just "rookie coach jitters" or some such shit. The alternative (likelihood) is too damn depressing to consider. He HAS to improve as a coach because I'm not sure I could survive another change.

And, as we all know, it is all about me.

I apologize, I had forgotten what this was all about. :salute:

I'm now hoping Lars Delusional prediction of 11 wins makes him a prophet and the rest of us just happy followers.
justmebd

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL