Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Albert Belle Swing Footage?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Albert Belle Swing Footage?

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Anyone know of any DVD's of tribe season's that has some good footage of Albert Belle's swing? Been digging around the Inter-tubes, and there really isn't much out there which surprises me. Wondering if anyone here knows of a good season recap DVD or something where I can see some more swings. I think I have about 6 gifs total and some are so small (cuts out pitcher in view etc.).
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Re: Albert Belle Swing Footage?

Unread postby pup » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 pm

Best guess would be wahoo what a finish, the recap of the 95 season. If that doesn't have a shit ton of Belle I don't know what would.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 pm

I got on ebay and searched '1995 Cleveland Indians DVD,' and it came up with two things; the ALCS and the World Series. It looks like they're complete game footage of all the games in the series.... that would be fun to watch.
And it's funny you asked because I tried to use the exact same stance as ole Albert every single time I went to the plate, and it worked out pretty good for me.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Swinging at a ball or a fan?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 pm

leadpipe wrote:Swinging at a ball or a fan?

Ball, fan, girlfriend, trick or treaters, etc.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 am

Nice Lead!!!

Yea I was thinking of having one of the kids experiment with his setup, but damned if I can find clips. Recent hitters are easy you can just snag what you like of off m-l-b.com. Anyone who quit playing before say 2004 it's tough going. I'll poke around on E-bay, and look into the Wahoo what a finish.

My kid likes to stride to open kind of like Belle and Magglio, and he likes to get down into the leg a bit. Yesterday in the cage he was experimenting with keeping the bat vertical behind him while reading the pitch and he was just killing it, and I figured Belle would be the swing closest to that.
Here are a couple:

Image Image
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:28 am

Had forgotten just how low his hands started out. And just how menacing the guy was.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Also remember him stepping in for his first at bat of the night and immediately disposing of the back line of the batter's box. Guy got back as far as anyone I ever saw.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:26 pm

That man is a ball player.

Get off the tracks when the train is coming through
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:26 pm

^ best part of that video is not one other Brewer appears in view of the camera. They knew.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm

watching that gif, Belle pulls his arms in and the ball still jomps off his bat
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

When I was up in Cleveland in '07, I bought a red dvd box that contained every dvd from every c'ship season and also '94 and '00. Plenty of Belle in those.

Neal Heaton has the biggest set of balls in the world. He intentionally threw at Belle twice back in '92. He admitted after the game that he did. He actually dodged a huge Belle left hook at the mound, too. Same night, Dennis Cook gets thrown down by Royals bench coach Lee May.

Aside from that, you never f*cked with Belle or Big Hurt. That was a rule. Throw at Junior or even Big Mac. NOT those two. And who for those Brewers would have even had a chance? Jeff Juden? :lmfao:
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:53 am

Where these are lacking (I have a couple others) is that you don't see the pitcher as to how he timed his movements, so I am finally back from the 11 day baseball trip, I'll start checking tomorrow.

A couple other gifs I have if you aren't already aware you can download these and if you open in Quicktime you can use the arrow keys to go back and forth frame by frame. The one on the right is pretty cool because it shows the powerful position he is in at launch time. Front hip kind of cleared, shoulders still in, back hip still loaded. By loaded I just mean even though the foot is getting down the weight didn't shift until the swing starts. I haven't looked at spray charts but I seem to recall he hit quite a HRs and Doubles oppo but since I was living away in Texas at the time I didn't get to see nightly, was that the case? Just a sweet ass swing, maybe not to Manny's perfection but damn close.

Image Image
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 am

Funny in that Belle's swing is a lot Belle himself: violence that's just being controlled and utilized for a common good. Most of the time.

Belle was far more Center to Left hitter. Occasionally he'd hit a ball out to right up the alley in RCF but mostly center and left. Ramirez consistently went opposite way and the thermometer for how hot Thome was at any given time was whether he was driving the ball to LF.

Jeez...think back on those three today and...wow. Ridiculously prodigious a productive Hall of Fame-caliber hitters.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am

dmiles wrote:Nice Lead!!!

Yea I was thinking of having one of the kids experiment with his setup, but damned if I can find clips. Recent hitters are easy you can just snag what you like of off m-l-b.com. Anyone who quit playing before say 2004 it's tough going. I'll poke around on E-bay, and look into the Wahoo what a finish.

My kid likes to stride to open kind of like Belle and Magglio, and he likes to get down into the leg a bit. Yesterday in the cage he was experimenting with keeping the bat vertical behind him while reading the pitch and he was just killing it, and I figured Belle would be the swing closest to that.
Here are a couple:

Image Image

His stance and swing are a spot on match for Paste on NJ in the original Bases Loaded for Nintendo.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:41 am

peeker643 wrote:Funny in that Belle's swing is a lot Belle himself: violence that's just being controlled and utilized for a common good. Most of the time.

Belle was far more Center to Left hitter. Occasionally he'd hit a ball out to right up the alley in RCF but mostly center and left. Ramirez consistently went opposite way and the thermometer for how hot Thome was at any given time was whether he was driving the ball to LF.

Jeez...think back on those three today and...wow. Ridiculously prodigious a productive Hall of Fame-caliber hitters.

Check out the 1995 lineup and cry a little, just to remind yourselves how much offense that team had. It was truly a lineup pitchers had to hate to face.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/1995.shtml
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 pm

I always liked when a guy got a day off, just to see the disparity in talent. It would be eight guys who could hit 30 home runs and start the all-star game, along with Wayne Kirby or Alvaro Espinoza.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:24 pm

leadpipe wrote:Also remember him stepping in for his first at bat of the night and immediately disposing of the back line of the batter's box. Guy got back as far as anyone I ever saw.

That left side view clip from above that shows where he's standing. Holy shit; his front foot is about 6-8 inches behind the tip of the plate, I've never seen anything like that before.
LakeErieWarriors

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB