Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Baylor/Utah WR Josh Gordon

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 pm

pup wrote:I liken it to the Indians trade for Ubaldo. Risk? Shit ya. But after years of complaining about doing nothing, it is going to be hard to kill them for doing something.
+1, I was about to make that point. There's a clear cut hole (which they denied until now btw) and they made a move to fill it. Props.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby General » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm glad the Super Bowl is in New Orleans. Now I can just drive there. Sorry for the jaded outlook fellas.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Is there any scouting reports out there that aren't just generalities (big, strong, fast, etc)? How are his route running skills? His hands?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:53 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
pup wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Schefter just tweeted that the Browns were the only team to put in a 2nd round bid, meaning they coulda had him in the 3rd. Typical Browns draft!

And had they used a 3rd and someone took him in the 2nd...the reaction would be?

Pissed. Doesn't take away from the humor that the Browns once again took a guy a round higher than anyone else.

Whose to say that the team in front of them don't take him in the 3rd? I like the pick.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Is there any scouting reports out there that aren't just generalities (big, strong, fast, etc)? How are his route running skills? His hands?

Hands are decent but he needs to improve his routes.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Considering his past troubles, this pic is awesome.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:58 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
pup wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Schefter just tweeted that the Browns were the only team to put in a 2nd round bid, meaning they coulda had him in the 3rd. Typical Browns draft!

And had they used a 3rd and someone took him in the 2nd...the reaction would be?

Pissed. Doesn't take away from the humor that the Browns once again took a guy a round higher than anyone else.

Lesson learned from the RG3 blind auction.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:02 pm

We've got plenty of shiny new toys on offense. Browns game unders might not have as much value now. Can't wait to see how the market adjusts.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:LULZ AT OVERPAYING FRONT OFFICE

You're going into Year 3 as the HMFIC. You've won a total of 9 games in the first 2. If you don't show improvement there may not be a Year 4. So you absolutely need to get a QB, even if you have to take him too early. You need to take away all of the "but it's not his fault he has no weapons" argument so you have to give away some picks to move up 2 spots in the draft for an RB and then you also need to overpay for a WR.

And this is not a criticism, merely an observation. It just is what it is. Browns football 2012.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm

mattvan1 wrote:You're going into Year 3 as the HMFIC. You've won a total of 9 games in the first 2. If you don't show improvement there may not be a Year 4. So you absolutely need to get a QB, even if you have to take him too early. You need to take away all of the "but it's not his fault he has no weapons" argument so you have to give away some picks to move up 2 spots in the draft for an RB and then you also need to overpay for a WR.

Hubie? Hubie Brown? Is that you?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:08 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

You're going into Year 3 as the HMFIC. You've won a total of 9 games in the first 2. If you don't show improvement there may not be a Year 4. So you absolutely need to get a QB, even if you have to take him too early. You need to take away all of the "but it's not his fault he has no weapons" argument so you have to give away some picks to move up 2 spots in the draft for an RB and then you also need to overpay for a WR.

And this is not a criticism, merely an observation. It just is what it is. Browns football 2012.

I think it would be safe to argue that the Browns might have overpaid on all 3 of those picks and still argue that it was the right move to make.

Whether it works out, who knows. But if they're right about these guys, overpaying a little bit will be forgotten pretty damn quickly.

At least it looks like Holmgren is finally awake.
Hikohadon

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Screw people who complain about this pick. People (myself included) bitched for years about how they don't take changes and need to. Now they do and those people still bitch. Good for the FO for making things happen.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

I think it would be safe to argue that the Browns might have overpaid on all 3 of those picks and still argue that it was the right move to make.

Whether it works out, who knows. But if they're right about these guys, overpaying a little bit will be forgotten pretty damn quickly.

At least it looks like Holmgren is finally awake.

Very much agree - at this point the Browns really don't have much of a choice. Wonder what Walrus regrets the most - not axing Mangini on Day 1, instead of Day 366, or counting on one of either Jake, Seneca, or Colt to be The Man?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm

andrew6586 wrote:Screw people who complain about this pick. People (myself included) bitched for years about how they don't take changes and need to. Now they do and those people still bitch. Good for the FO for making things happen.

The only person I see complaining about this pick is E0, and he would complain about whatever the Browns did b/c that's his thing.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:20 pm

This kid is supposedly bigger, stronger, and faster then Kendall Wright, who the Browns where going to take in the 1st round if he was still on the board.

I think risking a two was well worth it. This kid has a ton of upside, more so then Brian Robiskie, and Mohamed Massaquoi ever had, and we wasted two second rounders on them.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Very much agree - at this point the Browns really don't have much of a choice. Wonder what Walrus regrets the most - not axing Mangini on Day 1, instead of Day 366, or counting on one of either Jake, Seneca, or Colt to be The Man?

Tough one. Both of those moves sucked something fierce.

I think keeping Mangini was still the bigger mistake. It's like getting married to a girl you know you're just gonna turn around and divorce.
Hikohadon

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm

This opens us up to do so much in the first round of next. We may have gone with WR and defense in the second. Now we can get a DE or LB in the top ten (I can't imagine winning much more than 5 with our schedule). We need defense badly now. It looks like our offense is set for a some time as log as we fill in one or two more holes (TE and probably right guard).
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I am not gonna complain that we might have had him in the 3rd round. I was afraid we would lose him if we went third round. I thought there would be a good team, who will likely be drafting late in round two who would take a chance on him. We are a better team today than we were yesterday. Our biggest need has FINALLY received some attention. My biggest complaint after the 2012 draft was that we didn't draft a receiver high in the draft. I suddenly have some optimism. Very guarded optimism, but optimism and excitement.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Is there any scouting reports out there that aren't just generalities (big, strong, fast, etc)? How are his route running skills? His hands?

6'4" 225lbs, 4.4 speed and didn't drop a ball running the entire route tree Tuesday after tweaking his quad (while running a 4.45).

There was talk he was strictly a 7s and 9s guy and only valuable outside the hashes but after Tuesday scouts adjusted that and upgraded his route running ability.

Scored a 24 on the wonderlic, purported to be bright and willing to work, if not a bit immature.

Tough to find a lot of youtbube/video on the kid given two years off and one season of playing but the worst that happens is H&H die with the pick and Gordon's ashes are piled on top of guys like Robiskie and Massaquoi as well Quincy Morgan, et al.

Just my opinion.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

andrew6586 wrote:This opens us up to do so much in the first round of next. We may have gone with WR and defense in the second. Now we can get a DE or LB in the top ten (I can't imagine winning much more than 5 with our schedule). We need defense badly now. It looks like our offense is set for a some time as log as we fill in one or two more holes (TE and probably right guard).

Pass Rusher. LB... DE... someone to attack the QB.

Even if all the new players pan out, I still think the lack of a consistent 2nd pass rusher (outside of Sheard) keeps the Browns from being truly dangerous.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Also, I saw various twitter entries that said Miami and Washington each put in 2nd round bids for Gordon.

Not sure if thats the case or not but does he get by Buffalo with the 1st supp pick in the 3rd round. Are Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham and David Nelson so good the Bills wouldn't have put in a 3rd?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:43 pm

peeker643 wrote:Also, I saw various twitter entries that said Miami and Washington each put in 2nd round bids for Gordon.

Not sure if thats the case or not but does he get by Buffalo with the 1st supp pick in the 3rd round. Are Stevie Johnson, TJ Graham and David Nelson so good the Bills wouldn't have put in a 3rd?

Hmmmmm... if Washington did put in a 2nd, it just makes the giant Fuck You to them even better.
Hikohadon

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:This opens us up to do so much in the first round of next. We may have gone with WR and defense in the second. Now we can get a DE or LB in the top ten (I can't imagine winning much more than 5 with our schedule). We need defense badly now. It looks like our offense is set for a some time as log as we fill in one or two more holes (TE and probably right guard).

Even if all the new players pan out, I still think the lack of a consistent 2nd pass rusher (outside of Sheard) keeps the Browns from being truly dangerous.

Yup. We need defense badly.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Govbarney wrote:This kid is supposedly bigger, stronger, and faster then Kendall Wright, who the Browns where going to take in the 1st round if he was still on the board.

You forgot "higher".
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:56 pm

jb wrote:
Govbarney wrote:This kid is supposedly bigger, stronger, and faster then Kendall Wright, who the Browns where going to take in the 1st round if he was still on the board.

You forgot "higher".

Gonna have to watch that for sure but do you think NFL would field two teams or three if every weed smoker was removed? ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:56 pm

andrew6586 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Yup. We need defense badly.

Pass Rushing DE/LB, 2nd Corner, Other Starting DE/LB... get that and if all the high picks (Richardson, Weeden, Schwartz, Gordon) pan out, that team could do some damage (and not just to its fan base).
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

That plus a back 7 game changing play maker.

Honey Badger is my early focus & we'll suck badly enough due to schedule, inexperience, and thin depth to have him in our sites. Next Polamaulu.

Pass rusher and Matthieu plus experience will make 2013 our year to step forward.

Doing it right like built to last the Pirates and not the Sham Indians.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

You forgot "higher".

Gonna have to watch that for sure but do you think NFL would field two teams or three if every weed smoker was removed? ;-) ;) :wink:

I think they could still manage 32 6-man rosters.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

You forgot "higher".

I think they could still manage 32 6-man rosters.

Or 4 20-man rosters.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby rk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:23 pm

jb wrote:You forgot "higher".

Boo. I fully expected you to bring out the 'with the track record the Browns have using 2nd round picks on WRs how can they not go wrong?' take.

You are slipping.

Also I liked this. We needed a RT/WR/QB/RB in the first 2 rounds this year. We got 3. Now we just got the 4th.

I am very much in favor of this. And I do not give a categorical shit whether they drafted him a round early. They liked this guy and the got him. And we know they scouted the crap out of him when he played. Somebody was watching Phil Taylor,.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Baylor vs. KSU 2010

http://www.telly.com/J1Q6D?fromtwitvid=1

Impressive.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:25 pm

I like this move.

Our offense is now so full of potential upside that I'm getting excited as hell.

A lot, a lot, a lot can still go wrong. But I think either way we win. Either a questionable staff gets booted or we finally see progress. Shurmer looked awful last year, but I'll give him a full offseason and training camp to see what he can do. Consistency in and of itself does wonders.

And if all 4 of our main offensive draft picks pans out... Well, that will be fun to watch.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm

pup wrote:Ballsy. But I like it. Obvious need. High upside. With a good season, you could see this guy being a top 37 pick in 2013 pretty easily. And you get a "free" year to develop him in your offense.

^^^^^^^^^ That. We got our second round pick a year early. Weeden, Richardson, & Gordon=Stephen Hill , I'll take it.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Click on the Tony Grossi podcast from today... not sure what to think of that.

http://www.espncleveland.com/page.php?page_id=125
Hikohadon

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 pm

rk wrote:

Boo. I fully expected you to bring out the 'with the track record the Browns have using 2nd round picks on WRs how can they not go wrong?' take.

You are slipping.

Also I liked this. We needed a RT/WR/QB/RB in the first 2 rounds this year. We got 3. Now we just got the 4th.

I am very much in favor of this. And I do not give a categorical shit whether they drafted him a round early. They liked this guy and the got him. And we know they scouted the crap out of him when he played. Somebody was watching Phil Taylor,.

As the resident stoner (hey man it's Cali and I'm a fucking musician) I think you have me confused. (smoke)

However, my take is a curiosity as to how the "lottery" panned out. Obviously we won, but was there a release of the order?

I like the pick. Of course I would've liked it at #3...but we now know that wasn't going to work.

Is running good routes a teachable thing? It seems the only knock on the guy.

Cousin who's a Bengal fan (yeah...he's one of the 4 Bengal fans) texted me he thought it was a terrific pick-up by the Browns. A potential T.O. - his words...not mine. I like the comparison because I'm pretty sure this guy is gonna carry major baggage.

To get arrested for weed you kinda have to be a fucking moron. How many people do you know who smoke pot? A lot. How many of them get arrested for it? None. Methinks this guy was flaunting it in a very public place...which makes him an idiot.

/However...I'm all for 2nd chances. Especially if you're on MY team. And truth is...you don't take a IQ test when you run a corner route.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm

bookelly wrote:
rk wrote:

You are slipping.

As the resident stoner (hey man it's Cali and I'm a fucking musician) I think you have me confused. (smoke)

However, my take is a curiosity as to how the "lottery" panned out. Obviously we won, but was there a release of the order?

I like the pick. Of course I would've liked it at #3...but we now know that wasn't going to work.

Is running good routes a teachable thing? It seems the only knock on the guy.

Cousin who's a Bengal fan (yeah...he's one of the 4 Bengal fans) texted me he thought it was a terrific pick-up by the Browns. A potential T.O. - his words...not mine. I like the comparison because I'm pretty sure this guy is gonna carry major baggage.

To get arrested for weed you kinda have to be a fucking moron. How many people do you know who smoke pot? A lot. How many of them get arrested for it? None. Methinks this guy was flaunting it in a very public place...which makes him an idiot.

/However...I'm all for 2nd chances. Especially if you're on MY team. And truth is...you don't take a IQ test when you run a corner route.

Actually, he scored pretty high on the Wunderlic (24). Maybe he thought he was too smart.

As for the order, I know Buffalo was 1, Cleveland was 2. I think Miami was 4 and Washington was 7.

If the Browns had the 1st pick, I think they would've waited until the 3rd. But there was probably a decent chance the Bills would've taken him with the 1st pick of the 3rd, so they paid the piper.
Hikohadon

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Put me in the camp as one that is very much on board with this move.

Not fully bought in as Gordon being a #1 and savior because the body of work is not there yet but I like the "risk".
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Apparently he was caught "falling asleep" at what I can only surmise was a Taco Bell (2am) drive through. Sound to me like he is guilty of being black, not smoking pot.

So he's in Waco...getting blazed...and they drive to Taco Bell and get caught by a red-neck cop getting his fat on in the parking lot.

I'm officially a fan of this kid...no matter what happens. I hope someday he makes a 100 million dollars and buys the Police station down there a statue of his middle finger. :fu: (<--been waiting to use this one)

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm

And......(deep breath)....Why isn't waiting next to a Taco Bell at 2 am for stoners considered entrapment? Damn cop was lazy as fuck all. It's like catching speeders at the bottom of a steep hill. It's just against the rules man...we all know the code. It's the same one as Swerbsblurbs...

"Don't be a dick."

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Been with my buddies before where they'd be passed out, wake as we were ordering. Drop a Grande meal and couple Cheesy 5-layer burritos and be back to sleep before we'd make it home.

Other times watched a buddy cover $60 worth of an order and buy our cabby a handful of tacos for the trouble.

Moral of the story, I ain't saying it's right I'm just saying you ain't a warm-blooded 20-something until you hit up that TB at 3 am and the porcelin with the shits at 9 am...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Getting players that fit and produce > where they are taken.

But they better produce.

I like the pick.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 pm

noles1 wrote:Been with my buddies before where they'd be passed out, wake as we were ordering. Drop a Grande meal and couple Cheesy 5-layer burritos and be back to sleep before we'd make it home.

Other times watched a buddy cover $60 worth of an order and buy our cabby a handful of tacos for the trouble.

Moral of the story, I ain't saying it's right I'm just saying you ain't a warm-blooded 20-something until you hit up that TB at 3 am and the porcelin with the shits at 9 am...

JTA has it right: Kids are gonna make kid mistakes. You don't ignore them, you don't excuse them, you punish them when called for, but you shouldn't define the adult they're going to be by those mistakes.

Hopefully the kid matures into a responsible dude.

Again, not sweeping it under the rug. But the 45 yr old me would take issue with the 18 yr old me for many things too.

When I get bothered is when it becomes an excused pattern of behavior (see- Pryor, Terrelle) and especially one that's not applied equally regardless of school or team/city affiliation.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Gordon is far less a stretch as an early second rounder than TT and DWaiters were as a #4 pick in the 1st round of the NBA draft the past two years. And it addressed a huge need. He's worth the risk.

I also like the fact that we have three key offensive potential building blocks as rookies "growing up" together. Maybe they can develop some solid chemistry together.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 am

googleeph2 wrote:Getting players that fit and produce > where they are taken.

But they better produce.

I like the pick.

This.

If he produces, it doesn't matter. If he doesn't, then...well it's not like we haven't wasted 2nd round picks on WR's before. It'll just be more of the same.

And my guess is, if this kid would have produced at Utah this year we'd be thrilled if we nabbed him with our 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft anyways. We're just getting a jump on his development.

As for the Mary Jane, I'm not concerned.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 am

OldDawg wrote:Gordon is far less a stretch as an early second rounder than TT and DWaiters were as a #4 pick in the 1st round of the NBA draft the past two years.

If this the height to which you set the bar then you might be doing it wrong.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby rk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 am

bookelly wrote:As the resident stoner (hey man it's Cali and I'm a fucking musician) I think you have me confused. (smoke)

There was. The Browns had the 2nd pick behind Beefalo.

However if they were concerned that any team would have taken him in the 2nd round or Buffalo in the 3rd roudn then they had to take him in the second round. Frankly I do not think they were that concerned about Buffalo but more concerned that a team like Baltimore, New England, or Pittsburgh who are typically betting late second round picks would have been willing to pull the trigger.

It's been reported though that no other team made a 2nd round bid. I have not heard what the next bid was though so who knows if the reporting is real. Frankly the Browns had arguably the greatest need in the NFL for a starting receiver so it should not be surprising that they were willing to pay more than anyone else. They also have a brand new (oldish) QB and there is a lot to the idea that QBs and WRs grow in the NFL together.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:02 am

Nice to see evidence that they are thinking it is time to try and go win some football games.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:40 am

100% on board. I think is value is HIGHER as a supplemental draft pick because of the year of development time. Even if he is just a backup to SloMass and Glittle this year, it gives him a whole year to get used to the speed of the NFL game and to learn the playbook.

Rather add that nasty D-lineman or a Megatron/Fitzgerald type receiver next year and focus on their development than add extra rookie WR's. If Gordon pans out to a solid #2, that's a win.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:17 pm

JCoz wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Gordon is far less a stretch as an early second rounder than TT and DWaiters were as a #4 pick in the 1st round of the NBA draft the past two years.

If this the height to which you set the bar then you might be doing it wrong.

Ha ha!!
You are definitely correct there, young man! Correct indeed!
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:it gives him a whole year ... to learn the playbook.

Ha. My first thought to this is, learning the playbook for the Browns has never been that important. We keep firing coaches and putting in new sytems.

But even if we fire Shurmer, Walrus will hire another west coast guy anyways.
OldDawg

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL