Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sandusky

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:43 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:<------- Proud PSU fan who wanted Paterno gone 15 yrs ago

As for the football team, the hatas and the scribes I'll quote Chesty Puller:

"We're surrounded men. That simplifies things"

If u don't get it, you're one lame assed mo fo


Sorry, dude. Waaaaaay too early to separate the on the field team from the institution. Maybe by 2020.



I don't think thats what FMB is saying. He's just saying the reality is there will be fb in Tickle Monster Vally this fall and they will be reckoned with on the field.


Point taken. As long as PSU football is not painted as a team of heroic underdogs who over come a mountain of adversity, blah, blah, blah.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3704
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:46 am

But, they are going to be that.

You've never had to wake up and tell your ten year old what a pedophile is because you lived in Happy Valley and the press was ruining your chances at raising your kid at your own pace? Have you?

Stop. Grouping. Everyone. There. Together.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:54 am

e0y2e3 wrote:But, they are going to be that.

You've never had to wake up and tell your ten year old what a pedophile is because you lived in Happy Valley and the press was ruining your chances at raising your kid at your own pace? Have you?

Stop. Grouping. Everyone. There. Together.


I'm not. Just saying that from my (perhaps narrow and overly shallow) POV I will not be able to seperate the team from the scandal. Unfair? Yes.

As an aside, not sure why/how the press gets the blame for reporting what should have been uncovered a decade ago. Maybe I'm missing the point?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3704
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:58 am

I'm not blaming the press for reporting things (see Wetzel, Dan), I am blaming the other press for taking over a town for a trial during intermissions between Trayvon and the next movie of the week.

I already told you guys bad news for PSU is coming, not much more I can say, but stop being shallow fucks. Stop supporting PSU being the E! Story of the week (HI CASEY, YOU'RE AN OHIAN RIGHT!!! I knew her grandparents guys, they live near JB, we should set up tents on his lawn) and stop fucking with people's families.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:53 am

No one is holding contempt for the players on the field, or the students at the school, this coming fall. Those in positions of power are the ones that are and will be held in contempt. Even if it is the slightest bit unfair (which it probably isn't) that is something they will have to deal with.

Maybe the next time the Nittany Lion won't turn its head the other way.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:57 am

I mean, I'm just glad you all celebrated and cheered when Sandusky was found guilty, because that made the whole situation better!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Justice was served and done, a tribute to the people who made the efforts to do so, and a tribute to our system for getting it right, even though it seems only on occasion. I mean the dude admitted his own guilt FFS. The sad part is those are the situations in life we should be cheering for, not for Dbags in sold out arenas entertaining us.

If you took the posters off your wall you might get all that.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 pm

There is not a single thing worth cheering about this situation, if you were an adult you would get that.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 pm

A proven, known and convicted child molester was taken out of circulation and can no long harm anyone, I will cheer that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Yep, after 60 kids were effected.

And the guy is obviously mentally ill (and in most instances child molesters were almost all molested as children).

And the guy is really, really old and near death now... without ever having been *found* as a sick kid (molested or not, guy is ill) and he has almost certainly left other sick children out there to pray on others.

I'm glad after the fact justice makes you happy. It makes me sick.

And I'm especially glad you all can trot around here and talk shit about a COMMUNITY that now owns having this sick man living amongst them and has to deal with and adapt to it on there own.

Fucking Children
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:35 pm

LOL, nice attempt at guilt diversion retard. Exactly who was responsible for taking action on Sandusky all these years, Ziner in Colorado, Bayou in LA, myself and JB in Ohio or FMB himself in PA?

You don't have to look any further than his kitchen most likely, his street, or outside of 4 miles of his day to day commute.

As to his inner demons and how that all got started, that is the only sad part of the story on his behalf. B/C most likely his behavior was learned, and at some point in his life (probably as a child) he was not the Jerry Sandusky the world knows today. As an adult he had a chance to resolve that situation, but if he was surrounded by enablers and cowards that only made his situation that much more blurry, but it doesn't give him a reprieve on his responsibilities as an adult. Yeah he was sick, but he wasn't born with a special genome in his DNA sick.

The people that finally put this fuck behind bars should have statues made in their images and libraries and streets named after them.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:38 pm

It is really comforting that you own a gun.

I'm glad he is behind bars.

Still nothing to cheer about. This is an AMERICAN TRAGEDY. Nothing more and nothing less. Now go drink your Bud Light, sit in your Dart and fondle your pistal. Childish. White. Trash.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:13 pm

I still come back to this as the best *initial* reaction I saw: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/11/ ... py-valley/
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:17 pm

American tragedy...JFC can you make this any more dramatic.

Your POV would be taken half seriously if you had even a little credibility with this medium, but we're long past that.

This shit happens all too often, every day, just not so often in such a highly visible venue (that we know of). Which is the part you seem to want to ignore. It was covered up by many many people for many many years. This is a human tragedy, just like every other similar case, to which justice is often not swift nor served.

This man admitted guilt and got a fair trial (a very important part of the process) and is now no longer able to solicit his evil demons upon others who are to weak to fend for themselves. He is now behind bars. What he has done to others cannot be undone, what was most likely done to him cannot be undone. Now what is equally as important to justice being served is that the victims can start the chapter of closure in their lives and he can possible get the rehabilitation to in the least allow himself to die while resolving his own personal issues, and if for him that means before God than so be it.

But you can keep trying to make this all about you "getting" what everyone else doesn't.

The last word is all yours.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Most adults get it. You don't.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:58 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You've never had to wake up and tell your ten year old what a pedophile is because you lived in Happy Valley and the press was ruining your chances at raising your kid at your own pace? Have you?


I don't know. I'd probably look over everything I would have taken for granted that was JoePa-related and ask myself some hard questions first.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:04 pm

No doubt. Read the article I linked and talk to some people that love there. This is happening, every day. You have no idea the amount of introspective angst they have.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:02 pm

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:<------- Proud PSU fan who wanted Paterno gone 15 yrs ago

As for the football team, the hatas and the scribes I'll quote Chesty Puller:

"We're surrounded men. That simplifies things"

If u don't get it, you're one lame assed mo fo


Sorry, dude. Waaaaaay too early to separate the on the field team from the institution. Maybe by 2020.



I don't think thats what FMB is saying. He's just saying the reality is there will be fb in Tickle Monster Vally this fall and they will be reckoned with on the field.


This ^^^^^^

They're young, experienced, motivated and have become closer as a result of the scandal

They will be dangerous

In any event, I care not about Jopa's legacy and I hope the connections to him mean we'll see less and less of his entitled, spoon-fed son, Jay
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Wetzel: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--joe-paterno-role-jerry-sandusky-coverup-grows.html;_ylt=Au_rTycbizrao5j_6Z8.8Xk5nYcB

According to Curley's email, Paterno participated more than he ever admitted, including likely talking Curley – and thus the others – out of the plan to turn Sandusky over to authorities.

Take a second for that one to sink in.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:14 pm

FUDU wrote:American tragedy...JFC can you make this any more dramatic.

Your POV would be taken half seriously if you had even a little credibility with this medium, but we're long past that.

This shit happens all too often, every day, just not so often in such a highly visible venue (that we know of). Which is the part you seem to want to ignore. It was covered up by many many people for many many years. This is a human tragedy, just like every other similar case, to which justice is often not swift nor served.

This man admitted guilt and got a fair trial (a very important part of the process) and is now no longer able to solicit his evil demons upon others who are to weak to fend for themselves. He is now behind bars. What he has done to others cannot be undone, what was most likely done to him cannot be undone. Now what is equally as important to justice being served is that the victims can start the chapter of closure in their lives and he can possible get the rehabilitation to in the least allow himself to die while resolving his own personal issues, and if for him that means before God than so be it.

But you can keep trying to make this all about you "getting" what everyone else doesn't.

The last word is all yours.


I have to side with e0...

There are no winners here and there is nothing to cheer about...not even a guilty verdict

The best that can ever be said is 'its about time'....insert perv's name
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm not cheering that he became this person, I'm cheering that he can no longer be that person.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am

jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am

Right now I'm too down with the notion of a death penalty for the football program. IMO they can separate the two issues and if necessary issue some type of penalty to the athletic program that doesn't go overboard in punishing a lot of innocent people (student athletes to be specific).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Most adults get it. You don't.



You may need to qualify "most".

I have no idea WTF your stance is here other than for some reason I can't put my finger on you have some odd emotional tie to State Perv. It is indeed a blessing that Jerry Sandusky, the Nittany Tickle Monster, has met some measure of legal justice even as legal justice never represetnts true recompence or undoing of the human toll in this or any other case of extreme violence or abuse.

Most adults might just see a sociological case study of a stinking cesspool that systematically covered up a monster. Of course this is not directed at EVERYONE in said cesspool so I suppose I may qualify as an "adult" for being able to reason out that distinction.

Only those who mattered and could have stopped him qualify, including Coach "Success with Honor" and that is now documented.

Meinsckeit, loyalty and "I did my job" only go so far in the course of ethical responsibility.

I think most adults get that, to coin a convenient if not arbitrary and meaningless blast.

Now all that is left is the de-Nazification that allowed this to take place for so long and an uprooting of a sick, sick culture.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:40 pm

FUDU wrote:Right now I'm too down with the notion of a death penalty for the football program. IMO they can separate the two issues and if necessary issue some type of penalty to the athletic program that doesn't go overboard in punishing a lot of innocent people (student athletes to be specific).



I may be legalistic but I still can't see it. The analogy of what if this were the hospital and there was a pedophile surgeon protected by his butt buddies in one of the links was a sloid point.

OTOH, I think Emmert is on a mission and this is a career maker as if he's an aspiring DA. I think the interpretation of IC gets stretched and applied beyond letter of law and the program gets nailed.

The real issue is thatthe Commonwealth could be in for a 9 figure hit with civil suits and costs if you believe the rumors of a JS list and many more victims being out there.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:38 pm

I think damages in excess of $100MM are coming, not question about it. In this particular case it is probably warranted. The direct representative of the university, the President, had knowledge of sexual assaults occurring on his campus and he opted to do nothing. He is almost as much to blame as Sandusky for each kid that got touched by Uncle Stinkyfinger Ticklemonster after the 2001 notification (and probably the 1998 notification), and as he is the head of the school and this occurred at the school because of his negligence, the school is ultimately culpable.

PSU is as clear a case of LOIC as I can imagine, as in this particular case the entire institution from the QB coach to the President of the university failed to protect simple human dignity in order to preserve the reputation of the football team and the school. Their priorities were completely fucked, and what really bothers me in this case is that it was such an EASY decision. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone would have a hard time doing the right thing to protect children, if they were crotchety old men who were full of piss and vinegar, then the decision gets harder (still pretty clear cut), but these were CHILDREN.

You know that every time Spanier and the rest of them saw Sandusky anywhere near kids their skin crawled because they knew what he was and what he was doing, but none of them did anything about it for a decade. Hell, they probably didn't even have to see him with kids to throw up in their mouths, just looking at him had to have made them sick, yet still they did nothing. If that is not a fucked up institution, I don't know what is.

The sad fact of the matter is that none of this is really a clear cut NCAA violation, it all has to be contorted a bit in order to make it fit and that just underscores the worthlessness of the NCAA. Selling your own shit for tattoos, clearly against the rules.... Harboring a child molester, granting him access to the facilities for predatory purposes while the school scrambles to cover it up to protect themselves and the program; well that falls into a grey area.

I have confidence the NCAA will manipulate its rules to find a way to levy some type of punishment on the State Penn, unfortunately their rules are so fucking stupid that the NCAA will have to stretch to do so and that is the problem. I am not rooting for PSU to get some ridiculous penalties ala SMU, I am rooting for PSU to refind its priorities and remember that football is a game. I think the reasonable PSU fans, alumni and supporters have come to this conclusion, so I could care less what the NCAA does.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm

I know that statute of limitations has come up in the past regarding this mess and how "old" it is. Here is some knowledge for you guys straight from the NCAA's own webpage:

Statute of Limitations 32.6.3:

Allegations included in a notice of allegations shall be limited to possible violations occurring not earlier than four years before the date the notice of inquiry is provided to the institution or the date the institution notifies (or, if earlier, should have notified) the enforcement staff of its inquiries into the matter. However, the following shall not be subject to the four-year limitation:

(a) Allegations involving violations affecting the eligibility of a current student-athlete;

(b) Allegations in a case in which information is developed to indicate a pattern of willful violations on the part of the institution or individual involved, which began before but continued into the four-year period; and

(c) Allegations that indicate a blatant disregard for the Association's fundamental recruiting, extra-benefit, academic or ethical-conduct regulations or that involve an effort to conceal the occurrence of the violation. In such cases, the enforcement staff shall have a one-year period after the date information concerning the matter becomes available to the NCAA to investigate and submit to the institution a notice of allegations concerning the matter.


(b) may apply. (c) certainly does. The coverup of the PSU staff member (TickleMonster Sandusky) continued well into last year and that rule can certainly be twisted any which way you want to ass rape PSU.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Will emails from Penn State VP of Student Affairs about Paterno trigger NCAA?

Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... igger-ncaa
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:49 pm

These leaks and what will be in the Thursday report is what I was referring to earlier. Had the report release off by a day, but the info is thus far spot on.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 am

So, Paterno's a piece of shit. Not surprising.

Nobody at Penn State is coming out of this clean.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:43 am

The state of Pennsylvania is going to go bankrupt paying off Civil Suits.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:16 am

Death penalty for the entire Penn State Athletic program is appropriate. Allow transfers by Penn State athletes to other schools.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:25 am

CP wrote:Death penalty for the entire Penn State Athletic program is appropriate. Allow transfers by Penn State athletes to other schools.


This.

I'd say that current players should be allowed to transfer and play right away. Schools could add up to 2/3 PSU players this season without having to take anyone else's scholly away. Or something to that effect.

Yeah, this is bad. But we've known that for a while.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:30 am

CP wrote:Death penalty for the entire Penn State Athletic program is appropriate. Allow transfers by Penn State athletes to other schools.


I also read that the Department of Education could decide not to offer federal student aid to Penn State.

I doubt it happens, since punishing the students who had nothing to do with this seems unfair, but it's apparently possible.

There is corruption everywhere in NCAA athletics, but outside of a couple singular instances (like the Baylor murder), this is beyond anything we have ever and probably will ever see. NCAA has to make a statement. But, I think they'll let the criminal/civil aspects play out first.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 am

When SMU received the Death Penalty they allowed the players to transfer w/ out having to sit out a year, I would have to imagine that if it comes to that, they would give the same option to PSU players. I think the Death Penalty for the Football program might be in order, but I don't think the rest of the sports should have to suffer.

If I where Jim Delaney I would seriously consider exploring expelling PSU from the B1G.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 am

skatingtripods wrote:NCAA has to make a statement. But, I think they'll let the criminal/civil aspects play out first.


That could be years and years. Especially if any victims are still minors as the statute of limitations wouldn't even begin to run on civil cases until the minor turns 18. The minors would probably want to act before then to get their piece of financial pie but NCAA can't wait 3-15 years or so to hand down punishments. They need to be proactive with whatever penalties are handed down.

Especially with jury already finding Sandusky guilty and this report condemning the current or recently deposed leadership.

But I agree this report really isn't unexpected or 'news'. What it does do is give people and the media another opportunity to be disgusted.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 am

Govbarney wrote:When SMU received the Death Penalty they allowed the players to transfer w/ out having to sit out a year, I would have to imagine that if it comes to that, they would give the same option to PSU players. I think the Death Penalty for the Football program might be in order, but I don't think the rest of the sports should have to suffer.

If I where Jim Delaney I would seriously consider exploring expelling PSU from the B1G.


Turning the other way went past Paterno and the football program for the financial benefit of Penn State as a whole. The entire athletic department received a benefit to their decision to cover this up. All of it should get the death penalty without exception.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

peeker643 wrote:...NCAA can't wait 3-15 years or so to hand down punishments. They need to be proactive with whatever penalties are handed down...


The next time the NCAA is 'proactive' and 'expedient' will be the first time. The Vatican is less reactionary.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 am

CP wrote:
Govbarney wrote:When SMU received the Death Penalty they allowed the players to transfer w/ out having to sit out a year, I would have to imagine that if it comes to that, they would give the same option to PSU players. I think the Death Penalty for the Football program might be in order, but I don't think the rest of the sports should have to suffer.

If I where Jim Delaney I would seriously consider exploring expelling PSU from the B1G.


Turning the other way went past Paterno and the football program for the financial benefit of Penn State as a whole. The entire athletic department received a benefit to their decision to cover this up. All of it should get the death penalty without exception.


I understand what your saying , I just think it would suck for the Archery, Woman's Field hockey, Rowing Athletes who really had nothing to do with this , make no money for the university , and would have a tougher time transferring then a football player would.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

I do not think that Penn State should get the death penalty.

For this thing, you have to find the individuals responsible and punish them. And unless I'm missing something, no one who had anything to do with Sandusky is still there. So punishing Penn State is exactly like firing all of Enron's employees after the top executives all retired with golden parachutes.

The 4 executives involved, including Paterno if he were still alive, should be in prison. The archery athletes and the football players had absolutely nothing to do with it and should not be punished for the crimes of another.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:29 am

Govbarney wrote:I understand what your saying , I just think it would suck for the Archery, Woman's Field hockey, Rowing Athletes who really had nothing to do with this , make no money for the university , and would have a tougher time transferring then a football player would.


Them's the breaks. The ones who are Olympic hopefuls will be able to transfer. They can play intermurals on those sports if they can't transfer. The others who want to play collegiate athletics have a decision to make. I'm sure other state schools in PA could accomodate them.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am

bac5665 wrote:I do not think that Penn State should get the death penalty.

For this thing, you have to find the individuals responsible and punish them. And unless I'm missing something, no one who had anything to do with Sandusky is still there. So punishing Penn State is exactly like firing all of Enron's employees after the top executives all retired with golden parachutes.

The 4 executives involved, including Paterno if he were still alive, should be in prison. The archery athletes and the football players had absolutely nothing to do with it and should not be punished for the crimes of another.


By the time every one of these schools is punished to this significant of a degree, there are never any of the involved who are still there. Ohio State has a postseason ban this year and all of the perpetrators are gone. None of the SMU players were there after the death penalty was imposed. USC got punished after Pete Carroll left.

School can't get out of a punishment by firing everyone in charge when it was the school who put them in charge in the first place.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:39 am

Govbarney wrote:
peeker643 wrote:...NCAA can't wait 3-15 years or so to hand down punishments. They need to be proactive with whatever penalties are handed down...


The next time the NCAA is 'proactive' and 'expedient' will be the first time. The Vatican is less reactionary.


Relative term. Point being they can't wait for all the civil cases to resolve before moving on the punishment, if there is any.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22756
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:41 am

And while I agree with you that such timing problems have not stopped the NCAA in the past, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

And there often are still some that are still there. OSU had key officials still there, not least of which was Gene Smith. I bet SMU and USC did too.

That said, Pete Carroll should be held accountable. Like with so many issues, the NCAA and the NFL need to team up and enforce penalties for each other. Pete Carroll should never have been allowed to be hired and Reggie Bush should have been fined by the NFL.

These guys are going to jail and they are going to lose every penny they own to civil trial. Stepping in and punishing the student athletes who joined Penn State 14 years after JoPa committed his special crime, well, that's just stupid and cruel, for no benefit.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby CP » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

See, I disagree. Schools are always feeling the pressure to protect those at the top of the chain, particularly when those figures are nationally prominent and bring donors and money to the school just by their very presence. They only take action when forced to do so because the risk/reward slants too far in favor of covering it up for as long as possible.

Punishing the institution by taking away the money has the side effect of punishing student-athletes, but the institution still needs punished. Perhaps knowing that your programs will receive the death penalty if you allow this type of behavior to continue might prevent the next college president from looking the other way.

Just punishing the individuals insures that those in charge will just be smarter about throwing those beneath them under the bus. Protecting themselves and the institution is always their paramount concern. If, in the future, that means flipping on a prized asset like Joe Paterno (or Jerry Sandusky), then I would much rather have the potential tortfeasor on notice that he'll be turned in (and not protected) when he crosses the line.
User avatar
CP
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Stow, Ohio
Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:49 am

bac5665 wrote:And while I agree with you that such timing problems have not stopped the NCAA in the past, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

And there often are still some that are still there. OSU had key officials still there, not least of which was Gene Smith. I bet SMU and USC did too.

That said, Pete Carroll should be held accountable. Like with so many issues, the NCAA and the NFL need to team up and enforce penalties for each other. Pete Carroll should never have been allowed to be hired and Reggie Bush should have been fined by the NFL.

These guys are going to jail and they are going to lose every penny they own to civil trial. Stepping in and punishing the student athletes who joined Penn State 14 years after JoPa committed his special crime, well, that's just stupid and cruel, for no benefit.


The NFL suspended Pryor last year for a NCAA infraction. I think that was a message to NCAA athletes and Coaches, that what Pete Carroll did will no longer be acceptable and go without punishment.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:20 pm

There is nothing gained from killing the program, besides making a tragedy even worse.

You tear down Joe Pa entirely.

You build a memorial outside of the stadium.

You put a new (real) compliance system in place.

You build a gawd damn memorial outside of the stadium.

And they vacate every Win since 1998.

Punishing an entire town and community for sins that didn't involve the football field is the wrong move.

This investigation didn't turn up a single thing about a single person with the school now.

I don't understand this "bad things happened, let's make them worse!!!!" reaction. Fuckin eh, this is a community that just found out it's hero and the man that built it sold his soul to satan. Pissing on their corpses isn't good for anything and anyone.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Govbarney wrote:
bac5665 wrote:And while I agree with you that such timing problems have not stopped the NCAA in the past, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

And there often are still some that are still there. OSU had key officials still there, not least of which was Gene Smith. I bet SMU and USC did too.

That said, Pete Carroll should be held accountable. Like with so many issues, the NCAA and the NFL need to team up and enforce penalties for each other. Pete Carroll should never have been allowed to be hired and Reggie Bush should have been fined by the NFL.

These guys are going to jail and they are going to lose every penny they own to civil trial. Stepping in and punishing the student athletes who joined Penn State 14 years after JoPa committed his special crime, well, that's just stupid and cruel, for no benefit.


The NFL suspended Pryor last year for a NCAA infraction. I think that was a message to NCAA athletes and Coaches, that what Pete Carroll did will no longer be acceptable and go without punishment.


And Tressel didn't get punished until a national uproar.
Goodell is a fucking joke that picks and chooses his punishments. He had an excuse he could use with Pryor, when he doesn't he needs people like JT to man up and offer themselves to his feet.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Govbarney wrote:
peeker643 wrote:...NCAA can't wait 3-15 years or so to hand down punishments. They need to be proactive with whatever penalties are handed down...


The next time the NCAA is 'proactive' and 'expedient' will be the first time. The Vatican is less reactionary.


To be fair, the work is done for them this time. This report is 99% of what they need.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 pm

CP wrote:
Govbarney wrote:When SMU received the Death Penalty they allowed the players to transfer w/ out having to sit out a year, I would have to imagine that if it comes to that, they would give the same option to PSU players. I think the Death Penalty for the Football program might be in order, but I don't think the rest of the sports should have to suffer.

If I where Jim Delaney I would seriously consider exploring expelling PSU from the B1G.


Turning the other way went past Paterno and the football program for the financial benefit of Penn State as a whole. The entire athletic department received a benefit to their decision to cover this up. All of it should get the death penalty without exception.


Awesome, kill an American Institution becaues 5 men staged a cover-up. All the town is guilty of is revering the man and trust, that is dead.

Fucking eh.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: ybot and 2 guests