Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Ted

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Ted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 pm

So, who has seen it? Everybody keeps telling me that it's hilarious and worth seeing. I'm not sure if I should just wait for the DVD.

Anybody with thoughts?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Ted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm

I've heard really good things, but a lot of that comes from big Seth McFarlane fans.

I think i'm gonna go see it this weekend.

And maybe The Amazing Spider-Man too. That's supposed to be good from what i've heard.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:And maybe The Amazing Spider-Man too. That's supposed to be good from what i've heard.

Believe I read somebody say that Amazing Spider-Man will do for Spiderman what The Dark Knight did for Batman.

Seems like quite an endorsement. I had never even seen a Batman movie before seeing The Dark Knight and thought it was excellent.

Re: MacFarlane, I used to love Family Guy until he got really political with it during the Bush presidency. Not that I can't take jokes about it, but it got old after while. I think he just ran out of shit to write about. It got really repetitive.

I like Mark Wahlberg, so I'm curious to see how he does in Ted.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm

If you like your humor straight from the bathroom plumbing, "Ted" is for you. From what I hear, typical Seth McFarlane that plumbs the darkest depths of the human anatomy and throws in an obscenity every other word. On the other hand, there's an actual human story going on, apart from the shitty antics of Ted, thanks to Marky Mark and Mila Kunis.

"The Amazing Spiderman" is an excellent movie, better than any of its predecessors. Andrew Garfield beats Tobey Maguire, and Emma Stone as Gwen way, way outclasses Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. (If you're seeing it, though, opt for the 2-D version and save some money. Believe it or not, the 3-D just ain't worth it.)
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 pm

jerryroche wrote:If you like your humor straight from the bathroom plumbing, "Ted" is for you. From what I hear, typical Seth McFarlane that plumbs the darkest depths of the human anatomy and throws in an obscenity every other word. On the other hand, there's an actual human story going on, apart from the shitty antics of Ted, thanks to Marky Mark and Mila Kunis.

"The Amazing Spiderman" is an excellent movie, better than any of its predecessors. Andrew Garfield beats Tobey Maguire, and Emma Stone as Gwen way, way outclasses Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane. (If you're seeing it, though, opt for the 2-D version and save some money. Believe it or not, the 3-D just ain't worth it.)

Some of the movies that are converted to 3-D after shooting just look bad.

The comparison to TDK is interesting. I like Spider-Man, but I've never been a big Batman fan. Comics or the recent films. I liked Tim Burton's first two the best. Michael Keaton was a great Batman, not nearly as stiff as Bale.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby cozmeesah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:14 am

jerryroche wrote:If you like your humor straight from the bathroom plumbing, "Ted" is for you. From what I hear, typical Seth McFarlane that plumbs the darkest depths of the human anatomy and throws in an obscenity every other word. On the other hand, there's an actual human story going on, apart from the shitty antics of Ted, thanks to Marky Mark and Mila Kunis.

Ted was HILARIOUS. I like Family Guy, but really haven't watched a new episode in a few years & don't watch his other shows. So I'm not a "big" MacFarlane fan.

There's a good bit of bathroom humor but it's really not that bad. Not a curse word every other line either. Those statements are exaggerations. It's no worse in those departments as Hangover or Bridesmaids. Not even as bad, I don't think.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:28 am

TED was great, so far my second favorite movie of the Summer behind Moonrise Kingdom, and definitely the funniest movie I have seen since Ceder Rapids ( which I contest is a underrated comedy ).
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:22 am

Govbarney wrote:definitely the funniest movie I have seen since Ceder Rapids ( which I contest is a underrated comedy ).

I got 15 minutes into Cedar Rapids and I wanted to smash myself over the head with an elephant.

Couldn't stand it.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Govbarney wrote:definitely the funniest movie I have seen since Ceder Rapids ( which I contest is a underrated comedy ).

I got 15 minutes into Cedar Rapids and I wanted to smash myself over the head with an elephant.

Couldn't stand it.

You should have waited it out, starts slow, but gets really funny as it goes along.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Govbarney wrote:You should have waited it out, starts slow, but gets really funny as it goes along.

Last movie I waited it out on was The Informant.

I shouldn't have.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Govbarney wrote:You should have waited it out, starts slow, but gets really funny as it goes along.

Last movie I waited it out on was The Informant.

I shouldn't have.

Yea I can't argue with that foible. What a piece of horse shit.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:37 pm

I should make movies. I have tons of great ideas. But i'm not a rich Hollywood know-it-all liberal asshole. I'm just a regular know-it-all liberal asshole.

How awesome would it be to see a movie totally cast in tarantulas? Friggin badass, right?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I should make movies. I have tons of great ideas. But i'm not a rich Hollywood know-it-all liberal asshole. I'm just a regular know-it-all liberal asshole.

How awesome would it be to see a movie totally cast in tarantulas? Friggin badass, right?

'Arachnophobia' almost ruined John Goodman, and Jeff Daniels careers.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I should make movies. I have tons of great ideas. But i'm not a rich Hollywood know-it-all liberal asshole. I'm just a regular know-it-all liberal asshole.

Idiot, you're wardrobe budget would be through the roof, what with 8 legs per cast member and all.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

i saw this movie (not by choice but it was playing when we could fit a movie in) and i think it is very vulgar without exagerration. lots of drug humor too and really what is funny about being a stoner, underachiever? i will admit it is somewhat funny in parts, but i honestly cannot believe a movie like this even got made. How the heck they got legit actors to do it is amazing.

a movie about a teddy bear that is alive and grows up with a grown man and inhibits his relationships? there were times that i was embarrassed i was watching it and asking myself how does this get made. that is not a good thing to be pondering while watching a movie. if the teddy bear was replaced with a goofy, bad influence buddy it might have not been so "cringe worthy" to me. i suppose some of the stuff would not have worked as well if it was not a teddy bear??

my guess is that most on this board will find it funny but i was torn between laughing and wondering what the hell is wrong with the world we live in. i hope that doesn't sound condescending. I prefer a more intelligent level of humor. fart jokes don't do it for me and the potty humor was just too over the top for my tastes.

we saw it at a matinee and it was $7/ticket. how much is a 3D flick at night $15? i am too consistently disappointed to waste my $$ on a movie that has a low percentage of a chance to entertain me.

yes, i realize what i sound like and i am not happy i am now that person...
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Heb, if you don't know what is funny about being a stoner you need to smoke more weed. ;-) ;) :wink:

Stoner movies have been around for decades and some pretty great actors have been in them. In not sure what surprises you about actors signing up for this particular one. Obviously there is an audience. This movie is killing it at the box office.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Seth Mcfarlan sucks.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hebner20 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Heb, if you don't know what is funny about being a stoner you need to smoke more weed. ;-) ;) :wink:

Stoner movies have been around for decades and some pretty great actors have been in them. In not sure what surprises you about actors signing up for this particular one. Obviously there is an audience. This movie is killing it at the box office.

I agree the audience is there for this type of movie but that doesn't make it good. Facebook and light beer are wildly popular too but i don't partake in either.

I acknowledge i am in the minority on this. :cheers:
hebner20

Unread postby cozmeesah » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 pm

hebner20 wrote:and i think it is very vulgar without exagerration. lots of drug humor too

They smoke weed like 3 times and there's a post cocaine (meaning they don't show them doing it) scene. How is that 'lots'? And yes, it is exaggeration. Ted has a few (albeit VERY) vulgar jokes, but it's hardly all throughout it. Same with the fart jokes. There's like two. Sure, there are F-bombs thrown out here and there, but it's no Tarantino movie in that department.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 pm

hebner, are you an engineer?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:44 pm

It was an episode of Family Guy. Some funny lines, decent obscure references, and underwhelming overall.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:48 am

I consider any scene with weed smoking the same as any scene with alcohol consumption.

Almost any stoner/burnout you meet would've been a burnout without the weed too. They just change the name to "drunk".
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I consider any scene with weed smoking the same as any scene with alcohol consumption.

Almost any stoner/burnout you meet would've been a burnout without the weed too. They just change the name to "drunk".

It's funny, I've smoked A LOT OF WEED. I was a daily smoker for years and years. Yet I always did great in school, always had a job, never got into any trouble..... well nothing serious anyway. But every pot smoker gets lumped into the same pile as the moron Cheech & Chong stereotypes. All my smoker friends were the same way, normal people that happened to enjoy the smoke of the cannabis plant as recreation.

CARL EFFIN SAGAN SMOKED POT.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I consider any scene with weed smoking the same as any scene with alcohol consumption.

It's funny, I've smoked A LOT OF WEED. I was a daily smoker for years and years. Yet I always did great in school, always had a job, never got into any trouble..... well nothing serious anyway. But every pot smoker gets lumped into the same pile as the moron Cheech & Chong stereotypes. All my smoker friends were the same way, normal people that happened to enjoy the smoke of the cannabis plant as recreation.

CARL EFFIN SAGAN SMOKED POT.

I've smoked my share too, and I have friends that have smoked it every day for decades and function just fine. Smoking too much is just like drinking too much - it'll take its toll after a while.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:38 pm

That scene near the end is one of the saddest things I've ever seen in a movie.

I hate Family Guy more than anyone but I enjoyed Ted.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh yeah, and chalk me up as one of those high functioning, held down a job (and damn good at it too), daily pot smokers. Stereotypes are bullshit.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Held is past tense, seemingly indicating you are no longer employed and thus comes off as counterintuitive to your point.

Additionally, adding the "damn good one too" in after referencing the past makes it seem like you are selling too hard.

Now, I fully believe you here, just sayin/bein a dick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:52 pm

I bet 90% of the people on these boards have smoked pot at some point.

It's so not a big deal. Smoke a joint, eat some pizza rolls, and watch Adult Swim.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm

I actually didn't smoke much during college so a year or so ago I decided to be a stoner for about three months. It was a solid three months. I've always smoked a couple times a year, but yeah, that three months was nice.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Damn, it's been so fucking long. I suck so much now. I used to be awesome.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 pm

^ denial
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:^ denial

You're right. I'm still awesome.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Held is past tense, seemingly indicating you are no longer employed

*Hold, I'm still gainfully employed and still damn good at it. Dick.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby hebner20 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:22 pm

FUDU wrote:hebner, are you an engineer?

No.
hebner20

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Your "rant" about the movie sure sounded like you are.

:cheers:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Let's all go get high by the Free Stamp.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Seth Mcfarlan sucks.

+ 1
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Let's all go get high by the eerF Stamp.

Fixed that. Fag.

Serious question, can someone enjoy one joint the same way someone can enjoy one beer?

I can't. 1 Joint >>>>>>>>> 1 beer.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture