Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

All Star Week Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

All Star Week Thread

Unread postby andrew6586 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Just thought I would start a thread for everything All -Star related.

My prediction: I am willing to bet that Perez says something that trashes Cleveland once again. Any takers? I will sig bet someone that he says something to trash us again sometime in the next couple of days. Loser has to make his sig whatever the winner wants for one month. The loser also has to post once a day on the forums so that everyone can see it. Any takers?
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
User avatar
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

andrew6586 wrote:Just thought I would start a thread for everything All -Star related.

My prediction: I am willing to bet that Perez says something that trashes Cleveland once again. Any takers? I will sig bet someone that he says something to trash us again sometime in the next couple of days. Loser has to make his sig whatever the winner wants for one month. The loser also has to post once a day on the forums so that everyone can see it. Any takers?


Read on Twitter the other day that the Indians/Perez's agents were sending a PR person with him to KC to deflect any and all questions about attendance and his comments. I'm too lazy to find the Tweet, so you'll have to trust me.


Other ASG-related stuff, I'm glad Kipnis got snubbed. He needs the four days off more than he needs to be dicking around in KC. Cabrera seemed to be showing signs of wearing down a little bit too, coupled with that nagging leg issue. Hopefully, he's able to relax a little bit while there.

The three teams in the Central all came in playing pretty well. Hottest team out of the break might win the division. Better hope it's us.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14352
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby andrew6586 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:Just thought I would start a thread for everything All -Star related.

My prediction: I am willing to bet that Perez says something that trashes Cleveland once again. Any takers? I will sig bet someone that he says something to trash us again sometime in the next couple of days. Loser has to make his sig whatever the winner wants for one month. The loser also has to post once a day on the forums so that everyone can see it. Any takers?


Read on Twitter the other day that the Indians/Perez's agents were sending a PR person with him to KC to deflect any and all questions about attendance and his comments. I'm too lazy to find the Tweet, so you'll have to trust me.


Other ASG-related stuff, I'm glad Kipnis got snubbed. He needs the four days off more than he needs to be dicking around in KC. Cabrera seemed to be showing signs of wearing down a little bit too, coupled with that nagging leg issue. Hopefully, he's able to relax a little bit while there.

The three teams in the Central all came in playing pretty well. Hottest team out of the break might win the division. Better hope it's us.


Thanks for the info. I'm glad the Tribe is doing something to curb his mouth.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
User avatar
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:22 pm

Chris Perez would be lucky if some 19 year old from a free newspaper wanted to talk to him over there.

Not exactly an all-star game "marquis get"
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6643
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

leadpipe wrote:Chris Perez would be lucky if some 19 year old from a free newspaper wanted to talk to him over there.

Not exactly an all-star game "marquis get"


Not marquis, no, but clearly a guy who lacks a censoring mechanism. Those guys probably just hear the usual bullshit company lines from players at the ASG. At least Perez gives you the chance to say something that generates a story.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14352
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:52 pm

I was actually gonna watch the HR derby and then I remembered the Berman is probably gonna announce. I don't think I can handle "BACK BACK BACK ....GONE!!!" 78 times.

Maybe I'll make it a drinking game.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby andrew6586 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

bookelly wrote:I was actually gonna watch the HR derby and then I remembered the Berman is probably gonna announce. I don't think I can handle "BACK BACK BACK ....GONE!!!" 78 times.

Maybe I'll make it a drinking game.

Every time Berman sounds fat you drink a drop of beer. You'll be hammered in minutes.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
User avatar
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:04 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 pm

andrew6586 wrote:
bookelly wrote:I was actually gonna watch the HR derby and then I remembered the Berman is probably gonna announce. I don't think I can handle "BACK BACK BACK ....GONE!!!" 78 times.

Maybe I'll make it a drinking game.

Every time Berman sounds fat you drink a drop of beer. You'll be hammered in minutes.


Every time one of the kids in the outfield gets donked in the head you do a shot of Jager.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 pm

While you're wanting to strangle Berman with a microphone cord, enjoy this:

A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14352
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm

skatingtripods wrote:While you're wanting to strangle Berman with a microphone cord, enjoy this:



Oddly...I like him more now after seeing that. That was funny. Best bit at the end "We need the fucking studio for 15 fucking minutes...and THAT's when everyone has to move around!" Priceless. :clap:

/as a sometimes studio musician you have no idea how many great takes are totally screwed because some asshole leaves his phone on. I actually agree with the tupee'd one here.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:10 am

And as someone who has worked in live theatre (granted teeny, tiny, little community theatre, but there ARE breathing bodies out there>>>) I ask where is his tutu? Dammed prima donna...Image

True Fact: did a two-woman show and I completely lost my place in the script. Fortunately 1) I was playing the part of an elderly grandma who was forgetful and dying and 2) my "granddaughter" somehow got us back so we could finish the scene at the actual, scripted part. Don't know how she did it, but Thank You so much Gwen for savin' my bacon!!!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
User avatar
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 am
Location: In exile in MA :-(
Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:15 am

Yeah I remember seeing that clip years ago. Hilarious. His persona is so nice and jovial(FAT) on TV then he blows up like Christian Bale.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm

HA! Perez gets boo'ed. And laughs.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Very odd that he got booed so badly. Only Cano got that treatment.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1942
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Hmm... Apparently I missed the start and the end of the All Star game in the top of the 1st.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 pm

I shoulda assumed as much because he wears pinstripes, but I had no idea Robinson Cano was such an asshat before this All-Star Break.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 am
Location: Huron, OH
Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Asdrubal had less than no chance against Kimbrel.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14352
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:54 pm

The AL really needs to pull their heads out of their asses and put 9 on the board in their last at-bat, or else the Indians won't have home-field advantage in the World Series.

:dingle:
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby pup » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:I shoulda assumed as much because he wears pinstripes, but I had no idea Robinson Cano was such an asshat before this All-Star Break.


He got booed for taking Mark "Them some fucking bombs" Trumbo over Billy "DAmn nice to be here" Butler in the HR Derby. Not sure that makes Cano any more of an asshat than anyone else that would have picked the Derby field.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:31 am

Adverb Harry wrote:The AL really needs to pull their heads out of their asses and put 9 on the board in their last at-bat, or else the Indians won't have home-field advantage in the World Series.

:dingle:


:lmfao:
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am

pup wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:I shoulda assumed as much because he wears pinstripes, but I had no idea Robinson Cano was such an asshat before this All-Star Break.


He got booed for taking Mark "Them some fucking bombs" Trumbo over Billy "DAmn nice to be here" Butler in the HR Derby. Not sure that makes Cano any more of an asshat than anyone else that would have picked the Derby field.


I was mainly referencing the snub Cano gave Melky Cabrera when he extended his hand for some Dap while rounding the bases after his bomb. Supposedly, the two are buddies, but apparently, only when Cano wants to be (which probably coincides with whether he's winning or not). Not a huge deal, but it amazes me sometimes how athletes are put under a microscope like Cano was with the HR Derby deal, and they continue to do what their ego tells them to.
For more info on this conundrum, see: Perez, Chris
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 am
Location: Huron, OH
Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 am

He should have taken Butler in effing Kansas City.

Or baseball should have taken the decision out of his hands so he wasn't the bad guy.

Give the effing local fans their guy. Mandate that one HR hitter in the derby has to be from the host city team and live with it. The whole Derby is a ridiculously long, drawn out, unwatchable affair anymore anyway.

Butler (or Pup) can get a BP fastball out of the yard and the game was for those people. Let them see their guy.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:16 am

peeker643 wrote:He should have taken Butler in effing Kansas City.

Or baseball should have taken the decision out of his hands so he wasn't the bad guy.

Give the effing local fans their guy. Mandate that one HR hitter in the derby has to be from the host city team and live with it. The whole Derby is a ridiculously long, drawn out, unwatchable affair anymore anyway.

Butler (or Pup) can get a BP fastball out of the yard and the game was for those people. Let them see their guy.


That will be a mandate for the years to come, I'm sure. But yeah you're right. The Griffey, McGwire, Sosa years were so amazing for All-Star baseball. Now I don't even make the attempt to watch the Derby anymore, and that game last night absolutely sucked.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:01 am
Location: Huron, OH
Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:23 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:
peeker643 wrote:He should have taken Butler in effing Kansas City.

Or baseball should have taken the decision out of his hands so he wasn't the bad guy.

Give the effing local fans their guy. Mandate that one HR hitter in the derby has to be from the host city team and live with it. The whole Derby is a ridiculously long, drawn out, unwatchable affair anymore anyway.

Butler (or Pup) can get a BP fastball out of the yard and the game was for those people. Let them see their guy.


That will be a mandate for the years to come, I'm sure. But yeah you're right. The Griffey, McGwire, Sosa years were so amazing for All-Star baseball. Now I don't even make the attempt to watch the Derby anymore, and that game last night absolutely sucked.


I honestly and sincerely did not watch the HR Derby due in large part to Chris Berman's ability to ruin anything with his presence.

HR Derby has lost some luster anyway, but that combined with Berman makes anything else preferred viewing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
HR Derby has lost some luster anyway, but that combined with Berman makes anything else preferred viewing.



Home Run Derby has become a joke. They continuously change the rules, You are always having guys that have absolutely no business being in it, in it. Its a shell of what it once was.

I was pretty much done with it in 1999 when Thome was not put in it after the show he put on in 98 because the rule that year was they took the league leaders in HR's. Then they had the year( Milwaukee) where Thome was leading the league in homers and wasnt invited because he wasn't an all star because they changed the rules again and Tori Freaking Hunter was in.

Their logic with this thing since the early 2000's has been seriously flawed. For Christ sakes Adam Dunn has never even been in one. Half of the guys in this thing since 2000 have no business being in this thing.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:
peeker643 wrote:He should have taken Butler in effing Kansas City.

Or baseball should have taken the decision out of his hands so he wasn't the bad guy.

Give the effing local fans their guy. Mandate that one HR hitter in the derby has to be from the host city team and live with it. The whole Derby is a ridiculously long, drawn out, unwatchable affair anymore anyway.

Butler (or Pup) can get a BP fastball out of the yard and the game was for those people. Let them see their guy.


That will be a mandate for the years to come, I'm sure. But yeah you're right. The Griffey, McGwire, Sosa years were so amazing for All-Star baseball. Now I don't even make the attempt to watch the Derby anymore, and that game last night absolutely sucked.


I honestly and sincerely did not watch the HR Derby due in large part to Chris Berman's ability to ruin anything with his presence.

HR Derby has lost some luster anyway, but that combined with Berman makes anything else preferred viewing.


Yeah, I hate listening to Berman. He's become a total caricurature of his 90s self. I'm not sure what's more annoying...his godawful "backbackbackback" call, or his profound ability to work in a "Big Papi" reference in almost every utterance he makes.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 am

Is it just me, or is this ALL-STAR break not only boring as fuck, but also longer than usual?

I swear someday Selig's scheduling BS is gonna cost us a World Series. Damn thing is already played in bad weather. Try playing in mid-November in Chicago. Good luck.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:24 am

bookelly wrote:Is it just me, or is this ALL-STAR break not only boring as fuck, but also longer than usual?


I was thinking that too, so I went back and checked.

Since 2002, the Indians have started back up on the Thursday in every year except 2008, 2010 & 2012 where they've started on the Friday.

In 2008 (4) and 2010 (7) there were other games played on the Thursday though - this is the first year that no team has played until the Friday.

Too damn long a break without Baseball for my liking.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: All Star Week Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:41 am

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
bookelly wrote:Is it just me, or is this ALL-STAR break not only boring as fuck, but also longer than usual?

this is the first year that no team has played until the Friday.


One of the CBA provisions was a mandatory 4-day break for the ASG. Hence the lack of Thursday games.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14352
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gbot, ybot and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gbot, ybot and 1 guest