Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Potential Indians Trade Targets

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Potential Indians Trade Targets

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:56 pm

White Sox have acquired Youk.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:White Sox have acquired Youk.

I hope he sucks like Alex Rios did in 2009
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Whens the last time the Indians had a lefty starting a game?

Get me Wandy Rodriguez.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

To me, it has NEVER been more clear going into a trade deadline for this team.

Go get a RH batting LF. End of story. Whatever it takes.

To me, you have four starters you can run out there in Masty, Ewwwww-Baldo, Tomlin, and Lowe. Can stop gap the 5th starter spot, which can get skipped a few times if you want. Bring up McAllister.

RH bat. LF. Division blows. Window of opp is now. Can help this lineup every day. Picture being able to hit Brantley in the 6 hole? Go Choo, Droobs, Kip, Lee/Willingham/Quentin, Carlos, Brantley, Chiz/Hafner, Kotchman, Hannahan.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:57 pm

swerb wrote:To me, it has NEVER been more clear going into a trade deadline for this team.

To me, you have four starters you can run out there in Masty, Ewwwww-Baldo, Tomlin, and Lowe. Can stop gap the 5th starter spot, which can get skipped a few times if you want. Bring up McAllister.

RH bat. LF. Division blows. Window of opp is now. Can help this lineup every day. Picture being able to hit Brantley in the 6 hole? Go Choo, Droobs, Kip, Lee/Willingham/Quentin, Carlos, Brantley, Chiz/Hafner, Kotchman, Hannahan.

Completely agree, but what good ammo do we have that isn't named Lindor? Quentin, Lee or Willingham would be awesome but I don't think a package like Phelps, Donald, and McAllister (which I assume would be in range of our best offer) would get it done. We'd have a shot if we agreed to take on all of Lee's salary but...you know. I think we might have to end up ham and egging it with a couple of Fukudome types and hope we get lucky.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm

I think this years trade deadline will be the true test of Indians ownership as to their willingness to spend at a spot where they feel the window is open.

They have a clear, clear need in LF. They can't use the excuse of blocking a yoot, as there is no one in the system even near ready in LF. There are vets out there. From teams looking to dump salary. Division is flawed. I truly believe adding a Willingham/Quentin makes this the best all around team in the division. Org has constantly said the Dolans will support expenditures when the time is right. By all accounts, this team is clearly not losing $. Potentially even operating VERY profitably.

These past couple years, I have supported not spending just to spend. Now is the time to spend a little doh-ray-me and go get a LF. It's that simple. Alex White's ERA is 6.50. Pomz is still in AAA and they're in no hurry to bring him up. Prospects are prospects. Give up a couple and add 5-6mm to the payroll and get r dun. End of story.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:
swerb wrote:To me, it has NEVER been more clear going into a trade deadline for this team.

Completely agree, but what good ammo do we have that isn't named Lindor? Quentin, Lee or Willingham would be awesome but I have to think a package like Phelps, Donald, and McAllister (which I assume would be in range of our best offer) wouldn't get it done. We'd have a shot if we agreed to take on all of Lee or Willingham's salaries but...you know. I think we might have to end up ham and egging it with a couple of Fukudome types and hope we get lucky.

This is the main problem. After Lindor, who is untouchable, the Indians farm system is bad. Terrible even. In fact, most people were saying that the guys drafted after Naquin were going to fill out the top 10 and those guys can't be traded until next year (I think). So that means right now, the only legit prospect(s) the Indians have to offer is Dillon Howard and maybe Jesus Aguilar. And do they want to break up their only legitimate strength (bullpen) to try and help the other facets of the game?

At this point, I'm looking for them to give Canzler a shot at LF.

The pitching is still a problem. They got lucky for the first few months when Lowe/Tomlin were lights out. Now they both are what they are, which is borderline average. Right now, the Indians staff consists of a #1, an Ubaldo Jimenez (who, depending on the day, could be anywhere from a #2-3 to a #5... at AA), and four #5/AAAA pitchers (Lowe, Tomlin, Gomez, McAllister). As bad as the Central is, 1.5 pitchers isn't gonna cut it.

They gotta do something cause this team ain't winning the division.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Chun Chen, Geovanni Soto, maybe a couple others might have a little value, but probably not enough to bring in any big name, impact players. Maybe the TJ Macfarlands of the farm system could net you an average rental player, but again, they aren't getting you much.

But yeah, Dempster, Quentin, Victorino type guys are probably nothing but pipe dreams.

We're probably more in the Ty Wigginton, Kevin Correia aisle of the store.

Tell you what, I wouldn't mind a guy like Matt Belisle to be a third RHP out of the pen. I think he's within our price range. Doesn't solve our biggest issues, but it would build on a relative strength.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Chun Chen, Geovanni Soto, maybe a couple others might have a little value, but probably not enough to bring in any big name, impact players. Maybe the TJ Macfarlands of the farm system could net you an average rental player, but again, they aren't getting you much.

But yeah, Dempster, Quentin, Victorino type guys are probably nothing but pipe dreams.

We're probably more in the Ty Wigginton, Kevin Correia aisle of the store.

Tell you what, I wouldn't mind a guy like Matt Belisle to be a third RHP out of the pen. I think he's within our price range. Doesn't solve our biggest issues, but it would build on a relative strength.

I think we may have to part with Hagadone in any trade. Especially as we're not likely to give up Lindor unless we get a superstar of Carlos Gonzalez's stature.

Outside of that, there's a bunch of supplemental trade pieces...... Donald, Huff, Gomez, McAllister, Barnes, Stowell, Bryson, Chen, Kluber, Neal, Weglarz, Soto, House, Price, Aguilar etc

All guys that are probably the 2nd or 3rd guy in a trade for anything "decent".
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:31 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:I think we may have to part with Hagadone in any trade. Especially as we're not likely to give up Lindor unless we get a superstar of Carlos Gonzalez's stature.

Possible. I definitely wonder what the organization thinks of Hagadone. Two-pitch pitchers can work as LOOGYs, but Hagadone seems to really lack deception with the fastball. It's also straight as a clothesline. Major upside, not sure they'll be willing to give up on it with Perez's mystifying dead arm and Sipp's total ineffectiveness.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:45 pm

The ChiSox gave up nothing to get Youk. Stewart + Lillebridge = McAllister + Ching Chen, no? Pay the salary. If you gotta give up a Hagadone, you do it as well.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:57 pm

swerb wrote:The ChiSox gave up nothing to get Youk. Stewart + Lillebridge = McAllister + Ching Chen, no? Pay the salary. If you gotta give up a Hagadone, you do it as well.

I wouldn't exactly say that Stewart = McAllister. McAllister is organizational filler; Stewart was the Blue Jays top prospect before being traded to Chicago in the Edwin Jackson/Colby Rasmus 3-teamer. Stewart might not be lighting it up, but he does have potential where there is none for McAllister.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29 pm

swerb wrote:The ChiSox gave up nothing to get Youk. Stewart + Lillebridge = McAllister + Ching Chen, no? Pay the salary. If you gotta give up a Hagadone, you do it as well.

I wouldn't give up Hagadone for Youkilis. Guy's a .220 hitter since the start of last August and has only played 66 games in that span.

I think Hagadone's more valuable than that. Hagadone might get you Carlos Lee. But I don't think he gets you 6 of the 9 mil covered that the Indians probably would require.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:17 pm

The thing is everyone knew the Red Sox had to trade Youk...... he wasn't hitting, he was trouble in the clubhouse and he'd had injuries.

That and they wanted to play Middlebrooks and the Red Sox were on to a bit of a loser.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby rigs » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 pm

Agree with Rich (and yes, I am posting after 3 losses).

Shaponetti laid the usual offseason egg, so they don't have the luxury of "waiting for the market" to dictate the cost of a hitter. Have to do it right now. Like this week. Panic? Maybe, but they did it to themselves. Pay Willingham, Cuddyer, etc. in the offseason, and you don't have to make a panic move...
"I see Aaron Laffey as a front-end #1 starter"- Alan Pawlowski, STO, sometime this month (seriously)

"I will personally see to it that the Indians will not regret this trade"- Jerrod Riggan, after being acquired for Roberto Alomar

"Most GM's see Cliff Lee as a #2 starter"- Tony Lastoria, 2009
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 pm

rigs wrote:Pay Willingham, Cuddyer, etc. in the offseason, and you don't have to make a panic move...

Yep, Cuddyer and his .223/.260/.438/.698 away from hitter-friendly Coors Field for 10.5M would have solved all of our problems.

And don't give me the "that's better that Damon/Duncan" argument. For 10.5M, it's negligibly better.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Not sure where this belongs, but I guess it would count as a mid-season pick-up...... Hafner is going to start a rehab assignment at AAA tomorrow.

Should be back with the team by the start of the next homestand at the latest.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:10 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Not sure where this belongs, but I guess it would count as a mid-season pick-up...... Hafner is going to start a rehab assignment at AAA tomorrow.

For how long?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:11 pm

jb wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Not sure where this belongs, but I guess it would count as a mid-season pick-up...... Hafner is going to start a rehab assignment at AAA tomorrow.

For how long?

Your guess is as good as mine!
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:20 pm

I think if we understood that the Dolans will NEVER risk a significant yearly loss, their actions make sense. They'd rather go 63-99 and break even or get a tiny profit over 91-71 and losing $5-10+mil. or more. Terrible way to run a team, but they are who they are.

So, the realistic answer to this thread is NO ONE or no one of importance. And BTW: I partially blame Antonetti for it. If you need to convince ownership to perhaps take a chance spending $$$ during the season to contend, the WORST thing you could do was waste $5 mil. on Sizemore. Now, you're the Dolans and you're being asked to take another $ risk. What's their likely response? "We're already out $5 mil. thanks to your folly and now we're supposed to trust you and risk more $ on a 500-team? Yeah, NOT HAPPENING."
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:I think if we understood that the Dolans will NEVER risk a significant yearly loss, their actions make sense. They'd rather go 63-99 and break even or get a tiny profit over 91-71 and losing $5-10+mil. or more. Terrible way to run a team, but they are who they are.

So, the realistic answer to this thread is NO ONE or no one of importance. And BTW: I partially blame Antonetti for it. If you need to convince ownership to perhaps take a chance spending $$$ during the season to contend, the WORST thing you could do was waste $5 mil. on Sizemore. Now, you're the Dolans and you're being asked to take another $ risk. What's their likely response? "We're already out $5 mil. thanks to your folly and now we're supposed to trust you and risk more $ on a 500-team? Yeah, NOT HAPPENING."

I don't know, that line's blurry. Did they waste money on Sizemore because Antonetti chose him or because Antonetti wasn't allowed to hand out more than a 1 year deal?
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Eh, the owners had exactly the same info as the GM. They gambled and lost, and it sucks because they can't buy their way out of mistakes like other markets.

Bottom line is they said they'd spend when the time is right. They held up proof in Danys Baez and that era, right out of the gate for this regime. We were expected to believe them. I'd say many of us did. Now it is time to play their cards. The team is fundamentally flawed both in pitching and in RH hitting. The division is right there, waiting to be seized. Detroit and the White Sox should be expected to improve, either thru current performance improving or thru acquiring players.

Let's see it!
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 am

Scratch Carlos Lee off the list. He was traded to the Marlins.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

We able to ascertain roughly what it would take us in terms of prospects and salary absorption to get Carlos Quentin? OPS is 1.007 coming off an injury and with absolutely NO ONE else in that lineup in SD. Damon is at .630. Franken-Duncan at .726.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Quentin is a very streaky player (the last two weeks he is 6/37 .162 with 1 HR and 3 RBI)compared to Duncan (similary streaky) hitting 9/26 .346 with 3HR and 7RBI the last two weeks.

For what we will have to give up to overpay and get Quentin (Lindor? McAllister?) I'd rather see what Canzler can give us.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Headley is on the market....Heyman has us linked to him. Interesting as I don't think Chiz can stick long-term (can't take a walk!) and Headley would be with us through 2014.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/ ... iple-clubs
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:28 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:Headley is on the market....Heyman has us linked to him. Interesting as I don't think Chiz can stick long-term (can't take a walk!) and Headley would be with us through 2014.

Headley's career numbers are not that good, even for Petco numbers. He is not worth what the Padres are reportedly looking for.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
NH Tribe Fan wrote:Headley is on the market....Heyman has us linked to him. Interesting as I don't think Chiz can stick long-term (can't take a walk!) and Headley would be with us through 2014.

Headley's career numbers are not that good, even for Petco numbers. He would be and upgrade(but I mean who isnt) He is not worth what the Padres are reportedly looking for.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:28 am

I'm fine with a Hannahan/Lopez platoon at 3rd with Chiz taking over next year. We need a left fielder, not a 3rd baseman. No thanks on Headley unless the Padres want to throw in Carlos Quentin.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am

Headley has 162 games at LF. He's got a plus arm, but his range is weak . Fortunately, Progressive field is a pretty small LF. We'd need to give up package that looked something like Barmes, Russ Canzler and LaPorta for him...and probably some cash too.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 am

Really? They could get Headley AND thin the herd too?

Put me down for that.

Since cash will be required in any deal, should we start up a collection?
I'll put a few bucks in as seed money. Maybe we can organize a bake sale and some lemonade stands around the Prog.

The Tribe could contribute some items for a garage sale.
Maybe some balls, bats, AAAA players...
googleeph2

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 am

bookelly wrote:Headley has 162 games at LF. He's got a plus arm, but his range is weak . Fortunately, Progressive field is a pretty small LF. We'd need to give up package that looked something like Barmes, Russ Canzler and LaPorta for him...and probably some cash too.

I hate to be obtuse, but just because he played the OF three years ago doesn't necessarily make him an outfielder now.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:
bookelly wrote:Headley has 162 games at LF. He's got a plus arm, but his range is weak . Fortunately, Progressive field is a pretty small LF. We'd need to give up package that looked something like Barmes, Russ Canzler and LaPorta for him...and probably some cash too.

I hate to be obtuse, but just because he played the OF three years ago doesn't necessarily make him an outfielder now.

A) LF is not all that difficult. Some of the worst defensive OF in history have made acceptable LF.
B) We are currently trotting out Shells Duncan and Jon Damon in LF
C) You would have to be other worldly piss poor as a defensive LF to outweigh the positives of having a player that could put together 10 solid at bats per week
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:05 pm

I would do that deal in a heartbeat but It will take way more than that with the number of interested teams to get Headley, they would just be giving him away. It would have to be a package starting with at least Hagadone and Dillion Howard along with somebody like Chun Chen. Headley will go to a team that overpays for him, which hopefully wont be Cle.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:51 pm

You all are gonna think I'm nuts, but I've come to a contrarian POV: DO NOTHING this yr. For one, our farm system is hideously bad right now, so much so that part of me wishes we were 8-10+ out of 1st. That way, we could sell and try, try to replenish it (in such a scenario, maybe a CP goes elsewhere). Right now, who do we have to offer that a) we're willing to part with (so scratch Lindor) and b) anyone else wants?

Two, this offseason will see the Indians better-positioned to do something. Remember, 18-20 mil. is coming off the board with the end of the Hafner and Sizemore deals. Like it or not, it probably makes more sense to get 1-2 more guys in the offseason, w/o having to give up anything else on a rental that may or may not work out.

Finally, I'm not sold that this team is anything more than a 2nd or 3rd-place team. So, I'm not sure it makes sense (to the Dolans, anyhow) to go all-in this yr.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:You all are gonna think I'm nuts, but I've come to a contrarian POV: DO NOTHING this yr. For one, our farm system is hideously bad right now, so much so that part of me wishes we were 8-10+ out of 1st. That way, we could sell and try, try to replenish it (in such a scenario, maybe a CP goes elsewhere). Right now, who do we have to offer that a) we're willing to part with (so scratch Lindor) and b) anyone else wants?

Two, this offseason will see the Indians better-positioned to do something. Remember, 18-20 mil. is coming off the board with the end of the Hafner and Sizemore deals. Like it or not, it probably makes more sense to get 1-2 more guys in the offseason, w/o having to give up anything else on a rental that may or may not work out.

Finally, I'm not sold that this team is anything more than a 2nd or 3rd-place team. So, I'm not sure it makes sense (to the Dolans, anyhow) to go all-in this yr.

A big proponent of selling myself.

The problem with the $ coming off the books for Gimpy and Gimpy Lite? Both will be back. For slightly less $, but I can almost see the press conference now.

And you are NEVER going to be a player in the free agent market if you use "length of contract" as your excuse.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm

^Agreed on length of contract. On the Hafner/Sizemore thing, well, I think Sizemore's done after this yr. w/ this team. If only for PR reasons, they won't do that again. As for Hafner, maybe so, but I can't seem getting more than 4-5 mil., so that's still a 10 mil. reduction to work with.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:56 pm

If they need to take on some short-term payroll in getting a player who looks to provide impact at LF or SP, so be it. The ownership has assured the fan base they would spend when the time is right.

If anyone is in favor of selling only because they don't believe ownership will ante up, that is utterly unacceptable to me. Like, will never forget-type of disgust.
googleeph2

Unread postby rigs » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Tribe will lose Choo after next year, Ubaldo and Cabrera after the following year. You have to go for it right now. Their "window" is now, as they say. Which is why you get in a time machine and sign Willingham. I agree with Pup, if it were me and I didn't just waste a decade plus on a franchise, selling would be the way to go. But after the ineptness of the front office and negative fan perception, selling now would be the last straw to whoever still cares IMO. They have to go all in by default.
"I see Aaron Laffey as a front-end #1 starter"- Alan Pawlowski, STO, sometime this month (seriously)

"I will personally see to it that the Indians will not regret this trade"- Jerrod Riggan, after being acquired for Roberto Alomar

"Most GM's see Cliff Lee as a #2 starter"- Tony Lastoria, 2009
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:01 pm

If they can actually make the playoffs, or at least show they are trying and get close, increased attendance may soften the $ impact of getting a guy now. And who knows, maybe they parlay that into keeping a star or 2 long term.

I know they tried to do this with Hafner. Too bad how that worked out. But continuity with key players is important, and the lesson with him is not to avoid risk above all else.

I realize committing $ is a minefield. What if they had signed Cuddyer last off season? Ugh. Who could know the season Willingham would have? But to ride the season out with only bargain bin pickups like Damon and Lopez will have Tribe fans shaking their heads that they aren't serious. Chicago and Detroit are. Why should Tribe fans be?

Get a little excitement brewing. Pick up a RH LF. I know they may need a SP but the bat will infuse some 'juice' at home games. And go ahead and get Omar after the deadline. Play him here and there and let him retire in Cleveland. Nothing wrong with that.

Then brag that we are playing to win. Enough of the 'woe is us in our market and economy' stuff out of the front office.
googleeph2

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm on the fence; I'd like to see a Quentin-esq bat in LF, but a large part of me wants to see them give Donald a shot at LF...or Canzler...or Cunningham. Just somebody to fill the spot till Grady gets back and gives us a week or two.

Donald played 8 games in OF in Columbus. I think he even played some CF too if I heard correct. If that's true, you could get rid of Damon and Cunningham and carry an extra arm in the 'pen. If/when "Rob" gets back you could move either Lowe or Tomlin there and start to shore up one of our weakest parts - guys who can keep you in the game in case somebody screws the pooch early.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:49 pm

googleeph2 wrote:If they need to take on some short-term payroll in getting a player who looks to provide impact at LF or SP, so be it. The ownership has assured the fan base they would spend when the time is right.

If anyone is in favor of selling only because they don't believe ownership will ante up, that is utterly unacceptable to me. Like, will never forget-type of disgust.

Aye, but there's the rub. Ownership can easily make the case, implicitly anyhow, that this particular year IS NOT the right time.

To rigs' point, next yr. may well be their one yr. to do it. You go all-in next yr. precisely b/c, given the salary relief, you can.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:25 pm

CleSportsTruth

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 pm

OTOH, I'd make an exception for Justin Upton.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby pup » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 am

CleSportsTruth wrote:^Agreed on length of contract. On the Hafner/Sizemore thing, well, I think Sizemore's done after this yr. w/ this team. If only for PR reasons, they won't do that again. As for Hafner, maybe so, but I can't seem getting more than 4-5 mil., so that's still a 10 mil. reduction to work with.

My guess is the offer Grady something a little less than this year, maybe $3M. Lightning in the bottle and all that jazz. I mean, tell me you cannot hear The Puppet with this quote "You are not getting a player anywhere that could give you what Grady can give you for $3M".

Pronk, what is his option? $13M? Not even sure. But I could see a 2 year $19M with a mutual option for year 3 at the same $13M they will turn down this year.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 am

Paulie C with a couple new names to consider. Joe Blanton and Jason Vargas.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... azy-sunday

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Can we make a trade to get Neil Huntington back?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:OTOH, I'd make an exception for Justin Upton.

Problem with Upton is what you'd have to give up in order to get him. You're getting a player with a team-friendly contract just entering the prime of his career. I'd imagine the cost starts at Kipnis +. We certainly don't have any prospects that can make it happen. Lindor would have value, but he's so far away that it's hard to expect a team to view him as a centerpiece of a trade.

I'd love to have Upton. I'd give up a lot to get Upton. The problem is that we don't have a lot to give.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

skatingtripods wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:OTOH, I'd make an exception for Justin Upton.

Problem with Upton is what you'd have to give up in order to get him. You're getting a player with a team-friendly contract just entering the prime of his career. I'd imagine the cost starts at Kipnis +. We certainly don't have any prospects that can make it happen. Lindor would have value, but he's so far away that it's hard to expect a team to view him as a centerpiece of a trade.

I'd love to have Upton. I'd give up a lot to get Upton. The problem is that we don't have a lot to give.

I don't think Kipnis + the top 7 prospects for the Indians would get it done. Point is moot; Upton isn't going anywhere. Upton was Bryce Harper before Bryce Harper. This story was manufactured for page views because he was booed for sucking (he's on my fantasy team, he sucks this year). I'm sure there are constantly "offers" made for the top players in the league, no matter how ridiculous the offer is, or the likelihood of it happening.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:02 pm

I dont think you would have to include Kipnis. The problem with an Upton trade without including ML talent is the sheer volume of prospects we would have to give up.

Any deal would have to include Lindor and Howard and whether or not a package with those two headlining as center pieces would be enough would be how high ARZ is on Howard. We have no way of knowing if they love him or not. Then I would imagine they would want 2 of Hagadone, Chen Change lee, or Cody Allen, a long with Chun Chen and then either Dorryss Paulino or Jesus Aguilar. Hell maybe both.

Lindor
Howard
Paulino
Hagadone For Justin Upton
Chang Lee
Chen
Paulino
Dnthateonthepronk

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB