Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

NBA Draft thread

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Re: NBA Draft thread

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 pm

I don't follow college basketball that much any longer. I will watch the tournament and that's about it. I am assuming the first 3 taken were who we wanted. who do you guys think was the proper pick for us at number 4??? Thomas Robinson? Harrison Barnes? Are those guys astronomically better than the guy we took?
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 pm

BTW: per Aldridge, money is what broke down a deal with Charlotte. So your free spending owner that will do whatever it takes didn't, period.

Been trying to tell you guys he doesn't want to light money on fire.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 pm

for all you guys who follow this who was the proper pick?? I here lots of shock and disgust, but who should have been taken there and why?
scrambler

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:15 pm

I would have taken Robinson. I would have been fine with Robinson or Barnes.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:15 pm

This just posted on Wikipedia under Dion Waiters:

Waiters was drafted 4th in the 2012 NBA draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. On draft night however he was traded to the San Antonio Spurs for Tim Duncan.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Action Boy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:16 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Even if this guy is awesome, it's obvious the Cavs don't understand how the draft works. Trade back a few spots and acquire assets. It's about value.

Couldn't agree more - once Beal and Gilchrist were gone, they had the opportunity to trade down, but whiffed.

I was never impressed with Waiters outside shot in college. Not much range and very inconsistent. I sure hope he pans out, but I don't understand the pick.
Last edited by Action Boy on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Action Boy

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Wire to wire.....

Worst.

Organization.

Ever.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 pm

No, you take fucking Thomas Robinson instead of holding your poster boy of suck, TT's dick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:20 pm

I hate the Cavs.
Are you telling me we couldn't trade down for Waiters. Are you freaking serious??
Grant should be fired instantly. Don't even let him finish this draft. Moron.
They must have freaking crayons in the war room.
I hate the Cavs.
Maybe they figured since they didn't get one of the best three players in the draft, they would start tanking right now for more ping pong balls next year.
Freaking morons.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm

leadpipe wrote:Wire to wire.....

Worst.

Organization.

Ever.

QFT

Chris Grant is terrible at his job. I've seen enough to decide that.
StewieG

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:No, you take fucking Thomas Robinson instead of holding your poster boy of suck, TT's dick.

So the cavs pick of TT has now screwed us for two freaking years in a row. Morons.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I wish I followed college ball because I honestly never heard of Waiters. didn't they play Ohio State in the tourney?? I missed that game, did he do anything that game? I saw the Kansas game and Robinson did stuff that game.
scrambler

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 pm

This is what happens when your owner makes a puppet his GM....

Don't ever talk to me about Gilbert again.

(not to mention he didn't want to buyout Tyrus Thomas... ROFL)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

I mean, anytime you can take a sixth man that you didn't workout and was most recently promised to go in the teens to Phoenix you have to do it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Against Ohio State, Waiters came off the bench. In 20 minutes, he went 2-8 from the field, 5-6 from the line, 9 points, 1 board, 2 assists, 2 steals, 2 TO's.

Stellar.
StewieG

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 pm

'Cuse is an NBA factory though!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:No, you take fucking Thomas Robinson instead of holding your poster boy of suck, TT's dick.

Is thompson really that bad? He averaged 8 and 7 not having grown into his body yet, he really has no room to improve at all?? Really?? Isn't he only 20? I read another thread you said he was a 43 percent free throw shooter. In reality the guy shot 63 percent in April and improved all season at the line and ended at 55 percent. By the end of the year he was massively improved there. So it was blatantly obvious the guy worked to improve something he was hideous at and did improve. Is that a terrible trait??

To summarize, I'm not really sure I get the pure and absolute hatred of Thompson.
scrambler

Unread postby rk » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Can we reach for a euro at 24 who wont be nba eligible for a couple years? Because now they have a chance to make this an epically horrible.draft and you can't miss out on a chance like that.

I would rather they have picked sullinger there. At least of you're going to get a guy 10 picks early you could get someone who can draw fans.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm

rk wrote:Can we reach for a euro at 24 who wont be nba eligible for a couple years? Because now they have a chance to make this an epically horrible.draft and you can't miss out on a chance like that.

I would rather they have picked sullinger there. At least of you're going to get a guy 10 picks early you could get someone who can draw fans.

Well, there is the rumor they have promised the 27 year old former marine center that wasn't even that good when in college they are taking him in the second round.

So there is that!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm

i'm sorry, I'm just playing devils advocate. Now that LeBron is gone I see two Cavs games a year against Utah. I honestly have no clue about Thompson, but his stats for a very, very young kid playing the 4 didn't seem off the charts bad though.

So the general consensus is unless Grant has the number 1 overall, he doesn't really know what to do?
scrambler

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Wesley Johnson! Hakeem Warrick! Andy Rautins! Johnny Flynn! Donte Green! I can't wait!

In fact, other than Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse hasn't produced an above average NBA player since Derrick Coleman in 1991. NBA factory.
StewieG

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm

scrambler wrote:

Is thompson really that bad? He averaged 8 and 7 not having grown into his body yet, he really has no room to improve at all?? Really?? Isn't he only 20? I read another thread you said he was a 43 percent free throw shooter. In reality the guy shot 63 percent in April and improved all season at the line and ended at 55 percent. By the end of the year he was massively improved there. So it was blatantly obvious the guy worked to improve something he was hideous at and did improve. Is that a terrible trait??

To summarize, I'm not really sure I get the pure and absolute hatred of Thompson.

For the 200th time, Thompson can't shoot and never will be able to, has an offensive ceiling of Andy, currently can't even get his dunks off cleanly, is a bad 1 on 1 defender and an okay weakside shot blocker. He also has no post moves.

His reboudn numbers were decent, but that is somewhat inflated when your team is shooting 40% on the season.

Very best case scenerio in a few years he is Andy. Probably scenerio, he is Tyrus Thomas.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm

On the plus side, I won't feel bad about not watching the Cavs this year. They'll be pretty easy to ignore.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I can't believe a year later and I have the same freaking venom I had then. All this anticipation, excitement and hope and Chris Grant knees me right in the balls. Right in the freaking balls.
OldDawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm

On my way home from work, the radio guys (yeah, I know) were talking about hearing rumors of a trade with Golden state that invovled AV. They were saying that even before GS took Barnes.

Is this something that happens? Would it have happened by now?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 pm

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 pm

scrambler wrote:i'm sorry, I'm just playing devils advocate. Now that LeBron is gone I see two Cavs games a year against Utah. I honestly have no clue about Thompson, but his stats for a very, very young kid playing the 4 didn't seem off the charts bad though.

So the general consensus is unless Grant has the number 1 overall, he doesn't really know what to do?

Thompson has unbelievable athleticism. The problem is his athleticism doesn't translate to any real basketball skills. He is, at best, a 7th or 8th man off the bench.

I'm not even sure Chris Grant knows what to do with the #1 overall pick, unless it's painfully obvious. Weren't they going back and forth between Irving and Williams?
StewieG

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:35 pm

motherscratcher wrote:On my way home from work, the radio guys (yeah, I know) were talking about hearing rumors of a trade with Golden state that invovled AV. They were saying that even before GS took Barnes.

If it hasn't happened yet, I will have jumped off the bridge before it does.
OldDawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
scrambler wrote:

For the 200th time, Thompson can't shoot and never will be able to, has an offensive ceiling of Andy, currently can't even get his dunks off cleanly, is a bad 1 on 1 defender and an okay weakside shot blocker. He also has no post moves.

His reboudn numbers were decent, but that is somewhat inflated when your team is shooting 40% on the season.

Very best case scenerio in a few years he is Andy. Probably scenerio, he is Tyrus Thomas.

Please, for the love of Dog, there is no reason to turn this thread into that thread.

Again.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

Those rumors are hours old and make no sense.

Hang on:

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
scrambler wrote:

so at least you're saying his ceiling is higher than Ryan Hollins maybe?? :clap:
scrambler

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote::lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

If you're laughing at me, this is where I invite you to go fuck yourself :thumb up:
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 pm

Interstingly, the Thompson pick is incredibly relevant in this thread, because it directly led to passing on T-Rob, which is hilarious.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:37 pm

motherscratcher wrote:On my way home from work, the radio guys (yeah, I know) were talking about hearing rumors of a trade with Golden state that invovled AV. They were saying that even before GS took Barnes.

I'd have to imagine GS intends to keep Barnes. When they were discussing that trade I don't think GS expected Barnes to be there.
StewieG

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 pm

At this point we have to trade Andy and plan on being in the top 4 next year so we can go 3 for 3
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:39 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
scrambler wrote:

Please, for the love of Dog, there is no reason to turn this thread into that thread.

Again.

I'm not a regular and don't read much cavs stuff here for the most part. So I have been not a part of any Tristan thread so don't know what's talked about. I honestly saw Thompson and the entire team play two games last year. It's hard to get a read on a guy when all I have are stats and a random dunk highlight.
scrambler

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Also, the new GS rumors (after the hours old ones from real sources) came from Reghi.

I don't know if I should laugh at that fact or the Gilbert/Grant duo harder.

Seriously, HILARIOUS
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Also, the new GS rumors (after the hours old ones from real sources) came from Reghi.

I don't know if I should laugh at that fact or the Gilbert/Grant duo harder.

Seriously, HILARIOUS

From Reghi? Does he have "sources"?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Waiters just reported that he didn't workout for a single team (he had the Phoenix guarantee) and that the Cavs never even spoke to him before the draft.

I am going to need oxygen if I keep laughing this hard.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby scrambler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Aren't the Cavs too bad at this point to not be drafting best available?
scrambler

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 pm

I love this in SI's bio on Waiters
After forgoing his final two years of eligibility, the Philadelphia native may be ready for a similar role in the NBA - providing an energetic scoring boost for a reserve unit while handling the ball when necessary.

Great. Two years in a row we pick a guy who at best will be a role player off the bench with the 4th pick.

As much as we didn't want Barnes, I would kill to have him now.
Last edited by OldDawg on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldDawg

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

OldDawg wrote:I love this in SI's bio on Waiters
After forgoing his final two years of eligibility, the Philadelphia native may be ready for a similar role in the NBA - providing an energetic scoring boost for a reserve unit while handling the ball when necessary.[/quote]

Great. Two years in a row we pick a guy who at best will be a role player off the bench with the 4th pick.

As much as we didn't want Barnes, I would kill to have him now.[/quote]

Well, it makes sense. When LBJ forces his way back to Cleveland we are finally going to have proper support and role players for him, dammit!
Last edited by motherscratcher on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Sure do hate LBJ for leaving this franchise.... LULZ
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:50 pm

(the only thing that could make all of this funnier would be Fab Melo's inability to play offense at 24)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Draftin Dion Waiters at #4 make moscratch a sad panda
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 pm

and just like that, mother gets me to stop laughing.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Another nugget from the bio:
Despite being highly touted out of high school, the guard had a difficult freshman season at Syracuse in 2010-11, struggling defensively

Syracuse plays a freaking zone. And he is struggling defensively. UGH!
OldDawg

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

OldDawg wrote:Another nugget from the bio:
Despite being highly touted out of high school, the guard had a difficult freshman season at Syracuse in 2010-11, struggling defensively

Syracuse plays a freaking zone. And he is struggling defensively. UGH!

In fairness, he was a lot better defensively last year. But he never played M2M in college so I have no idea how he is there.
StewieG

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:01 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:and just like that, mother gets me to stop laughing.

I'm not going to give you any of my playoff tickets.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA