Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:27 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Any of those DL have a chance at transitioning to OL?

Of the 2012 commits so far, only Billy Price, the kid from Youngstown, is considered a good OL prospect, although he says he prefers DT. They may end up landing Donovan Munger (Shaker Hts) who is another excellent two-way lineman, and could end up on offense.

Among current roster kids, the sophomore Baldwin (from Solon) converted to OT from DE for this season, and is trying to win one of the backup OT spots. Chris Carter went the other way...converting from OG to DT this spring, and looked pretty good in the spring game.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

e0y2e3 wrote:More and more and more D-Lineman.

Michael Hill, top interior guy we have been in on committed today. 6-2 315, four star kid and the top rated recruit in South Carolina (we pulled two big time D-Lineman from the haert of the SEC this year, what???). Offered by the Bama's, Florida's, etc of the world and coming to OSU.

The numbers on the O-Line may not be ideal (could use one more tackle), but holy fuck are they ever crazy good on the D-Line. The 11-13 classes have all been ridiculously talented.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=6082892

The Meatchicken OL vs TOSU DL battles will be epic for ther next half decade
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:10 pm

jb wrote:The Meatchicken OL vs TOSU DL battles will be epic for the next half decade

This^^^^^
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Yep and the numbers are soooo deep for both that at this point if only 40% of the kids hit the units will still be elite.

As to OSU's O-Line, they never wanted a guard in this class (took the punter instead) so one more OT is all they need, especially with Baby Boren and Decker coming in and both locking down back-up positions during spring ball (when they are supposed to be in HS) and with Decker rumored to even be pushing to start.

The O-Line depth isn't in nearly as dire a situation as it previously was
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yep and the numbers are soooo deep for both that at this point if only 40% of the kids hit the units will still be elite.

As to OSU's O-Line, they never wanted a guard in this class (took the punter instead) so one more OT is all they need, especially with Baby Boren and Decker coming in and both locking down back-up positions during spring ball (when they are supposed to be in HS) and with Decker rumored to even be pushing to start.

The O-Line depth isn't in nearly as dire a situation as it previously was

Which is good because the hit rate wont likely be much higher than that. Sick talent on the Dline for sure. I've very excited to hear the early indicators about Washington and Spence once they get to campus.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 pm

couple of quick hitters:

-There already are early returns on Washington from summer work outs, and they are excellent. BN$ reported that he was running agility drills with the DBs and holding his own at 6'5" 260. He is every bit the 5* as advertised and it will be interesting to see how that holds for Spence. Pittman was already graded out as a homerun in spring camp.

-OL recruiting has not started well for tOSU this year as the Bucks have pretty much missed on everyone. Depth is not a crisis, but they are still thin. Eye is right, Boren and Decker were great early. If Dodson is a hit, then the Bucks are in good shape regardless of how 2013 finishes out.

-scUM's 2013 OL class has looked FUCKING MISERABLE on the camp circuit. After watching camp highlights, I have to say the only one I would be exited about is Dawson. LTT has been holy shit bad, only slightly worse than Fox and Bosch. I like tOSU's DL recruiting much better than scUM's OL so far.

-Michael Hill is among the most important recruits in the 2013 class. He is probably the best (or second best) 2 Gap NT in 2013. Players like him don't get the highlights, they just make teams better. Look at his offer list, it is a who's who of NFL DL factories.

-Jalin Marshall lit up the Rivals 5* challenge at WR, looked like a super star against elite competition. Kid is for real.

-Eli Woodard lit up the same event and will likely be a 5* in the very near future. There was some concern about whether he would stay at CB due to his size (6'1") but all reports from the Rivals camp say he is certainly a CB. That means that Burrows (who is similar size but heavier) could easily be moved to FS or the Bucks could just trot out two 6'1 CBs like an NFL roster if Burrows can stick at CB at the NCAA level.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am

Side Note:

Durhon Carter booted from Bama as well. Kid's college career is... uhm.... not good.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Side Note:

Durhon Carter booted from Bama as well. Kid's college career is... uhm.... not good.

Academics?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:15 am

And then some apparently. Total jack off.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 am

What a waste.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 am

This was Saban's comment at some event yesterday: "that guy refuses to buy in to what we teach and what we value to be succesful. He will not play for this football team. Period."
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 am

e0y2e3 wrote:This was Saban's comment at some event yesterday: "that guy refuses to buy in to what we teach and what we value to be succesful. He will not play for this football team. Period."

Boom. Roasted.

I think Mike Leech equivicated more about lil James.

See yah in the USFL at the Rubber Bowl Duhran.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:48 pm

short video with interview and highlights of Jalin Marshall at QB and WR

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruitin ... KOcldkEfR_

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 am

Mike Mithcell to tOSU is looking like a certainty in the immediate (within the next few days) future.

Mitchell has flown under the RADAR despite his tOSU interest because he has NOT visited tOSU and is an OOS kid. Mitchell is a freak athlete that just won the National SPARQ Championship at a major Nike (The Opening) in Eugene. The competition featured the elite of the elite, nearly every major prospect in the country was in attendance (tOSU had 7 2013 kids there by themselves not including Mitchell).

So here are the key stats for Mitchell, a top 10 OLB prospect from Texas:

(all of these numbers are independently measured numbers done at the Nike Camp, not his HS coach, so there is no bloating).

-Height: 6'3.5"
-Weight: 216
-Vertical: 40.3" (are you fucking serious?)
-Shuttle: 4.00 (for a LB?, that is an ultra elite CB time)
-Powerball (how far can you throw a 6.6lb ball from your knees): 45' (he did have a meet best 46' in prelims)
-40 yard Dash: 4.39 Laser timed!!!! (not some coach clicking buttons)

To put that 40 time in perspective, only a handful of these national elite recruits (~20ish) ended up under 4.50 (Jalin Marshall ran 4.66, Burrows ran 4.53, Woodard ran 4.63) and only 4 broke 4.40. Of the guys that broke 4.40 the other 3 were CBs and WRs.

Kids highlight film is impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCjFOzktdI

Take a look at the kid jumping over another kid and dunking with 2 hands at the 1:34 mark. Linebackers shouldn't be able to do that.

Flashes that unreal athleticism, but also shows he needs some serious coaching. Excellent player with an unreal ceiling. Film is not as impressive as Marcus, but that is really the difference between excellent coaching and very little coaching. Mitchell has a great frame and will easily put on 20+ lbs without affecting his quickness and speed. Was the Texas Regional Nike Combine Linebacker MVP. I hear they have pretty good competition in Texas :)

Impressive addition. I like him much better than Anzalone but not quite as much as Jaylon Smith. I am not sure Anzalone would have been able to beat out Perkins and Marcus or any of the 2014 kids tOSU is in serious contention for (Booker, McMillan and Garret). Mitchell's athleticism gives him a shot if he coaches up. All indications are that the kid is a very mellow, level-headed kid, with those deep Texas highly religious values. No question he will have the work ethic to develop.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:06 am

Another guy that is blowing up right now is 2013 tOSU RB commit 'Zeke Elliot.

I liked Elliot's jr. highlights, but I was actually a little disappointed with his 110M hurdles time in the Mo. state championships. Elliot is a smaller guy and is really more of a shifty, quick all purpose back. I just thought his high end speed would be a little better.

Now that said, he is destroying the camp circuits including a couple of RB MVPs awards over some big names (Ty Issacs, Derrick Green, etc.). Yesterday he ran a 4.42 laser timed 40, so I guess any question about his speed has been addressed. His hands have been excellent in the 7 on 7s and he has been getting open against the best LBs. I was happy about Elliot when they got him, I cooled on him a little over the last couple of months, now I actually prefer him to any of the smaller backs out there. Smoke Mizzell might be more elusive, but Elliot is just faster.

FWIW, Elliot is screaming up the rankings and has gone from a high 3* to a guy that may end up with a 5th by the time this is done.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:37 pm

OSU DB recruits and Baugh the Cali TE are all showing real well right now.

The craziest part of this Mike Mitchell stuff is that not only is he one of the biggest freak athletes I've seen in ages, his little brother is a top five 2015 basketball player (already 6'7" 215lbs) and loves OSU too, making this a very probable package deal.

Supposedly the third brother in the line, a middle-schooler right now, is even more athletic than the other two were at similar age.

Here's the 15 year old brother (who can already jump ten times higher than Sully's fat ass could)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx--0AIZoPQ&feature=related[/youtube]
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:41 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:OSU DB recruits and Baugh the Cali TE are all showing real well right now.

The craziest part of this Mike Mitchell stuff is that not only is he one of the biggest freak athletes I've seen in ages, his little brother is a top five 2015 basketball player (already 6'7" 215lbs) and loves OSU too, making this a very probable package deal.

Supposedly the third brother in the line, a middle-schooler right now, is even more athletic than the other two were at similar age.

Here's the 15 year old brother (who can already jump ten times higher than Sully's fat ass could)

Fixxxed
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:43 pm

MY HERO
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Yeah, little brother's offer list is ridiculous for hoops. He is already drawing heavy interest from UK, Duke, UNC etc. He is a serious prospect and if he came to tOSU would likely be the best player they have had (from an NBA talent perspective) since Oden.

Little brother has serious athleticism (40+ vert), but really blows me away is his handle at 6'7". HS freshman that tall shouldn't be that coordinated. He has a great cross over. He will certainly be a 3 or 4 in college (at 6'7-6'9) but he passes and dribbles like a 1 or 2. Great looking prospect.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Good Lord, a 2015 that skilled already and at that height? Wow. My younger kid who just turned 15 is up to 6'3" and like e0y points out he had some coordination issues this past year, adding so many inches.... and 6'3" isn't even that tall, most kids this age who are 6'6" or above have two left feet.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35 pm

OSU commits at The Opening:

Left to right: Jayme Thompson, Cam Burrows, Ezekiel Elliott, Eli Woodard

As far as Mitchell goes, hearing that the OSU staff suggested he not announce his commitment until he visits, which is supposed to happen within a week...but he's OSU's to lose according to several of the recruiting guys there who have spoken to him.

Can't help thinking about Mike D'Andrea.

Sorry.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:22 am

Dan,

It is probably just the Cleveland Fan in me, but I was thinking the same thing. I remember watching the training videos of D'Andrea jumping over small buildings and rescuing puppies as he ran so fast his shoes melted, only never play a meaningful down at tOSU.

What is interesting is that I think there is a legit shot that Mitchell could end up in this exact same position (- the injuries). tOSU has brought in a very good, large LB class right before Mitchell and they look to have a better one right after. Right now he is a super athlete, and a good football player. If he doesn't develop into a great player he will never see the field. I have been 100% behind Jamal Marcus from day one, but after the pictures I recently saw of Boom Perkins, I gotta think he is an impact guy as well. So that is two guys that I like to get significant PT in the 2012 class and there is McMillan, Garrett, Booker and Ferns in 2014.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 am

Mike D'Andrea and his loaded D2 team was multilated by Tony Franklin and D5 Chanel during his senior year. Franklin went for something like 300 yards.

Sorry, but there were clear warning signs about D'Andrea having any idea how to play LB. And as soon as he injuries struck and no one could hold his hand and teach him to play football.....

Mitchell's film at least is against some of the best competition in Texas and it shows a kid who needs refining but that is physically dominating the competition and showing solid instincts.

Not saying he is any sure thing, but to compare him to someone just because they are both white and hyper-athletic is really, really, really silly.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:18 am

I never saw enough of D'Andrea in high school, and I haven't seen enough of Mitchell either, to compare them as players...and I didn't.

What I did suggest was that the advance hype about Mitchell made me think of Mike D'Andrea. How could it not do that?

From what I'm reading, the coaches are projecting Mitchell as a MLB. The next couple years could showcase the best OSU OLB's in memory....Shazier, Perkins, Williams, Marcus, Perry?

Some folks think Williams is a Mike as well, and/or Perry is a Leo, but we'll see. To me, the key is how Grant does inside. Word is they like what they saw from him this spring, but he's unproven at this level. Still the whole linebacking situation is exciting, starting with the anticipation of a full year of Shazier wreaking havoc.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 am

Sure, but let's be fair.... Perkins is a player that mostly focused on playing RB last year, is raw as hell and shot up the boards as a combine and summer freak last year.

Why not compare him as-well?

(Hint: because of how he looks)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:09 pm

Whatever, man. I see one person here trying to make this be about skin color, and it ain't me.

danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 pm

D'Andrea separated a shoulder then shredded a knee that required two surgeries to fix. He never had a chance to fulfill his promise and I'm not sure why he'd be considered a bust or a cautionary tale just because his body broke down.

Wouldn't have mattered if all that athletic potential had been realized or not when his knee blew out.

Maybe I'm missing the correlation?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:07 pm

The combine hype about Mitchell reminded me of the combine hype about D'Andrea...and apparently I wasn't alone.

That's all. No cautionary tales. No player comparisons.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

One thing I noticed about Mitchell in watching his whole highlight film is that nearly every one of the dozens of stops he makes are from hits above the waist, after which he spins, flings, drags or rolls the ball-carrier to the ground. I don't think there was a textbook leg tackle in the entire film. More an observation than a criticism, although that upper body muscle tackle...admittedly all the rage these days...will not always work in FBS football.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:02 pm

No disagreements there. He also needs work on pursuit angles.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm

danwismar wrote:The combine hype about Mitchell reminded me of the combine hype about D'Andrea...and apparently I wasn't alone.

That's all. No cautionary tales. No player comparisons.

Gotcha- D'Andrea much more highly thought of than guys like Hawk and Carpenter if I recall correctly.

He was a (the?) prize of his LB recruiting class.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:56 pm

He was the top LB in the country.

And he really was mostly combine hype. Pretty much every high school player in NE Ohio knew it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm

peeker643 wrote:He was a (the?) prize of his LB recruiting class.

One of two prize recruits in the OSU class. The other one was Justin Zwick. Ha.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Here is why I look at D'Andrea and Mitchell in the same light, and it has little to do with skin color. D'Andrea is the most physically talented LB prospect tOSU has seen since Katzenmoyer and Mitchell is the first guy to come along that belongs in that same group. He is a far superior athlete to Perkins. For that matter, Perkins flashes more "football player" than Mitchell does to me.

Mitchell's film is not great. Look, I like the athleticism. Hell, I love the athleticism. That athleticism speaks to a ceiling that is probably higher than any other LB on the roster. The most impressive thing in his highlight footage is the two handed dunk where he basically hurdles an opposing player. What I don't like is that the kid is often out of position, takes horrible angles and is a "drag down" tackler. All that can be coached, but it also speaks to a guy that is not as intuitive about the game and runs the risk of becoming an Etienne Sabino (another physical wonder that is also an appropriate comparison).

That said, Mitchell is an "awe shucks" guy that seems ultra coachable, but I think we are going to see an insane level of competition at the LB position over the next few years as the Bucks appear poised to sign 10 excellent prospects from 2012-2014 (5 in 2012, 2 in 2013, 3 in 2014) and if he does not flash early he could be lost forever. Athletic ability alone will not be enough to get Mitchell on the field and keep him there.

I just watched Mitchell and Marcus' film back to back and it is quite a revealing. I encourage you to do it and ask yourself which guy actually plays faster. All you need is the first couple of minutes of each.

Here are their highlights:

Marcus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRN0BlbpYk
Mitchell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCjFOzk ... ata_player

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:10 pm

I've watched enough of Marcus film to not even question that it is superior (against lower competition but still).

I mean fuck, Meyer called that the greatest high light tape he had ever seen and that thing is over 600,000 views on Youtube.

That film, to me, is the ultimate outlier high school film.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Clowney's is tape is better, but the fact that Marcus' tape is even in the conversation is a credit to him.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:17 pm

Seen a lot of guys who were 6'3 215-220 get to college and end up 6'4" 260lbs or better w/training table and real strength and conditioning guys. Is there any chance this kid can get to that and play a DE like Withers had with Robert Quinn (who was...yep...6'4", 260)?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:24 pm

IMO, he absolutely could (UT is full at LB and only recruiting him at DE, thus he has no interest). I mean, DE is going to end up the most stacked position on the team under Urban so good luck and frankly they could use the LB depth far more since there are very few on the roster.

But yeah, I can see that as the "worst case" scenario in terms of his development.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 am

No question the kid is at risk of getting bumped onto the DL. The Opening had him at 6'3.5" 217lbs, he looked lean, underbuilt, but "smallish" (relative term) framed.

I think he could put 20lbs of good weight on and play lb at 237 (or so) and keep his speed. Looking at him, 260 looks like it may be a reach, but it is possible. It would be near impossible to break into this team at DE with Bosa, Pittman, Spence, Washington and the likely addition of Tyquan Lewis. Hell, tOSU is doing pretty well with De'Shawn Hand right now too (still a dream, but not a pipe dream).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 am

BTW: Mitchell dropped that 40 inch vert at The Open, but Jalin Marshall didn't do too shabby with a 38.5...

Jalin and Ezekial were both also in the top twenty in the SPARQ combine, Cam Burrows made the all 7 on 7 tourney team as a DB and by all accounts Baugh and Woodward were very good.

For sending six guys to compete with most of the top 90ish prospects out there everyone agrees the OSU kids showed well.

BTW: Mitchell's 4.39 is even more absurd when you consider the ultra fast DB's and Jalin all ran between 4.5 and 4.65. These were NFL combine style laser timed forty's and the track was slow as hell. Only three kids broke 4.4 out of 95.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm

New committ: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... obs-116023

Kid's had a great summer and is fast as hell. Scout has him rated as a two star but their head of Mid-West recruiting was raving about him earlier, Rivals solid at a three star and ESPN at a four.

Chris Rainey from Florida type.

Also, he camped at OSU in June before earning a commitable offer, so there is that. Combined with Shelton gibson in Cleveland Heights having grade/twitter issues he may have just replaced him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Also, FWIW: this kid is nationally a top three guys in the 400, top two or something in the 200 and was timed at OSU's camp (admittedly always a fast track) at a 4.35. He's really, really fast.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote: Combined with Shelton gibson in Cleveland Heights having grade/twitter issues he may have just replaced him.

My thoughts exactly. Kind of think they were looking hard at guys like this trying to avoid "having" to take Gibson.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Friday Night Lights is going on tonight...picking up some interesting details from twitter and the premium boards...probably 10-12 people reporting from the Horseshoe...not me.

It rained hard early...Meyer and the coaches and all the players never left the field.

Urban pulling out all stops with former Buckeyes to work with the kids...three not too bad offensive linemen...Orlando Pace, Jim Lachey and LaCharles Bentley working with OL's.

Joey Galloway in town, spoke to all the assembled kids...Krenzel, Mike Doss, Shawn Springs...Of course Vrabel working with Bosa, Donovan Munger and Billy Price. But they have Price in a red (offense) jersey..trying him at G too presumably.

One overriding impression from everybody...Shelton Gibson (Cleve.Hts - WR) is a man among boys. looked amazing in agility drills...caught two TD's in 1 on 1 drills in the first few minutes. None of the DB's have a clue how to hang with him.

Lots of big national names in attendance...Dennis Finley.. Caleb Henderson, Drew Barker (who several people have said is throwing the ball very well tonight)

(see scoreboard video on other thread)

People saying Bosa is a monster...I'll find a pic later.

ESPN reported that Mike Mitchell has hinted that he's ready to commit...maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Other notes on returning players from beat guys...

Zach Boren has dropped 20-25 lbs to 240...says he came in as a freshman at 260 and played at 265 a year ago. Chris Carter has dropped 50 pounds on the Marotti plan. They took before and after pictures of a lot of the guys to show what Marotti's offseason work has done for them. Hope those get out to the public.

More as available...

'14 WR's Braxton Berrios (N Car) and Devon Allen are turning a lot of heads, a couple guys said they liked Allen better than Gibson...faster and more solidly built than Gibson. Afterwards Gibson told a Scout reporter OSU was "No. 1, by far"...also Artavious Scott, another WR got good reviews.

Greene says QB Joey Duckworth having a great night passing the ball.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 am

Allen is a 2013 guy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Timothy Gardner, a 6'5" 340lb guard has committed after camp and Friday Night Lights. Expect internet backlash as he is only a 3 star on Rivals and a 2 star on Scout. Bill Greene has been quoted as saying he flat can't play at OSU.

100% the coaching staff evaluating a player and going in the complete opposite direction of the internet scouts, which I don't mind at all.

Also, the staff has told Derrick Green, the #1 RB in the country per Rivals that they are going another direction. OSU was at the least in Green's top three and has favored them on and off over the last year (he went to high school with Curtis Grant and pushed him to OSU). With EZ-E Ezekial Elliot blowing up this summer the staff appears set with pure RBs and they have their slash player with the ridiculously fast dude from Maryland and Jalin Marshall.

16 commits at this point.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:20 pm

BTW: this is the second kid the staff has made camp twice to get an offer. Darron Lee and now Gardner.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:10 pm

I'll tell you what....

Lot's of guys like to second guess these offers like Gardner, but I love the camp offers as Tressel's staff hit on most of their camp guys. They had better success with camp 3*'s than with high profile 5*'s. As tight as schollies are this year and the fact that the staff seems to be content taking or passing on guys, I think they must've seen something they really liked in Gardner. If the staff is excited about him, then I am. They are in on a lot of big guys right now, so if they are taking Gardner then they are almost certainly passing on a high profile guy.

In the same vein, it will be interesting to see what happens with Luke Roberts and Pat Elflein, two low rated camp offer/commits from last year.

(I would be much more concerned about Gardner if Bollman was still recruiting the OL)

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Apparently the staff told him to lose weight before FNL at the last camp and the kid dropped 20 pounds in six weeks before FNL, showed up at 6'5" 320.

Speaking of weight, Chris Carter is down 50 pounds at this point since Mariotti took over (any see Bentley saying that FNL is the smartest thing Meyer has done outside of hiring Mariotti).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:41 am

I hadn't seen that about FNL and LeChuck. I gotta say, the recruits seem to universally love it. Next year it will be bigger. Heard there was something like 2K fans there this year for the free event. I'd imagine that number will grow by a lot in the coming years.

The recruits have all mentioned that the atmosphere, even with just a couple of thousand fans, was pretty awesome.

I caught some flack for saying what a big deal it was when Mariotti replaced Lichter. Several people here said, how much difference is a S&C guy gonna make and Lichter isn't that bad etc. I said, take a look at our fat OL and compare our LBs to the LBs in the SEC (physically) it was obvious that we were not getting everything out of those guys. We probably cost some guys a couple of $MM in the NFL because they were not in NFL shape. There is no question that the S&C took a hit when Butch Reynolds left, the Lichter years were not good from an athletic stand point.

The Carter situation reminds me of leading Marines. Sometimes you get a "fuck up," and what they really need is some tough love and some positive reinforcement when they do something right. I think in the case of Carter, he showed up at 380lbs for training camp and everyone wrote him off. Mariotti gave him some tough love and gave him a weight loss program that would either break him or give him a legitimate shot at making a difference on the team. He dropped 30lbs before spring ball, changed sides of the line and had some success. Now he is building on something positive and is probably really excited about the changes in his body and the team's attitude towards him. I am excited to see if he ever becomes a difference maker on this team. While he has made some amazing progress and seems to have the right attitude, he is still trying ot get on the field in one of the deepest DLs in the country. He is competing with Billy Price, Tommy Schutt and Michael Hill for the next 3 years or so for PT, so he still has work to do.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena