Text Size

College Sports Arena

CFB Playoffs

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: CFB Playoffs

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:58 pm

It is a 12 year deal, no major changes until 2026.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm

So this basically makes all of the conference jumping for nothing...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Nothing like committing to something for 12 years before you have had the opportunity to experiment with it. Really makes you question this countries system of higher education.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 pm

So, they're going to use existing bowl games for the three games.

Once again it is very possible for a warm weather school to have home field advantage. Why doesn't the Big Ten ever raise hell about this?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I loved the idea of home games for the top two seeds in the semis, but the bowl game money wins the day.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Told you they would fuck this up: 12 years... Seriously? Existing bowl system? Why so the bowls can continue to get gigantic arbitrage payments in the name of "tradition?" So what exactly is the point of a conference championship game now? To provide teams that had a great season another chance to eliminate themselves from the playoff? Ooooh, better yet, to provide emphasis to the fact that teams that were not even the best in their own conference can be MNCs?

If the conference championship games are not in the process, then they should get rid of them.

Well, it is better than before, but I have no idea how they continue to fuck this up.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:44 am

Spin wrote:So, they're going to use existing bowl games for the three games.

Once again it is very possible for a warm weather school to have home field advantage. Why doesn't the Big Ten ever raise hell about this?

Originally the B10 was the only conference that supported home sites for playoff games. But Jim Delaney being the sniveling little prick he is, mysteriously caved into what the SEC and B12 wanted, and reminded the Midwest of of the B10s irrational crack like addiction to the Pasadena chamber of commerce.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 am

While this is in net a positive (4 >> 2) there are still many details...

For my prediction on bowl games that are going to be involved...

Already committed:
Championship
Rose
Orange

Probables:
Sugar
Cotton
Capital One

I would see this as the shot to get Junkers and the Fiesta out of it. Unless there is a change, and the Fiesta Bowl is able to weasel its way back in over the Capital One bowl, or that the Champions Bowl takes place somewhere in between the Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Capital One locations...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

I real like the idea of a rotating championship game neutral location not associated with current Bowl Sites. Since New Orleans, Phoenix, Atlanta and Miami are already associated with Bowls, I can see Indy, Detroit, St Louis, Minnesota, San Fran, and maybe even Toronto being used heavily as locals for the Championship game, which would only be fair b/c the semi's will always be held in the South/Southwest.

What still really pisses me off about this is the amount of time between the end of the Conference championship games, and the start of the Semi's (3-4) weeks , how can these teams be expected to be at the top of their game with that kind of lay off?
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 am

Wetzel's column is just flat out brilliant

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--fou ... ittee.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 am

furls wrote:Told you they would fuck this up: 12 years... Seriously? Existing bowl system? Why so the bowls can continue to get gigantic arbitrage payments in the name of "tradition?" So what exactly is the point of a conference championship game now? To provide teams that had a great season another chance to eliminate themselves from the playoff? Ooooh, better yet, to provide emphasis to the fact that teams that were not even the best in their own conference can be MNCs?

If the conference championship games are not in the process, then they should get rid of them.

Well, it is better than before, but I have no idea how they continue to fuck this up.

+ 1 for using the word "arbitrage" .

:thumb up:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

Typical status quo comittee byproduct. "Hey I know. Evberyone loves what we've been doing so much so let's just add one more layer and cll it reform!"

These clowns could work for Congress.

I do love the naket admission that the new MNC game is just going to the highest bidder and F it all.

UAE will host no doubt. Quality "international education" experience for all of the fine "student-athletes" in the SEC.

On the bright side, you can't possibly hav ethe top 4 SEC teams all in this, can you?

What's that? A committee selects?

Nevermind.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:42 am

Govbarney wrote:I real like the idea of a rotating championship game neutral location not associated with current Bowl Sites. Since New Orleans, Phoenix, Atlanta and Miami are already associated with Bowls, I can see Indy, Detroit, St Louis, Minnesota, San Fran, and maybe even Toronto being used heavily as locals for the Championship game, which would only be fair b/c the semi's will always be held in the South/Southwest.

I knew the pinstripe bowl was an indideous plot.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:44 am

Delany gets a lot of shit that I really don't understand. Guy is really effin good at his job.

Ramzy killed it here re why/how: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/06/11655/b1ggie-pac
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 pm

danwismar wrote:Wetzel's column is just flat out brilliant

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--fou ... ittee.html

That article is amazing. I am not sure there is a better columnist in ALL of sport!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Delany gets a lot of shit that I really don't understand. Guy is really effin good at his job.

Ramzy killed it here re why/how: http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/06/11655/b1ggie-pac

Great article , but his theory is built upon an idea that all the sudden track and field events will become a TV draw,,, honestly I just don't see it happening
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:17 am

If that is your take away from that article I fear what you scored on the ACT/SAT reading sections.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena