Text Size

The Marketplace

Tips on Selling Used Car Online

Selling or looking to buy tickets or sports memorabilia? Have a small business, golf outing, or function to promote? Post it here in The Marketplace.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb

Tips on Selling Used Car Online

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:25 pm

My oldest now has an '05 Kia Amanti to ride around in and I'm trying to determine best way to get rid of an older, 2001 Ford Windstar.

It has about 130k on it but subframe and transmission are new (subframe (and new struts) as part of recall, transmission two falls ago). It needs AC work and some minor electrical but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on Craigslist/EBay or best way to go about things.

Don't need strangers showing up here to look at it for safety reasons (I'd meet them somewhere though) but want to get some thoughts on how to get rid of it. Probably ask $1500 or so as body is in pretty good shape and it runs well.

Any thoughts appreciated.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Tips on Selling Used Car Online

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 pm

I used Craigslist to find my current car and a nice apartment I'm moving into in a couple weeks. I think it's a great way to go. Put up some clear, bright, quality pictures with a detailed description. You can put a phone number in there, or just allow people to contact you through an email address, which remains anonymous until you respond to someone who emails you from there.

I've looked through thousands of CL ads while searching for an apartment, a car, and furniture. You wouldn't believe the crappy ads and terrible pictures people put up. Thing is, many of those work, but you can really stand out just by putting decent pics and spelling in your ad. My current landlord put my apartment on CL, no pics, just a one-line description that told almost nothing, and has had about 10 people in a week want to look at this place. I think the only thing that matters to the people answering the ad is the part that says it's in Ohio City, and it's cheap. CL is also free, whereas there may be fees attached to eBay.

The moral of the story is, if you have something good to sell, it will get plenty of attention on CL. You shouldn't have any problem setting up a meet with someone to look at the car. Unless they are from Nigeria, of course.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Tips on Selling Used Car Online

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 pm

If you put it on Craigslist and get a reply, always google search some of the keywords in the email. You'll find out if its a scam or not.

My dad just sold a '90 Dodge Caravan for $1100 to some dude who was pretty strange. Had my next door neighbor who is a cop ride along with him just to make sure that there wasn't any bullshit.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to The Marketplace