Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

PD Features Darwin Award Quote

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

PD Features Darwin Award Quote

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm not sure if the PD featured this quote today just b/c it was so ridiculous and they thought it would be funny for the guy to be reamed or if some schmoe actually thought it was a quality quote, but this is it:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/browns_should_hang_on_to_colt.html

"Just hang on to Colt and give him the 3rd string spot until one team in the league loses a QB in camp/preseason/regular season. Then swoop down like a loan shark and pick-up a 4th rounder from some team that is obviously desperate. Mike Brown did it to the Raiders, with higher stakes of course but you get the idea."

So, somebody is not only giving us a 4th rounder for Colt McCoy, but a 4th rounder for Colt McCoy: 3rd string QB?

Awesome.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: PD Features Darwin Award Quote

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

The PD Sports Editor has to have comprimising pictures of someone high up at the PD. It's the only way to explain how he's still employed.

Mary Schmitt Boyer? Bud Shaw? Paul Hoynes? Tom Reed?

These guys are like the depth roster guys the Browns have had these last 14 years. If they cut them, no one would even pick them up.

Not to mention that Livingston and Pluto are battered shells of their former selves. I liked both those guys 10 years ago. And all the part-time writers are uninteresting as well. Manoloff produces something good once a month usually. Maybe.

Lesmerises is excellent, but its only a matter of time before they lose him like they lost Grossi. I don't mind Mary Kay - she's average but tolerable. Boring straight 210 yard drives and pars on every hole. Never makes birdie. But when you're talking about her as one of your top couple people, you know you've got problems.

For the life of me, someone has to explain to me why the PD would unthinkably continue to pay these horrible writers 40-80k a year when they could replace them with much more talented writers and beat people at 25-50% of the cost.

Are they locked into bad union contracts with these writers? Do they believe that bad writers with known names would sell more papers over the long haul than better writers with less recognizable names? Do they just not get it? Have they actually read any of Bud Shaw's stuff the last five years?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:37 pm

swerb wrote:I don't mind Mary Kay - she's average but tolerable. Boring straight 210 yard drives and pars on every hole. Never makes birdie. But when you're talking about her as one of your top couple people, you know you've got problems.

I feel the same way about Mary Kay - she's fine, but probably shouldn't be your #1 guy/girl.

It seems like they're trying to bring Tom Reed along as their 2nd Browns reporter, but I haven't seen much from him and what I saw didn't stand out. They'd be best served going outside of their org for a replacement.
Hikohadon

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I've been disappointed with Tom Reed. He's mashed potatoes with no salt, pepper, or gravy. He is heaping helpings of meh.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm

The funny thing is, when they brought Reed in to replace Windhorst from Columbus where he was covering the Blue Jackets all the six CBJ fans in existence raved about how great he would be.

And yeah, he's really effin meh.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 pm

The people I really feel for are the ones that actually send questions in to have Mary Schmitt Boyer answer them.

Could you picture being that dumb as a sports fan? How do those people get themselves dressed in the morning?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Not to admit to listening to 92.3...but I was listening to Bull and Fox yesterday.

That quote above is pretty much verbatim what Mary Kay said she thinks the Browns are looking to do.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:05 pm

pup wrote:Not to admit to listening to 92.3...but I was listening to Bull and Fox yesterday.

That quote above is pretty much verbatim what Mary Kay said she thinks the Browns are looking to do.

I heard that too, listened to it after I posted this thread. She's been constantly overvaluing Colt ever since the draft. Tell me that the Browns are holding onto Colt in the hope that his value goes up - fine. Tell me that they can get a 4, you lost me. I don't care how overvalued the position is - teams have seen the dude play.

She's fine as a Pippen, but she is not cut out to be a #1 WR. They need to find one.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The funny thing is, when they brought Reed in to replace Windhorst from Columbus where he was covering the Blue Jackets all the six CBJ fans in existence raved about how great he would be.

And yeah, he's really effin meh.

I remember that as well. In fact I was beginning to think that I had it wrong and Reed wasn't the Blue Jackets guy that people had mentioned.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 pm

swerb wrote:The people I really feel for are the ones that actually send questions in to have Mary Schmitt Boyer answer them.

Could you picture being that dumb as a sports fan? How do those people get themselves dressed in the morning?

This. Whenever I read those (seldom) I always feel like the people writing in must be trolling or something, even though I know that they are 100% serious.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

It's like writing Hannibal Lechter with a question about being a vegan.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:32 pm

swerb wrote:The PD Sports Editor has to have comprimising pictures of someone high up at the PD. It's the only way to explain how he's still employed.

Mary Schmitt Boyer? Bud Shaw? Paul Hoynes? Tom Reed?

These guys are like the depth roster guys the Browns have had these last 14 years. If they cut them, no one would even pick them up.

This made me laugh pretty damn hard.

Schmitt Boyer is a joke, no question.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:46 pm

swerb wrote:The people I really feel for are the ones that actually send questions in to have Mary Schmitt Boyer answer them.

Wonder how many are even real. One of my buddies worked with a guy who would send fake questions, which were intentionally stupid, and sign a co-workers name so he looked like a jack-ass.

Amazing how many times those questions were printed.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:27 pm

leadpipe wrote:

Wonder how many are even real. One of my buddies worked with a guy who would send fake questions, which were intentionally stupid, and sign a co-workers name so he looked like a jack-ass.

Amazing how many times those questions were printed.

You're crazy if you think I'm not doing this 5 times in the next few months
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL