Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

MLB 2012 Amateur Draft

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: MLB 2012 Amateur Draft

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Naquin and the Tribe have agreed to a $1.75m deal - that's $500k below slot for the pick.

Should give the Tribe some money to throw at some of the flyers they took on day 2.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:51 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:Naquin and the Tribe have agreed to a $1.75m deal - that's $500k below slot for the pick.

Should give the Tribe some money to throw at some of the flyers they took on day 2.

That's one aspect of the new CBA I'm a little confused by. I thought there was hard slotting for each pick and serious repercussions for going over. How, then, are they able to go above recommended slots for these high-ceiling guys? Do those rules only pertain to the first couple of rounds?

Not trying to sound like a smartass...I just thought I was pretty familiar with the new CBA terms, and I can't remember anything about going over slot with later picks.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Naquin and the Tribe have agreed to a $1.75m deal - that's $500k below slot for the pick.

That's one aspect of the new CBA I'm a little confused by. I thought there was hard slotting for each pick and serious repercussions for going over. How, then, are they able to go above recommended slots for these high-ceiling guys? Do those rules only pertain to the first couple of rounds?

Not trying to sound like a smartass...I just thought I was pretty familiar with the new CBA terms, and I can't remember anything about going over slot with later picks.

This is going from memory but the first 10 rounds there's no hard cap I believe.

There is an overall cap that you're penalized for going over for the entire draft, but no single pick cap in the first 10 rounds.

After that, there is a cap per pick I believe.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Just looked it up.

There is a slotting system giving a value to every pick in the first 10 rounds, the total of those rounds is the teams bonus pool for the draft.

If a team doesn't sign a pick in the top 10, they can't use their bonus amount to sign other players. If they sign players for under slot they can use that money on other players.

After the first 10 rounds, every player signed for up to $100k doesn't count towards the draft pool - hence there is a $100k per player cap after rounds 1-10. If any player in these rounds is signed for more than $100k they count against the overall draft pool.

Any team going over their draft pool spend is subject to fines.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:

For the 1st 10 rounds, there is a "reccomended" slot for each pick, but a hard cap for the total $ amount that you can spend for the first 10 picks. So if you go $500k under slot on one guy, you can then go $500k over on another guy and still not have to pay a penalty. If you fail to sign a pick though, you lose whatever the "reccomended" slot figure is for that pick. So if a team wanted to punt their 1st round pick and save $2 mil or so to spend on high ceiling guys later, they could not do so.

Any bonus over $100k in rounds 11-40 counts towards the bonus cap. So no drafting guys in the 11th round and paying them $3 mil to sign.

The consequence of the new cap was that many teams took low-ceiling, easy to sign college seniors with various picks in rounds 4-10 so they could sign them well under the reccomended slot and pay other picks.

The penalty for going >5% over the cap is a 75% tax on the overage
Penalty for 6-10% over is a 75% tax on overage plus loss of a 1ST ROUND PICK
10-15% over is 100% tax and loss of 1st and 2nd round pick
>15% over is 100% tax and loss of 1st and 2nd round picks in next 2 drafts

My guess is that no one goes 6% over.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 pm

One of us will be right.

There is a recommended slot for each pick, but there is also a total allotment for 1-10.

They frown on you going over slot at any point, but going under slot early they will frown less on you for going over slot later, as long as you stay under the total allotment.

Saving $500K in round 1 allows you to give an extra 500K in round 2. Saving 500K in round 2 does not allow you to go 500K over in round 1.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm

pup wrote:One of us will be right.

There is a recommended slot for each pick, but there is also a total allotment for 1-10.

They frown on you going over slot at any point, but going under slot early they will frown less on you for going over slot later, as long as you stay under the total allotment.

Saving $500K in round 1 allows you to give an extra 500K in round 2. Saving 500K in round 2 does not allow you to go 500K over in round 1.

Saving 500k in round 2 does let you go over in round 1. The cap is for the top 10 picks, there's no hard cap on any individual pick.

For what it's worth, I wrote an article about this during the offseason when the new CBA was announced: http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... he-new-cba
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks, thanks, and thanks. I think I've got it now...at least, as much as possible. What a crazy system! Think we'll ever see that for free agency? :lmfao:
Adverb Harry

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:17 pm

2nd rounder Mitch Brown signs for about $160k over slot ($800k bonus, $640k slot)
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:40 am

Kieran Lovegrove in Cleveland for his physical today.

Tweeted this

http://instagr.am/p/L7zKIHl0lk/
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Lovegrove signed for $400k (pick value $432,700)
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:31 pm

The Indians signed 5th round pick Dylan Baker and 7th round pick Josh McAdams (formerly Josh Schubert) today. They've now signed 8 of their top 10 picks, and 15 of 40 overall.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm

gotribe31 wrote:The Indians signed 5th round pick Dylan Baker and 7th round pick Josh McAdams (formerly Josh Schubert) today. They've now signed 8 of their top 10 picks, and 15 of 40 overall.

Round 5 (#173 overall)RHP DYLAN BAKER AGE/DOB: 20, April 6, 1992 College: Western Nevada CC Signed June 19BATS/THROWS: R/R HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-2/215Hails from Juneau, Alaska…Sophomore at Western Nevada went 13-0 with a 1.91 ERA in 18 games/16 starts this spring (84.2IP, 46H, 18ER, 46BB, 126K)…Previously pitched at Tacoma CC as a freshman…Was named Scenic West Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year and helped Western advance to the Junior College World Series.From MLB.com on BakerComments: The junior college ranks always produce some good talent and in 2012, Baker might be the best from that pool. With a strong, durable and athletic build, Baker is what teams want to see on the mound. He could have three at least Major League average pitches with solid average command. His fastball sits comfortably around 92 mph, but he can dial it up to 95 mph when he needs to, and it has some pretty good run and sink to it. His secondary stuff is behind the fastball, but his curve has the kind of rotation you're looking for and he has shown a feel for a changeup with decent fade. He gets very high marks for his competitive nature on the mound. While it might take some time for those secondary pitches to develop and for it all to come together, Baker's upside has him moving up boards as the Draft approaches.

Round 7 (#233 overall)OF JOSH SCHUBERT-McADAMS AGE/DOB: 18, January 25,
1994 High School: Calhoun HS (GA) Signed June 19BATS/THROWS: R/R HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4/210Batted .447 with six home runs, nine doubles and three triples to his team to a Region 7-AA title and a third-round state playoff appearance…Went 6-1 with a 2.68 ERA in his time on the mound…
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Glad they got Baker signed, a lot of people seem to be quite high on him
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Typical f*ing cheap-ass Dolan. Signing a middle-aged one-armed guy on the cheap.

Adverb Harry

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Glad they got Baker signed, a lot of people seem to be quite high on him

Yeah...he's one of the guys I'm excited about. There are a few late-late round guys that have top-10 round talent that they selected as well...I expect most of them to go to college rather than sign. But the team has been really smart about how they've doled out bonuses so far and will likely have enough scratch under the cap to make a run at a couple of them. Most people were expecting Lovegrove to sign for over slot, and he actually signed for $32,000 under. Of all the things I hate about the new CBA, I do like the new mid-July signing deadline. Bringing these kids into the fold a lot quicker than normal.

Last year's 3rd round pick Jake Sisco starting for the Scrappers tonight. First pro appearance outside of the complex leagues.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:50 am

Baker signed for $200k (slot was $235,600) and Schubert/McAdams signed for $250k (slot was $145,600). So far Brown and ScuAdams are the only two players the Indians have signed above slot. They have an additional $714k or so to play with to try and bring guys in.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 pm

gotribe31 wrote:For the 1st 10 rounds, there is a "reccomended" slot for each pick, but a hard cap for the total $ amount that you can spend for the first 10 picks. So if you go $500k under slot on one guy, you can then go $500k over on another guy and still not have to pay a penalty. If you fail to sign a pick though, you lose whatever the "reccomended" slot figure is for that pick. So if a team wanted to punt their 1st round pick and save $2 mil or so to spend on high ceiling guys later, they could not do so.

Sounds like Yahtzee.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Tyler Naquin making his debut tonight for the Mahoning Valley Scrappers, playing CF and batting 2nd.

You can keep track of his night

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... x_mvsasx_1
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Infield single and a stolen base first time up for Naquin.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Naquin doubles his 2nd time up
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Naquin with another infield hit his 3rd time up..... I guess the kid can run!

3-for-3 with a 2B and a SB
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB