Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

FWIW- Browns Offense Projected as Most Improved

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

FWIW- Browns Offense Projected as Most Improved

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Part of an Insider Article on ESPN so only the Browns info shown:

Last year, eight teams took an all-in approach toward the NFL draft, making six or more selections on one side of the ball. The Houston Texans' defense saw the most immediate benefits to "flooding the zone" with rookies -- Houston's defense jumped from third-worst in the NFL to second-best in one season, giving up 1,459 fewer yards than in 2010. The New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers both devoted six picks to the other side of the ball, and their offenses surged.

This year, nine teams have taken the Texans' approach to revamping a platoon. The ultimate goal for these upgrades is to see a 0.5 yards per play bump, which would go a long way toward vaulting these teams to the top third of the league in either offensive or defensive production.

So how will these moves pan out? Let's take a look at the metrics to find out.

Offense

1. Cleveland Browns: +563 yards

Key additions: QB Brandon Weeden, RB Trent Richardson, OT Mitchell Schwartz

The Browns fared quite poorly in the yards per attempt (YPA) metric on short passes (those thrown 10 or fewer yards downfield) last year, as Colt McCoy's abysmal 5.3 total in that category ranked 30th in the league. Weeden displayed a superb ability to raise the level of play of those around him and thus should be able to improve that number to at least the league short-pass YPA median mark of 6.3. Over 300 short passes, that would add 300 aerial yards.

In the ground game, Cleveland's run-blockers finished 14th in the good blocking percentage stat (good blocking being roughly defined as when the offense doesn't allow the defense to do anything to disrupt a rushing play), but former starting running back Peyton Hillis didn't take full advantage of the solid blocking, ranking dead last in the league with a 5.7-yard mark in the good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric. Richardson posted a 9.7 GBYPA against Alabama's toughest opponents last year, and with Cleveland's solid blocking should be able to rack up a 7.8 GBYPA in the pros (which is league average in this metric). That would add 2.1 yards per rush on approximately 125 good blocking plays, or 263 additional ground yards.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: FWIW- Browns Offense Projected as Most Improved

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Of course.

Only three reasons would make anyone believe otherwise: The most nattering nabob of negativity personality, injuries waiting in the weeds like a lyme desease infected tick ready to pounce on Darryl Hall, or complete NFL stupidity.

Weeden absolutely has to be a plus over McCoy unless he completely pulls Gabbert in the pocket and a DA downfield, TRich is a stud prospect RB in for arguably the worst running "attack" in the NFL, Lavao improves even this much -> { } or the Buffalo can play a lick, and The Scwartz is with us.

Then you have Little getting better in all probability and the 2nd WR table scarps are at least a push.

All under a 2nd year of scheme continuity where they lacked OTA's and a full TC last year plus a vet OC and Don't call him Oliver assisting.

No way this O is gonna be anything but much better.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

And yet Chris Fedor last night was insisting that having a better offense wouldn't help the Browns because look at how good Carolina's offense was last year and they still lost because 1) they were in a tough division and 2) something about having lesser talent (which didn't make a lot of sense since you're saying they have a great offense but somehow no overall talent).

He failed to mention anything about the difference in defensive play (Browns 10th, Carolina 28th) maybe having something to do with why the Panthers improved offense didn't win them more games, but, hey, logic is for pollyannas.

DISCLAIMER: User was not indicating that he felt the Browns have the 10th best Defense in the league, or that their ranking might not fall this year due to injury and/or having opponents play more aggressively on offense due to Cleveland's supposed improved offense, simply stating an opinion that it is fucktarded to suppose that a(ny) bad team with an improved offense cannot win simply because the Carolina Panthers didn't last year.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Stating that drafting rookies led to the Texans (biggest hole on defense was filled by a bona-fide stud FA) defense improving and then talking about the draft and NE/GB offense... uhg.

What a stupid effin article.

Sure the Browns O will get better and that's nice (it kind of has to at least a little bit), but those three examples dropped above are fucking grasping at straws to fill column quotas.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Stating that drafting rookies led to the Texans (biggest hole on defense was filled by a bona-fide stud FA) defense improving and then talking about the draft and NE/GB offense... uhg.

Sure the Browns O will get better and that's nice (it kind of has to at least a little bit), but those three examples dropped above are fucking grasping at straws to fill column quotas.

Yes, even the most optimistic Browns fan's expectations should not be lumped in with the results those 3 teams saw last year.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:55 pm

I just can't believe that Chris Fedor said something stupid.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I just can't believe that Chris Fedor said something stupid.

That sounds like a made up name.

I don't even know what's goin' on.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I just can't believe that Chris Fedor said something stupid.

I'm not sure it's not. Never met him, don't vouch for him.

All I know is that there is a person who goes by that name that says lots of dumb things, most of which I never have to hear or read about, but occasionally do.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

"It's not any more made up than my personality."

Hikohadon

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:04 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

I'm not sure it's not. Never met him, don't vouch for him.

All I know is that there is a person who goes by that name that says lots of dumb things, most of which I never have to hear or read about, but occasionally do.

Sounds like a real dickwad.

I'll trade you (1) Scott Torgersen (AKA "The Torg" HurrDurr! for an Asshole Radio Sports Guy TBNL
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

"It's not any more made up than my personality."

I don't get it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Stating that drafting rookies led to the Texans (biggest hole on defense was filled by a bona-fide stud FA) defense improving and then talking about the draft and NE/GB offense... uhg.

One can say that the Browns should almost certainly have an improved O and not win more than 6 games and noty be a loon.

get off fedor. He was the ancor of his St Ed's bowling team & he repeatedly uses that as an example of authoritae.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't get it.

Believe me, it makes sense to the people that have listened to him.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

And on the exact same website ESPNs Clayton predicts Browns go 4-12 again.

Best of all he uses one of my favorite classic throw away talking heads lines:
The Browns will be a much better team despite not improving on last season's win total.

I wish I had 100 shares of Disney stock every time I heard a paid ESPN personality use that one.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 am

Did the article mention that at the end of 2010 the DC was fired along with half his staff and replaced by crappy HC but amazing DC Wade Phillips? Who specializes in turning around under-performing defenses?

Not to shoot the messanger Peeks, and thanks for posting something optimistic, but what passes for ESPN "analysis" these days makes my head explode.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:03 am

mattvan1 wrote:

Did the article mention that at the end of 2010 the DC was fired along with half his staff and replaced by crappy HC but amazing DC Wade Phillips? Who specializes in turning around under-performing defenses?

Not to shoot the messanger Peeks, and thanks for posting something optimistic, but what passes for ESPN "analysis" these days makes my head explode.

I'm trying desperately to show some balance. Hiko should be enough rainbows and lollipops for the place but I was supporting my fellow man. ;-) ;) :wink:

The biggest reason the Browns offense will be improved is last year's offense.

Kind of like a real shitty running back for an expansion team setting the franchise rushing record with his 400 yard season and 4 TDs in their inaugural season ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 am

Govbarney wrote:And on the exact same website ESPNs Clayton predicts Browns go 4-12 again.

The Browns will be a much better team despite not improving on last season's win total.

Um, yeah - only issue is that this is true....
jb

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 am

jb wrote:
Govbarney wrote:And on the exact same website ESPNs Clayton predicts Browns go 4-12 again.

Um, yeah - only issue is that this is true....

And its often true. Not sure what's so hard to understand.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 am

peeker643 wrote:I'm trying desperately to show some balance. Hiko should be enough rainbows and lollipops for the place but I was supporting my fellow man. ;-) ;) :wink:

I resent that, sir. I loathe both rainbows and lollipops.

Well, a real rainbow is kind of cool, but I'm thinking of the bright Care Bear rainbows. I hate those.

And lollipops? Blech. Can't stomach the things. Too sweet. Except those mango flavored suckers that are covered in chile powder. That's a nice mix of spicy and sweet. So I exempt those.

It's a sad sad world we live in when a guy predicting about 6 wins is rainbows and lollipops, but our poor fanbase is just so beat down. I'm more overcast days and cheese on a stick, but I guess that looks like rainbows and lollipops next to blood rain and skewered dung.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Not to be a narcissistic,

But until proven otherwise, we're a 4-12 team, and we still have possibly the 2nd coming of Rich Kotite roaming the sidelines.

We're also still playing in a division with a team that was one missed field goal away from going to the super bowl, a Steelers team that doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "aging" (and who's won 2 super bowls in the past 6 years, and been to 3), and a Bengals team that found some ginger-haired "Children of the Corn" looking M-f'er as their QB of the future, and actually look competent.

Until proven otherwise, All three have better QB's, All three have better Head Coaches and all three have better teams period.

If we can win 2-3 division games, I'll be a little more inclined to believe that we've improved.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I'm trying desperately to show some balance. Hiko should be enough rainbows and lollipops for the place but I was supporting my fellow man. ;-) ;) :wink:

I resent that, sir. I loathe both rainbows and lollipops.

Well, a real rainbow is kind of cool, but I'm thinking of the bright Care Bear rainbows. I hate those.

And lollipops? Blech. Can't stomach the things. Too sweet. Except those mango flavored suckers that are covered in chile powder. That's a nice mix of spicy and sweet. So I exempt those.

It's a sad sad world we live in when a guy predicting about 6 wins is rainbows and lollipops, but our poor fanbase is just so beat down. I'm more overcast days and cheese on a stick, but I guess that looks like rainbows and lollipops next to blood rain and skewered dung.

:lmfao: :lmfao:

Best post of the month. This is why I keep you off my blocked list. I call my unblocked list The Pashos.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:10 pm

The Browns ranked 29th in yards gained last year and went "all in" on offense in the draft, so yeah, I'd say they have a shot at being the most improved offensive team. Playing in the same division with three very good defenses will make improvement difficult, however.

On the reasoning that the worse your offense was the easier it is to show improvement, I'd say the Colts are another candidate, ranking 30th last year and getting Luck in the draft. Also the Broncos, who ranked 23rd but are replacing that left-handed rookie who couldn't throw (forget his name - T-Bone or something) with Peyton Manning. If Manning is close to 100%, look out.

I don't know if the Browns will be the NFL's most improved offensive team, but I don't see how they're not in the top five. Three of the OL positions will be improved, the QB and RB will be improved, and Little will be better with more quickness and a year of experience. Having a legit offensive coordinator will help, too. Childress might do for the offense what Jauron did for the defense last year.

I didn't realize that Hillis was the WORST running back in the NFL at gaining yards behind good blocking. I never even knew that statistic existed. But that explains why they didn't want him back and why he only got a one-year deal with KC. When Richardson gets some good blocks I expect butts will be jumping out of seats.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am

Prosecutor wrote:I didn't realize that Hillis was the WORST running back in the NFL at gaining yards behind good blocking. I never even knew that statistic existed.

Neither did I. Sounds like a subjectively measured stat, like Errors in baseball.

But all Hillis was good at was running straight ahead through wide open holes, then maybe breaking a tackle or two once he got up a head of steam. When lines were stacked (as they always were against a QB that presented no downfield threat), he had tons of trouble finding his own holes. This was further evidenced by OG being a much more effective runner than Hillis in the same circumstances.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am aware that a stacked line is difficult for ANY RB, just that Hillis was particularly bad at dealing with it and often ended up trying to pull a Barry Sanders without even remotely the requisite skill required to do such a thing.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL