Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Euro 2012/CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Re: Euro 2012/CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:28 pm

That England/Sweden game was riveting. Thought the Brits were dead to rights ... Swedes took that game over and seemingly had 90% of the fans pulling for them loudly.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Swedes had 2/3 of the stadium in that game but Welbeck's backheel art of a goal was worthy of a winner. Great game

England just need a draw to qualify but a win would be better to help avoid Spain in the QF
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Wow, I don't know how the hell Greece wound up making it to the quarter finals. IMO they were one of the worst teams in the tournament.
“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.”
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Christos Anesti!! Greece is through to the quarters.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 am

Greece are one of those scrapping teams. Wedge would love to manage a team of grinders like them.

But yeah, it's a damn shame Russia were knocked out because they plays some great football and would have given Germany or Portugal/Croatia a tough time, but then again their fans are cunts.
Now two of those three teams look to have a much easier route to the semis. But hey that's the fucking jammy Germans for you!
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Italia goes to the quarters after beating Ireland 2-0. The Irish certainly didn't go down without a fight.

Now to see who they play...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Squints » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:34 pm

Hell of a goal by Ballotelli, a semi-bicylce all while getting pulled down by the defender. He would be one of the world's best if he can stop being his own worst enemy. Hell, is teammate may have stopped him from being booked right after the goal.
Squints

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 am

Now it gets fun.
Here is how I rank the final 8:
1.Germany
2.Spain
3.Portugal
4.England
5.Italy
6.France
7.Czech Republic
8.Greece

I still think Germany wins the whole thing, but I think Portugal and England have a real "dark horse" quality to them.
So far I would say the two biggest surprises would have to be Russia crapping the bed, and Greece making it out of the first round.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:47 pm

England are so solid defensively that I think we can win this thing by playing counter-attacking football. We beat Spain in November, albeit in a friendly, so we know we're capable of knocking off the best. The only team I fear is Germany. They're an 11-man demolition crew when they are on their game (as they often are.) Looking like another England v Germany Semi-Final. It has to be one of the greatest fixtures in World Football.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Govbarney wrote:Now it gets fun.
Here is how I rank the final 8:
1.Germany
2.Spain
3.Portugal
4.England
5.Italy
6.France
7.Czech Republic
8.Greece

I still think Germany wins the whole thing, but I think Portugal and England have a real "dark horse" quality to them.
So far I would say the two biggest surprises would have to be Russia crapping the bed, and Greece making it out of the first round.

I've watched every game so far, and based on impressions and "team cohesion" id rank them like this:

1.Germany
2.Spain
3.Italy
4.Portugal
5.Czech Republic
6.England
7.France
8.Greece

In my mind England hasn't done anything to warrant optimism. They have a nice collection of players on paper but the unit cohesion is missing. Its the same with France. If they make it past Italy i'd be very suprised. I'd have to say that England is the most unsympatheic team ive seen in a long time.

Im a little worried about Germany though. Their defense, which was the biggest question mark going into the tournament, has played as good as you can against 2 of the top 4 offenses.

The thing that irks me is the lack of goal scoring opportunities being created. Podolski just dispears for long streches of the game and Mueller and Oezil are constantly double- if not triple-teamed. Gomez will play world class one day, then suck ass the next.

Germany has gone from Underdog and counterattacking, biltzkrieg-style offensiv to feared favorites which forces their opponents to pull back and pray for Germany to make a mistake, because you wont beat Germany if you come out swinging. Teams have learned that you can't give Germany any space what so ever. Watching Germany play has become like watching a chess match.
“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.”
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 pm

The whole country of Portugal can be sumed up in one word ' Ronaldo' . what a beast. This has become my favorite team of Euro 12.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 am

Ronaldo is a vile, slimy fiend. The worst human-being to have ever been made captain of his country; petulant, greedy little bastard. I can't wait for him to cry again when Spain knock Portugal out of the semis

Terrible game of football yesterday too.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:29 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:Ronaldo is a vile, slimy fiend. The worst human-being to have ever been made captain of his country; petulant, greedy little bastard. I can't wait for him to cry again when Spain knock Portugal out of the semis

Dito on the game yesterday, yet it must be said that John Terry is much more of a vile cunt than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is possibly the most overrated player ever. He's good, no doubt, Top 5 in the world but as a player at his position, with his talent he just simply does too little.

He just doesnt dominate the tougher competion like you'd expect of superstars. Yeah he'll score some pretty goals here and there but he gets shut down by competant defenses.
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:07 am

How's the US doing in this thing?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 pm

SpaceShuttleDoorGunner wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Ronaldo is a vile, slimy fiend. The worst human-being to have ever been made captain of his country; petulant, greedy little bastard. I can't wait for him to cry again when Spain knock Portugal out of the semis

Dito on the game yesterday, yet it must be said that John Terry is much more of a vile cunt than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is possibly the most overrated player ever. He's good, no doubt, Top 5 in the world but as a player at his position, with his talent he just simply does too little.

He just doesnt dominate the tougher competion like you'd expect of superstars. Yeah he'll score some pretty goals here and there but he gets shut down by competant defenses.

I don't know if I can agree. 112 goals in 101 appearances for Real Madrid, by a winger, is a remarkable feat.

But yes Terry is a deplorable human-being

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:38 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner wrote:

I don't know if I can agree. 112 goals in 101 appearances for Real Madrid, by a winger, is a remarkable feat.

But yes Terry is a deplorable human-being

Even with all the goals he's scored hes should still have done more with chances he's had. He also said in an interview once that if it was for Oezil setting him up he wouldn't be scoring as many goals. He is brilliant 80% of the time, except in big games. That and he cries/dives alot, which is absolutley unnecessary for someone of his ability.

Great game by Germany. Loew showed once again he has balls of steel by changing his rotaion on offense. If it weren't for the pitch Germany probably would have won 6-2. Once again the game wasn't as close the score would indicate.
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby Squints » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:39 pm

Viva Italia!!!

The penalty kick shootout is growing on me. It sure beats the stalemate that this game was, minus the offside goal by Italy. Great saves by Buffon early and then in the shootout, but Germany will be a tough task.
Squints

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:32 pm

I can't express how much I hate the concept of a shootout in a big tournament like Euro, or the World Cup. That being said I am glad Spain won today, originally I was pulling for Portugal in that match , but the way Spain dominated most the game, and the way Portugal played for a shootout in OT made me sick.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Govbarney wrote:I can't express how much I hate the concept of a shootout in a big tournament like Euro, or the World Cup.

Agreed, it's like deciding the Super Bowl by kicking field goals.

My team lost a national title and won a national title on shootouts, and both times I hated them.

My idea for overtime is to have the coaches pull one opponent defender out of the game every 5 minutes until someone scores.
Spin

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 pm

Spin wrote:
Govbarney wrote:I can't express how much I hate the concept of a shootout in a big tournament like Euro, or the World Cup.

Agreed, it's like deciding the Super Bowl by kicking field goals.

My team lost a national title and won a national title on shootouts, and both times I hated them.

My idea for overtime is to have the coaches pull one opponent defender out of the game every 5 minutes until someone scores.

Or deciding the World Series with a home run derby. It makes me sick they play 120 minuets of Futbal, only to end the game playing a completely different sport. I think the NHL has got it right , maybe during the regular season a shootout is cute (though I disagree, but then again I must be un-american because I dont see the harm in a tie) But when it comes to the playoffs, you play the 'sport' until someone wins! I am sorry , but endurance is part of the game.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

No talk of Ronaldo standing on the field w/o having taken a shot?

Guy's a douchebag and came up small again yesterday but was that the right call?

Made little sense to me.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Buffon is an animal. He's the difference on Team Dago.

Balotlli aint to be either. Holy crap that's the play every soccer player dreams of making.

2-0 at 35 minutes.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Bring on Spain...
Spin

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Let's go Paizans!
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Previous

Return to The Back Of The Net