Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

NBA TV Dream Team Documentary

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

NBA TV Dream Team Documentary

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I missed it, but the reviews are off the charts across the board and I'll bet it airs 50 times this week. Set your DVR's.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: NBA TV Dream Team Documentary

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am

I watched it last night. It was good, but I wouldn't consider it "off the charts". I did it enjoy it though, alot of good behind the scenes stuff.

- Really puts Chuck Daly in elite light
- Goes into the Isaiah Thomas snuff
- Alot of Magic vs Michael
- Pippen and Jordan handling Kukoc in Barcelona
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:02 am

Preview looked awesome. I have it recorded to watch over the weekend.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:06 am

I loved it, they did show alot of it on the sportscenter spot they did on it over the weekend, but def some good stuff well worth the reserved spot on my DVR. Loved the fact that they all came out and openly said they wanted to compete against each other in practice to prove each was the best at their postions. Magic and Bird agreeing the torch had been passed to Jordan and John stockton walking around with is family in Barcelona and noone even knowing who he was.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am

Still the best line (and one featured in the Magic 30 for 30 ESPN special) was the photo opp with Jordan, Magic and Bird when the photog asks them to get closer and Magic says, "If we get any closer to Michael someone's gonna blow a whistle and call a foul".

Perfect.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:17 pm

forget how long ago this was.

If you were too young to have seen 1992, you have to apprecaite the whole context.

This was the first Olympics sinnce 88. It was the last Olympics before the fall of the Berlin Wall. It was the Cold War at the end of Ronnie Raygun's presidency when he was pretty much bat shit senile and despite Perystroyka and Glasnost the itchey fingers were still at the trigger.

In 88,the US Olympic team led by David Robinson and Danny Manning didn't even make the gold medal game between the USSR & Yugoslavia. USA basketball was even losing in the hemisphere to the like of Oskar Schmidt. USA basketball had been so dominant over the decades except for the Munich screw job that the post 84 teams getting punked was shocking.

Buy 1990 we'd had enough. Pressure was put on the Olymic Comittee to stop the charade of the post-Soviet and communist charade and hypocracy of enlisting their professional athletes in thye military as a thinly veiled excuse for them to do nothing be practice and compete and professionals were allowed in the Olympics. Since the Wall fell in 1989 and Russia was a mess and the sattalites were going democratic, they had neither the will nor means to blcok that change.

And yeah Lee you cynical twat that mattered to Americans as much as Herbie Brooks bunch earlier in the decade.

You could sense the build up. This was OUR national sport. It was like the Germans losing wars or Ireland getting drunk under the table or someone with worse oral hygine than Brittain. We were PISSED as a nation.

Everyone in the NBA wanted in. Everyone.

This was far less about their practices or the internal competition, although that was awsome. That roster was unreal, obviously. But it was about bringing in a John Stockton, Chris Mullen and Clyde Drexler on the 3rd rotation to just punk the crud out of those commies who were now Balkanized (pun intended).

Russia couldn't even get to the fianls. Croatia had to satisfy our patriotic blood lust, and AFAIC, that was a damn shame.

Would have loved for that bunch to serve the old USSR by 30+ dif.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:39 pm

There you have it, straight out of JB's mouth, Ronnie Reagon and The Dream Team worked together to end the USSR...

And none of you twats watched the redeem team, so blow me. It was, from a pure sport perspective the same thing. None of the outside stuff, but we once again were losing our sport and took it back (and will continue to as long as we have someone running a real program).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 pm

The Reagan cheap shot is disingenous.

Jordan, Barkley, and Magic covering their Reebok logos with the US flag because they were Nike guys is what I remember most. Didn't appreciate that much. The games felt like the varsity pouring on second-half points vs. the JV. Not too compelling.

Point was made though, that's for sure.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 pm

nt
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Ronnie Reagon... a true American false idol!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Ronnie Reagon... a true American false idol!

Way too Youngstown. True story I believe Traficant was the only democrat in the entire congress to unseat a sitting republican during the Mondale election.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Bullshit, I got mad respect for Nixon for example, just factually Ronnie is the most overrated prez ever. /end of politics talk
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Jb is right, the concept of the Dream Team was for the most part a big ole "suck my dick" from the U.S.

That was a very fun time to be an NBA fan. Stars aligned for that unmatched collection of talent.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for that tip eye, I'll be sure to check it out. JB is spot on with the basketball analysis and I'll defer the politics talk. But the fall of the Soviet Union happened a few months back, before the Winter Olympics and they were called the Unified Team, not the Soviet Union, it lost a lot of its luster from just the name change alone. Then add the fact that many of the better USSR were from Lithuania, who competed separately from the Unified Team, which the US crushed in the semis and you could say the big, bad, US bullied the brand new country who barely had its own government set up.

Nevertheless, a unified Soviet Union or Yugoslavia (Vlade briefly speculates if he and his Serb teammates were the missing link in his 30:30) would have been crushed and the actual basketball was obviously not compelling- if you took out the politics and recent Olympic history. It was the biggest slam dunk gold medal in the history of the Olympics- Summer or Winter. The rest of the world's best caught up to our C and D teams and we smack them back down for about a decade. It was like setting NBA Live on rookie difficulty. JMO.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:04 pm

While the world in general was not near as competitive with us as it has been since (particularly since mid 2000s) what our best did to their best individually was ridiculous. What I remember most was how Jordan embarrassed Marcilonis from Lithuania. Not too mention the fact that the Dream Team didn't have the real Magic or real Bird.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:06 pm

OK, sports forum - I apologize to the far righties who think Ronnie belongs on Rushmore (although ironically he could never win the GOP primary process as he violated Norquest's pledge & he was a social moderate, but I digress).

The point that elude the prickly one is that America was still very polarazied in the Cold War when the 88 team went down in a punkish manner, and we were up for an ass kicking.

In 2008 it was just about basketball. yawn.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Squints wrote:Thanks for that tip eye, I'll be sure to check it out. JB is spot on with the basketball analysis and I'll defer the politics talk. But the fall of the Soviet Union happened a few months back, before the Winter Olympics and they were called the Unified Team, not the Soviet Union, it lost a lot of its luster from just the name change alone. Then add the fact that many of the better USSR were from Lithuania, who competed separately from the Unified Team, which the US crushed in the semis and you could say the big, bad, US bullied the brand new country who barely had its own government set up.

Agree. The build up didn't match the show up of the rooskies. But the dream team was all about the build up IMO.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm

FUDU wrote:Jb is right, the concept of the Dream Team was for the most part a big ole "suck my dick" from the U.S.

That was a very fun time to be an NBA fan. Stars aligned for that unmatched collection of talent.

Yep, FUDU gets it.

Concept eludes the apolitical apathetic hipster.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

jb wrote:
FUDU wrote:Jb is right, the concept of the Dream Team was for the most part a big ole "suck my dick" from the U.S.

Yep, FUDU gets it.

Concept eludes the apolitical apathetic hipster.

SD:

No Doubt.

Barkley was the enforcer and set the tone , no prisoners and no let up and it went for all they played .

It was Will Robinson and runaway robot death to them all programming , Crush Kill Destroy , rinse rather repeat until their were no more.

We put them mutha Fucka's back in their place.

Recognize .

This was no game , we are the damn game.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Was that the Olympics Kukoc was in or was it 96?

Was it Pippen that schooled him?

FUDU

Unread postby Squints » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:41 pm

jb wrote:
Agree. The build up didn't match the show up of the rooskies. But the dream team was all about the build up IMO.

Don't get me wrong, as a 15 year old I pretty much had SD's take. I was into it from the Tournament of the Americas through the gold medal game, but after the first two prelim games I lost that hard core interest because it was just non-competitive. I remember in one of the games there were three dream teamers around the basket, opponents just watching them, and they passed the basketball to each other because no one wanted to score. Like playing Madden on rookie level.

My take now is admittedly in hind-sight with 20 years of reflection and you are right about the build-up being greater. I have the dvr set on NBA TV for 1030 tonight.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm

FUDU wrote:Was that the Olympics Kukoc was in or was it 96?

Was it Pippen that schooled him?

Sir Charles reflects here

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/halloffame10/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=100812-dreamteam

and it came in the form of Toni Kukoc of Croatia, who had been offered a multimillion dollar contract by the Chicago Bulls at a time when they were refusing to renegotiate the contract of Pippen, who was earning a relatively paltry $770,000.

In a story that has become famous in the years since, Jordan followed up Daly's pregame speech by telling the rest of the locker room that he and Pippen would be the only ones defending Kukoc that day. They held him to four points on 2-for-11 shooting with seven turnovers in a 33-point victory before beating the Croatians again, by 32, in the gold-medal game.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:46 pm

For those of you that missed it:

http://www.whudat.de/nba-tv-the-dream-t ... ry-online/

Its from a German website, but just scroll to the bottom and click play!
“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.”
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA