Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Measuring Heights with Shoes

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Measuring Heights with Shoes

Unread postby rk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Can someone explain to me why the NBA has two height measurements? With shoes and without shoes?

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... os=0&sort=

It would appear that Beal is 6'3.25". That is his actual height.

For some reason the NBA also gives us his height with shoes. Suddenly Beal is 6'4.75".

So Beal says he measures in at 6'4 and the sports world happily reports that. But he isn't. He's only 6'3. What's more I have no idea what a 'good' height is in the NBA because I don't know what they use historically or how tall some of the current players are.

Now I'm not really that worried about whether Beal is 6'3 or 6'4 (I was worried early on that he might be closer to 6'2). But I find this infuriatingly strange. This is arguably the dumbest measurable in any kind of collective effort of getting measurable comparables. Even having linemen run a 40yd dash in the NFL combine makes more sense than this.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: Measuring Heights with Shoes

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:31 pm

I'll bet Gene Simmons had a big differential.

Not to mention Pee Wee Herman when he worse his "gamers."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 pm

leadpipe wrote:I'll bet Gene Simmons had a big differential.

Not to mention Pee Wee Herman when he worse his "gamers."

PeeWee got used to wearing high shoes hanging in adult theaters. Lots of ick there you definitely don't want to be in sandals.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is a fairly new development.

The 2 measurements used to be with/without the afro. But when Jordan, Garnett, Allen, et al. popularized the bald dome it became mostly redundent. In looking for a meaningful second measurement, using the shoes was the logical choice.

Greg Oden ruined the chances of the only seriously considered alternative.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I saw this too. The wierdest part, however, is the lack of uniformity in the "increase in height due to shoe" factor. Some guys must wear thicker soled shoes, I guess. We are seriously gonna call one guy taller than another because he wears a thicker shoe??
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby rk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:22 pm

OldDawg wrote:I saw this too. The wierdest part, however, is the lack of uniformity in the "increase in height due to shoe" factor. Some guys must wear thicker soled shoes, I guess. We are seriously gonna call one guy taller than another because he wears a thicker shoe??

I guess if some guys prefer a style of shoe that makes them a little taller vs. a style that makes them shorter it might help NBA GMs. Kinda like if a baseball player prefers a heavier bat to a lighter bat. But you'd think they have standard sizes so there isn't much of a difference in actual makeup of a shoe (material/height/etc). Otherwise there'd be some kind of race between manufactures to give the most advantage in shoes rather than what seems like just a continuous contest of style.

Thinking about it more maybe it's just to give a comp for their vertical jumps. Not like someone is gonna jump in bare feet. Still seems like a really odd measurement.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:48 pm

The shoe measurements are used far more universally in terms of historic measuring, what teams report for heights and variances between different combines.

They are provided to provide uniformity, whereas the shoeless mesaurements literally are reportedly used to make sure fools are rigging their shoes.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby southernflyer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Greg Oden ruined the chances of the only seriously considered alternative.

With or without knees? :hide:
southernflyer

Favorite Player: Face from the A Team
Least Favorite Player: David Delucci

Unread postby JJN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:35 pm

rk wrote:Can someone explain to me why the NBA has two height measurements? With shoes and without shoes?

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... os=0&sort=

It would appear that Beal is 6'3.25". That is his actual height.

For some reason the NBA also gives us his height with shoes. Suddenly Beal is 6'4.75".

So Beal says he measures in at 6'4 and the sports world happily reports that. But he isn't. He's only 6'3. What's more I have no idea what a 'good' height is in the NBA because I don't know what they use historically or how tall some of the current players are.

6'5 is a pretty average height for a shooting guard.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Ana ... ents-3953/

-Bradley Beal (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'8 wingpsan, 202 pounds) is almost a mirror image of the average SG in our measurements database (6'3.5 without shoes, 6'7.8 wingspan, 201 pounds). He matches up well with past shooting guard prospects like O.J. Mayo (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'6 wingspan, 200 pounds) and Maurice Ager (6'3.25 without shoes, 6'7.75 wingspan, (203 pounds). Much has been made of Beal as a potential Ray Allen type shooter, and Allen measured in at 6'5 without shoes on in 1996 as a point of reference.

I know that Eoy will go into a rage, but holy crap Drummond. 6'11.75 in shoes, 7'6.25 wingspan, and reportedly a 38" max vert. Crazy.

It will get a lot more interesting when the athletic testing numbers come out and things like that can be confirmed.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 pm

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 pm

JJN wrote:
I know that Eoy will go into a rage, but holy crap Drummond. 6'11.75 in shoes, 7'6.25 wingspan, and reportedly a 38" max vert. Crazy.

With a brain the size of a stegasaurus & heart the size of the pre-epiphanied grinch
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm

jb wrote:
JJN wrote:

With a brain the size of a stegasaurus & heart the size of the pre-epiphanied grinch

Remember Chris Washburn's measurables?

Whodathunk they'd be trumped by laziness and the fact he couldn't point out Mexico on a map.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA