Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Hunger Games (trailer added)

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: The Hunger Games (trailer added)

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:26 pm

peeker643 wrote:Did either of you see the movie first?

Just wondering if movie was turn off. I didn't see it though I liked the books. No plans or intentions to see it.

Book three ending was rushed. Couple unnecessary plot twists that don't add a single bit to the trilogy IMO and never actually provided Kat much motivation for her actions.

It was the violence of the books that got me past the teen angst. The concept was good, if not original (as someone mentioned LotF).

I did. Liked the movie just fine. Have more problems with it now that I've read the books, but as far as adaptions go it's pretty solid. Jennifer Lawrence is a great Katniss.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:09 pm

StewieG wrote:The movie was OK. It seemed to skip a lot of the angst, which was a plus in my book (and would have been tough to show considering it happens inside Katnis' head). IMO the series was made to be an "R" rated series. It won't happen, obviously, but I believe that would make it so much better.

As for the books...brutal. In a good way. The things that happen to those kids, and their resulting mental state struck me as very believable. That said, I wasn't nearly as high on the 3rd book as I was the 1st two.

Did ya think the ending was rushed?

Did ya think Kat responded with the vengeance you'd expect given what happened, and that it was the protection of that asset that got her into the Games to begin with?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

peeker643 wrote:
StewieG wrote:The movie was OK. It seemed to skip a lot of the angst, which was a plus in my book (and would have been tough to show considering it happens inside Katnis' head). IMO the series was made to be an "R" rated series. It won't happen, obviously, but I believe that would make it so much better.

As for the books...brutal. In a good way. The things that happen to those kids, and their resulting mental state struck me as very believable. That said, I wasn't nearly as high on the 3rd book as I was the 1st two.

Did ya think Kat responded with the vengeance you'd expect given what happened, and that it was the protection of that asset that got her into the Games to begin with?

It did feel a bit rushed at the very end (like when they got back to District 12). It also was a bit frustrating in being much more disjointed than the first 2 with Kat being much less mentally in-control.

But trauma messes people up. So it was believable.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Off the top of my head, the only thing that wasn't conveyed well in the movie was the nature of her relationship with Gale and that she was faking with Peeta while in the arena in order to garner public assistance. That wasn't clear at all.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Off the top of my head, the only thing that wasn't conveyed well in the movie was the nature of her relationship with Gale and that she was faking with Peeta while in the arena in order to garner public assistance. That wasn't clear at all.

So IOW the books were an awful and trite combination of The Running Man meets The Lottery as well that cynically uses kids killing kids as a means of marketing to kids?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:44 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Off the top of my head, the only thing that wasn't conveyed well in the movie was the nature of her relationship with Gale and that she was faking with Peeta while in the arena in order to garner public assistance. That wasn't clear at all.

So IOW the books were an awful and trite combination of The Running Man meets The Lottery as well that cynically uses kids killing kids as a means of marketing to kids?

What the books were was a good, quick read. Someone like you that is engrossed in Sarte and Shakespeare would probably be turned off by them. And I know you wouldn't waste time and money watching the movie no matter what.

I mean, I liked the books and STILL wouldn't pay discount theater prices to see some half-assed effort at turning it into a tween event. So I'm sure you didn't fall into that trap.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

What the books were was a good, quick read. Someone like you that is engrossed in Sarte and Shakespeare would probably be turned off by them. And I know you wouldn't waste time and money watching the movie no matter what.

I mean, I liked the books and STILL wouldn't pay discount theater prices to see some half-assed effort at turning it into a tween event. So I'm sure you didn't fall into that trap.

The one constant I always think of when I think of Peeker is a decent man who has standards and values. So I ask: Doesn't the whole premise make you vomit?

I got drug to the movie. It was turrble on so many levels.
jb

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Maybe rushed a little. But moreso I found reading it to be a chore. I won't say it was bad, I won't say it wasn't believable. Because I don't think either of those are true. But the book was much more about what the Capital and the games do to the psyche of its participants, and the atrocities of war (on both sides). Katniss' fiery determination is replaced for the most part by bouts of insanity. It felt a lot different from the other books. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

The one constant I always think of when I think of Peeker is a decent man who has standards and values. So I ask: Doesn't the whole premise make you vomit?

I got drug to the movie. It was turrble on so many levels.

What!!!!! You saw the movie!!!! Oh my God!!!!

It's 'Survivor' meets 'Death Race' meets some dopey teen drama show.

Standards and values angle, huh. I read a book. I wasn't raising dog fighting rottweilers. You forgave Vick his offense. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:44 pm

Not disparaging you for reading the book, Peeker. Not judeging. Just surprised it was ur bag, that's all. Whole concept creates revulsion in me.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:31 pm

jb wrote:

Spoken truly like someone that didn't read them.

My valuation of your opinion on entertainment is plummeting. I'm now pretty sure it was you that told me how much you loved The Beaver.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 pm

jb wrote:Not disparaging you for reading the book, Peeker. Not judeging. Just surprised it was ur bag, that's all. Whole concept creates revulsion in me.

That's a relief.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Have not seen the movie. Probably a good thing. I'll catch it when it comes out OnDemand.

We'll see how the GoT books turn out since I've watched the show.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Have not seen the movie. Probably a good thing. I'll catch it when it comes out OnDemand.

We'll see how the GoT books turn out since I've watched the show.

The books are still good, and they're more involved than the show.

But the show is a very good representation of them (especially the first season). Apparently the best way to adapt a book is to make essentially a 10 hour movie out of them.
Hikohadon

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture