Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Hunger Games (trailer added)

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Hunger Games (trailer added)

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:25 pm

So, have any of you lovely men read The Hunger Games trilogy? I held off for a long while because I was afraid, being in the YA section, it would be another Twilight and wanted nothing to do with it.

However, after having read enough about the plot I decided to give the first book a try. Read the entire thing in a single day. Did the same with the final two in the trilogy.

If any of you guys read and enjoyed the Harry Potter series, I suggest you give this one a go. It's not like HP at ALL though. Aside from the fact that it's in the YA section yet is very, very good, and I think a bit too violent and sadistic for young teenagers.

They're shooting the first film right now, to be released in March 2012. It stars Jennifer Lawrence as the main character, Katniss, Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Lenny Kravitz, Wes Bentley, Josh Hutcherson & Liam Hemsworth, among many other smaller characters. Co-written by Gary Ross (Big, Dave, Pleasantville, Seabiscuit, Tale of Despereaux) and the author Suzanne Collins herself. Directed by Ross (Pleasantville, Seabiscuit.)
Last edited by cozmeesah on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Re: The Hunger Games trilogy

Unread postby hiko » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Never heard of it. What's it about?
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Ways to pass time during dinner in Somalia?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:49 pm

It's set in a post-apocalyptic society in what used to be North America, now one large country called Panem. Consists of a Capitol in the middle (around where Denver is now) with 12 large districts surrounding it (they spread across entire continent.) Each district has a different trade that corresponds with it's location (i.e. District 12 is in the Appalachians hence coal mining is their industry, 11 is in midwest hence agriculture, etc.)

The government in the Capitol is oppressive, violent and cruel to the districts. Everything the districts produce is basically for the consumption of all the rich, gluttonous people in the Capitol. People in the Districts are starving, confined, and in many cases guarded by huge walls with armed guards. Several decades before these books are set, the 13 original districts started up a rebellion against the Capitol. But the Capitol staunched the rebels in Districts 1-12, and completely obliterated District 13, wiping it off the map.

To discourage future violence from rebellions and to demonstrate to the districts that not even children are beyond the reach of the Capitol's power, they created The Hunger Games. An annual televised event that they force all citizens of Panem to watch and celebrate. Sort of a real-life Survivor. Each year one female and one male aged 12-18 (no matter what their physical or mental state) from each district are chosen by lottery to compete in the Games. The 24 contestants (or "tributes") are taken to a large "arena" that the Capitol Gamemakers built. Can include mountains, oceans, huge forests, deserts, etc. Arenas are filled with weapons and numerous lethal traps that they've set for the players. They fight to the death all while trying to avoid these traps. The winner is the one that's not dead at the end.

The books focus on Katniss Everdeen, the 16-year-old female tribute from District 12, and everything she goes through.
cozmeesah

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks Coz. Never heard of this til you mentioned this so I turned on the Kindle yesterday and saw the first book for $5.

I'll read anything for $5 ;-) ;) :wink:

Thought it was good, finished it and enjoyed it, A bit heavy on the angst with the whole Gayle/Peeta thing but I'll get the 2nd one as well.

The whole concept was cool IMO. Now I'm determined to figure out what's edible in my backyard too. ;-) ;) :wink:

Are the 2nd and 3rd books a departure of any sort from Book1?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby cozmeesah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:Thanks Coz. Never heard of this til you mentioned this so I turned on the Kindle yesterday and saw the first book for $5.

I'll read anything for $5 ;-) ;) :wink:

Thought it was good, finished it and enjoyed it, A bit heavy on the angst with the whole Gayle/Peeta thing but I'll get the 2nd one as well.

The whole concept was cool IMO. Now I'm determined to figure out what's edible in my backyard too. ;-) ;) :wink:

Are the 2nd and 3rd books a departure of any sort from Book1?

Glad to hear you liked it, Peek. :)

Yeah, you have to kind of expect a bit of angsty/feelings type stuff in a YA book written by a woman. That same thing with Peeta/Gale goes throughout all three books. But doesn't really get any worse than in the first.

Semi-spoilers, so I'm putting them in white text:
Catching Fire (Book 2) is my favorite of the 3. It deals more with the aftermath of the Games and the Capitol's anger at Katniss. How they handle her and the sparks of rebellion that her actions in the Games caused. You really start to see even more how evil the Capitol is and how sadistic President Snow is.

Mockingjay (Book 3) is the rebellion book. The war. Katniss is sort of Joan of Arc in this one.

By the way, the casting will include:

Katniss - Jennifer Lawrence (photo as Katniss from Entertainment Weekly: HERE)
Peeta - Josh Hutcherson (was the son in The Kids Are All Right)
Gale - Liam Hemsworth (Thor (Chris)'s little clone brother)
Haymitch - Woody Harrelson
Effie - Elizabeth Banks
Caesar Flickerman - Stanley Tucci
Cinna - Lenny Kravitz
Seneca Crane (head gamemaker) - Wes Bentley (will have expanded role in film)
President Snow - Donald Sutherland
cozmeesah

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Just finished the last book today, on your recommendation. I really enjoyed them. The angst was really heavy in spots, and I thought the main character was kind of dense when it came to it, but overall I thought the concept was fascinating. The themes in the books, most notably about the nature of human beings, are not subtle.

I thought the first half of book 2 was a bit slow, but the second half more than made up for it. That was probably my favorite stretch of the series. I ended up finishing that one late the other night, and started the third as soon as I had free time yesterday.

And whenever I read dialogue by President Snow, I heard it in Malcolm McDowell's voice.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby cozmeesah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:54 am

Glad to see you guys liked it. :)

I can see how the angst can be a bit much to some guys, but really it's at least infused with the actual story. And compared to the crap that is Twilight, this angst is non-existent. :lmfao:
cozmeesah

Re: The Hunger Games (trailer added)

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:37 am

First full trailer premiered this morning:

Note: The actual score/soundtrack is being composed in a collaboration by Danny Elfman & T. Bone Burnett.
cozmeesah

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Watched the trailer on Rotten Tomatoes earlier today. Officially interested. Really like the girl from Winter's Bone.

What's the rating on this puppy? Hoping for some quality violence/gore come kill-or-be-killed time.
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm pretty into it, although I'm wary of a Harry Potter style cult developing that makes me throw up instead of seeing it.

Although I wouldn't have watched a Harry Potter movie even without the cult.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm pretty into it, although I'm wary of a Harry Potter style cult developing that makes me throw up instead of seeing it.

Although I wouldn't have watched a Harry Potter movie even without the cult.

We are all fully aware that you are way too cool to watch Harry Potter.

:cheers:
hiko

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 pm

hiko wrote:Watched the trailer on Rotten Tomatoes earlier today. Officially interested. Really like the girl from Winter's Bone.

What's the rating on this puppy? Hoping for some quality violence/gore come kill-or-be-killed time.

Will be PG-13. They can't go R or it will risk cutting out a lot of the fans.

The thing about this particular trailer is that it only shows footage from the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the film. Lionsgate purposely left the footage of the actual Games until future trailers. So as to not spoil everything at once.
cozmeesah

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Looks a lot like how I pictured it in my mind when reading. Sounds like a solid flick.
StewieG

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Agree with others, trailer looks pretty authentic.

Looking forward to this but really wish it would have lived up the book and made it R-rated. (Jennifer Lawrence not exactly being tough to look at...)
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 am

Just read book one.

Oustanding. As addicted to a book as I've been in a long time, in terms of wanting to keep reading it.

Like everyone else said, the Kat/Peeta angle was a little too heavy. But an amazing concept. Finished it last night and immediately bought the second one. Can't wait for the flick, although PG-13 is disappointing, if understandable.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 am

I actually just started reading it 2 nights ago.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:45 pm

swerb wrote:Finished it last night and immediately bought the second one. Can't wait for the flick, although PG-13 is disappointing, if understandable.

Yeah... gotta play to the tweens and Twilight dollars.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 pm

They can probably get plenty of gore mileage out of a PG13, provided they avoid language, T & A, and drug use.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

Can you guys post pics of you standing in line opening night with all the Tweens an Twighlight girls? It'll be amusing to say the least.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Can you guys post pics of you standing in line opening night with all the Tweens an Twighlight girls? It'll be amusing to say the least.

I've never read or seen any of the Twilight stuff, but I gotta say ... I am a little confused by all the parallels people make between the two, which I was actually totally unaware of until the last couple days, seeing some stuff online and rereading this thread.

Is the Hunger Games really considered like a teen girl thing?

Book was pretty brutal. Plot line is even more brutal. Movie looks sweet. Why the comps to Twilight and Harry Potter?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:47 pm

swerb wrote:Book was pretty brutal. Plot line is even more brutal. Movie looks sweet. Why the comps to Twilight and Harry Potter?

Because when you don't read/see anything that gets mass labelled "Teen", you group it all together and shun the whole damn thing as "uncool", probably from some kind of insecurity issue.

Rest easy, Swerb, one of the joys of being an adult is that you don't have to give a damn what anyone else thinks anymore.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I actually have heard nothing but good things about the books.

It's just the fact that you'll probably be standing in line opening night for the movie with the Twighlight crowd too.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:02 pm

I liked all of the books for the brutality and the betrayal and all of that. But I see parallels in the target demographic with this and Twilight, for sure.

It's teen angst and all that and a heavy dose of it. It's tolerable for me because of the brutality and the Survivor-esque element which I thought was a great idea.

I'd be surprised if the movies are close to the books in the brutality and psychological horror sense.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Yeah, the concept is amazingly cool. 24 people in a fight to the death massive outdoor battleground.

The Kat/Peeta thing was a little overblown, but not to Ben Affleck/Kate Beckingsale levels from the Pearl Harbor movie, where it ruins it. I actually thought it was an interesting addition to the plot and the ending.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm reading a series of books right now (The Pellinor) that I found in the Teen section of the library... today's chapter consisted of one kid infiltrating an army of brainwashed child slaves to try and find his captured friend/girlfriend. While trying to find out where she is held, he tries to avoid the punishments which they dole out, including being chained in the yard to be torn apart by the other children (without weapons), which is preferrable to the other punishment of being staked in the yard and allowed to live as you slide slowly down the pole.

All his efforts were for naught, though, since they already killed his girlfriend and dumped her corpse in a ditch.

"Teen" literature doesn't mean what it used to.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

^ read a lot of Babysitter's Club as a young boy
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah, really. Where was this shit when we were teens?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:01 pm

swerb wrote:Yeah, really. Where was this shit when we were teens?

After everyone realized the huge financial benefits of being part of the growing "Teen" or "Young Adult" literary market, tons of authors (some of them even good) jumped in. And all they had to do was remove the sex scenes (which usually come across as lame in literature anyway), remove the language (easy), and change their adult characters to 16-18 year olds (while changing nothing about the way they act).

Presto! Instant movie deal.

How much money did Rowling make off the Harry Potter series? She can probably buy one of the Carolinas if she wants.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Has anyone seen Battle Royale? It's a Japanese flick about a bunch of kids that have to kill each other. Pretty good flick.

I just started to read this because the trailer looked cool and because I like to read books bofre seeing a movie. The books are always better. Sounds like Hunger Games is pretty close to what happened in Battle Royale.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:17 pm

swerb wrote:Yeah, really. Where was this shit when we were teens?

"The Outsiders" was pushing the envelope when I was 13 or 14.

"That Was Then, This Now", "RumbleFish".... you know, the whole SE Hinton collection.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 pm

My thoughts on the book/movie.

From the brief snippets I have gathered the production team has worked to keep it as authentic as possible to the story. Obviously will eliminate the nudity but should be able to get away with some of the violence as some of it actually happens "off camera" if they stay remotely close the the 1st person account.

The beginning of the 2nd book was probably the most "tween" oriented because of the plodding to get the plot started. Those that know that book, know how quickly that turned around by the end of Catching Fire.

Definitely think it'll be prey for the Twilight-like crowd even though I can't imagine it even remotely turns out like those movies. I haven't read or seen a minute of it so I couldn't judge but I'll likely avoid any possibility of seeing it with suck a crowd. Just catch it when it makes pay per view or something.

As an aside, the 3rd book was disappointing to me. Was slapped together and rushed by Collins. Shame too because it had a lot of opportunity with the subject matter. Hated some of the decisions she took on it too.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 pm

noles1 wrote:As an aside, the 3rd book was disappointing to me. Was slapped together and rushed by Collins. Shame too because it had a lot of opportunity with the subject matter. Hated some of the decisions she took on it too.

I got that impression with the last 1/3 of it too. Especially one certain part that seemed completely forced and unnecessary.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:
noles1 wrote:As an aside, the 3rd book was disappointing to me. Was slapped together and rushed by Collins. Shame too because it had a lot of opportunity with the subject matter. Hated some of the decisions she took on it too.

I got that impression with the last 1/3 of it too. Especially one certain part that seemed completely forced and unnecessary.

Yep, hated couple of the parts (sure we are thinking the same). One of those situations where I'd be comfortable with the movie taking a few of their own liberties. Actually doubt many that read the book would mind all that much.
noles1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:16 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Has anyone seen Battle Royale? It's a Japanese flick about a bunch of kids that have to kill each other. Pretty good flick.

I just started to read this because the trailer looked cool and because I like to read books bofre seeing a movie. The books are always better. Sounds like Hunger Games is pretty close to what happened in Battle Royale.

I liked that book better when it was named Lord of the Flies.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
swerb wrote:Book was pretty brutal. Plot line is even more brutal. Movie looks sweet. Why the comps to Twilight and Harry Potter?

Because when you don't read/see anything that gets mass labelled "Teen", you group it all together and shun the whole damn thing as "uncool", probably from some kind of insecurity issue.

Rest easy, Swerb, one of the joys of being an adult is that you don't have to give a damn what anyone else thinks anymore.

Did you send Lee the memo?

BTW, I thought this was about playing eerie meenie minie mo at the Lube buffet.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Has anyone seen Battle Royale? It's a Japanese flick about a bunch of kids that have to kill each other. Pretty good flick.

That was filmed in nanking in about ' 31 wasn't it?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mitch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I'm reading a series of books right now (The Pellinor) that I found in the Teen section of the library... today's chapter consisted of one kid infiltrating an army of brainwashed child slaves to try and find his captured friend/girlfriend. While trying to find out where she is held, he tries to avoid the punishments which they dole out, including being chained in the yard to be torn apart by the other children (without weapons), which is preferrable to the other punishment of being staked in the yard and allowed to live as you slide slowly down the pole.

All his efforts were for naught, though, since they already killed his girlfriend and dumped her corpse in a ditch.

"Teen" literature doesn't mean what it used to.

It may not be "teen", but it does concern kids.

You wanna get your sock knocked off by sci-fi dealing with children, in this case the hero is 6 or 7 when the book starts, check out Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game", about genius kids sent to a space station playing "battle games" which is actually teaching them to be generals in a space war.

To the topic...I've gotta say I'm pretty geeked about Hunger Games as well. First and foremost because I think Jennifer Lawrence is and incredible actress. (see also; Winter's Bone)
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 pm

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1218163p1.html

This is an article on why someone thinks it will make a good movie, but really it acts as a good primer to fill yourself in on the backstory (or remind yourself). It touches on the setting, the plot, and the main characters without getting too spoilery.
StewieG

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:46 am

So, you guys gonna get out your bow and arrows, grab your "games garb" and get in line with all the tween tonight for Games?!?!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:00 am

e0y2e3 wrote:So, you guys gonna get out your bow and arrows, grab your "games garb" and get in line with all the tween tonight for Games?!?!

Where you think I am right now?

TEAM GALE!!!!!

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 am

Can I bring my crossbow? Any ol' excuse to walk around in public with a weapon.
Hikohadon

Unread postby comish » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:37 pm

The movie was...

Ok

Not great, certainly not bad, just ok.

Very difficult to take a book written in 1st person narrative and translate all of the internalizing by the main character externally to the big screen.

I know they wanted to keep the rating at PG 13, but damn I was hoping for a little more violence.

It was ok
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby aclayman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:19 pm

I guess this was briefly mentioned already, but if you're looking for a more brutal and less teeny bopper version of essentially the exact same story line, the Japanese movie Battle Royale is fuckin' fantastic. Came out about a decade ago and was based on a book, as well. The Hunger Games writer has claimed she had never heard of the book or movie, which is certainly possible, cuz the story is hardly wildly original anyway. But anyway, by no coincidence, Battle Royale just got a new DVD re-release this week, so check it out.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Went to a 2 p.m. showing yesterday, hoping there wouldn't be many truants skipping school to see Katness & friends. (There were still 30 or 40 in that showing.)

Movie sorta blah. Jennifer Lawrence did as much as she could with the material. Direction pretty much sucked: widescreen shakycam for the first 20 minutes that drove me nuts. Way too many extreme close-ups—for no good reason.

Leaving the theater at 4:45 (Middleburg Heights Regal), there were a couple-three hundred teeny-boppers lined up outside, in the lobby and at the candy counter.

Overhyped—but it'll pay off for the studios. Could be a $150 million weekend.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Did you send Lee the memo?

BTW, I thought this was about playing eerie meenie minie mo at the Lube buffet.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... s+%26+Buzz)

<-- was right many months ago
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am

Finished book one and 2/3 of the way through book 2. Which says a lot. I only made it half way through the Dragon tattoo series. Either the books are good, or I'm so burned out that anything non-school will hold my attention.

I do like them.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Finished book one and 2/3 of the way through book 2. Which says a lot. I only made it half way through the Dragon tattoo series. Either the books are good, or I'm so burned out that anything non-school will hold my attention.

I do like them.

Yeah, my daughter had them and I kind of casually started glancing through and next thing I knew was up half the night reading it.

The books are a lot more harsh than I expected. If they put all the gore in, they would easily get an "R", especially the 3rd book.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Did either of you see the movie first?

Just wondering if movie was turn off. I didn't see it though I liked the books. No plans or intentions to see it.

Book three ending was rushed. Couple unnecessary plot twists that don't add a single bit to the trilogy IMO and never actually provided Kat much motivation for her actions.

It was the violence of the books that got me past the teen angst. The concept was good, if not original (as someone mentioned LotF).

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:51 pm

The movie was OK. It seemed to skip a lot of the angst, which was a plus in my book (and would have been tough to show considering it happens inside Katnis' head). IMO the series was made to be an "R" rated series. It won't happen, obviously, but I believe that would make it so much better.

As for the books...brutal. In a good way. The things that happen to those kids, and their resulting mental state struck me as very believable. That said, I wasn't nearly as high on the 3rd book as I was the 1st two.
StewieG

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture