Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Euro 2012/CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Euro 2012/CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 pm

If there was a thread about CSU basketball, there might as well be one for this. Combine the two because there are just a few of us around here that would bother to tune this in.

The US begins qualifying Friday in their Abercrombie & Fitch inspired uniforms. Looked so-so in three tune-up matches. Great against Scotland. Out-classed against Brazil, but I do think they played better than the final score indicated, but Brazil is Brazil and the US is the US. Looked bored against Canada and it showed as the match was even more boring than the 0-0 final score would indicate. Which is concerning because it was the first game that Dempsey and Donovan played the majority of the game together. They should breeze into the final group, but they do seem to play down to the competition.

Euro '12 begins Friday. An English colleague of mine says that this is the second most important tournament to the Euros and some would say it is the most competitive top to bottom tournament in the world. As the middle of the back Euro teams are better than the Asian, African and CONCACAF teams that make the Cup. Eastern Hemisphere bias of course. Should be an interesting watch, if you are in to soccer that is.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Euro 2012/CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 am

England, somehow, are fourth favourites and now ranked sixth in the world. If we do well, or even win the tournament, it is going to be due our defense. We don't have the players to play an attacking style and score 3 goals in a game, and with Lampard injured I don't see where our goals will come from in midfield, so we are relying heavily on our forwards who, apart from Andy Carroll, are all the same player.

It's going to have to be a case of 1-0 to England if we are to win games in this competition. The defenders have to hold the opposition to 1 goal or less. Luckily we have one of the best defenses in the world (despite the injuries) and the best goalkeeper.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:11 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:England, somehow, are fourth favourites and now ranked sixth in the world. If we do well, or even win the tournament, it is going to be due our defense. We don't have the players to play an attacking style and score 3 goals in a game, and with Lampard injured I don't see where our goals will come from in midfield, so we are relying heavily on our forwards who, apart from Andy Carroll, are all the same player.

It's going to have to be a case of 1-0 to England if we are to win games in this competition. The defenders have to hold the opposition to 1 goal or less. Luckily we have one of the best defenses in the world (despite the injuries) and the best goalkeeper.

Cahill broke his jaw in a few places last Saturday night against Belgium as well. That was a nasty play. BTW, not sure too many teams pass the ball as elegantly as Belgium only to be about the worst and most reluctant shooting team I've ever seen.

Anyway, the Cahill injury was bad enough. The controversy it created in his replacement is even better ;-) ;) :wink: Appears the John Terry race issues continue to plague the English.

Germany-Spain would be fine, if not expected.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:20 am

Germany should be the clear cut favorites.

They are probably the most balanced team in the world at this point. Spain will sorely miss Puyol who is the heart and soul of that team. The only "weakspot" that Germany has, is that one of the wingback positions wont be "offensiv" enough to complement the style of total soccer that Germany has come up with to counter the recent spanish inquisition into the top realms of the soccer stratosphere.

One of the wingbacks (depending on what side Loew will play Lahm) will be a centerback (most likely Jerome Boateng) and although he's quick and athletic for a centerback, I fear that he'll be exploited against quicker wingers like Theo Walcott or Wesley Sneijder. But with the best goalie in the world between the posts it shouldn't be too big of a problem unless Germany can't score.
“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.”
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:38 am

Looking for some live countries to lay some futures $ on.

Holland looks tasty at 7-1. Also likely to lay $20 on Portugal at 21-1.

England at 10-1? Italy at 15-1?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:England, somehow, are fourth favourites and now ranked sixth in the world. If we do well, or even win the tournament, it is going to be due our defense. We don't have the players to play an attacking style and score 3 goals in a game, and with Lampard injured I don't see where our goals will come from in midfield, so we are relying heavily on our forwards who, apart from Andy Carroll, are all the same player.

Cahill broke his jaw in a few places last Saturday night against Belgium as well. That was a nasty play. BTW, not sure too many teams pass the ball as elegantly as Belgium only to be about the worst and most reluctant shooting team I've ever seen.

Anyway, the Cahill injury was bad enough. The controversy it created in his replacement is even better ;-) ;) :wink: Appears the John Terry race issues continue to plague the English.

Germany-Spain would be fine, if not expected.

Jermain Defoe has left the camp too after the death of his father.

The thing that irks me about the Cahill injury is that it was a friendly and the yet the Belgian player, blatently, pushed him into Joe Hart in order to gain an advantage on goal in a meaningless game.

Anyway yes England have a more powerful curse on them than Cleveland.

I can't believe how Belgium failed to qualify for the Euros with the players they have. I don't remember what their group looked like but with players like Kompany, Fellaini, Dembele, Hazard, Vermaelen, Mignolet etc they should be in there.
They may be worth a sneaky bet for the next World Cup.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:05 am

John Terry is a despicable human being. He is more at home among the Polish 'Ultras' giving fascist salutes and shouting anti-Semitic filth and making monkey noises rather than representing a great country in a prestigious sporting event.

I hate the man, I hope he gets a prison sentence.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:11 am

swerb wrote:Looking for some live countries to lay some futures $ on.

Holland looks tasty at 7-1. Also likely to lay $20 on Portugal at 21-1.

England at 10-1? Italy at 15-1?

Dont put money on Portugal. I doubt they'll even make it into the knockout rounds.

Holland could sursprise but their defense wont be good enough. I cant see them making the finals. Also they have Robben. Dont think i've ever seen a player of his caliber chocke more than he has:

- World Cup Finals '10: twice he had a one on one with the keeper on a counter attack and missed.

- Bayern vs Dortmund league game '12: missed a crucial penalty in the 85th minute and also missed scoring on an quasi empty goal from 5 ft away in the 90th minute. The loss gave Dortmund the league title.

- Champions league final '12: Need I say more?

Italy has adopted a new playing style. They wont play as defensive as they used to plus all of the over-35 bums are gone. They should make some noise, especially if they beat Spain on Sunday.

If you want to put money on an underdog i'd say Italy.

And England, well it's England...
“Chaos is what we've lost touch with. This is why it is given a bad name. It is feared by the dominant archetype of our world, which is Ego, which clenches because its existance is defined in terms of control.”
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am

I concur with the Italy wager, although I hold Holland in higher esteem and thing they are more worthy of a punt.
Never bet on England

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:39 am

France could surprise as well depending on whether or not they've finally gotten their shit together. A french friend of mine says that Blanc has made huge strides with the team. He's already won the Euro and World Cup as a player so he knows what it takes to win. Might wanna keep an eye on them.
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 am

France certainly do have exciting players going forward like Ribery, Ben Arfa, Malouda, Nasri but I have doubts over their defense. Certainly a team to watch and I would fancy them as a dark horse in the next World Cup.

France are a team that are relatively young and look good on paper (like England 4-12 years ago) but need to deliver on the pitch.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:00 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:France certainly do have exciting players going forward like Ribery, Ben Arfa, Malouda, Nasri but I have doubts over their defense. Certainly a team to watch and I would fancy them as a dark horse in the next World Cup.

France are a team that are relatively young and look good on paper (like England 4-12 years ago) but need to deliver on the pitch.

Id take france's defense over Hollands, hands down. Their starters Evra, Koscielny and Clichy are battle-tested stars in one of the toughest leagues of the world. Lloris isnt bad either.

Hollands defense is a joke. The team is built for one thing: speed. Their defender are tiny and wont be able to physically dominate anyone unless de Jong channels his inner Chuck Norris again. If they cant score 3 goals a game I think they're in trouble. They'll hit a brick wall once they play against teams with a competent defense. Id bet more money on Holland not making it to the finals.
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 am

Euro 12 is a prime example of why the "WatchESPN" App may be one of the the best apps since Angry Birds. I can't wait to see how badly my work suffers in the next couple of weeks.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 am

I have a bad feeling about tomorrow's Poland game. We could see the ugly side of football from the very first game.

http://gmosoccerblog.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -hate.html

I do believe that the problem was overblown somewhat, but there is no doubt that ther eis a serious problem over there and it will be seen by viewers, and foreign supporters over in the Ukraine and Poland, during this tournament.
The most shocking part of the documentary was not actually the violence and racism because that is nothing new, the mass involvement in the actions - 2,000 fans in unison displaying the Fascist salute - is quite disturbing, but the most shocking thing is the lack of awareness of their own history. Revering Hitler and the Nazis shows the Poles to be ignorant and unsympathetic to the suffering of not just the Jews of Poland, who were all but exterminated, but also of their own countrymen and women who were considered sub-human by the Nazis and, after the Jews and Hungarians, had the highest numbers of deaths in the extermination camps.

Another mind-boggling thing was the Ukranian government minister completely dismissing the evidence he was shown. He even asserted that the 2,000 people adopting the Nazi salute were merely 'pointing at the opposition.'

I think there are almost certainly going to be unsavoury incidents during the games and I believe a game or two may even be abandoned and/or players may walk off the pitch due to racist abuse from the fans. I also worry for foreign supporters travelling to these countries.

Poland's hooligans have already said that they will target German and English fans at this tournament and if these 'Ultras' can attack their own fans at domestic games, simply because they are Asian, then I don't hold much hope for the rest of them.

I really do hope that the football is all we are talking about for the next 2 weeks

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 pm

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

I look at all the groups in Euro 12, and I could not see USA making it out of one of them , even group A.

When people ask me about the quality of USA soccer, I tell them to watch a competition like the Euro's. Its a whole different game.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Gov, did you happen to catch any of the Brazil/US match last week? It's your point exactly. They looked over-matched and out-classed, and I still think they played better than the final score indicated- there was a penalty shot and a goal in the 88th minute I believe and the US had a couple shots at different times hit the cross bar.

The problem with the US is that they don't need to go the extra mile to get better. They play in the worst qualification field. It's them, Mexico and a bunch of third world Caribbean and Central American countries. They get three auto slots and a play-in for a fourth. They'll make the cup every time- hope for a good draw and some luck--> a own-goal here ('94), a butterfingered goalie (sorry BP), a pull-it-out-of-there-ass counter attack to win the group, etc.. Getting to the quater-finals would be about their extent, but Dempsey and Donovan have to find there groove together, Michael Bradley needs to be more involved and Tim Howard needs to stay in world-class form.

BP- I learn so much from your posts, thanks and keep it coming. You are right about Terry, he and others too, make Chelsea undesirable to root for especially after pulling the Champs League title out of their ass and ruining my boy Friedel's chance to get in the CL- the Spurs have themselves to blame as much as Chelsea, but that's another conversation for another day. As for Euro, I'm in for Italy, they aren't the favorite but its my country.
Squints

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:17 am

And so it begins http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736
Holland's black players subjected to isolated racist chanting during an open training session (just during a training session?!!?!?!?! Imagine what it will be like at a game with a crowd of 40-70,000.)

In other news, after being linked to grand names like Claudio Ranieri, Ralf Rangnick and Andre Villa-Boas, West Brom decide to appoint as their new Head Coach...Steve Clarke

Underwhelming after holding interviews with the aforementioned coaches but he does have a brilliant resume as an assistant coach at Liverpool and Chelsea (under Jose Mourinho)

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Poland look lively. If Greece don't get their shit together they could get a drilling

1-0 in the 26th minute

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Dramatic opening game

1-1 in to 70th minute; two players sent off and Greece missed a penalty

Unbelievable!

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:38 pm

And Greece have a goal disallowed for offside.

This game has set the tone for a fantastic 2 weeks

Most opening games are drab and boring with both teams playing not to lose (which is how Greece started the game) but this one has been non-stop drama.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 pm

!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:!!!

Love the style NED plays but I'm all for an upset or two early on.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Like someone said before. Holland's defense is just too average and they are so vulnerable to the counter-attack. Better teams, like Germany in their next group game, will carve them wide open.

RvP is having a nightmare in front of goal. Poor first touches and not hitting the target. Huntelaar must be pretty pissed on the bench, since he was dropped. van Persie had an historic club season but Huntelaar was a beast for Holland in their qualifiers.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:12 pm

It's only a matter of time before Holland score. 20 attempts on goal and it's only the 52nd minute; they've hit the post, seen the ball go agonisingly wide, and forced Krul into some good saves.

If Holland don't win this game, put me down as saying they won't qualify for the knock out stage; this game is just THAT big.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Always interesting watching an attacking 4-3-3 try and run out the clock too.

Holland has about 10 minutes to Manchester City this one or they're in trouble.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:53 pm

One of the best teams on the planet just lost their gimme game to a long shot and still have their two toughest games left.

And they didn't look like they had a huge sense of urgency to press the issue in those final ten minutes.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:56 pm

Holland are out if you ask me; their only chance is for Germany to beat Portugal in the second game of the day and then beat Portugal themselves in their final game (they will likely need a decent result against the Germans later next week too.) Portugal and Germany will dispatch Denmark with ease.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Holland are out if you ask me; their only chance is for Germany to beat Portugal in the second game of the day and then beat Portugal themselves in their final game (they will likely need a decent result against the Germans later next week too.) Portugal and Germany will dispatch Denmark with ease.

Looking forward to Nani and Ronaldo vs. the Germans. Look forward to it even more if Portugal had a finisher like Gomez. Germany is freaking loaded.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:39 pm

3-1 Germany

Portugal are so over-rated
they can create chances and they have Ronaldo but I think if they come out of this group they will need a bit of luck. (I'm not bitter or anything :p)

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Ended up betting ...

$30 to win $450 on Italy (15-1)
$30 to win $390 on England (13-1)
$20 to win $400 on Portugal (20-1)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Had Portugal played with the same sense of urgency the first 85 minutes as they did the last ten that may have been a different game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:42 am

Not impressed with the Germans in that game.

Gomez is a fantastic player though.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:52 am

Russia 2018 should be interesting then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18384689

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:19 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro20 ... abuse.html

Can't say I'm surprised by the Spanish. They are the most degenrate fans, when it comes to football and race, in western Europe. It was only a few hundred but surely that's more than enough for the stewards or authorities to do something.
It's quite clear that the Ukraine and Poland don't think there is a problem and are ignoring any incident to reinforce that viewpoint. They don't want to acknowledge their backwardness in attitude.

There was more fighting following the Ireland game too, but then again drunken Irishmen involved in a punch-up is nothing out of the ordinary :p

I can see there being problems with today's England - France game. Both teams have many black players in their squad and England will likely have 5 in their starting XI.

I worry for the games where France and England have to play the Ukraine IN the Ukraine. That might be the first encounter where the racist chanting and vile noises will be perceptible to TV audiences. I worry

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:I worry for the games where France and England have to play the Ukraine IN the Ukraine. That might be the first encounter where the racist chanting and vile noises will be perceptible to TV audiences. I worry

Not to be a dick, but maybe that's what the sport needs to wake up regarding the issue. To be embarrassed internationally might provide the wake up call.

You don't want to see it happen to anybody but perhaps the short term pain leads to long term gain.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 am

peeker643 wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:I worry for the games where France and England have to play the Ukraine IN the Ukraine. That might be the first encounter where the racist chanting and vile noises will be perceptible to TV audiences. I worry

Not to be a dick, but maybe that's what the sport needs to wake up regarding the issue. To be embarrassed internationally might provide the wake up call.

You don't want to see it happen to anybody but perhaps the short term pain leads to long term gain.

England will likely walk off the pitch if anything like that happens and of course FIFA, in their infinite wisdom, will punish the England team and the FA for such an action. God bless Michel Platini.

Ugh, anyone back to the football today.
The only way it will be entertaining is if England go down a goal to nil early and are forced to chase the game and play a more attacking syle. Otherwise they will be conservative and play on the counter.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Poland v Russia is going to be a good game. The history between the nations and the animosity between the fans will guarantee it.

Apparently there has already been trouble in Warsaw between the rival fans prior to the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18409776

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Look at that stupid "This is Russia" banner. Go home, Borsch eating scum.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:08 pm

The Russians should be kicked out of the tournament. The behavior of their low rent trash fans is beyond embarrassing.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The Russians should be kicked out of the tournament. The behavior of their low rent trash fans is beyond embarrassing.

And they beat us out to host the World Cup in 2018. But then the FIFA bosses made sure the WC didn't make it to England, or at least those who bribed the voters made sure of it.

If the Russian fans are involved in any more violent incidents then Russia should be docked points or, like you said, kicked out.

Great game to start today's football with a 3-2 win for Portugal (unfortunately)

Now it is time for the tastiest fixture of the competition so far. Holland v Germany

These two detest each other beyond belief. It is not even close to being a friendly rivalry.

I cannot wait

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Mario Gomez ist der beste. Ey Mann tötet die niederländische ganz allein.

GO DEUTSCHLAND!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby SpaceShuttleDoorGunner » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Hell of a game by Gomez. He could be one of the most complete strikers in the game right now due to his defensiv work. His only weakness is that if he doesn't get the ball in the box he can't create his own shot. If Germany could finally get some production out of the attacking wingers, look out.

Back to back big game by the German defense. Going into the tournamet I thought it might be thier weakness, yet everyone is playing at a worldclass level. Hummels reminds me of young Beckenbauer in his forward game. If Loew could get comfortable with the idea (against Portugal he was pissed that Hummels kept going forward) Germany could have a new weapon. In the Bundesliga Dortmund lets him do it regularly. He's very underrated when going forward with the ball.

The Germans are very humble about this win. Everybody is in the "we still got work to do mode". If this were the 80's-90's there would be shit talking for days. Good to see their heads are on straight.
SpaceShuttleDoorGunner

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am

Russia given suspended point deduction for their fans behaviour before and during both of their games so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18431163

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Italy alive, but needs to win and get help to advance after letting Croatia back in to tie the match. Haven't been too impressed with my brethren.

Also, Spurs fired Harry today. Obvious reaction to his flirtation with the England job all while the Spurs fell out of an almost guaranteed position to make the Champs League. Give me some analysis BP (or anyone else)- Will this break up the core of the team? It sounds like Bale and Modric were close to leaving anyway, does this secure it and what about the rest of the nucleus?
Last edited by Squints on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squints

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Friggen Italy tied. So many wide open shots, but they couldn't land any of them. Good game by Croatia. Next up is Ireland Monday. They need this game...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am

Italy need to beat Rep. of Ireland to advance (no matter what happens in the other game.)

I want Italy to advance but it would also be nice if the great travelling Irish support could ahve something to cheer about in this tournament.

Squints. The way I understood it was that Modric is all but gone. Whether Harry's departure changes that I don't know. It all depends on who they appoint as the successor as to whether there's an exodus of players. Ledley King, Bassong and Gallas have all been released (I wouldn't mind Albion taking a punt on the latter two.) and Bale, Van Der Vaart and Pavyluchenko could be attracted to bigger clubs.

Hopefully Spurs keep their core because it's nice to watch a pure footballing side play like they do, and see a new team in the mix for the top 4 places rather than the usual suspects.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Squints » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:56 pm

If Italy beats Ireland and Spain v.s. Croatia ends in a draw, then all three teams will have five points. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't it go to goal differential In that case Italy is even with Spain +4 and Croatia +2. Seems like they would have to win by three goals against Ireland unless Croatia/Spain doesn't end in a draw. Either way it will make for a great last day. I am particularly pumped for this game as it's 50% of me going up against 25% of me.

Thanks for the info on the Spurs. It seems to me that there is more movement in Euro football than the MLB at the trade deadline given the high quality of several leagues in Europe.
Squints

Unread postby Squints » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:26 pm

That was a helluva free kick by Sweden.

And as I type this, Walcott scores. This is shaping up to be a good one.
Squints

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:14 pm

How about Danny Welbeck's back heel to seal an England win!!! And he meant it! What a lad!!!!

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Next

Return to The Back Of The Net