Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Let me beat SD to the punch

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 am

We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am

jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


Not there ^^^^^ yet.

But I did hear part of an interview with him and thought, I do not remember a Browns QB in a long time that sounded like he knew what he was doing and understood the job. Which he did.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:01 pm

And apparently, we weren't that into RG3 anyway!

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/2343 ... -rg3-flynn

Also, i'm really not all that into Brooklyn Decker.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
User avatar
Gradysmanldy
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:23 pm

pup wrote:
jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


Not there ^^^^^ yet.

But I did hear part of an interview with him and thought, I do not remember a Browns QB in a long time that sounded like he knew what he was doing and understood the job. Which he did.


Agree with Pup.

I wanted the Browns to draft the guy, I like his potential, but I'll wait to get excited about him. That's just setting yourself up for pain.

Was watching NFL Total Access last night and they had a report from Berea and they showed Weeden throwing a bomb then Colt throwing what can only be described as a dead duck full of lead, and it just cracked me up. The difference is almost embarrassing. The only time I feel bad for Colt is that he has to stand there and realize he has no chance because he will never have the weapons Weeden has.

And, yeah, the interviews seem to be those of a veteran QB. It feels like this guy really knows what he's doing.

Whether or not that's the case is TBD.

So right now, the most love I can feel for Weeden is that he isn't Colt. Which is no small positive.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I agree with that Hiko. Bt I already drank the Weeden koolaid a while ago. And now I'm chugging it.

I just can't fucking help myself.

When does training camp open? I need to go start a "Super Bowl" chant.

What is wrong with me?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm fine wit7h that. Wait.

But I'm sick of the nattering nabobs of negativity being all "whaaaah! whaaahhhh!, we needed a WR!". Well that's like getting sweet ass rims and putting them on a 1997 Dodge Neon. Only in the Ohio valley, right? It's ass beckwards. This kid may not have run a pro offense, I mean, outside the Slack 10, and the Cogs of Jethro playing for Saban and the labotomized so-called athletes Miles trots out who really does anymore? The facts ar ethat Weeden has a plus arm; a top 5% arm for Sunday. He seems like he lerans quickly and has great size and his shit is together. Yeah, he'll struggle as a rook. Duh. But this is no Great White Dope they are trottig out there selling as the answer. This ain't yo momma's Chuckles, Lady Quinn, Dumbass Anderson or Shine Boy McCoy.

Recognize.

I'm fine being all in -- right now. Why the hell not?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I think that some felt (and not without good reason) that Weeden might have been there at 37 and that a WR should've been taken at 22. Whether or not there was a WR worthy of that selection is up to the FO.

Personally, I felt that you couldn't "fix" the Offense totally without getting an extra 1st/2nd round pick. They had 4 needs - RB, WR, QB, and RT - and only 3 picks. You can't count on the 3rd rounder to be a quality starter. So they just didn't have enough picks to fill all the offensive holes this year.

RB at the first pick, fine. A big need, he's better than Blackmon as a prospect, no way do you take one of the remaining QB's at #4, no way do you take a RT there.

2 picks left to fill QB, RT, and WR. RT is a MUST since you have NO ONE at that position. So one of those 2 picks HAS to be a RT.

So that 3rd pick - whether it's 22 or 37 - goes to either QB or WR.

Which makes a bigger impact on the team?

Additionally, if you take WR over QB there, then you run the risk of the offense being just good enough under Colt of winning too many games to get a Top 10 pick. And it's not easy to get a really quality QB outside of the Top 10 (unless he's 28, since I will proclaim to my dying day that Weeden is a Top 10 pick and the 3rd QB taken if he's 23).

But you can get a really quality WR where the Browns will likely be picking next year (somewhere between 5 and 15).

Now, if you want to argue that the Browns should've gone RB (4), WR (22), QB (37), RT (3rd round), sure, I'd listen to that. But the way the chips fell, I just don't have the big WR angst that some do.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Guy's our guy and that makes all of us all in for now. Just may lose the hand when all is said and done given you have a 29yr old (in October) with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.

That's a legit concern whether you're gulping kool-aid or not.

And not because it means anything, but just for a quirky bit of perspective, Bernie was designated as having diminishing skills at at Weeden's age and was sent a packing.

;-) ;) :wink:

No need to tell me how often he was hit. I was standing 25 yards away for the bulk of them. I'm just sayin'...
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.


From everything I've seen of him, this seems like a complete horseshit knock, since there's absolutely no QB that isn't affected by pressure and he certainly never looked as panicky as a Colt or a Gabbert.

But only time will tell, so let 'em keep inventing knocks. I give the guy a less than 50% success chance no matter what.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.


From everything I've seen of him, this seems like a complete horseshit knock, since there's absolutely no QB that isn't affected by pressure and he certainly never looked as panicky as a Colt or a Gabbert.

But only time will tell, so let 'em keep inventing knocks. I give the guy a less than 50% success chance no matter what.


So butt hurt when Weeden gets knocked. :lmfao:

It's being 'invented' and is all 'bullshit'? No QB may go unbothered under pressure. But they don't all react the same way. Or did DA and Brady respond in similar fashion when pressured, as all QBs are.
Whatever- I'm willing to bet if he fails it's mostly because he panics in the pocket or in crowds and makes mistakes with the football.

But we shall see one way or the other, regardless.


These were all pre-draft:

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-repo ... don-weeden
Needs to improve his feel of the pocket – the few times per game he was pressured, he had a tendency to drift and throw off his back foot.



Footwork breaks down at times, throws off balance too often...

Read more at Sideline Scouting: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/20 ... z1x2LEI3eU



http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272538
Negatives: Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches.Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when he is off-balance. Gets lazy with footwork at times; will flip balls into dangerous places. Pats the ball before throwing. Almost always works out of shotgun formation on passing plays. Fails to see blitzers, opening himself up to backside pressure. Tries to avoid pressure by throwing late over the middle. Old for a rookie at 28.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Hater :nanner:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I think that some felt (and not without good reason) that Weeden might have been there at 37 and that a WR should've been taken at 22. Whether or not there was a WR worthy of that selection is up to the FO.

Personally, I felt that you couldn't "fix" the Offense totally without getting an extra 1st/2nd round pick. They had 4 needs - RB, WR, QB, and RT - and only 3 picks. You can't count on the 3rd rounder to be a quality starter. So they just didn't have enough picks to fill all the offensive holes this year.

RB at the first pick, fine. A big need, he's better than Blackmon as a prospect, no way do you take one of the remaining QB's at #4, no way do you take a RT there.

2 picks left to fill QB, RT, and WR. RT is a MUST since you have NO ONE at that position. So one of those 2 picks HAS to be a RT.

So that 3rd pick - whether it's 22 or 37 - goes to either QB or WR.

Which makes a bigger impact on the team?

Additionally, if you take WR over QB there, then you run the risk of the offense being just good enough under Colt of winning too many games to get a Top 10 pick. And it's not easy to get a really quality QB outside of the Top 10 (unless he's 28, since I will proclaim to my dying day that Weeden is a Top 10 pick and the 3rd QB taken if he's 23).

But you can get a really quality WR where the Browns will likely be picking next year (somewhere between 5 and 15).

Now, if you want to argue that the Browns should've gone RB (4), WR (22), QB (37), RT (3rd round), sure, I'd listen to that. But the way the chips fell, I just don't have the big WR angst that some do.


QB + ORT almost infinately > than WR and QB in the present circumstance.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:Guy's our guy and that makes all of us all in for now. Just may lose the hand when all is said and done given you have a 29yr old (in October) with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.

That's a legit concern whether you're gulping kool-aid or not.

And not because it means anything, but just for a quirky bit of perspective, Bernie was designated as having diminishing skills at at Weeden's age and was sent a packing.


And Roger Stabaugh was a rookie and played until he was 38.

Unique circumstance. I can think of maybe 3 or 6 guys in his situation (depending on how one views the CFL) and all the natteringbaldknobs of negativity run to Chris Weinke as the example....

Tell you what. Don't ask me for a funckin' playoff ticket * , OKAY!!!!!



* - This threat pertains to the extrmeley unlikely set of circumstances that the Browns actuially mak ethe playoffs in the next 2 seasons or that I would, in fact, actually spring for one. Ipse hoc propter hoc all rights reserved if you or your family have won in the last 30 days you assume all risks of major league baseball and may not rebroadcast this post without the expressed, written permission of The Phist ex post facto right of primogenetuer.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.


From everything I've seen of him, this seems like a complete horseshit knock, since there's absolutely no QB that isn't affected by pressure and he certainly never looked as panicky as a Colt or a Gabbert.

But only time will tell, so let 'em keep inventing knocks. I give the guy a less than 50% success chance no matter what.


So butt hurt when Weeden gets knocked. :lmfao:

It's being 'invented' and is all 'bullshit'? No QB may go unbothered under pressure. But they don't all react the same way. Or did DA and Brady respond in similar fashion when pressured, as all QBs are.
Whatever- I'm willing to bet if he fails it's mostly because he panics in the pocket or in crowds and makes mistakes with the football.

But we shall see one way or the other, regardless.


These were all pre-draft:

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-repo ... don-weeden
Needs to improve his feel of the pocket – the few times per game he was pressured, he had a tendency to drift and throw off his back foot.



Footwork breaks down at times, throws off balance too often...

Read more at Sideline Scouting: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/20 ... z1x2LEI3eU



http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272538
Negatives: Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches.Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when he is off-balance. Gets lazy with footwork at times; will flip balls into dangerous places. Pats the ball before throwing. Almost always works out of shotgun formation on passing plays. Fails to see blitzers, opening himself up to backside pressure. Tries to avoid pressure by throwing late over the middle. Old for a rookie at 28.



Looks like our draft "expert" still can master the art of google and cut n paste.

:clap:
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I read the same thing from the scouty-types that you did. If you want to ape it, you go on with your bad self - we'll see soon enough.

All I'm saying is that I didn't see it, and I feel that just b/c a couple people opined that was a fault of his it somehow became urban legend.

That's not to say that I'm right or that it's not a fault, just that I heard about it but didn't see it from him in what I watched. Did I see him get affected by pressure? Yes. Did I see a QB that was more affected than any normal QB by pressure? No.

Of course, I didn't see what the scouty-types did in Blaine Gabbert either, so I bow to their superior acumen. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:with a knock of getting panicky in the pocket and in traffic.


From everything I've seen of him, this seems like a complete horseshit knock, since there's absolutely no QB that isn't affected by pressure and he certainly never looked as panicky as a Colt or a Gabbert.

But only time will tell, so let 'em keep inventing knocks. I give the guy a less than 50% success chance no matter what.


So butt hurt when Weeden gets knocked. :lmfao:

It's being 'invented' and is all 'bullshit'? No QB may go unbothered under pressure. But they don't all react the same way. Or did DA and Brady respond in similar fashion when pressured, as all QBs are.
Whatever- I'm willing to bet if he fails it's mostly because he panics in the pocket or in crowds and makes mistakes with the football.

But we shall see one way or the other, regardless.


These were all pre-draft:

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-repo ... don-weeden
Needs to improve his feel of the pocket – the few times per game he was pressured, he had a tendency to drift and throw off his back foot.



Footwork breaks down at times, throws off balance too often...

Read more at Sideline Scouting: http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/20 ... z1x2LEI3eU



http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272538
Negatives: Sails throws to either sideline; receivers make him look good with acrobatic catches.Back-foot throws are not accurate. Sometimes trusts his arm too much, trying to stick passes late in the play or when he is off-balance. Gets lazy with footwork at times; will flip balls into dangerous places. Pats the ball before throwing. Almost always works out of shotgun formation on passing plays. Fails to see blitzers, opening himself up to backside pressure. Tries to avoid pressure by throwing late over the middle. Old for a rookie at 28.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm

That's great and all, but where's our Head Coach?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6379
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:



Wait.

We drafted him at 22 and not 37?

Shit.

Nevemind.

We suck.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm

No. His poise in the pocket, his fearlessness in the face of an NFL rush and his production will overcome the suck.

I just want back in contention for one of your playoff tickets.

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:



Wait.

We drafted him at 22 and not 37?

Shit.

Nevemind.

We suck.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:I just want back in contention for one of your playoff tickets.



There was a disclaimer.

Like if I move back to Seattle before we smell the playoffs.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Being serious for a half-second.

One of the knowcks mentioned was his footwork.

What did the article mention he & the coaches addressed and was looking night and day better compared to jyst a week or so ago?

Throw me a fickin' bone, Scotty.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:


Was it every Scout that said that? No.

It was a couple Scouts that lemmings grabbed onto like it was gospel.

I'll believe what I see.

Your insistence to twist my words to support your agenda is a huge yawn, but I guess this place would be super-dead if we didn't manufacture some dissent.

I have worries/concerns about ANY player the Browns draft. I would put nice money on his eventual failure. But to puppet a party line that I myself don't see? I'll leave that to the butthurt.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:15 pm

jb wrote:Being serious for a half-second.

One of the knowcks mentioned was his footwork.

What did the article mention he & the coaches addressed and was looking night and day better compared to jyst a week or so ago?

Throw me a fickin' bone, Scotty.


Polarity blows.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't have skills or the ability to improve. I'm really not. I think his potential is clearly beyond McCoy. I think he's an upgrade in many ways and I have no interest in anything other than him getting the bulk of reps and the reins to the offense from Day 1.

But there are some concerns and when you hear from multiple (allegedly) informed sources that pressure in the pocket affected him that, to me, is like saying Matt LaPorta can fix the hole in the swing. Theoretically it's true. Realistically it's unlikely.

Could it be being overstated? Yes. Is it concerning to me? Yes. It's a big component of being successful as an NFL QB.

I also have no idea in the world whether the Browns coaches can be or will be effective in 'fixing' any issues (whatever they may be). Maybe now with a dedicated OC everyone can step back and do their job and do it better.

We're going to find out soon enough on all those things.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Image

:hide:

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:


Was it every Scout that said that? No.

It was a couple Scouts that lemmings grabbed onto like it was gospel.

I'll believe what I see.

Your insistence to twist my words to support your agenda is a huge yawn, but I guess this place would be super-dead if we didn't manufacture some dissent.

I have worries/concerns about ANY player the Browns draft. I would put nice money on his eventual failure. But to puppet a party line that I myself don't see? I'll leave that to the butthurt.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying.

Image

peeker643 wrote:Image

:hide:

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:


Was it every Scout that said that? No.

It was a couple Scouts that lemmings grabbed onto like it was gospel.

I'll believe what I see.

Your insistence to twist my words to support your agenda is a huge yawn, but I guess this place would be super-dead if we didn't manufacture some dissent.

I have worries/concerns about ANY player the Browns draft. I would put nice money on his eventual failure. But to puppet a party line that I myself don't see? I'll leave that to the butthurt.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:30 pm

:cheers:

Hikohadon wrote:Yep, that's exactly what I was saying.

Image

peeker643 wrote:Image

:hide:

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Meh.... I'm sure Weeden will be excellent back there.

No worries/concerns.

Scouts are morons for the most part. Unless their reports fit a pre-conceived agenda and my wishes, of course.

I'm sure the guy will be a steal at 22 and every team in the league will rue the day they passed him up or didn't offer more to move up and get him.

Am I back on the team? :nanner:


Was it every Scout that said that? No.

It was a couple Scouts that lemmings grabbed onto like it was gospel.

I'll believe what I see.

Your insistence to twist my words to support your agenda is a huge yawn, but I guess this place would be super-dead if we didn't manufacture some dissent.

I have worries/concerns about ANY player the Browns draft. I would put nice money on his eventual failure. But to puppet a party line that I myself don't see? I'll leave that to the butthurt.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm

peeker643 wrote::cheers:


Dammit, no! I found a whole bunch more butt-hurt pics that I like!

I'll tell you what DOES concern me... RDE, one DT, at least one LB, one CB, at least one Safety. In other words, the whole freakin' Defense.

I think increased Offensive production will demand that our opponents stop trying to run out the clock in the 2nd Quarter, and then the lack of playmakers on D will be more glaring.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote::cheers:


Dammit, no! I found a whole bunch more butt-hurt pics that I like!

I'll tell you what DOES concern me... RDE, one DT, at least one LB, one CB, at least one Safety. In other words, the whole freakin' Defense.

I think increased Offensive production will demand that our opponents stop trying to run out the clock in the 2nd Quarter, and then the lack of playmakers on D will be more glaring.


You're acting like we didn't sign Frostee Rucker.

We're fine.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I like cheese.

Wait . . . What are we talking about again?
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote::cheers:


Dammit, no! I found a whole bunch more butt-hurt pics that I like!

I'll tell you what DOES concern me... RDE, one DT, at least one LB, one CB, at least one Safety. In other words, the whole freakin' Defense.

I think increased Offensive production will demand that our opponents stop trying to run out the clock in the 2nd Quarter, and then the lack of playmakers on D will be more glaring.


You're acting like we didn't sign Frostee Rucker.

We're fine.



Laugh all you want, fuck face. Frostee is actually a very good run defender. But that means he'd be at LDE and maybe Sheard gets another shot at what is probably his more natural Sunsday position (outsiode of a true 5 tampa 2 DL scheme).

FO is pretty bullish on Bernard growing up and showing up in perfect RDE shape. Between that and the Philly old guy I think they have enough Chicken McNuggets for DE. The drafted kids better show something at DT and Heckert is really on the hook to nut up or shut up with Hughes. I'm really nervous about the CB opposite Joe.

In fact, if I had a list of "Oh Shit" positions, it'd go, in this order:

CB
RG
DT without Phil
WSOLB (assuming Gocong is SSOLB)
FS
FB


As we know, QB is all set.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 pm

justmebd wrote:I like cheese.

Wait . . . What are we talking about again?



We're talking about the fact that your take of Colt as being a victim rather than part of the problem is crap. ;-)
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:00 pm

jb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote::cheers:


Dammit, no! I found a whole bunch more butt-hurt pics that I like!

I'll tell you what DOES concern me... RDE, one DT, at least one LB, one CB, at least one Safety. In other words, the whole freakin' Defense.

I think increased Offensive production will demand that our opponents stop trying to run out the clock in the 2nd Quarter, and then the lack of playmakers on D will be more glaring.


You're acting like we didn't sign Frostee Rucker.

We're fine.



Laugh all you want, fuck face. Frostee is actually a very good run defender. But that means he'd be at LDE and maybe Sheard gets another shot at what is probably his more natural Sunsday position (outsiode of a true 5 tampa 2 DL scheme).

FO is pretty bullish on Bernard growing up and showing up in perfect RDE shape. Between that and the Philly old guy I think they have enough Chicken McNuggets for DE. The drafted kids better show something at DT and Heckert is really on the hook to nut up or shut up with Hughes. I'm really nervous about the CB opposite Joe.

In fact, if I had a list of "Oh Shit" positions, it'd go, in this order:

CB
RG
DT without Phil
WSOLB (assuming Gocong is SSOLB)
FS
FB


As we know, QB is all set.


After last year's experiment with Sheard at RDE, I think they just call him a LDE and be done with it. Frostee is in there as RDE on 1st and 2nd to stop run, they pray that Parker has something left in the tank or Benard shows something for 3rd down pass rush.

I hope so too, but we'll see. My gut tells me there isn't a complete RDE on this team, and you don't always get a chance for situational substitution.

Agree with the rest of your list, although I'm starting to get interested in this Hagg dude (for no justifiable reason) at FS.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby rk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:22 pm

jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


We have the same guy we drafted. Nothing has changed since April.

The question marks for Weeden is whether or not he can read NFL defenses and handle getting hit. Since every 'good' bullshit article about minicamp starts by mentioning him chucking the rock into a defenders hands I'm not exactly writing off concern number 1. And nobody is confusing anyone in our secondary for Ed Reed.

BQ looked like a real NFL QB in minicamp. There was something special about how the ball came out of DA's hands in minicamp. The accuracy and command of the huddle displayed in Colt's first minicamp were legend.

Talk to me when the kid gets hit.

Also Grossi is an asshat and whatever misreading rotoworld (and KSK too) did to change the headlines to 'Browns Think...' rather than 'Shitty opinion writer who got canned from a dreamjob because he's a jaded assclown who never knew much about football thinks...'. He has the same number of sources in the Browns FO as I do and his article is careful to never actually say what the Browns were thinking. Just what he assumes they were thinking.

Dude needs to just go to another town.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
User avatar
rk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm
Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:34 pm

rk wrote:Also Grossi is an asshat and whatever misreading rotoworld (and KSK too) did to change the headlines to 'Browns Think...' rather than 'Shitty opinion writer who got canned from a dreamjob because he's a jaded assclown who never knew much about football thinks...'. He has the same number of sources in the Browns FO as I do and his article is careful to never actually say what the Browns were thinking. Just what he assumes they were thinking.

Dude needs to just go to another town.


Funny, this occurred to me when reading his Weeden article today, since he trotted this out:

Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck? Ideal fits, to be sure … but unobtainable. Manning didn’t want to play here and the Colts weren’t stupid enough to trade the No. 1 pick.

Of the more realistic candidates, free agent Matt Flynn was no bigger than McCoy with a similarly popgun arm. He was never seriously considered.

Media darling Robert Griffin III also was too small. And too eager to show how fast he could run. The Browns never seemed all-in on Griffin. They pursued him just enough to say they tried.

Ryan Tannehill had the size and the arm, but his maturity as a quarterback and field leader were so lacking that he turned them off in personal interviews. He didn’t project as a leader.

So Brandon Weeden emerged as the best option. Great arm. Great size. Great production. And the very thing that scared off every other team – he’s a 28-year-old rookie because of a failed five-year stint in professional baseball – actually became an attraction to the Browns.


Uhhhh... Tony... where's ya get that from? There's "I think this is why they did what they did" and then there's stating something you pulled out of your ass as fact.

If you're gonna just make shit up, go big my man:

Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck? Ideal fits, to be sure … but unobtainable. Manning didn’t want to play east of the Mississippi and the Colts didn't pay their phone bills.

Of the more realistic candidates, free agent Matt Flynn was a Muppet like McCoy with a similarly popgun arm. He was never seriously considered.

Media darling Robert Griffin III also was too small. And too eager to show how to run a Ponzi scheme. The Browns never seemed all-in on Griffin because of his penchant for white-collar crime. They pretended they pursued him, but actually offered St. Louis picks to NOT trade.

Ryan Tannehill had the size and the arm, but the fact that he is actually dead turned them off in personal interviews. Zombies don't project as leaders.

So Brandon Weeden emerged as the only human option. Great arm. Great size. Great toothbrush. And the very thing that scared off every other team – he’s a former assassin that once ate a man's liver with a nice Chianti – actually became an attraction to the Browns.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:18 am

jb wrote:
justmebd wrote:I like cheese.

Wait . . . What are we talking about again?



We're talking about the fact that your take of Colt as being a victim rather than part of the problem is crap. ;-)

Zing!!!!!
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:21 am

rk wrote:
jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


We have the same guy we drafted. Nothing has changed since April.




Ur an idiot. Noone said lady Quinn looked good in any camp.

Reports are Weeds is picking up the O and coaching at a rapid rate an has improved every practice. Fastest learner since BK.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm

jb wrote:
rk wrote:
jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


We have the same guy we drafted. Nothing has changed since April.




Ur an idiot. Noone said lady Quinn looked good in any camp.

Reports are Weeds is picking up the O and coaching at a rapid rate an has improved every practice. Fastest learner since BK.


I was smarter at 30 than 20 as well.

Relatively speaking, anyway.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22711
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:08 pm

jb wrote:I'm fine wit7h that. Wait.

But I'm sick of the nattering nabobs of negativity being all "whaaaah! whaaahhhh!, we needed a WR!". Well that's like getting sweet ass rims and putting them on a 1997 Dodge Neon. Only in the Ohio valley, right? It's ass beckwards. This kid may not have run a pro offense, I mean, outside the Slack 10, and the Cogs of Jethro playing for Saban and the labotomized so-called athletes Miles trots out who really does anymore? The facts ar ethat Weeden has a plus arm; a top 5% arm for Sunday. He seems like he lerans quickly and has great size and his shit is together. Yeah, he'll struggle as a rook. Duh. But this is no Great White Dope they are trottig out there selling as the answer. This ain't yo momma's Chuckles, Lady Quinn, Dumbass Anderson or Shine Boy McCoy.

Recognize.

I'm fine being all in -- right now. Why the hell not?



SD:

OOh Ooh you bad , called the little Calf humper a shine boy .


Imagine the implications if i'd a siad that :)


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm

peeker643 wrote:I was smarter at 30 than 20 as well.

Relatively speaking, anyway.


True.

It's up to the individual if they want to spin that as a positive or negative.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4326
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Let me beat SD to the punch

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 pm

jb wrote:We have our quarterback. After many years and wandering in the desert, the promised land of a legit calibur NFL strating QB is nigh. And long after some wide receivers drafted at the end of round one are NFL footnotes you're gonna all be revising history at what a steal this guy was because he was 28.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/06/brandon_weeden_has_the_look_of.html


SD:

The only other buy that comes close is Wilson in the third , knock me over with a feather
if he's not starting for the crows by the end of the year.

More importantly in regards to our guy.

He has the act down pat , looks the part and talks the part .

Only thing that counts is if he can play the part .

Dude is the mulligan Randy talked about .

We finally have a shot to fix the problem , not the blame.


SoulDawg
SoulDawg74
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], ybot and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], ybot and 1 guest