Text Size

College Sports Arena

Almost Christmas Time!

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Almost Christmas Time!

Unread postby furls » Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am

Phil Steele's magazine (or bible if you will) comes out in a little over a week. I love it not just for the OSU stuff (which is OK, but I already know more about that team than Steele), but for the comprehensive review of every other relevant team.

That thing is a must read reference for any serious NCAAF fan.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Almost Christmas Time!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Meh.

It's ok.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Thu May 31, 2012 10:03 am

For a limited time (today?) you can download Phil Steele's Ohio State season preview from a link at this page:

http://www.philsteele.com/index.html

He's got them at #11.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 am

danwismar wrote:For a limited time (today?) you can download Phil Steele's Ohio State season preview from a link at this page:

http://www.philsteele.com/index.html

He's got them at #11.

From what I saw in the spring game that's too high.

They are a 4 loss team IMO, mainly due to a lack of passing game.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 am

I agree that #11 is too high, (but Steele has always been favorably disposed to the Buckeyes) I do think it's a bit premature to judge Urban Meyer's passing offense on the basis of 15 spring practices under a completely new regime and concept. He is Urban Meyer after all...they will be throwing the ball all over the yard. You say you watched the spring game, jb?

I mean, we get it...you're not a Braxton Miller fan. But the passing game will be light years better than last year, when they ranked 115th out of 120 FBS programs, in large part because they didn't let Braxton throw the ball more than a dozen times a game...and he was a true freshman in a Cro Magnon offense, playing without his only experienced receiver for the first 10 games.

All that said, I think they're a 3-loss team.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm

danwismar wrote:I agree that #11 is too high, (but Steele has always been favorably disposed to the Buckeyes) I do think it's a bit premature to judge Urban Meyer's passing offense on the basis of 15 spring practices under a completely new regime and concept. He is Urban Meyer after all...they will be throwing the ball all over the yard. You say you watched the spring game, jb?

I mean, we get it...you're not a Braxton Miller fan. But the passing game will be light years better than last year, when they ranked 115th out of 120 FBS programs, in large part because they didn't let Braxton throw the ball more than a dozen times a game...and he was a true freshman in a Cro Magnon offense, playing without his only experienced receiver for the first 10 games.

All that said, I think they're a 3-loss team.

That's the thing Dan. I AM a Miller fan. I swear he's playing more uptight than he did at Wayne passing-wise.

I'm not talking about the inter-regnum year. That's past. I went to the spring game and for all the hype I didn't think Miller could hit much within target. He makes Peezy and Teabow look like Aaron Rogers at this point.

Got nothing to do with the O or Urbs. Miller just isn't there yet. Maybe at some point this season the light bulb goes on. I won't argue about 3 vs 4 losses. That's all about a bounce here or there against an Iowa or Sparty, you know?

The D is gonna have to carry this bunch and if the DB's can gel to where they play on turf as well as on paper that might happen. The DL is gonna be stupid-dumb. Will be really fun to watch if they can find a ruinning mate for Shazier backing them up. Return of the Silver Bulletts.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:52 pm

All points well taken. If Braxton had been a more accurate passer, they would have beaten Michigan for sure...

I don't know though...This spring I saw a team (and a QB) whose leading 2011 receiver caught 14 balls all season complete 12 passes to one guy in one game. I admit I missed seeing the lack of passing accuracy in Millers 24 of 31 for 258 that day.

No argument though that the defense will have to carry them. They absolutely collapsed in the second half of 2011. They're good again "on paper", but....

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:17 pm

And the Spring game told a slanted story JB. They went into that game to run entirely their passing O because Meyer has full faith in his running O, so not only were you seeing a QB learning a new system (and he is working his ass off right now to keep learning that system), but you were seeing a system that wasn't functioning in terms of game flow and was instead forcing square pegs into round wholes to make the team better.

I wouldn't be shocked by four losses or undefeated with Cal and Cincitucky being the OoC games this year.

Just think it is far too early to predict anything with Braxton and where he is going to end up.... and I really wouldn't be shcoked to see three players run for over 500 yards this year.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And the Spring game told a slanted story JB. They went into that game to run entirely their passing O because Meyer has full faith in his running O, so not only were you seeing a QB learning a new system (and he is working his ass off right now to keep learning that system), but you were seeing a system that wasn't functioning in terms of game flow and was instead forcing square pegs into round wholes to make the team better.

I wouldn't be shocked by four losses or undefeated with Cal and Cincitucky being the OoC games this year.

Just think it is far too early to predict anything with Braxton and where he is going to end up.... and I really wouldn't be shcoked to see three players run for over 500 yards this year.

Agree Miller is an unfinished product.

However.... the spring game emphasis, new WR's, and weather doesn't mean Braxton Miller is about as accurate as a 30 day projected weather forecast in Ohio.
jb

Return to College Sports Arena