Text Size

College Sports Arena

Sandusky

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Sandusky

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:45 am

motherscratcher wrote:No, not that. I think it's perfectly reasonable to draw conclusions with what we have. But, maybe we shouldn't draw ALL of them right yet.

The conclusions I have drawn from the available evidence is bad enough. I don't see how evidence that might come out later will do anything but make it worse.

But I guess there's always that chance that Paterno's daughter was kidnapped and he was forced to remain silent on the matter despite his great personal misgivings...

Oh, and you motherfuckers don't get to slur my fellow redheads as "Ginger". Only I get to use that term.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:54 am

If Sandusky never got a HC gig because word was out about his pedophilia, then there are multitudes of people in college football who could have spoken up but didn't

Why not?

Anyone who even had a suspicion of these atrocities is guilty, IMO and many, many many people are keeping their mouths shut ....some likely just to protect their football programs and their own good names
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:07 am

Just message board chatter but to that point....

I grew up with my two closest friends...one played football at tOSU, I played in the ACC and my other best friend played at Penn St...needless to say we have had much discussion about what has transpired at tOSU and at Penn St. My buddy who played at PSU played after Sandusky abrupbtly "retired." And he said this "let me make this perfectly clear...everyone was aware of why Sandusky "retired" and everyone found it odd that he always had children around him...with that said even if all of the deatils weren't entirerly known to everyone outside the program, the entire football staff and admin at PSU needs to be held accountable for what has happened...."

Needless to say he is sick about this. But he also said there isn't any doubt in his mind that Joe Pa and the powers that be knew every detail of what transpired in that shower in 02 and the fact they sat by and did nothing about it makes them every bit as guilty.

And when asked what he meant by "everyone knew".....

According to my buddy who played there he said people knew Sandusky retired for "inappropriate contact with a child" and his assumption is most people played it off as they forced him to retire and figured (hoped) it was an isolated incident.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:If Sandusky never got a HC gig because word was out about his pedophilia, then there are multitudes of people in college football who could have spoken up but didn't

Why not?

Anyone who even had a suspicion of these atrocities is guilty, IMO and many, many many people are keeping their mouths shut ....some likely just to protect their football programs and their own good names

This is probably the most under scrutinized point in this whole mess. Way too many reports of more than just State College knowing about Sandusky and his rep, yet no similar reports of outsiders demanding info and asking questions, nor refusal to be around him/the program until answers were clarified.

The possible scope of this is mind numbing.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 am

Are you both really that short sighted?

A reputation is one thing and to the outside world that reputation existed only in terms of his 1998 “No Charges Pressed” event.

No one is going after PSU for 1998-2002, because no one knew for sure. No one knew anything behind guy had some creepy incidents that THE JUSTICE SYSTEM cleared.

Penn State received verification in 2002 that this wasn’t just a creep show, but an actual sexual predator. They are the only people in college football that knew this. That is why they are being targets and people who heard rumors about a non-charged incident are not.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 pm

No one is going after PSU for 1998-2002, because no one knew for sure

I call bullshit
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Well, you can speculate all you want.

By the letter of the law physical proof (that he was charged for) was discovered in 2002.

The rest is conjecture.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:35 pm

What physical proof was there in 2002?

And does child molestation not exist in Pennsylvania unless it's witnessed by a PSU Graduate Assistant?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:36 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Well, you can speculate all you want.

By the letter of the law physical proof (that he was charged for) was discovered in 2002.

The rest is conjecture.

More with the feds involved mayhaps the murder of the prosecutor who disappeared during this time will be reopened, bad enough a government guy gets whacked , but to find out his laptop gets found in a river sans a hardrive is X files worthy .

When was Joe Told , what was he told , what did he do ..

"" I wish I had done more ""

Damnable just damnable.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
No one is going after PSU for 1998-2002, because no one knew for sure

I call bullshit

I won't go so far as to make false accusations, but yeah it is pretty naive to think that nobody (or even just a few people inside & outside of the program) knew of certain things or hadn't at least heard the most accurate versions of rumored stories.

Here's the thing, the stigma that comes with acts and crimes of this nature is too much to be reversed (even through well intention-ed acts of goodness to a community, even with the most sincere efforts by the guilty or accused), let alone be cleared by the law. The stigma alone can keep the reputation alive, fairly or unfairly. Hell that's part of what makes the topic in its most general form so controversial. Like telling a jury to disregard remarks made in testimony on the stand, never gonna happen.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:01 pm

HoodooMan wrote:What physical proof was there in 2002?

And does child molestation not exist in Pennsylvania unless it's witnessed by a PSU Graduate Assistant?

Sorry, physical may have been the wrong term.

There was scary tendencies forgiven by the law becoming definitively sexual abuse.

And I'm sure there was a doozy of a story attached to that "hug" in 1998.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

It seems to me that the only thing missing in 1998 that wasn't there in 2002 is the smoking gun of someone actually witnessing an assault, and that's really only relevant to the cover up charges. But considering that the GJR's account of the '98 accusations included two kids with very similar stories--and at least 3 more victims to be found if anyone had been interested in looking--that, plus one dead/missing DA, I have a really difficult time believing the cover up in '98 was any less bad than the cover up in '02 and that PSU wasn't somehow involved.

No evidence yet, but we'll see.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:17 pm

@MicheleSteele: Penn State drawing from CEO alums to handle fallout -- Merck CEO Ken Frazier '75 will be head of school's investigative team
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby hiko » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:33 pm

Now great minds like Franco Harris are chiming in:

Former Pittsburgh Steelers running back and Penn State alum Franco Harris blasted the school's Board of Trustees for its decision to fire Joe Paterno and defended Mike McQueary, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," Harris told the Tribune-Review's Kevin Gorman. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

"They really wouldn't give a reason. They're linking the football program to the scandal and, possibly, the cover-up. That's very disturbing to me. I think there should be no more connection to the football program, only in the case that it happened at the football building with an ex-coach. I'm still trying to find out who gave him access to the building, who signed that contract."

Good thing Franco's on it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16076958/franco-harris-defends-paterno-mcqueary-blasts-trustees
hiko

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Just started this (Mo Truth w/ LeCharles Hosting): http://lbentleyradio.com/2011/11/11/pod ... -11-11-11/

Kinda really excited.

(Mo Truth is Clarrett)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:51 pm

FUDU wrote:Question about the Board at PSU, do we know if was it a unanimous vote to fire Joe?

Yes, and Spanier
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:12 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Just started this (Mo Truth w/ LeCharles Hosting): http://lbentleyradio.com/2011/11/11/pod ... -11-11-11/

Kinda really excited.

(Mo Truth is Clarrett)

This is really good, especially when they get into La Familia and McQuery's rise to assistant coaching.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:08 pm

McQuery placed on administrative leave.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 pm

The Mansfield Lucas piece on Jerry Sandusky:

http://bit.ly/vTsM8Y

Glad that cat stepped off the beach and back into the fray for at least a little while.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:25 pm

TWO INTERNET HUGS
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:TWO INTERNET HUGS

That's all the iLove I can work up this month and I probably used up December's too. No one should expect any more outta me until 2012 so, if I'm a dick to you, go eff yourself.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Just take it out on the useless sack motherscratcher.

Burning a dentist's office down warms the heart...

or so I'm told.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:The Mansfield Lucas piece on Jerry Sandusky:

Glad that cat stepped off the beach and back into the fray for at least a little while.

It was excellent

I've been trying to get people to have that same introspection about sports for a long time now...

The usual repsonse is angry old man yadda yadda

He did it better than I ever could but, too bad it took this tragedy to jump start reality for so many...

JMHO
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 pm

One can in no way say that our national obsession with football played a role creating in those crimes. Nor can one say that the subsequent inaction and cover up wasn’t perpetrated in part by the culture that was uniquely that of State College when it came to the perfect storm of a lack of media scrutiny, the cult of personality, big-time finances and wealthy power brokers, and the cloak of hubris that they were somehow different and immune.

Just as a heads up, I assume there's something missing in that sentence above.

ETA: On second thought, maybe I just confused the message of those two sentences? (I can be very anal, but I wasn't trying to share that by pointing out a little typo.)
Last edited by HoodooMan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:The Mansfield Lucas piece on Jerry Sandusky:

Loved it. Well done, sir.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42 pm

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:55 pm

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Take all your links and go fuck yourselves.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:50 pm

JB's article was fantastic.

My take on this whole mess, in regards to college sports, is that's it's so much different, yet so much the same. And you can take it from Paterno's words after the ax fell. All the "I've given my life to Penn State......I care about Pnn State...."

Which is to the point, he cares about Penn State more than the lives of children. And, while this is the most vile example, it's really the same reasoning college personel use when they turn their head when a player rolls into the athletic lot in a tricked SUV, or has a blind eye to the "ready made" classes that players take.

It's safe to say that if you don't give a shit about the lives of children, you don't give a shit about a fraudulent education, an unsavory booster or anything else.

And Peekers correct on a couple counts, 1. It's horrific, yet not really suprising, and 2. We will overestimate this effect on college sports as a whole. Tremendous (and catastrophic) effect on Penn State. Other colleges, well, you might think they are saying to themselves "I'm gonna walk the line now...." When the reality is more like, "Shit, hope this doesn't cause them to tighten up and nose around here now...."
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:30 pm

SportsbyBrooks is not going to let up on this one. Who else in twitter-land is continuing to apply the heat?

"The entire football program, athletic dept., and Board of Trustees needs to be fired and re-staffed. Every single one of them. Immediately."
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:27 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 pm

http://www.psu.edu/ur/2011/NCAA.pdf

The NCAA announces that they will look into the issue of "institutional control" at Penn State. Link above is to the letter from NCAA to the PSU President.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 pm

jb

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm

^Genuinely disturbing story.

Mother One said she hopes that she can give her son a semblance of normalcy one day. Humor, she said, helps. She said her son is a huge fan of Adam Sandler and that his films keep the house laughing.

^Perhaps most disturbing of all.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

They need to just nuke the whole area. It's the only way to be sure.
hiko

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm

hiko wrote:

My conclusion.

Or make the whole set of trials a new Nuremburg so fucks like these HS staff and some of these moronic football families get the message that king football < basic human decency.

They ought to hold them in the president's loge at Beaver Stadium broadcast on the jumbotron.
jb

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:01 pm

jb wrote:
hiko wrote:

My conclusion.

Or make the whole set of trials a new Nuremburg so fucks like these HS staff and some of these moronic football families get the message that king football < basic human decency.

They ought to hold them in the president's loge at Beaver Stadium broadcast on the jumbotron.

It's why this story keeps getting worse and worse because at almost every turn, no one seems to be acting with any sembleance of responsibility or rationale thought.

The idea that this town loved Sandusky enough to even think about brushing this off makes me sick to my stomach. Actually ill.

I'm tired of hearing about "woe is Penn St." and woe is the area and people. The majority of these people are pond scum. They have allowed football and this insane notion that their community is above any moral reprehension or examination makes me only wish the spotlight bigger on the entire situation. I hope the doors get blown off these sick fuckin people.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:56 pm

noles1 wrote:
It's why this story keeps getting worse and worse because at almost every turn, no one seems to be acting with any sembleance of responsibility or rationale thought.

The idea that this town loved Sandusky enough to even think about brushing this off makes me sick to my stomach. Actually ill.

I'm tired of hearing about "woe is Penn St." and woe is the area and people. The majority of these people are pond scum. They have allowed football and this insane notion that their community is above any moral reprehension or examination makes me only wish the spotlight bigger on the entire situation. I hope the doors get blown off these sick fuckin people.

Go on any board and read any Lion fan and it remains clear they still don't get it. I do. You do. It's obvious.

They still think this is about one isolated pedophile.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 am

Sandusky waived the preliminary trial:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16437909/sandusky-waives-prelim-hearing-moving-sexabuse-case-toward-trial

Amendola and state prosecutors confirmed that no one had started plea bargain talks.

"There will be no plea negotiations," Amendola said. "This is a fight to the death."

Let's hope so.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Dude..... seriously?

A lawyer for a former Penn State assistant football coach accused of molesting boys says he didn't mean to refer to a gay sex phone line when he said anyone who believes university officials thought his client raped a 10-year-old boy and did little about it should call 1-800-REALITY.

The phrase is one attorney Joseph Amendola says he's used for years to mean "get a life." But the phone number is a sex line for gay and bi-curious men.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... ujxo7It9Fo
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:43 pm

Couple more things...

This lawyer for Sandusky is insane. Almost like he is trying to lose it.

Sandusky's comments and relating it to football and the 4th qtr.... huh? This guy is likely not only guilty of these crimes but he is one of the stupidest criminals I have ever seen.

McQueary testified today and from the transcripts it would seem he blew the doors off all this. From the sounds of it, he testified to telling everyone and had subsequent meetings with each of the 3. Nothing was done. Curley and Schultz are in a world of trouble. JoePa will probably get out of criminal charges but the damage is done to his legacy. This will last forever.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:30 pm

noles1 wrote:This lawyer for Sandusky is insane. Almost like he is trying to lose it.

Yeah...another example of the horrendous advice Sandusky has been getting from his attorney. Like allowing to give early interviews to Costas and others that resulted in making him look even more horrible than he had already...and confirming him as a serial liar.

Consider too the stunt his attorney pulled the other day when he allowed everyone to believe he was going to participate in the preliminary hearing only to pull out and decline at the last minute just so he could have an audience with the assembled (and info-starved) media. That sorry story is related at this link by Andy McCarthy, (an experienced federal prosecutor and former Asst. US Atty.)

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/28 ... c-mccarthy

danwismar

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Thought I heard on the radio last night that this same lawyer is now using the "Sandusky was naked with boys in the shower in order to show them the proper way to apply soap"-defense.

I forgot about that prior to posting earlier because so many parts of this story are nearly unimaginable.

My God.
noles1

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Bump - So how about Blue Haired Lions alums going summer of 09 Tea Party on State Perv brass for having the audacity to fire JoePerv? Anyone following Franco and the fuktards this week?
jb

Unread postby noles1 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Some excerpts from the upcoming Esquire interview in JoePa's final days.

Good findings on account of the writer and really makes you question the possible bullshit JoePa was spitting.

http://deadspin.com/5912516/new-details ... te-scandal
noles1

Unread postby danwismar » Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 am

Circumstantial stuff there, but I think we're to the point where only the willfully blind Paterno worshippers and guardians of his legacy (pretend to?)believe he wasn't right in the middle of things in 1998. His top assistant "retired" suddenly at age 55, and the man who oversaw every detail of the program told him at the time he would never become the head coach, but that Paterno was was completely unaware of why that was? C'mon.

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Sat May 26, 2012 11:54 am

danwismar wrote:Circumstantial stuff there, but I think we're to the point where only the willfully blind Paterno worshippers and guardians of his legacy (pretend to?)believe he wasn't right in the middle of things in 1998. His top assistant "retired" suddenly at age 55, and the man who oversaw every detail of the program told him at the time he would never become the head coach, but that Paterno was was completely unaware of why that was? C'mon.

Anyone without fanboy hero worship blinders knows the score. And that swamp still isnt drained of the gators.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_arrives_in_cent.html

Bump.

It will be very interesting to see what other evidence, if any, comes out that serves up others in the institution, and whom.

For those like Eye who keep saying the place has been 100% de-Nazi-fied already, it will be fascinating to see if this be so.

Just alike recruiting wins games, I think this is 75% of the case right here with no change of venue:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/as_jerry_sandusky_trial_opens.html
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Ain't my fault PSU is too awesome a place for you to let be post detox JB.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena