Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Potential Indians Trade Targets

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Potential Indians Trade Targets

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Don't look now, but the trade deadline is just over two months away. Assuming (hoping) the Indians will again be buyers at the deadline, who are some candidates around the league that make sense for the Tribe to try and acquire? I'll update this thread as logical guys emerge, but here are two that I can think off right now:

1. Brian LaHair, 1B-Cubs
An older 1B who's excelling in his first taste of major league pitching, the Cubs are out of it and with Anthony Rizzo pegged as the 1B of the future, it makes sense for them to move him this year. Buster Olney reported that he would command a "B level prospect, maybe a reliever" (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/n ... others-mlb). Clearly, LaHair isn't going to keep producing the way he has been, and I'm sure he'll take a hit when he comes over to the AL, but if the cost is Brian Price or Rob Bryson, does it really hurt to try?

2. C.J. Cron, 1B-Angels
Cron is a guy I was high on going into the draft last year, and in this year's weak draft class would probably be a top-10 guy. He's in high-A in the Angels org after being the 17th overall pick last year, and is hitting a solid .284/.339/.451 with 6 HR and 32 RBI. Cron was considered an advanced guy coming out of college, and is limited to 1B/DH defensively. Obviously, those two positions are blocked in Anahiem for the forseeable future, so Cron would probably be available, likely for a starting pitching prospect. If he can be had for a Dave Huff or less, I say pull the trigger. He's a more long-term option than LaHair, but this system is in dire need of power prospects in the corners so would be a good get.

Obviously, this is purely speculation at this point and I don't have anything indicating the Indians are interested in either of these guys, but figured that would get the ball rolling. Who's out there that you realistically think the club should look to acquire this year?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Potential Indians Trade Targets

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 22, 2012 3:13 pm

I would be all for Cron, but no way they part with him for David Huff.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I would be all for Cron, but no way they part with him for David Huff.

I was just throwing a name out there. The definitely need a back-end starter, and he's pretty solidly blocked at the MLB level, so I'm hoping we can buy in for less than he's worth. But yeah, I agree that all else being equal, Cron is more valuable than Huff.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Really liking LaHair. His splits don't really help the Tribe though as he can't hit lefties.

What is Branyan doing? sorry
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby CTtribefan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 pm

After reading about the Indians scouting Kevin Youkilis and recently hearing the the ESPN Baseball Today podcast that Ryan Dempster I thought I would pose the questions...
1. How do you feel about acquiring either player?
2. What do you think it would take to acquire them?
CTtribefan

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Paul Konerko

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 pm

CTtribefan wrote:After reading about the Indians scouting Kevin Youkilis and recently hearing the the ESPN Baseball Today podcast that Ryan Dempster I thought I would pose the questions...
1. How do you feel about acquiring either player?
2. What do you think it would take to acquire them?

Definitely more the store you're shopping in. You have no chips to play with and neither guy would likely cost you more than mid-level prospect(s). Youkilis has simply worn out his welcome with Valentine and I imagine they'd deal him relatively cheaply.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 23, 2012 8:53 pm

I like both guys, though I'm not totally sure where Youkilis can play defensively. I don't think he can play 3B, can't DH, and Kotchman's coming around.

I like the RH bat a lot, but I'm not sure his body can handle 3B.

Dempster should come at a decent price. Epstein knows what he needs to do in Chicago and I don't think Dempster's in those plans.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I like both guys, though I'm not totally sure where Youkilis can play defensively. I don't think he can play 3B, can't DH, and Kotchman's coming around.

I don't think twice and kick Kotchman to the curb. Youk is a pretty good 1B from what I remember and I'm sure he can hit just as many weak dribblers to the right side.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby scrambler » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Matt Laporta to the Braves for Chad Durbin. I do it today. world series tomorrow.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm

Carlos Lee makes sense, but only if Houston will eat some of that 10 million he'll still be owed for the rest of 2012 in July.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 am

3rd base is actually Youk's original position. He's been bounced back and forth between first and third depending on whether or not the Sux have a darling they want to give one of those bases to - Youk is the Red-Headed Step-Child. Gets the leftover base. He was at 3rd this year till he got a "stiff back", had a day off, went back to play, stiffened up again...and then the Sux put him on the DL for 2 reasons. 1) Playing it extra-safe after all the issues with Ellsbury and his cracked ribs the last two years and 2) I think they were looking for a reason to bring Middlebrooks up from Pawtucket.

There have been stories about him being trouble in the clubhouse but just as many will come forward and say he's a great guy. FWIW he's NOT "Manny being Manny". Wouldn't surprise me if they moved him somewhere, anywhere, and once he gets set with the new team he takes off just to show Valentin he's a good player. Would serve Bobby V. right.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:12 am

Saw someone (forget where) suggesting SD should trade Carlos Quentin once he is healthy, which is soon.

Don't even know if they will put him on the block, but that would be a nice pickup.
googleeph2

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 am

I still want Brandon Lyon as the third RHP in the pen. Closing experience, free agent at end of season. Get Houston to pay some of his salary and the bullpen instantly improves.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2012 10:35 am

I agree that Youk can't be counted on to play 3rd base. And why the hell should we put him there? We have Hannahan, who's playing great defense for a ground ball pitching staff and hitting .287/.801. Jose Lopez gives us a right-handed bat and another OPS over .800. And then there's this Chisenhall guy hitting .340 at Columbus.

If Youk comes here he plays first base and DH's for Hafner against lefties. But Kotchman is another excellent defender whose bat is coming around. Lopez can also play first or DH if you want a right-handed bat.

A healthy Carlos Quenton is the guy we need. Damon is awful both offensively and defensively.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

I wonder how much rope they give Damon has anything to do with protecting their reputation for giving reclamation projects sufficient time to re-establish their careers.

Because they need to keep that 'pipeline' open.
googleeph2

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Thu May 24, 2012 7:02 pm

LF is our offensive & defensive back hole.

Aside from that, more pitching especially in the rotation never hurts.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu May 24, 2012 9:34 pm

The optimist in me says that LF might be solved if Grady ever gets back, plays CF and Brantley slides into LF. Don't expect Grady to contribute much offensively any more, but he'd be better than what we've got now.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

googleeph2 wrote:I wonder how much rope they give Damon has anything to do with protecting their reputation for giving reclamation projects sufficient time to re-establish their careers.

Because they need to keep that 'pipeline' open.

It's still early, but the way Damon is playing this year makes what Orlando Cabrera did last year HOF quality stuff which it wasn't. He was bad. You can only give Damon until Sizemore comes back then he has to be released. Sizemore is more fragile than balsa wood at this point of his career. I'm willing to give Damon a few more weeks to attempt to figure it out, but left field is a massive problem.
scrambler

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

How hard can it be to find a .250 hitter with a track record of hitting lefties well, that can play the easiest spot to fill in the outfield?
googleeph2

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 25, 2012 11:01 am

googleeph2 wrote:How hard can it be to find a .250 hitter with a track record of hitting lefties well, that can play the easiest spot to fill in the outfield?

Well, we figured Duncan could be that guy and he was for 20 games until he fell off the face of the earth and crumbled under the "pressure" of holding off Damon. I honestly think he felt slighted and let it affect his play.

The Indians backed off a third year to Willingham because he was a defensive liability and he's hitting the cover off the ball in an average hitters park with a 1.296 OPS. He's been brutal on the road, though, with a .699 OPS.

Seemingly, it's harder than you think to find a competent LF and none of last year's FA cream of the crop in Kubel, Cuddyer, or Willingham are setting the world on fire. They're upgrades to what we have, but aren't worth the price tag.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby comish » Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am

We simply have to, HAVE TO, have a better option than the .156 hitting Damon with an arm weeker than...well...MINE.

Not even in the minors?

If we don't than this is a complete fail by the scouting/development department and the minor league system as a whole.

One week more of this guy tops please
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 am

Weird that the Indians still need a LF when the Angels were giving one away earlier in the year. One whose OBP is just under .400 since joining the Dodgers.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am

I know it's blasphemous but I honestly think LaPorta could hit .250 with a .750 OPS out there in left field. They've done well with pitchers, but it's unfathomable this farm system can produce zero outfielders.
scrambler

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Weird that the Indians still need a LF when the Angels were giving one away earlier in the year. One whose OBP is just under .400 since joining the Dodgers.

That is sad...Abreu is one of the more underrated offensive players in MLB the last 20 years. I think we had already signed Damon and committed by that time or is that not true?
scrambler

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri May 25, 2012 12:49 pm

scrambler wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Weird that the Indians still need a LF when the Angels were giving one away earlier in the year. One whose OBP is just under .400 since joining the Dodgers.

That is sad...Abreu is one of the more underrated offensive players in MLB the last 20 years. I think we had already signed Damon and committed by that time or is that not true?

Kinda, the Indians were getting ready to trade practically nothing for him when the deal fell through. He stayed with the Angels, the Indians signed Damon and then Abreu was released.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:11 pm

scrambler wrote:I know it's blasphemous but I honestly think LaPorta could hit .250 with a .750 OPS out there in left field. They've done well with pitchers, but it's unfathomable this farm system can produce zero outfielders.

Yes, it is blasphemous. Why would a career .238 hitter with a .701 OPS suddenly become that much better? And even if he did, it would still be shitty.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
scrambler wrote:I know it's blasphemous but I honestly think LaPorta could hit .250 with a .750 OPS out there in left field. They've done well with pitchers, but it's unfathomable this farm system can produce zero outfielders.

Yes, it is blasphemous. Why would a career .238 hitter with a .701 OPS suddenly become that much better? And even if he did, it would still be shitty.

You should bang your head into a wall. It'll get you farther.

As to the tools who want 'someone better than what we got', well, it doesn't do you any good if what you bring up isn't good.

If you don't like your 76 Pinto with the blown engine you can go grab the 79 El Camino with the dropped out transmission. See if one gets you any further than the other.

Matt Laporta blows. The fact he may be younger when he blows or there's a 1 in a million chance (so you're saying there's a chance) that he reverses the blow doesn't mean shit.

His last vestige of value may well be in a deal for someone like Youkilis under the pretense that he'll finaly 'get it' with a different voice in his ear. As if that different voice won't be telling him not to try and yank every GD pitch he sees.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 25, 2012 1:24 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

I don't think a career .238 hitter with a .701 OPS becoming a .250 hittser with a .750 OPS is actually becoming "that much better". It's a misiscule improvement and way, way better than what we're playing out there presently. I don't want to watch it, but I'm willing to try it just one more time! :hide:
scrambler

Unread postby comish » Fri May 25, 2012 1:52 pm

peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

You should bang your head into a wall. It'll get you farther.

As to the tools who want 'someone better than what we got', well, it doesn't do you any good if what you bring up isn't good.
If you don't like your 76 Pinto with the blown engine you can go grab the 79 El Camino with the dropped out transmission. See if one gets you any further than the other.

Matt Laporta blows. The fact he may be younger when he blows or there's a 1 in a million chance (so you're saying there's a chance) that he reverses the blow doesn't mean shit.

His last vestige of value may well be in a deal for someone like Youkilis under the pretense that he'll finaly 'get it' with a different voice in his ear. As if that different voice won't be telling him not to try and yank every GD pitch he sees.

This :tool: is merely speculating as to whether or not we HAVE a better option...and is pretty damn mad if the answer is "no" because this team may just be a player away from really having a special season. Here's hoping they don't collapse like LAST year.

I can't remember, Peeker, didn't you play some outfield back in the day? :thumb up:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri May 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Buy low on Gaby Sanchez

pretty please
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:reverses the blow

So he's either gonna blow, or gonna suck?

I've asked before and if answered I missed it, but is he striding and turning his hips when he swings now- or is it all upper body still as it was the last time we saw him up here?

Would be interesting to flip him for Youk, to the team that gave us Marte.
googleeph2

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Pabo » Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Remember when Wedgie thought it was a good idea to play Ryan Garko in left field? That's roughly what Matt LaPorta would look like out there. On a slightly related topic, if Sizemore ever makes it back, he should go to left. Michael Brantley is the better center fielder. The Indians won't make any eye-popping acquisitions, but I think one upgrade they should consider is picking up a guy like Rod Barajas from Pittsburgh. A back-up catcher who can hit above .100 and maybe even blast a home run or three. Marson has no future here.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
Pabo

Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 pm

If Ubaldo and Masterson don't stop walking more guys than they whiff, it won't matter who we try to add on offense.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:24 am

Carlos Quentin is off the DL today, starting and hitting cleanup for SD.
googleeph2

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 am

I don't know what the Phillies plans are for him, but if they fall out of the race, Shane Victorino's a free agent at the end of the season.

He's got limited no-trade protection, so I don't know if that's a stumbling block, but the Phillies have a lot of money tied up in a lot of guys that aren't Shane Victorino.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Thru 5, SD at Cubs

Batting
2B - C Quentin (2)
HR - C Quentin (1)
RBI - C Quentin (2)
googleeph2

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:24 am

They need a legit arm and a bat. And there's no currency in the farm system to acquire a real impact player at either spot. They're going to have to get really creative to improve this team in 2012.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

Laporta back to Milwaukee for Grienke :dingle:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed May 30, 2012 1:12 pm

gotribe31 wrote:They need a legit arm and a bat. And there's no currency in the farm system to acquire a real impact player at either spot. They're going to have to get really creative to improve this team in 2012.

Imagine that the "currency" guys are like Soto and Stowell. Guys who probably have more future value to the Indians than they'd have value in the trade market.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Wed May 30, 2012 3:53 pm

How long until this list becomes

Derek Lowe
Sin Soo Choo
Casey Kotchman
Chris Perez

?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Quentin on fire.

From Rotowire:
Wed, May 30

LF Carlos Quentin went 3-for-4 with a pair of two-run homers. But in his first three games off the disabled list, Quentin went 7-for-12 with three doubles and three RBI. He has driven in six runs and scored four. Quentin is the first Padre to drive in six runs over a three-game span this season.

(Yahoo! Sports) Wed, May 30

Quentin homered twice and doubled in four at-bats Wednesday, driving in four runs in a loss to the Cubs.

Recommendation: Quentin must be thrilled to have returned to the field at Wrigley rather than his pitcher-friendly home park of Petco. Playing there will limit him, but Quentin's off to as hot a start as you can ask for, with seven hits (including three doubles and three homers) in 12 at-bats.

(Rotowire.com)
googleeph2

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Heyman posted this look at the trade market today: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1921 ... h-pitching

Of interest to me would be:

3. Ryan Dempster, SP, Cubs: There have been suggestions lately that the Cubs might try to extend him, but he's 35 and really should be pitching elsewhere. While he has been superb this year, thanks to zero support from the Cubs' offense he has yet to win a game in nine starts (0-3, 2.90 ERA; 1.02 ERA through five starts). The high 2012 salary ($14 million) will limit the take.

4. Wandy Rodriguez, SP, Astros: The $33 million owed through 2014 if he's traded (the '14 option becomes a player option if dealt) doesn't look too terrible now for this very solid lefthander (4-4, 2.49 ERA) who could help a lot of teams. Rodriguez is the best lefty who could go.

20. Rafael Betancourt, RP, Rockies: His name seems to come up every July, but it might be of particular interest now that so many teams have back-end bullpen issues. A caveat: The Rockies are historically a strong second-half team and might be reluctant to trade him.

22. Brandon Lyon, RP, Astros: That $5.5 million salary is just as absurd as the day he signed the deal but he's healthy and thriving now. Has 19 strikeouts, only two walks and a 1.03 WHIP.

24. Matt Belisle, RP, Rockies: He's signed through next year, and the Rockies may want to hold onto this noted strike thrower.

30. Jeff Francoeur, OF, Royals: Great personality and arm, with a little power thrown in. But the hunch is nobody likes him quite as much as Royals GM Dayton Moore.

Lot of pitching. A few RH bats, in order of Heyman's rankings: Quentin, Youk, Soriano, C. Lee, Reed Johnson, Francoeur, Ryan Doumit, Jonny Gomes, Ramon Hernandez, Scutaro, ManRam.

We need a bat without a doubt, but their best shot is to fix the starting rotation and get another RHP for the bullpen. Hard to see many of those RH hitters making an impact while those pitchers could.

Quentin's price will be through the roof, the Indians are probably on Carlos Lee's no-trade list, Youkils won't go anywhere, Soriano's owed too much, Reed Johnson is marginal, Doumit would be a better option than Marson, Gomes is an upgrade to Duncan, Hernandez would be an upgrade to Marson, Scutaro's useless with Donald and Lopez, and Manny is a total wildcard and likely done.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby bookelly » Thu May 31, 2012 7:53 pm

Was gonna suggest Nate McLouth - until I saw his OPS+ this year is 9. Not 90. 9.

Ouch.

Perspective - Damon this year is 48. As bad as he's been.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Cubs are in firesale mode and Soriano is heating up.

Just sayin... wouldn't cost much.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 31, 2012 9:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:Cubs are in firesale mode and Soriano is heating up.

Just sayin... wouldn't cost much.

Except for the 36M he's owed in 2013 and 2014.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 am

I know it's all rumors now, but the word is that the Cubs would eat the vast majority of that just to get him out of there. Garza is interesting as well, started out great and has hit the skids as of late. LaHair still looks like a nice piece that could be relatively cheap.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 am

pup wrote:How long until this list becomes

Derek Lowe
Sin Soo Choo
Casey Kotchman
Chris Perez

?

At least the All-Star break, if not a few weeks after.

With the addition of the second wild-card, there's too much incentive for teams to wait and see if they are buying and selling before making any major moves. Only 8 teams are more than 5 games out of the second wild card spot. The Indians still have the advantage of a weak division, even after the White Sox hot couple of weeks. Even with the injuries, general suckitude of the pitching the past week, etc., it's still going to take time to sort itself out.

Scheduling quirk: The Indians play only 9 games at home in June (2 of which are interleague series against Pitt and Cincy) vs. 18 on the road.

All that said, if the Indians are 5+ games out that last week of July, then yes, all four of those guys are on the block (although I think Choo would be the least likely to get dealt.)
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:I know it's all rumors now, but the word is that the Cubs would eat the vast majority of that just to get him out of there. Garza is interesting as well, started out great and has hit the skids as of late. LaHair still looks like a nice piece that could be relatively cheap.

That's why I brought it up. Cubs have said everyone other than Samardzija are on the table. Even Castro.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am

peeker643 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:I know it's all rumors now, but the word is that the Cubs would eat the vast majority of that just to get him out of there. Garza is interesting as well, started out great and has hit the skids as of late. LaHair still looks like a nice piece that could be relatively cheap.

That's why I brought it up. Cubs have said everyone other than Samardzija are on the table. Even Castro.

I knew the author was reading into things a bit much when I first saw that. You don't trade a 22 year old shortstop, you build a team around him.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein has denied that his team is exploring deals for Starlin Castro, report Doug Padilla and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. "Starlin Castro is the type of player we're looking to build around," Epstein said. "There has been no trade consideration with him whatsoever."

Garza has been up and down. I still look to see the Cubs extend him and build around he and Samardzija on the hill and Castro/Rizzo in the field. LaHair's having a nice first half and has offered to move into the OF to accommodate Rizzo if they bring him up. He's probably worth more as a Cub than he'd be as a trading chip since he's not exactly young at 29. If they could move Soriano, I'd see them shift LaHair to RF. No-one's gonna take Soriano without the Cubs eating 90% of that contract, but they'd do it if someone wanted him. At $3M a year for the next few, he'd be worth taking a flyer on.

The interesting thing about Samardzija is that he was basically out of options, so the Cubs had to do something. After being a bit inconsistent as a reliever, especially with walks, but with a huge arm, they decided to move him into the rotation starting in spring training. Esptein's a smart guy, but I don't think anyone in the front office saw him pitching as well as he has thus far, especially his control. It's as if the light went on.
Last edited by WiscTribeFan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB