Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

There's always 2016

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

There's always 2016

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 pm

ESPN gets some guys and a computer together, decides Browns will be the league's worst team in 2015. To give you an idea of just how bad they think the Browns will be, out of the five categories measured (QB, Roster, Draft, Front Office, Coaching), the one the Browns scored HIGHEST on is coaching. With Pat Schurmur as the head coach. Seriously.

Also, Trent Dilfer really does have a serious hard-on for this org.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... 015-season

It's insider, so I'll cut and paste a couple of pieces here:

Quarterback: Brandon Weeden has talent, but Cleveland will want to play him right away. The concern is if he struggles early. He's older, but will they be patient with him if he takes time to adjust to the NFL game like most rookies? He doesn't have more physical experience, just years. Bottom line: This is a totally unsettled situation headed into 2012. -- Dilfer

Front office: Color me skeptical of the Browns' front office -- and this organization isn't exactly patient. Cleveland's front office is now directly tied to Weeden's future success. I can't say that is the perfect position to be in. -- Williamson

Coaching: Since rejoining the league, few teams have had turnover comparable to the Browns. So if things don't improve in the very near future, what are the chances that this current staff retains its jobs for the next few years? Brad Childress has taken over the offensive coordinator job. With Richardson now to lean on, expect Childress to run the ball much more than the Browns did in 2011. -- Williamson

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: There's always 2016

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 pm

ESPN may have just set a new bar for retardation.

It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Ruthless People doesn't get nearly enough love.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Trent Dilfer critiquing QB play is a lot like Milka Duno critiquing how people in the IRL drive (she sucks)

What an assjack.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm

These guys can't even pick half the playoff teams each year, before the season starts, and they actually expect us to believe they can project teams 3 years down the line?

Just goes to show ESPN has, literally, nothing for these guys to do in the off-season but still tries to rationalize paying them by having them produce this dreck.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Ruthless People doesn't get nearly enough love.

Had some flaws, but many great great scenes. Pullman and DeVito were fantastic.

It's streaming on Netflix if you haven't seen it in a while.
Hikohadon

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Gotta be slow season if they're are breaking down the NFL in 2015.

Whats the matter they got tired of breaking down their mock draft for 2014?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby justmebd » Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm waiting for Bleacher Report to do their Power Ranking of ESPN's 2015 predictions, plus the fantasy sleepers.

This is why I start hating the offseason right about now.

ALSO: can someone just have the Allen Iverson "practice" video on standby so we can post it every time the media shits their pants over Tim Tebow missing a throw while wearing shorts in non-contact drills? :gah:
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jb » Fri May 25, 2012 8:48 am

To be fair, if you were a journeyman nfl vet benched to hand a job to Charlie freakin frye, you'd harbor resentment.

Up to this org to pull a Nati & earn respect. I hope this is in the locker room.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Fri May 25, 2012 8:58 am

Looks to me like all any of them are saying is they are not sure about Weeden.

And if the GM picked him, that would raise concern about the GM.

And if he does stink...we will be that bad in 2015.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Fri May 25, 2012 2:29 pm

pup wrote:Looks to me like all any of them are saying is they are not sure about Weeden.

I dunno if there is even so much concern about Weeden as there is a near certainty that the organization is bound to ruin him. And in response let me channel Hiko. You don't know that. This isn't the Palmer/Davis/RAC Browns. Just becsue ShineBoy folded with a cruddy supporting caste in the perfect storm of an off season doesn't mean Weeden is doomed.That's crap.

Other than the receiving corps, honestly, I see Weeden as being pretty hooked up short of stepping into a vet team that is a well humming machine. Unless the Scwartz is a complete bust and Lavauo is incapable of improvement and the kid from CU can't walk and chew gum, how is the OL not stablized? How does adding a TR not change the tone of the O? How can Childrss not help?

I dunno what Weeden can and will do in 2012 or over time. But he has some damn fine passing skills and the O has some sort of talent level. It isn't Charlie Frye in 2006. It isn't Quinn / DA in 2008. It isn't Couch in 99. It is what it is now.

Fatalism is not analysis.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Weedon didn't run called plays in college.

He ran the Tim Couch offense.

He didn't use snap counts either.

Guy has ZERO clue how to play in any sort of offense, let alone an NFL WC offense that is so timing dependant.

If there ever was a QB that needed to sit for a year it is him.

He won't get to sit for a year.

He's fucked.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Fri May 25, 2012 3:13 pm

jb wrote:
pup wrote:Looks to me like all any of them are saying is they are not sure about Weeden.

I dunno if there is even so much concern about Weeden as there is a near certainty that the organization is bound to ruin him. And in response let me channel Hiko. You don't know that. This isn't the Palmer/Davis/RAC Browns. Just becsue ShineBoy folded with a cruddy supporting caste in the perfect storm of an off season doesn't mean Weeden is doomed.That's crap.

Other than the receiving corps, honestly, I see Weeden as being pretty hooked up short of stepping into a vet team that is a well humming machine. Unless the Scwartz is a complete bust and Lavauo is incapable of improvement and the kid from CU can't walk and chew gum, how is the OL not stablized? How does adding a TR not change the tone of the O? How can Childrss not help?

I dunno what Weeden can and will do in 2012 or over time. But he has some damn fine passing skills and the O has some sort of talent level. It isn't Charlie Frye in 2006. It isn't Quinn / DA in 2008. It isn't Couch in 99. It is what it is now.

Fatalism is not analysis.

Nope. Pretty sure nobody is concerned about the Browns "ruining" QB's. I think they are more concerned with their ability to pick a good one. Hasn't been a coaching staff yet that "ruined" an All-Pro QB. At least not that I am aware of.

If Weeden can play, E$PN is wrong.
If he cannot, they are correct.

If anyone is unbiased, which would you pick?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Guy has ZERO clue how to play in any sort of offense, let alone an NFL WC offense that is so timing dependant.

Well Sjurmur has zero clue how to run an NFL offense, let alone a WC offense, so its perfect.

No, I know Weeden will struggle. That's a given to me. The team is just too inexperienced for 2012 with some holes at WR & TE to be "good". I just am not convinced he's set up to fail. Struggle not = fail.
jb

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:20 pm

When I first saw this article the other day I immediately thought that it was the biggest waste of time ever conceived... And that eas before I even knew the Browns were at the bottom. I mean seriously, how can anyone try to project this type of thing. All these dumbasses did Was say that the dominant teams now will be the same way in 3 years. Ridiculous.

4 years ago the Lions put together the worst team ever and everyone said they will always be a mess. Now they're contenders. I'd like to see all the jackasses now who said they will always be a joke.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Having a QB sit a year to "learn" is the stupidest, most overrated shit ever.

RG3 ran a stupid offense too. No way you sit him. Cam Newton - stupid offense. No way you sit him.

Maybe if you have a young QB who's not mentally ready and you have a veteran starter who can show him the ropes of being a pro in the NFL while still giving him advice on how to run the offense, THEN it's a good idea to sit the guy.

But if your starting QB is someone that doesn't know it that well and can't execute it well even if he did know it, the best way for a rookie QB to learn is to play.

Nobody learns shit watching Colt McCoy play QB except that he can't throw a deep out to save his life.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 pm

I agree with you in every instance you listed hiko. That said, the don't call plays, don't have a snap count offense is about 500 x worse for real football prep than anyone you mentioned above and he is surrounded by a bunch of other real young and raw players to try and learn with, not from. This is a rare instance, IMO
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL