Text Size

College Sports Arena

Post-Spring OSU Depth Chart

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Post-Spring OSU Depth Chart

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Released by Urban Meyer today:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1186998.html

Not a lot of surprises...Curtis Grant listed as starter at MLB over Storm Klein...anticipated after spring ball...

Doran Grant listed as co-starter with Travis Howard at one CB.

Meyer had praise for center Corey Linsley and tackle Michael Bennett.

Meyer comment getting the most attention...
the wide receiver group is "the most unprepared unit I've ever been around"

The guy sugarcoats nothing....
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Post-Spring OSU Depth Chart

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:27 pm

The quote where he says "I like Kenny Guiton and that shocks me" or something to that effect blew me away.

I mean, holy shit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The quote where he says "I like Kenny Guiton and that shocks me" or something to that effect blew me away.

I mean, holy shit.

I think the actual quote was "I like Kenny Guiton. I can't believe I'm saying that"

He explained that he meant it as a compliment....he had heard there wasn't much there, but once he saw the kid he liked him. Still it's passing strange to say it that way.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Yeah, the "Brax was a cool-kid who just did his own thing" quote was also surprising.

Frankly, all of his interviews need to be on the radio, it's a damn shame anyone, anywhere has to miss them.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed May 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I love Meyer interviews.... honesty is amazing!

No real shockers in the two deep. I know they say that Grant wasn't ready last year (curtis), but I gotta say that every rep that Storm Klein spent on the field was wasted. Even if Grant was lost, he had to have been better. More surprisingly, they wasted a year of elgibility by using Grant on special teams. Play him or don't.

I gotta think there will be more shake ups on that 2 deep when the freshman arrive on campus. I gotta think one of Washington or Spence breaks the 2 deep. At least one of Devan Bogard, Najee Murray or Amani Reeves is likely to break the 2 deep. I gotta think Marcus or Perkins gets on there as well. There will certainly be some OL that break the 2 deep as well... Dodson, O'Conner and Elflein still are on the way and Boren has already supplanted Bobek.

As bad as Meyer seems to hate the WRs I wouldn't be shocked to see Frank E. or Ricquan Southward get a serious look too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Yeah, the "Brax was a cool-kid who just did his own thing" quote was also surprising.

Frankly, all of his interviews need to be on the radio, it's a damn shame anyone, anywhere has to miss them.

Would you go on a show called "Common Man & The Torg"? They talk about pro wrestling for fuck's sake......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 am

Supposedly Shazier ran a 4.35 today, electric timed (granted the OSU track is notoriously fast) and Roby a 4.31.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 am

According to the 4-second long YouTube video posted by the elder Shazier, they were running not on the fast OSU track, but on the turf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hC6AEk ... ata_player

Either way, the idea of Shazier bulked up to 226 lbs (from 210 a year ago) and running a sub-4.4 40 is just downright scary.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed May 23, 2012 3:48 pm

After he posted the 40 times for Shazier and Roby the other day, guys at Scout were hounding nevada for the times of other players. He listed the following, and said they were electronically timed, in a manner identical to that used at the NFL combine. Take it FWIW:

Doran Grant 4.36
Devin Smith 4.37
Ryan Shazier 4.41
Travis Howard 4.46
Jake Stoneburner 4.49
John Simon 4.64
Braxton Miller 4.36

Most difficult for me to take at face value is the Stoneburner time of 4.49. And frankly, I'm skeptical of anything under 4.4

As one of my buddies always used to say "Yeah...down a mine shaft"

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed May 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I say add .1 to .15 to each of those and it is probably more accurate. What is more important is comparing them to each other... Doran Grant is a Rocket (as is Smith) so if Shazier is staying with those guys at 226, that tells you all you need to know. Brad Roby is a little faster so that is a good thing. I think the times relative to each other are good measures of speed, but the times themselves are bullshit.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 am

I'd buy this list adding a tenth to each one.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 am

danwismar wrote:Released by Urban Meyer today:

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1186998.html

Not a lot of surprises...Curtis Grant listed as starter at MLB over Storm Klein...anticipated after spring ball...

Doran Grant listed as co-starter with Travis Howard at one CB.

Meyer had praise for center Corey Linsley and tackle Michael Bennett.

Meyer comment getting the most attention...
the wide receiver group is "the most unprepared unit I've ever been around"

The guy sugarcoats nothing....

That is an indictment on Drayton as much as the players IMO. Lacking athletic ability or explosiveness is one thing, "the most unprepared" is another.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Return to College Sports Arena