Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Detroit series

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Detroit series

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 am

It has potential to be a bad one for us, forget that the seemingly unhittable Fister and Verlander are going in the series, the Detroit starter we have the best record against in this series is Verlander which tells its own story.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Re: Detroit series

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:24 am

My prediction: if the Indians win 2/3 or better I'll hear playoff talk.

If the Indians lose 2/3 or worse I'll hear how they blow and are doomed.

Neither is the case, of course. But it's May and this is how I keep track of the months and the weeks.

I do hope I can get a bit more of the attendance talk, Chris Perez talk, negativity talk and condescending "everyone not going is stupid or a Browns lemming or derserves it when the team leaves" talk in general.

Not that I don't think this franchise is immune from leaving if no one supports it. But bitching at those of here about it really solves nothing since we're going already and we're proselytizing as well.

It's as enoyable to me as hearing again how many events were at the Staples Center this weekend and how much work was involved changing the floor.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 am

peeker643 wrote:My prediction: if the Indians win 2/3 or better I'll hear playoff talk.

They are doomed and this is still a .500 team at overachieving best. The roster is what it is and Detroit is underachieveing.

This is like the Browns at 2 - 1 against a 1 - 2 Pittsburgh team. Don't get hooked. The TOR is still inconsisntent, the middle and lower line up blows over the long haul and D Lowe ainb't gonna prop it up for long with his epic K :: ratio. Likin' I dream of JenMar lately as a developing young arm tho. The bully is money. But that's no where near a contender no matter what the fits few eeks indicate.

The fans are smarter than Perez. But I got me 3 BP fill up cards so I'm getting closer to going, Chris, and giving the Dolans what they are worth investment-wise.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am

Just have to avoid a sweep and I think we will.

Also, do we have any realistic trade ammo to be in the game for the good rent-a-players come deadline time? Or did we basically cash in all our chips for Ubaldo? We have 2-3 spots in our lineup that aren't up to par for MLB standards, let alone a playoff contender. I'd kill for a .250 Fukudome type in left field right now, which is depressing.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:My prediction: if the Indians win 2/3 or better I'll hear playoff talk.

They are doomed and this is still a .500 team at overachieving best. The roster is what it is and Detroit is underachieveing.

This is like the Browns at 2 - 1 against a 1 - 2 Pittsburgh team. Don't get hooked. The TOR is still inconsisntent, the middle and lower line up blows over the long haul and D Lowe ainb't gonna prop it up for long with his epic K :: ratio. Likin' I dream of JenMar lately as a developing young arm tho. The bully is money. But that's no where near a contender no matter what the fits few eeks indicate.

The fans are smarter than Perez. But I got me 3 BP fill up cards so I'm getting closer to going, Chris, and giving the Dolans what they are worth investment-wise.

I tend to agree and mentioned I'm not of the belief they'll sustain this 'success'. Which only gets you 'hater' status from everyone dreaming of ice cream and rainbows.

Love to be wrong but it's hard to argue when you consider what you noted above and the myriad of other issues this team faces.

I am going to start a 'franchise sustainability' thread though. Love to hear your thoughts on if and for how long a team like Tribe can remain in Cleveland without an increase in attendance.

People will be all "Eff you and the moving and blah blah blah... I hate you.." but this team can't stay here forever with the attendance as it is. It won't stay here forever under those circumstances nor should it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 am

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:

I tend to agree and mentioned I'm not of the belief they'll sustain this 'success'. Which only gets you 'hater' status from everyone dreaming of ice cream and rainbows.

Love to be wrong but it's hard to argue when you consider what you noted above and the myriad of other issues this team faces.

I am going to start a 'franchise sustainability' thread though. Love to hear your thoughts on if and for how long a team like Tribe can remain in Cleveland without an increase in attendance.

People will be all "Eff you and the moving and blah blah blah... I hate you.." but this team can't stay here forever with the attendance as it is. It won't stay here forever under those circumstances nor should it.

Agree with all of that. Low attendance is due to a mindset that this is all a systemic pointless exercize due to ownership, ture or not. Let the barrage begin.
jb

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am

peeker643 wrote:If the Indians lose 2/3 or worse I'll hear how they blow and are doomed.

I'll take you up on that right now, Peeker.

Just look at the roster. Swiss cheese. Do Mark Shapiro and Chris Antonetti have ANY idea what they're doing? Do they know ANYTHING about professional baseball talent and roster composition? (Examples: A lack of right-handed power hitters on a home field with an inviting left-field home run porch. Or, for that matter, no bona fide power hitters AT ALL. A minor-league system that is ranked 29th of 30.) Shapiro/Antonetti have had more epic FAILS in the last three or four seasons alone than John Hart had in his entire 15 years with the Indians and Rangers.

This organization needs more baseball MINDS in the F.O. and more baseball PLAYERS on the field. But as long as .501 will win the AL Central and Lerner can make $30 million a year on this club, there is no hope of brighter days.

"Window of opportunity." Ha! That sucker has been banging in the breeze for an entire decade.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:04 am

jerryroche wrote:
peeker643 wrote:If the Indians lose 2/3 or worse I'll hear how they blow and are doomed.

But as long as .501 will win the AL Central and Lerner can make $30 million a year on this club, there is no hope of brighter days.

Perfect. Could have written that sentence alone and it would have summed up everything useful in that post.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby justmebd » Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 am

My promise to you and every Cleveland fan is that if I ever become a billionaire, I will buy this team and make them a winner!!!

Who's with me?!?!?!?!

(Goes back to reality, eats a sandwich)
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 21, 2012 3:07 pm

They swept Detroit last April and it didn't do them a bit of good.

The Tigers have plenty of problems and we'll get to see how we can expose them. The IF defense is terrible and if you keep Austin Jackson off the bases and pitch to Cabrera and Fielder with the bases empty, they struggle to score runs. Peralta just hit his 2nd HR of the season yesterday. Their middle relief is questionable.

The Tigers have already played 16 one-run games and are just a .500 ballclub against RH starters.

I think too much will be made of this series than is warranted, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not excited for it. They navigated through a really difficult part of the schedule by going 12-9. Regardless of the holes, the problems, whatever, this is not a bad ballclub. And that's with a lot of players performing below their mean and only a couple performing well over it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 21, 2012 7:21 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I think too much will be made of this series than is warranted, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not excited for it. They navigated through a really difficult part of the schedule by going 12-9. Regardless of the holes, the problems, whatever, this is not a bad ballclub. And that's with a lot of players performing below their mean and only a couple performing well over it.

This.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Indyan » Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 pm

justmebd wrote:My promise to you and every Cleveland fan is that if I ever become a billionaire, I will buy this team and make them a winner!!!

Who's with me?!?!?!?!

(Goes back to reality, eats a sandwich)

Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor.
Indyan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Well done sir, well done indeed.

On this board, about four people will get that, but I gotta give daps where they are deserved.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Just have to avoid a sweep and I think we will.

Yes, this. Winning the series would be gravy.

Also, do we have any realistic trade ammo to be in the game for the good rent-a-players come deadline time? Or did we basically cash in all our chips for Ubaldo? We have 2-3 spots in our lineup that aren't up to par for MLB standards, let alone a playoff contender. I'd kill for a .250 Fukudome type in left field right now, which is depressing.

If you really, absolutely, positively thought you were going for it this year, you could theoretically trade Chisenhall in the belief that Hannahan is your third baseman. The others in the upper minors (Laporta, Phelps) have dubious trade value...which might be enough to get somebody else's salary dump bat.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Jumbo wrote:

If you really, absolutely, positively thought you were going for it this year, you could theoretically trade Chisenhall in the belief that Hannahan is your third baseman. The others in the upper minors (Laporta, Phelps) have dubious trade value...which might be enough to get somebody else's salary dump bat.

Perez? :hide:

I see Grady as the mid season acquisition. If you're looking for pitching, ugh... not much tradeable value in minors.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 22, 2012 1:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:Perez? :hide:

Yeah, forgot to mention him. It's possible, but (leaving off the field aside) if the Indians weren't willing to deal him from a possible position of strength in the offseason, I doubt they would do it during the season, especially given Sipp's struggles.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Perez? :hide:

I see Grady as the mid season acquisition. If you're looking for pitching, ugh... not much tradeable value in minors.

Horrifyingly true. The legitimacy of this Indians season rests less on their ability to hit, which they will continue to do at a fehmehblah rate, but more on their ability to get Masterson straight again and continue to get good starts from Lowe, Tomlin, Gomez. I see Ubaldo as a complete disaster, and doubt Fauxberto makes an appearance this year.

A dominant 2011 version of Masterson, and you're doing a-ight. Without him, I dont even want to imagine the playoffs anyway.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 pm

Well crap G, that's depressing.

Am I alone in just being cautiously optimistic, reveling in every win, in incremental reasons for hope?

So much has already happened that wasn't counted on in the winter. Good: Hannahan's bat. Jeanmar. Lowe. etc. Bad: Ubaldo's trend. Sizemore hurt. No production at 1b, LF. Who knows how the rest of the season will play out?

I am imagining playoffs.

Edit: I googled the sandwich heavy portfolio thing so now we number five.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby scrambler » Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 pm

world series talk.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby scrambler » Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm officially excited about Tribe '12.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu May 24, 2012 6:00 am

I'm proud of the Indians for taking this series. I thought it was going to be a tough one and it has been, but they have come through so far. I wouldn't mind the same Shitcago over the weekend.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby jb » Fri May 25, 2012 2:31 pm

WORLD SERIES!
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Best. Run. Org. In. Cleveland.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri May 25, 2012 4:05 pm

I still think it's smoke and mirrors to an extent when looking at the offensive lineup, and even somewhat the starting rotation but at the same time, the Tigers and White Sox aren't the '98 Yankees either.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 25, 2012 9:39 pm

This series didn't help my chances in my wagers made at work. Bet this team would be below .500 for the season the day this series started, AND a week prior bet they'd be below .500 at the AS break.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Best. Run. Org. In. Cleveland.

I'm not hata. I'm a relata. I'm just gonna enjoy the run.

And I'll give you this. If they can't draft an impact player worth a damn since who, CC?, to save their lives. If they can't get more than Teddy the Wonder Lizzard for a pair of Cy Young aces. And if they did and they couldn't keep him and can't sign a meaningful impact FA because the system is rigged, then they are the masters at finding plug in chicken McNuggetts that are meaningful contributors. I'll give them that. Certainly the other orgs in town would be far better off if they could do anything close to likewise.

But with apologies to Adam, and propers for his PD link!! ,while games may not be won on paper, most of the time MLB is an exercize in regression to the mean, and seasons are certainly almost always won on paper. And I don't believe the paper. If you do, well..... then look at TT's stat line. :hide:

Just gonna enjoy the run like a fan.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm

You're not a hater JB, you're just a Cleveland Radio circa 2005 talking point regurgitater.

Still rambling on about Mirabelli and shit.... christ.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 27, 2012 2:49 am

jb wrote:But with apologies to Adam, and propers for his PD link!!

PD link? Did I miss something?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB