Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Cleveland Sports Sophie's Choice ;-)

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Cleveland Sports Sophie's Choice ;-)

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:31 pm

You MUST kill two so one can live long and thrive (no guarantees of thriving but everyone would kill the Cavs and take the easy way out with that one choice).

Kill Two so one can thrive:

I kill the Cavs immediately and then weep while I put the pillow over the Browns head.

Too huge a baseball fan and too much a part of my upbringing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Cleveland Sports Sophie's Choice ;-)

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Cappin' the Cavs without a second thought.

I'd euthanize the Browns. Put them out of their misery humanely.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Can we set an over/under line on how long it would take each respective league - or the rest of the country for that matter, to realize they're gone?

By the way, I keep the Tribe. My rationale is simple, I'll watch the NBA outside of the Cavs. I'll watch the NFL outside of the Browns. The last time I watched a regular season baseball game wire to wire that wasn't the Tribe....couldn't tell you.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Bigfist » Mon May 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Agree with the Cavs...and sorry Chief Wahoo.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm

leadpipe wrote:By the way, I keep the Tribe. My rationale is simple, I'll watch the NBA outside of the Cavs. I'll watch the NFL outside of the Browns. The last time I watched a regular season baseball game wire to wire that wasn't the Tribe....couldn't tell you.

Exact same rational I would use (eff, I'm hardly even a Cavs/Browns fan at this point, I just passively pay attention to them, especially the Cavs because of how quality the rest of the NBA is). Although part of me thinks Cleveland deserves nothing but the Browns, it would be a fitting and deserved fate.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Spin » Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Goodnight Cavs, sorry Chief Wahoo.

Born and bred football fanatic here. And the sport is that much higher than the rest. And rising.

I would trade 5 NBA titles or 3 World Series for one single Super Bowl.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm keeping the Tribe.

Basically all I'm getting out of the Browns for $700 per year is 8 drunken fall mornings with 3 hours of boredom thereafter. I could just go down the street to Johnny Malloy's and get the same thing for 1/4 of the price.

I have zero interest in the NBA unless #6 suffers a career-ending injury.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 21, 2012 5:48 pm

No brainer

Off the Cavs and the Browns.

The Tribe is too constant. Every day for months. Background noise every summer night even if you aren't really watching. Too nice to be able to take a ride downtown for a game on a whim (not that anyone is currently doing that).

I love the Browns, but I'd rather watch football on TV anyway. And it's just a few hours down I71 for a better in person game day football experience anyway.

The Cavs...I'd miss them for sure, but I'm a complete bandwagon jumper. I have LeBron to blame for making me give a shit at all.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 pm

See ya Tribe & Cavs.

Playoff football in this town is fantastic, and an NBA crown nor WS title would top a Superbowl victory here.

But I truly wouldn't want to lose any of them, they all bring a joy when winning and fill a void when not for me.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Gee, this is a tough one.

Well, outside of my fantasy team I don't care about baseball, I'm not even an Indians fan (there are other teams I like more)... so buh-bye.

And the NBA sucks and I only pay attention to the Cavs once the playoffs start (if they start)... so farewell.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Gee, this is a tough one.

Well, outside of my fantasy team I don't care about baseball, I'm not even an Indians fan (there are other teams I like more)... so buh-bye.

And the NBA sucks and I only pay attention to the Cavs once the playoffs start (if they start)... so farewell.

WHAT!?!?!
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon May 21, 2012 6:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Gee, this is a tough one.

WHAT!?!?!

1. Papa no like baseball. Never took me to one game ever.

2. Team bad for all of childhood, so no peer pressure to care about them.

3. We had family in Toronto that took me to my first game (probably first 10 games), so grew up with Blue Jays as my team.

4. Went to all of 3 Indians games between the years 1972 - 2003.

5. Did not live in Ohio from 1991 - 2003. Did not get to experience what it felt like to be in the area when the teams were perennial contenders.

6. Have been to probably 10 times more Yankees games than Indians games since hopping on the subway with some friends and taking in a game from the $5 bleacher seats was a common occurrence when I lived in NYC. Not a Yankees fan, because, as I stated before, I don't really care about baseball. But I certainly don't hate them the way y'all do. I reserve that hatred for the Red Sox.

Since I moved back to Ohio, I have been actively trying to get into the Indians. Really. Truly. At this point, whatever championship Cleveland can get, I'll gladly take it.

But it's baseball... and the Indians' business model is just so terrible.

If it helps, if I'm at the game, I root for the Indians no matter who they're playing.

Which I think underlines how little I care about baseball.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby swerb » Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 pm

I keep the Indians. Without even thinking bout it. Baseball is a beautiful game.

Been living without NFL Football for 20 years now, so the transition would be easier.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dmiles » Mon May 21, 2012 10:09 pm

I keep the Tribe.

The loss of the Browns, and my susequent mandatory banning of all NFL in my house meant I got used to not giving a shit about what happens on Sunday. They've sucked me in a few times, but once I left Ohio in 2005 and had to put forth major effort to watch the Browns, forget it. Kids always had travel ball games on sundays and I wasn't missing that to sit on a hard chair in a bar dropping $40. I can't be bothered to watch non-Browns NFL games, it just puts me to sleep. I definitely cannot watch the NFL around a bunch of partisans, I am still too bitter about what the old Brownies meant to me and sitting in a Dallas Cowboys bar with a bunch of happy fans just drives me to drink.

Cavs I frankly grew up loving but I watch NBA basketball regularly and can live without them. The Lebron thing took a lot of me.

So give me the baseball, and ironically when I was younger (now 43) the Tribe were my least favorite of the three.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 pm

That crazy d... I was all MLB as a youngin, all NFL as a high school kid then middle of college I found the NBA and it was all over.

That said, I do think moving away made it really easy to stop really giving a fuck about a shit team like the Browns, Gilbert ruins the Cavs for me and baseball will always be a one team love for me.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Baseball.

Pro basketball in nearly unwatchable, and football is best on Fridays and Saturdays anyway.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Keep the Tribe because there's nothing better than an MLB game in the summer when the weather is finally nice (well a live NHL game is better than anything), and the NBA blows. If I want to watch a fat black guy yelling at me to make some noise I'll watch The Voice.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Yep, the NBA is certainly defined by fat black dudes yelling at the crowd. See it every game.

SMH
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby bookelly » Tue May 22, 2012 12:20 am

If the actual situation were to arise where 2 out of 3 teams had to be culled, I would think that we would have a lot more serious problems than pro sports. In fact, all 3 teams would probably be gone.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby dmiles » Tue May 22, 2012 12:26 am

Honestly it would be tough, I had the NBA package, but always watched Cavs games first, and then usually whatever the best game in the PST zone was after everyone went to bed.

I am wrestling with this as it seems my answers are a bit inconsistent. On one hand I am saying the Browns can go because I just don't care about the NFL that much anymore whereas on the other hand I say the Cavs can go because I don't mind watching the sport without a Cleveland team.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 am

With work going bonkers I watched more PST hoops than anything this year, playoffs have been the same. I couldn't do sports without West Coast hoops. One of the reasons I am so bothered by the Warriors moving to SF.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue May 22, 2012 3:14 am

1st, bu-bye Cavs. Didn't get into b-ball until our daughter fell in love with it playing from 4th thru 8th grade (early 1990s). Started listening to games regularly when I found out you could stream the games free (if it's free it's for me!) about two or three years before LeQuitness left. Stuck around for Joe Tait's last year of calling games and haven't really listened since.

2nd, so long Browns. Got into football when I was in high school, followed the Browns from the 1970s till they left. (When we sold our first house in 1990 the agent said we had to paint our "Cleveland Browns" family room. What? It wasn't a Browns room! "*ahem* Brown carpet/orange walls." Hmm, must have been subconscious. Our son played his HS varsity years the three years they were gone. Then we moved when the team came back. Hard to follow when you watched a bunch of kids play for the love of the game, then you move to where your sucky coach who fired Kosar is now coaching.

Tribe stays. Mom taught me all about the game when I was 8. As a kid, after dinner she would wash dishes, I would dry, and Jimmy Dudley would call the game from on top of the refrigerator. In the '70s we would sit on the screened back porch with Herb Score, eating leftover chicken from Mom's catering gigs and drinking beer. Mom was a fan till the end - and knowing her, she's probably still listening "up there". When we moved to MA my hubby found out that WTAM streamed the games on-line. Not real reliable in the dial-up days but not a problem now. Baseball is the only sport I have (or would) shell out the money for just to hear the games. Plus, I just Image the game of baseball. Just don't pick me for your team - I can't bat, run, or throw!
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby comish » Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 am

The Cavs get the FULLY LOADED revolver to play Russian Roulette first while I watch and eat popcorn

Then

Man that's tough. I like the NFL so much more, BUT generally I am used to keeing the Browns on the smaller TV in my bar and focusing on the business of winning my FF games or keeping an eye on my financial futures in other contests....I'd still watch without em, there is no doubt.

I usually have ZERO interest in watching any other MLB team play, so losing the Tribe would probably kill my consumer involvement with the sport. PLUS, I remember how fun it was watching the games and bantering on here when they made their run a few years ago....that was a riveting summer.

BUT. For all of you saying you would pick the Tribe...look how much excitement and chatter on these boards the Browns generate. Even if you hate the Unholy Trinity in charge....you are watching and giving opinions....most of the time around here the Tribe takes a big time back seat to ANY type of Browns news. The comments by CP and subsequent discussions is one of the first times in a long time outside of a game thread I saw some interesting discourse surrounding the Indians.

Next to go...by a nose hair: The Tribe...but it is far more painful than watching the Cavs off themselves.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 am

Sophie's actual choice was easier then this one.

I find it surprising how many would pick the Tribe over the Browns which tells me the people on this board are not a good representation of the NEO populous. I think if I put it to a vote, the citizens of the region would not only vote to tear down the Jake if it meant the Browns where at risk, but would also pass additional levy's to pay for for the demolition, while neglecting the school levy's in there local municipalities.

At this point I am not even sure the Tribe would beat the Cavs in a vote.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby General » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am

Since I am not in town the game day experience is nonexistent for me but I have never liked the NBA or basketball for that matter, so buh-bye Cadavaliers and whatever you want to call that organization on the lakefront, they need to go to remove the distraction that they are to me on Sunday. Baseball is too beautiful of a game. Nothing compares to sitting in a baseball stadium and taking in a game. Very different than the insanity of the other two. I guess I'm getting old.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 am

Govbarney wrote:Sophie's actual choice was easier then this one.

I find it surprising how many would pick the Tribe over the Browns which tells me the people on this board are not a good representation of the NEO populous. I think if I put it to a vote, the citizens of the region would not only vote to tear down the Jake if it meant the Browns where at risk, but would also pass additional levy's to pay for for the demolition, while neglecting the school levy's in there local municipalities.

At this point I am not even sure the Tribe would beat the Cavs in a vote.

There's a seasonality to the boards and a bias running this now when emotions are stoked due to Perez, etc.

No question. You run it in October when the Indians are home and Weeden just threw a 4th quarter TD pass to Moore to win a game and it's probably a bit different.

Same if Cavs draft Davis and make playoffs next May after shitty Browns season and bad Tribe start.

For some anyway. For many it's ingrained.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:59 am

Not gonna lie, I am already stuggling with the potential of balancing the likability of Davis and Kyrie (and the death of TT that would come from drafting Davis) w/ the flat out disgust of Gilbert. It's not a fun situation.

Similar issues with MKG/Beal.

Uhg.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 am

Govbarney wrote:I find it surprising how many would pick the Tribe over the Browns which tells me the people on this board are not a good representation of the NEO populous.

Doesn't hurt that this thread is in the Indians forum, and there are a lot of people that post in this forum who don't post much in the Browns/Cavs forums. If it were in the Browns forum, you'd get a much different answer. If it were posted in the NBA forum, you'd get crickets.

Plus, everybody's caught up in summertime. By August, the answer would change for some people.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 am

Plus at this point on asshats like JB actually think the Browns had a great draft and are set to go 500. Gotta wait until all the drunks at camp start reporting on how great they look before people get really stoopid.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 am

How about we play Marry, F, Kill: Cleveland Franchise Edition? Now THAT could be epic.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

Adverb Harry wrote:How about we play Marry, F, Kill: Cleveland Franchise Edition? Now THAT could be epic.

It'd have to be:

M- Indians
F- the Browns (I say those those words every Sunday night)
K- The Cavs.

Pretty much same game we're playing already ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Pretty obvious for me that I keep the Indians. The Cavs/NBA is an entertaining diversion, extra-so when Lebron was here, but I'm not a die-hard basketball fan and I've probably only caught about 30 minutes of playoff basketball this year. (The Spurs/Thunder series should be good though.) If the Browns were good, it would be close, but I still have to go with love of baseball (helped by 162 games vs 8) to pick them.

Govbarney wrote:I find it surprising how many would pick the Tribe over the Browns which tells me the people on this board are not a good representation of the NEO populous.

In part because it isn't, given the out-of-towners on this board. FWIW, I think it's much easier to follow baseball than the other sports from elsewhere, although the gap has lessened since sports packages have become common. When you aren't part of the "football experience" of the Muni Lot and all that, you wouldn't be missing it anyway if it ceased to exist.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue May 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Govbarney wrote: the people on this board are not a good representation of the NEO populous.

Steelers fans? That speaks volumes. Met many Pirates fans in NEO? Can anyone honestly say they go to a Browns game for the game itself?

I used to go to drink and hang out. Now I won't waste the gas money.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I think you are a bit off in terms of MLB being easier to follow driving the out of town interest, I just think point blank today the NFL/NBA are national sports where people are genuinely attracted to the sports whereas baseball has become a purely regional sport where even nationally televised games struggle to get eyes that aren't fans of either team. The current era MLB is kind of an "all home town or nothing" league, which cannot be said about either of the other two.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue May 22, 2012 1:31 pm

The thing that makes me also lean towards keeping the Tribe is how great Jacobs field is compared to that cookie cutter travesty they put up over night on the lake shore. That coupled with the fact that I live a stones throw away from the football cathedral in The Shoe

In the end I really can't say which franchise I would choose, but if I had to pick one I think it comes down to what my favorite sport is, and in that case Football beats Baseball by a nose, (with horse racing to show). So I guess I would pick The Browns.

If the Tribe ever did leave (which I don't ever see happening), It only be a short matter of time before Cleveland would get a Triple A team. Only thing left to do then would be to fight Indianapolis for the name Indians. Maybe we could just do a 1 for 1 swap.
Last edited by Govbarney on Tue May 22, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue May 22, 2012 1:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I think you are a bit off in terms of MLB being easier to follow driving the out of town interest, I just think point blank today the NFL/NBA are national sports where people are genuinely attracted to the sports whereas baseball has become a purely regional sport where even nationally televised games struggle to get eyes that aren't fans of either team. The current era MLB is kind of an "all home town or nothing" league, which cannot be said about either of the other two.

OK, maybe "easier to follow" isn't the right way to put it (although I think the relative usefulness of baseball stastics vs. those for football and basketball make it easier to not watch the games and still follow the team, as it was during the pre-constant Internet and pre-national package era of late 90s and early 2000s).

But, because of the "home town" or nothing approach to baseball, perhaps that means that when you leave town you are more likely to remain attached to your home town team, but as for the NFL and NBA you get caught up more in the national aspects?
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 pm

The ease of listening might play into why baseball is easier to follow a team not located in your area. I actually prefer listening to a game on the radio/laptop rather than sit those 3 or 4 (or, in the case of a Sux/skankees game, Five or Six) hours and watch on TV. The fact that Tom Hamilton has a very listenable voice doesn't hurt - try listening to Bahstun's Joe Castiglione.

Baseball is a slow game. I don't need to sit and watch the fill-in time spent with the batter scratching and adjusting, or the pitcher spitting.

If I HAD to sit and watch an entire game I'd pick football no matter who was playing. It's fast and exciting. And anybody knows you don't have to turn a b-ball game on until the final 2 minutes. ;-) ;) :wink:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB