Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU Secondary Violations

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU Secondary Violations

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:44 am

Not a big deal, but OSU has reported 46 secondary violations since JT was fired.....

Highlights:

Some of OSU's self-reported violations

Among the secondary NCAA violations within the OSU athletic department since May 30, 2011, here are some related to the major sports of football and men's basketball. All were secondary NCAA violations.

Football coach Urban Meyer said "Good luck," to recruit Noah Spence before his state championship game in Pennsylvania in December. Contact like that with Spence, on his game day, is forbidden.

[Athletic director Gene Smith and alumni association CEO Archie Griffin recorded a personalized video for football recruit Ezekiel Elliott for his official campus visit on March 31. Recruiting videos are forbidden.

Assistant football coach Mike Vrabel used smokeless tobacco on the sidelines during games, which was reported to Ohio State anonymously by an area health teacher. NCAA rules forbid tobacco use during games or practices.

Greg Paulus, the basketball team's video coordinator, was reported to be coaching players during the Buckeyes' Big Ten Tournament semifinal win over Michigan on March 10. Video coordinators, who aren't full assistants, may not coach players. The violation was discovered after a general conversation between an OSU player's parent and an assistant athletic director.

Last August, quality control football staffer Kirk Barton, a former OSU offensive lineman, created and ordered 20 "JT" bracelets for $5 each online to honor former coach Jim Tressel. He intended them for friends and family, but several players asked Barton about the bracelets. He sold seven players the bracelets for $15, charging that amount in an attempt to make sure no violation was committed, knowing that giving them out for free would be an NCAA violation. But selling them still was deemed a violation because players had access to something not available to the general public. The players returned the bracelets.

Assistant coach Stan Drayton last July accidentally sent a text message to a recruit when he meant to send an email. Emails were permissible. Text messages were not.

On Aug. 20, assistant coach Dick Tressel responded to a text message from the parents of recruit Warren Ball asking which gate to use to enter Ohio Stadium for a scrimmage. Texting the parents of a recruit was a violation.

In December of 2010, five current football players took five recruits on OSU visits to a movie. NCAA rules allow each recruit $60 in spending money for entertainment. A cab ride to the movie put each recruit between $1 and $5 over budget, which the football players paid out of pocket. That was not allowed because the $60 limit was exceeded.

The school realized that during three days of the football team's Rose Bowl trip from Dec. 26, 2009, to Jan. 2, 2010, the players received both a $15 per diem and breakfast. That pushed them over the allowable three meals of $45 per diem.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... d_gen.html

Effin health teacher dick.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: OSU Secondary Violations

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 18, 2012 9:10 am

Well...... I guess rules are rules, no matter how dumb they appear.

My favorites are the tobacco and the $1-$5 overage on the trip to the movies. Going to the movies is expensive as shit.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:47 am

The tobacco is hilarious. I've seen literally dozens of college coaches dip on the sidelines and some pretentious bitch health teach rats on Vrable. Someone needs to find that slut and start snitchin on shit like run out meters, double parking and J-Walkin.

The only one that bothers me is the video for EZ-E (which I posted here). You would think the gawdamn AD would know if something was a violation. Effin Gene Smith.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby danwismar » Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The only one that bothers me is the video for EZ-E (which I posted here). You would think the gawdamn AD would know if something was a violation. Effin Gene Smith.

Yeah, I remember scoffing at the time at someone's (Peeker, I think) suggestion that the stupid Gene Smith/Archie Griffin welcome video for Elliott's recruiting trip might be a violation of some sort...because after all these guys had just been through the NCAA wringer, and they couldn't possibly be stupid enough to do something like that if it were a violation...and it's their job to know what's a violation...right?

Well, once again I'm wrong and Peeks was right...don't mind admitting it. But Jesus, how do these guys keep their jobs?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:59 pm

That whole list is chickenshit for the most part.

Complete and unadulterated chickenshit.

I understand the video issue (and so should the program's leaders) but, Jesus, are you kidding me with that stuff.

I haven't watched ESPN but I imagine in the SEC and on ESPN that "46!!!!!" is the headline.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 18, 2012 3:17 pm

NEIN! ES IST NICHT erlaubt zu sagen "VIEL GLÜCK", einen Rekruten! Sollst du zu den verbotenen zone verbannt werden!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to College Sports Arena