Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Junior Seau Found Dead

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Junior Seau Found Dead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:The soothing effect of the suicide option to the person committing it is - unlike most big decisions - you don't have to worry about the consequences. You don't have to deal with your family's grief or people calling you a coward or your bills or your bitchy girlfriend or your car engine or your job or your weight or your cholesterol level or growing old or your health insurance or your pension. You just get erased, and everything else gets erased with it.

What about hell?

You have to believe in that. Then you have to believe that you're not already in it.

Religion has certainly put in provisions to try to prevent people from taking the easy way out. It would really fuck up the slave labor system.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby rk » Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 pm

jb wrote:What about hell?

Cue Cleveland joke machine...
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:The soothing effect of the suicide option to the person committing it is - unlike most big decisions - you don't have to worry about the consequences. You don't have to deal with your family's grief or people calling you a coward or your bills or your bitchy girlfriend or your car engine or your job or your weight or your cholesterol level or growing old or your health insurance or your pension. You just get erased, and everything else gets erased with it.

I can't even bear to think of people trying to get along without me. Is it even possible?

Wouldn't be fair to all of you.

That's what keeps me pressing on...you guys...
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby General » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

I had a concussion in a car accident three years ago. I just can't go on anymore.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Maybe he hit his head really hard when his car fell a hundred feet? That doesn't seem plausible? I haven't seen anything really about that yet.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Rob Delany on depression:

http://robdelaney.tumblr.com/post/414007899/on-depression-getting-help

I had to unfollow that fucking nut bag. If I wanted to hear his every waking, conscious thought I'd live the fuck weed.

Horrible follow.

25% funny as hell, 75% annoying.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Rob Delany on depression:

http://robdelaney.tumblr.com/post/414007899/on-depression-getting-help

I had to unfollow that fucking nut bag. If I wanted to hear his every waking, conscious thought I'd live the fuck weed.

Horrible follow.

25% funny as hell, 75% annoying.

Can't really argue with any of that. I still find the 25% worth it.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Spin » Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Spin wrote:That would depend on the extent of damage. They obviously caused SOME damage, you wound up going to Kent State.

Fuck you Spin, I've had food babies with more inherent value then the entire city of Akron.

The multiple concussion issue is huge.

We've got an entire Concussion Protocol now that includes being cleared by 2 doctors, a trainer, and passing a cognitive function test. And a required 7 day waiting period after symptoms have subsided before any kid is allowed back on the field.

Fuck you too.

Well that puts Kent State one up on Pittsburgh. I was trainer for the hockey team last winter, and tried to bench a UPitt player because he said everything was foggy and he didn't know where he was on the ice. The fuckin UPitt coach wanted to argue with me. I went to the ref, told him I could run a SCAT2 on him if he wanted, but he already had four of the exclusions before I even started. The ref went right to the coach and parked him.

Of all places, you would think a hockey coach in Pittsburgh would understand the problems with concussions, after what the NHL team went through with its best player. Fuckers glared at me the rest of the night, wouldn't shake my hand after the game.

Stupid fucks. Just one more reason to hate that city.
Last edited by Spin on Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

A friend of his was on today, and he suffered a concussion in an MLS game. That's when Junior told him he had constant headaches.

Amazing posts. To be expected, but still amazing no less. Any dumb ass who thinks a concussion somehow compares to 30 years of playing football needs kicked in the nuts.
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm

I've suffered from what I believe to be depression since about the time I was 16 or so. I'm 25 now. I say "what I believe to be depression" because I've never actually seen anyone for it, although when my parents separated when I was 9, my mom sent me to a psychologist and I remember never wanting to talk about anything with him. In retrospect, it was a waste of money for her.

In any event, depression is such a multi-faceted condition. The slightest of triggers will set mine off, something as minor as losing a bet or getting into an argument with my parents, which, yes, still can happen at 25. Sometimes it lasts for a couple days and sometimes it lasts for a couple hours. There are times where it will keep me up at night and I'll just lay in bed listening to melancholy songs on my iPod.

When I get my worst, I'll question my self-worth. I always tend to be rational and logical when having a bout with my depression and have never attempted nor seriously considered committing suicide. The thought has crossed my mind, albeit very quickly and then it's gone. I've got too much to live for. But, certainly, I get to feeling like shit about myself, my accomplishments, and disagree with people on what they think I do well.

It's nearly impossible for my fiancee to get me out of those moods sometimes. It's frustrating for her and me because it consumes me and I simply can't get rid of it. It hangs there until it passes.

And I've never been concussed, really haven't endured too many horrible experiences (mainly the death of my sister from brain cancer when I was 17 and the splitting up of my parents as a kid and then having to listen to them badmouth each other every day, and that still continues even now). Quite frankly, I have very few reasons to suffer any periods of depression. Yet I do. Apparently, it's just the way that my brain is wired.

So, in regards to Junior Seau, if his wiring is irreparably fucked up from brain damage, no matter what kind of person he was in the past, this can, obviously, be the end result. People who don't understand what it's like to experience depression can sit there and chastise suicide as the coward's way out or whatever.

I've never gone to see anybody because I feel like I can control it if I have to. Sometimes it just takes me over and I don't care enough to fight it because I know it'll take something catastrophic to make me do something regrettable or worse. Seau probably felt the same way. Money, possessions, family...none of it really means anything to someone with depression when they're going through a bout of it. All they're focused on is their own lack of self-worth and inability to get out of the mood they're in.

Again, I'm just speaking from my own experiences with it. I imagine what I feel is magnified hundreds of times over with the parts of the brain that concussions and head trauma can affect.

Seau is just another of a statistic, thrust into the limelight because of what has been going on with ex-NFL players. Maybe he did seek help, maybe he didn't. Maybe this was the end result all along, no matter what precautions he or his family took to prevent it.

It's sad. Depression's a serious thing.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu May 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Spin wrote:Well that puts Kent State one up on Pittsburgh.

One? Holy Jeebus man, you can't possibly like Kent only slightly better than Pittspuke.

Another parent called today to say her daughter got her bell rung this weekend and wouldn't be in school. Her Doc wants her baseline Impact test to compare cog function before she's allowed back in school.

BTW, soccer is a worse offender than football, at least in HS.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 pm

General wrote:I had a concussion in a car accident three years ago. I just can't go on anymore.

Apparently the current trend for a cure is a self-inflicted .45 into your heart

Whatever happened to gutting it out?

.....or acquire a death wish?

Take up skydiving

Ride a motorcycle 100mph in heavy traffic

Hang glide off Big Sur

Can't take the pain and off yourself....leave your family to deal with it?

Yeah, he took the cowards way out
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:One? Holy Jeebus man, you can't possibly like Kent only slightly better than Pittspuke.

Calling Kent-Akron a rivalry is kind of amusing to me.

I'm friends with a guy pretty heavily involved with their AD, and the worst we do is bust each other over it.

it's more like a sibling rivarly, than say 'Bama-Auburn or TOSU/scUM which is just flat out hatred imo.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Parker_ASN » Thu May 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:One? Holy Jeebus man, you can't possibly like Kent only slightly better than Pittspuke.

Calling Kent-Akron a rivalry is kind of amusing to me.

I'm friends with a guy pretty heavily involved with their AD, and the worst we do is bust each other over it.

it's more like a sibling rivarly, than say 'Bama-Auburn or TOSU/scUM which is just flat out hatred imo.

Wow, can't disagree more. It is one of the biggest 'small school' rivalries in America. I would consider something like Cincinnati-Xavier a sibling rivalry. Most fans of either Akron or Kent hate the other school just as much as an Ohio State hates Michigan and visa-versa.

To Junior Seau, this has been bothering me all day. Seeing his mother and father crying has really put a burden on me.
Aeros lose for the first time in nine days.
http://akronsportsnow.com/aeros-fall-in-series-finale/
Parker_ASN

Favorite Player: Joey Votto
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
General wrote:I had a concussion in a car accident three years ago. I just can't go on anymore.

Apparently the current trend for a cure is a self-inflicted .45 into your heart

Whatever happened to gutting it out?

.....or acquire a death wish?

Take up skydiving

Ride a motorcycle 100mph in heavy traffic

Hang glide off Big Sur

Can't take the pain and off yourself....leave your family to deal with it?

Yeah, he took the cowards way out

Walk a mile in his head and then judge.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Thats not judging him its opinion.

Far be it from me to be the Judge...

I ain't goin' to Hell
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Thats not judging him its opinion.

I ain't goin' to Hell

So you say.

How is opinion not based on a judgement?
Hikohadon

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri May 04, 2012 7:28 am

Hikohadon wrote:

I ain't goin' to Hell

So you say.

How is opinion not based on a judgement?

Easy

I presented an opinion which happened to be based on my own thoughts yrs ago of doing the same thing and some personal experienbce with the results of the actions

Its the easy way out

It doesn't take guts to pull the trigger....it only takes a millisecond

I feel for his kids, friends and family that he didn't care enuff about to prevent them of dealing with what will be yrs of pain and 2nd guessing

My opinion mite also be jaded because about 25 yrs ago my sister broke up with a boyfriend and on the night of my cousins wedding in which my sister was a part of, he called my cousins house after the wedding when they were all hanging around, asked for my sister, she answered the phone, then he shot himsllf in the head.....

If I ever run into him in the after life, I'm going to shoot him again for what he did to her
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby FUDU » Fri May 04, 2012 9:02 am

It's pointless, in fact, to try to find a single answer

Hands down the quote of the article.

Great find peek, thanks for the link.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 04, 2012 11:08 am

Jeezus FMB. That's one of the worst things I've ever heard. Wow.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Spin » Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 am

I gotta admit I'm really split on all of this.

The medical professional side of me says that something needs to be done. We've seen so much evidence of head injuries in football.

The firefighter side of me says that an adult who chooses to take part in something dangerous, should already know the risks. Whether it's skydiving, or scuba diving, or getting in a plane or boat, or on a motorcycle, or getting on a back road in a fast car and laying the wood to it. As a veteran firefighter I sometimes ask myself if going into an unoccupied burning structure (especially one that has long been abandoned) is bravery or thrill seeking. I think everybody would have an answer that is somewhere in between.

And now, since we know the effects of concussions and cumulative head injuries, does the modern player have any legal recourse against the league and equipment manufacturers? If you know the risk is there and you still suit up and play, isn't that implied consent?

Sometimes I question whether I want to even watch football anymore. But that is ignorant to the number of head injuries (especially concussions) in other sports like hockey and soccer. Thinking back to post-crash interviews of race car drivers, are they suffering concussions? What about baseball? Boxing has not been brought up, and the whole idea of boxing is to CAUSE a concussion. We can pretend it's to throw more punches and get more points, but come on. They really want to lay down a knock-out.

Not an easy decision for sure.
Last edited by Spin on Sat May 05, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:30 am

Bottom line for me?

There are NASCAR drivers hitting walls at 220mph. Willingly and knowingly, if accidentally.

Do what you absolutely can to protect these players and then to protect the league.

We won't watch when no one plays.

So sick of this Nancy-assed world. Boxers are going to start suing opponents for assault.

If you're too fucking stupid to realize football equals collision and collisions sometimes equate to injury then by all means, shoot yourself. Because that's being too goddamn dumb to deserve to walk the streets.

The Seau thing is sad. But literally tens of thousands of NFL players have died of natural causes. If the game has gotten too big and too fast then do what needs to be done to minimize the risks and by all means throw the book at assholes who are too stupid to keep $10,000 bounties from becoming public.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm

When soldiers sign up for military service, they know perfectly well that this decision could lead to a situation where they receive bodily harm.

Same for firefighters, police officers, bodyguards, Alaskan deep-sea fishermen, high-rise construction, etc. etc. etc. You take as many precautions as you can, but you are aware that your job can be dangerous, so you have to live (or die) with the consequences if that's what you want to do.

The only reason football is in this light is because of its immense popularity. As Spin said, how are boxing and MMA not at the forefront of this discussion, sports where blows to the head are tactical? How many times do soccer players bang the ball with their heads (or each other's heads when contesting a ball)? Hockey, even basketball... any sport where contact is commonplace.

If you don't want the possible consequences, don't do that job.

If you get lung cancer, don't blame the cigarettes. You didn't have to smoke them.

I don't see why the NFL's lawyers can't make some binding hold-harmless contract that every player must sign prior to playing a down of professional football.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:38 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I don't see why the NFL's lawyers can't make some binding hold-harmless contract that every player must sign prior to playing a down of professional football.

I'd imagine they do. That would be fine in most cases and is. But my guess is that they'll argue willful and wanton and that the egregious situation the owners have put the players in will exceed what the players signed off on.

Example- tickets on the back say that teams and players aren't liable if you get hit by a ball leaving the playing field.

98% of the time that applies. But is Michael Brantley snaps and throws his bat at you or throws a ball at a fan, that ticket shit ain't helping the home team.

If the NFL isn't hiding anything or condoning, sponsoring, etc and they are killing guys who are leading w/helmet then they'll be okay.

Again, this is why the penalties for the bounty transgressions and helmet-to-helmet hits have been ratcheted up.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Sat May 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I don't have anything useful to add here except for the time we met him with my oldest kid. A friend of mine out there wrote this article, he was the Chargers beat guy for the NC times. The interesting thing is he writes a little story about my best friend back in his bouncer days before becoming a salesman. As an aside the author and my friend mentioned in the article were my all-star assistant coaches in our failed attempt to get to Williamsport in 2010. We had a great time those LL years, A whole group of these guys from LL still get together and have coffee every Tuesday morning in Cardiff. I do wish I were still there but I digress.

http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/sports/paris/paris-seau-was-never-too-big-for-the-little-people/article_f966202b-8c2e-5099-ac4d-2aa176e20319.html

We bumped into Jr. accidentally because I went to my kid's 8th grade flag football game at Bishops and they held the game off-site at some public elementary. I know, I know, flag is lame but we were at the school that Brian Sipe was head coach and he loved it because it taught his offense (Wing-T) to JH kids so they came in ready to go. Anyway I parked behind the school because I was running late and the only other car was a Jag. As we are leaving it's Seau and his kid (Seau is my age, and his son my kid's age). Anyway he started up conversation, I didn't want to bug him, not to mention he was an intimidating looking dude I wasn't about to piss him off. Really nice guy, told my kid keep playing man, keep hustling all that good stuff an impressionable kid needs to hear. He was just a dad that day.

Most of my SD friends are really bummed about all this. I know it's just a guy dead from suicide but he was a big deal out there.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 09, 2012 11:40 pm

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:49 am

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/05/junior_seau_s_suicide_are_concussions_responsible_.single.html

Yep- what I wasa alluding to in the Wrap this past weekend.

Thousands of NFL players have died natural deaths after long, happy and productive lives after banging heads and cracking skulls for years and years on Saturdays and Sundays.

I want to see the defense of this class action suit focus on that and note how goddamn ill-equipped most of the prima donnas are when it comes to being just another fucko when the career is over.

25 years of having your ass kissed and your every hour planned is too much for some of them without ever getting their head knocked in.

Not saying whether Duerson or Seau dies as a result of head injuries contributing to their issues. But I know at least a couple dozen housewife friends of my wife and I that are on anti-depressant cocktails and a couple of people in the past few years who have taken their own lives. None of whom ever played a down on Sunday.

Help these assholes with their exit strategy, protect them best you can and make it clear there's no gun to their head when they take millions to play violent game.

If that ain't enough then I'll start watching more soccer than I already do.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 am

e0y2e3 wrote:http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/05/junior_seau_s_suicide_are_concussions_responsible_.single.html

Well done and interesting
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 am

There is no silver bullet, but here is my completely non medical and just talking out of my ass first step -

Baseline brain scans for kids, starting before they ever step on the field as Pee Wees or Jr. High Schoolers. Becomes routine as part of the annual physical. Scans after every concussion as well, to determine extent of trauma and healing. Spot an anomaly that cannot be explained then shut it down.

I believe that some people are simply more concussion prone than others - most likely genetics - they same way some people are more prone to rotator cuff or knee instability or heart issues.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu May 10, 2012 10:45 am

Matt,
Not a bad idea from a safety standpoint, but it would be a massive cost. Who would pay for it? No insurance companies will pay for baseline CT scans. They should pay for post concussion scans. Maybe the leagues could raise the money.
I agree some are more prone to concussions. Lucky ones like Chris Carter can go their whole career without one.
I played in school and probably had a concussion or two, blew out a knee. I have an athletic 11yr old I try to talk out of football.
He has quickly learned at QB the value of an offensive line.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 am

pod2dawg wrote:Matt,
Not a bad idea from a safety standpoint, but it would be a massive cost. Who would pay for it? No insurance companies will pay for baseline CT scans. They should pay for post concussion scans. Maybe the leagues could raise the money.
I agree some are more prone to concussions. Lucky ones like Chris Carter can go their whole career without one.
I played in school and probably had a concussion or two, blew out a knee. I have an athletic 11yr old I try to talk out of football.

Agree the $$$ will be prohibitive now, but I could easily see this in 7-10 years. It will most likely need to be legislated into the bylaws for the state bodies that govern HS sports.

No reason, however, that the NCAA and NFL cannot take baseline scans of all incoming Freshmen and rookies.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:22 am

The NFL, if they're not completely stupid, should start the funding of such programs. Or at least champion and support the idea.

It'll look great in front of a jury...... oh..... and it'd be the right to do anyway. That's the important part. ;-) ;) :wink:

They should start with Pop Warner and then go from there.

Give it the start, let other entities determine if/how they pick up the baton.

mattvan1 wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Matt,

Agree the $$$ will be prohibitive now, but I could easily see this in 7-10 years. It will most likely need to be legislated into the bylaws for the state bodies that govern HS sports.

No reason, however, that the NCAA and NFL cannot take baseline scans of all incoming Freshmen and rookies.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dmiles » Thu May 10, 2012 10:06 pm

You'd think if done on a massive, wide scale that costs would go down. Perhaps you could have the Pepsi-Products mobile scan unit competing with the Coca-Cola trailer.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 am

dmiles wrote:You'd think if done on a massive, wide scale that costs would go down. Perhaps you could have the Pepsi-Products mobile scan unit competing with the Coca-Cola trailer.

This scan brought to you by Mrs. Pauls' Fish Sticks, Official Fish Stick of NFL Cat Scans.

Also sponsored by Tylenol - When it's not a concussion, Tylenol.

Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 am

Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:30 am

Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:31 am

Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 am

I ain't goin' to Hell

I thought you were there for a year in the 60's holding broken 18 year olds with blood spraying out of them under fire?

Hell would probably be a vacation for you.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri May 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Just making sure my pass doesn't get revoked but, yeah, I'm pretty comfortable about the end result... :salute:
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Spin » Fri May 11, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a question.

So, an NFL player is diagnosed with multiple concussions?

How does his lawyer prove they happened in the NFL and not college, high school, middle school, or youth leagues? Or another sport? Or some other activity?

If they are diagnosed with cumulative head injuries?

How does his lawyer prove than XX% happened in the NFL, and XX% happened in college, high school, middle school, and youth leagues? And another sport? And some other activity?

Without that proof, do they have a case?
Spin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 11, 2012 2:01 pm

Spin wrote:I have a question.

So, an NFL player is diagnosed with multiple concussions?

How does his lawyer prove they happened in the NFL and not college, high school, middle school, or youth leagues? Or another sport? Or some other activity?

If they are diagnosed with cumulative head injuries?

How does his lawyer prove than XX% happened in the NFL, and XX% happened in college, high school, middle school, and youth leagues? And another sport? And some other activity?

Without that proof, do they have a case?

You live in America. How can you even ask this question?

If a bitch can sue b/c she spilled hot coffee on herself, you can sue for anything and probably get some money out of it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Individually they stand no chance. As noted above Seau was never on an injury list for a concussion or head injury. Any hx he has is ancient, college, high school history. But if they have enough Seau's and can spin a narrative of hiding injuries, not providing a safe environment, encouraging players to play with head injuries or hiding them from the league altogether to avoid missing time then they can put enough pressure on the league to write a nice check to former players and to fund future guys who leave the game.

Money grab. Always, always, always.

I don't care if there's a black hole on Duerson's brain. Like you're saying there is no one that can say it wasn't something he came into the league with. Or that he didn't contribute to his own issues with improper form or unwillingness to change technique.

Soup sandwich, money will change hands though. As Quincy Morgan would say, "Bleedat".

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:44 am

No drugs or alcohol according to the autopsy report.

Sad situation any way you look at it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Depression

To realize that you have so much to be grateful for and yet have so many regrets you have to work at it to be happy...
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL