Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe v. Rangers 5/6/12 Take the series!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe v. Rangers 5/6/12 Take the series!

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:52 pm

1. I. Kinsler, 2B J. Damon, LF
2. E. Andrus, SS J. Kipnis, 2B
3. J. Hamilton, CF A. Cabrera, SS
4. M. Young, 1B T. Hafner, DH
5. D. Murphy, LF C. Santana, C
6. N. Cruz, RF S. Choo, RF
7. M. Moreland, DH M. Brantley, CF
8. Y. Torrealba, C C. Kotchman, 1B
9. A. Gonzalez, 3B J. Hannahan, 3B

Y. Darvish U. Jimenez

Let's go Tribe!
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Tribe v. Rangers 5/6/12 Take the series!

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Santana is such a good, smart defensive player now.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:53 pm

statmasta wrote:Santana is such a good, smart defensive player now.

Dude- It won't take much more than a response for me to blow you up. I already think you're an asshole. Go ahead and give me one more reason to add to that list so I can come here each day and smile knowing you're gone forever.

You add zero, you're a douchebag and not a single person here has ever said to me, "Hey, ease up on that guy, he's a terrific poster."

So please, at least go out with something clever and something that will live on in the Library or something. Because there's no doubt in my mind you're going. You've been a cancer since the day you got here and that disease has about run its course.

Or, and this is way beyond any actual I hope I have, you can try and actually add to the conversation instead of being a gaping canker sore.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 2:04 pm

I generally don't have favorite players. That's something that kids and women do.

But, I love Jason Kipnis. I just can't help myself. Kid is everything you want in a ballplayer.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:07 pm

Gonna have to score more runs than 2 to beat the Rangers. Let's see if Santana can redeem himself some.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Jimenez is getting swings and misses. Have pigs grown wings? Oh no wait he's walked 4 in 3 innings
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 2:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Dude- It won't take much more than a response for me to blow you up. I already think you're an asshole. Go ahead and give me one more reason to add to that list so I can come here each day and smile knowing you're gone forever.

You add zero, you're a douchebag and not a single person here has ever said to me, "Hey, ease up on that guy, he's a terrific poster."

So please, at least go out with something clever and something that will live on in the Library or something. Because there's no doubt in my mind you're going. You've been a cancer since the day you got here and that disease has about run its course.

Or, and this is way beyond any actual I hope I have, you can try and actually add to the conversation instead of being a gaping canker sore.

What in the motherfuck?

I'm not allowed to compliment players that are playing well? Am I also not allowed to say Kipnis is hitting well? Am I not allowed to say Vinnie Pestano is pitching well?

Santana's playing well defensively, and he had just made a great play before I posted that, so I wanted to mention it. I thought it was noteworthy how well he's been playing.

WTF is wrong with that?
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Speaking of Kipnis hitting well....

no doubt
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 2:37 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Jimenez is getting swings and misses. Have pigs grown wings? Oh no wait he's walked 4 in 3 innings

Still doesn't have the fastball or the control, but at least he's had the breaking stuff to make up for it. Guys can't hit his curve and slider today.
statmasta

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Kipnis might just be my favourite player right now
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun May 06, 2012 2:46 pm

statmasta wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:Jimenez is getting swings and misses. Have pigs grown wings? Oh no wait he's walked 4 in 3 innings

Still doesn't have the fastball or the control, but at least he's had the breaking stuff to make up for it. Guys can't hit his curve and slider today.

Yeah the curve has been working and I think his splitter has looked muuuuuuch better. Hitters were able to just spit on it up until recently because it was breaking so early.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 2:49 pm

9 consecutive batters retired by Ubaldo
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 2:50 pm

A 7-pitch inning for Ubaldo. Nice work, Texas.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Jumbo » Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm

I can live with the walks if he's getting swings and misses. I think I saw something in a game story for his last start that he didn't get his first swinging strike until the 92nd pitch or something.

This is much better.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun May 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Who IS this guy pitching for us? Hammy and Rosie keep calling him "Ubaldo" but this game is sounding nothing like the other Jimenez games I've listened to this season.

Could it be he's finally found what he had before his pitching went downhill? Could he be now showing what made it worth trading two high-rated prospects for him? Who knows...stay tuned this season. :pop:
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm

statmasta wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What in the motherfuck?

I'm not allowed to compliment players that are playing well? Am I also not allowed to say Kipnis is hitting well? Am I not allowed to say Vinnie Pestano is pitching well?

Santana's playing well defensively, and he had just made a great play before I posted that, so I wanted to mention it. I thought it was noteworthy how well he's been playing.

WTF is wrong with that?

Like I said... I'm about done with it. Don't whine, don't play stupid with your typical "everyone's picking on me" shit.

You're either as big an asshole that's ever haunted this place or about the dumbest who's ever logged in.

Look back at your past few posts and see why you get the shit you get. Your hit and run a day or two ago was followed up with the post above.

I don't care if you're a dick or you're dumb. I'm about done even guessing. And no one here will care.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Kipnis might just be my favourite player right now

I had about 1,000 words dedicated to the kid in my article BEFORE this weekend.

Now I'm wondering if that's enough.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Am I Here Again? wrote:Who IS this guy pitching for us? Hammy and Rosie keep calling him "Ubaldo" but this game is sounding nothing like the other Jimenez games I've listened to this season.

Could it be he's finally found what he had before his pitching went downhill? Could he be now showing what made it worth trading two high-rated prospects for him? Who knows...stay tuned this season. :pop:

No. I think he's just found a way to compensate for not having what made him so good before (which was 100 gas).
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Yu Darvish is nasty. Great curve ball. Late movement on the two-seamer. Good life on the four-seamer Has shown the ability to throw any pitch in any count.

Great stuff, but, as with all Japanese pitchers, we'll see how long his arm stays together.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 2:58 pm

statmasta wrote:
Am I Here Again? wrote:Who IS this guy pitching for us? Hammy and Rosie keep calling him "Ubaldo" but this game is sounding nothing like the other Jimenez games I've listened to this season.

No. I think he's just found a way to compensate for not having what made him so good before (which was 100 gas).

I think he's made two good starts out of six. Also, he's given up 2 hits today and his WHIP has only fallen from 1.74 to 1.62.

Let's see him string four or five good starts together and then maybe we can say that he's found a way to compensate.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Jumbo » Sun May 06, 2012 2:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:
statmasta wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What in the motherfuck?

WTF is wrong with that?

Like I said... I'm about done with it. Don't whine, don't play stupid with your typical "everyone's picking on me" shit.

You're either as big an asshole that's ever haunted this place or about the dumbest who's ever logged in.

Look back at your past few posts and see why you get the shit you get. Your hit and run a day or two ago was followed up with the post above.

I don't care if you're a dick or you're dumb. I'm about done even guessing. And no one here will care.

All :pop: aside, that was a pretty nice defensive play and throw by Santana earlier in the game.
Last edited by Jumbo on Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:58 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Yu Darvish is nasty. Great curve ball. Late movement on the two-seamer. Good life on the four-seamer Has shown the ability to throw any pitch in any count.

Great stuff, but, as with all Japanese pitchers, we'll see how long his arm stays together.

Heard Ranger coaches and MLB scouts saying he was the most Americanized of any Japanese pitcher to date in regard to his between start approach and his physical and mental preparation.

That might help him more than anything else.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:
statmasta wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What in the motherfuck?

WTF is wrong with that?

Yes, we had a disagreement last year about Santana. And now I'm just revisiting that because I think he's improving like I thought he would improve. That's all I ever argued for last year, just keep him behind the plate to give him a chance to improve. Because Santana behind the plate is more valuable than Santana at first. And now we're seeing a more valuable Santana (look at how little time Marson's getting).

I don't see the problem. So we disagreed about a player. There's nothing wrong with that. That's why I'm here, to talk Indians baseball. I'm not here to talk Indians baseball and then get yelled at for being disagreed with.

Chill out, man. I come in peace.
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:Heard Ranger coaches and MLB scouts saying he was the most Americanized of any Japanese pitcher to date in regard to his between start approach and his physical and mental preparation.

That might help him more than anything else.

Especially the mental prep part. These Asian imports are playing under some immense pressure from across the Pacific. If he can handle that better than those before him, then he's definitely set up for success.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Jumbo wrote:All :pop: aside, that was a pretty nice defensive play and throw by Santana earlier in the game.

Exactly, it was. It was a fantastic play.
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:01 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
statmasta wrote:

I think he's made two good starts out of six. Also, he's given up 2 hits today and his WHIP has only fallen from 1.74 to 1.62.

Let's see him string four or five good starts together and then maybe we can say that he's found a way to compensate.

Ok, trying to find a way to compensate is more accurate.

He may be starting to find it today.
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

statmasta wrote:
Jumbo wrote:All :pop: aside, that was a pretty nice defensive play and throw by Santana earlier in the game.

Let's be careful here. It's fantastic in relative terms. It's a play that a lot of catchers make every day. We're all just more excited by it because it was done by Santana.

He's morphing into an average, if not slightly above average, big league catcher, which is more than most of us expected.

Now, if you want to see a fantastic play, the play he made in Chicago with the short hop pick and seed to 2B, that was fantastic. Today's was what he should be doing.
Last edited by skatingtripods on Sun May 06, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Jumbo » Sun May 06, 2012 3:03 pm

That strikeout pitch to Cruz was nasty.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:03 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
statmasta wrote:

Let's be careful here. It's fantastic in relative terms. It's a play that a lot of catchers make every day. We're all just more excited by it because it was done by Santana.

He's morphing into an average, if not slightly above average, big league catcher, which is more than most of us expected.

Now, if you want to see a fantastic play, the play he made in Chicago with the short hop pick and seed to 2B, that was fantastic. Today's was what he should be doing.

Don't really feel like nit-picking about semantics. It was a good play. I just wanted to say I liked the play. That's all.
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:05 pm

But I still hate the way Santana catches pitches. He stabs at the ball, and his glove ends up way more outside or way more inside than it should be, making a close pitch appear like it wasn't close at all.

I don't know if that makes a difference in getting calls, but it wouldn't hurt to fix that.
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:11 pm

By my count Ubaldo has 12 swinging strikes today.
Darvish has 18.
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Would be nice to get through today without having to use Smith, Pestano, or Perez. Might take some insurance to do that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Would be nice to get through today without having to use Smith, Pestano, or Perez. Might take some insurance to do that.

Tony Sipp isn't letting that happen. :gah:
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Sipp sucks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:32 pm

At least he didn't completely implode. Nice pitch.
statmasta

Unread postby statmasta » Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Vinnie keeps his streak alive. At least 1 K in every game he's pitched in this season. That's unreal for a short reliever.

Wow.
statmasta

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Pestano got away with one of those cutters, but the backdoor slider on the first pitch put that pitch in Cruz's mind the whole at bat.

Let's hang a big crooked number so we can try and use Asencio in the 9th.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:56 pm

2 of 3 from Texas. 3 good starts. Not a whole lot of offense again. Pestano and Perez were excellent.

Good way to start the month with 4 of 6. Keep winning series.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun May 06, 2012 3:56 pm

How about that.

Clearly Ubaldo lurks here and read our pitching mechanics breakdown.

I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out of Perez.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I'm still waiting for the bottom to fall out of Perez.

His velo and swagger are back. Slider has been sharp. Curious to see how he'll rebound from his next blown save, but hopefully we don't have to find out for a while.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Awesome win guys. I haven't been around much lately, but in case anyone didn't know....We are in first place and playing pretty damn good ball.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun May 06, 2012 4:01 pm

skatingtripods wrote:His velo and swagger are back. Slider has been sharp. Curious to see how he'll rebound from his next blown save, but hopefully we don't have to find out for a while.

Yea, not hoping, just waiting. I don't think his stuff is that good, he lives on swag. A tubby, unkept Borowski.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:His velo and swagger are back. Slider has been sharp. Curious to see how he'll rebound from his next blown save, but hopefully we don't have to find out for a while.

Yea, not hoping, just waiting. I don't think his stuff is that good, he lives on swag. A tubby, unkept Borowski.

I don't like Perez but I won't compare him to Borowski. Perez has a plus (slightly) fastball and a legit +slider.

If he gets to and stays stays at 94-95 with #1 he can be a real tough night. That's a lot different than Borowski serving up slop and hoping lasers were hit at people.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun May 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Tribe leads the league in tubby guys.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby scrambler » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 pm

I gotta tip my cap to Ubaldo today, he did the job. Very nice to see, but I'll have to see a lot more before I think it wasn't just another outlier. Kipnis is the truth.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:

I don't like Perez but I won't compare him to Borowski. Perez has a plus (slightly) fastball and a legit +slider.

If he gets to and stays stays at 94-95 with #1 he can be a real tough night. That's a lot different than Borowski serving up slop and hoping lasers were hit at people.

People seem to forget how truly awful Joe Borowski was. Closers periodically lose their jobs. Not all that unusual. Having a guy with the worst stuff in the league at the time keep the job for over a year and a half - well, that ain't happening all too often.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

peeker643 wrote:If he gets to and stays stays at 94-95 with #1 he can be a real tough night.

If. And it's flat.

Man, the guy leads the league in saves and I'm bustin' balls. Cleveland fans are jaded a-holes.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
peeker643 wrote:If he gets to and stays stays at 94-95 with #1 he can be a real tough night.

If. And it's flat.

Man, the guy leads the league in saves and I'm bustin' balls. Cleveland fans are jaded a-holes.

You're a Cleveland fan.

You get it ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Mon May 07, 2012 2:21 am

statmasta wrote:

Personally I don't care if he "found" it or he learned to "compensate" as long as whatever he has done works on a consistent basis. Time will tell (hence my "stay tuned" comment because I'm not ready to call Ubaldo fixed yet).
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB