Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Matt LaPorta

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 am

$30-$75 for cheap plastic camping lights?

Shit.... now I gotta go dig 'em out and see if they even work.

I only bought them because of momentary nostalgia of camping when I was a kid.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby bookelly » Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 am

Massive upgrade may be hyperbole. But a 60 point difference in OPS+ translates to about 3-5 WAR. Ya'll think that come September we won't think 3-5 games isn't massive? 86 wins or 90? Which team makes the playoffs?

So you all hate LaPorta. Well, right now Kotchman is 3-5 games worse than LaPorta's numbers LAST YEAR.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 04, 2012 2:07 am

Casey Kotchman mashed a 2 for 4 tonight and now has as many rbi as Albert PUjols or even more I don't know. He also has infinitely more home runs than Pujols this year, and that is simply a fact. I think this thread should end. He's now on track.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri May 04, 2012 6:28 am

bookelly wrote:Massive upgrade may be hyperbole. But a 60 point difference in OPS+ translates to about 3-5 WAR. Ya'll think that come September we won't think 3-5 games isn't massive? 86 wins or 90? Which team makes the playoffs?

So you all hate LaPorta. Well, right now Kotchman is 3-5 games worse than LaPorta's numbers LAST YEAR.

Pup has to be shitting himself right now. If you're going to use WAR, at least use it right. Defense counts too.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby pup » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 am

WAR, what is it good for

Original name of War and Peace from what I have heard.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 am

scrambler wrote:Casey Kotchman mashed a 2 for 4 tonight and now has as many rbi as Albert PUjols or even more I don't know. He also has infinitely more home runs than Pujols this year, and that is simply a fact. I think this thread should end. He's now on track.

Good point. Do you think the Angels would be willing to trade Pujols for Kotchman? They need more offense at first base and Kotchman is also better than Pujols defensively. As a bonus they would get rid of his inflated salary, although we'd probably insist they pay at least half of it. They'd also have to throw in a prospect, of course, to even it out.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

It's an eagle. It's Nelson Mandela or whatever was torn off in a fierce eagle v. eagle battle over the skies of Peru where it lives. One lucky eagle now has two of those Winnie Mandela deals. It's how eagles roll. The winner will flaunt that shit and emasculate the loser til the loser gets pissed and tries to win it back.

Idiots.

LaPorta blows.

He's the MotherScratcher of ball players.

Thread is over.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 am

bookelly wrote:Massive upgrade may be hyperbole. But a 60 point difference in OPS+ translates to about 3-5 WAR. Ya'll think that come September we won't think 3-5 games isn't massive? 86 wins or 90? Which team makes the playoffs?

Sorry, but this is not even close to being true, just for the simple fact that WAR factors in defense. It might hold true for great vs. superstar players, but doesn't hold water for shitty players.

Case in point:
Alex Rios - 2011
.613 OPS in 537 AB for a WAR of -0.7

Ryan Ludwick
.674 OPS in 490 AB for a WAR of +0.3

For a difference in WAR of 1.0

EDIT: Even after only a month of the season (WAR is predominantly a counting stat so it's much easier to be have a higher WAR, later in the season), Kotchman's WAR is -0.6 in 84 PA which is still better than the -0.8 that LaPorta put up in 385 PA last year. Defense counts.

In summation, LaPorta is fucking terrible.

:bunny:
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 04, 2012 9:59 am

pup wrote:WAR, what is it good for

Original name of War and Peace from what I have heard.

That is extremely well done.

Doesn't mean you're not an asshole.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 04, 2012 10:06 am

peeker643 wrote:It's an eagle. It's Nelson Mandela or whatever was torn off in a fierce eagle v. eagle battle over the skies of Peru where it lives. One lucky eagle now has two of those Winnie Mandela deals. It's how eagles roll. The winner will flaunt that shit and emasculate the loser til the loser gets pissed and tries to win it back.

Idiots.

LaPorta blows.

Thread is over.

I'll take that. Yeah, LaPorta blows..but he's still better at baseball than either of us are at anything else we've ever done in our lives.

Did you guys all see that? Peeker thinks that I'm professional caliber! And here I always figured he thought I was a putz. Now I have the warm fuzzies.

:group:
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Fri May 04, 2012 1:43 pm

What exactly does LaPorta bring to the table that Shelley Duncan doesn't? At least Duncan mashes lefties and doesn't have the hip and mobility of an 83-year old man.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Dellucci TailGator wrote:What exactly does LaPorta bring to the table that Shelley Duncan doesn't? At least Duncan mashes lefties and doesn't have the hip and mobility of an 83-year old man.

Well, for one, LaPorta can allegedly play first base.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Fri May 04, 2012 1:48 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Sorry, but this is not even close to being true, just for the simple fact that WAR factors in defense. It might hold true for great vs. superstar players, but doesn't hold water for shitty players.

Case in point:
Alex Rios - 2011
.613 OPS in 537 AB for a WAR of -0.7

Ryan Ludwick
.674 OPS in 490 AB for a WAR of +0.3

For a difference in WAR of 1.0

EDIT: Even after only a month of the season (WAR is predominantly a counting stat so it's much easier to be have a higher WAR, later in the season), Kotchman's WAR is -0.6 in 84 PA which is still better than the -0.8 that LaPorta put up in 385 PA last year. Defense counts.

In summation, LaPorta is fucking terrible.

:bunny:

Someone is trying to get me started....

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 pm

pup wrote:WAR, what is it good for....

"Absolutely nothin'" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg

And the old lady in me says "Remember the Kent State Four".
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri May 04, 2012 4:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:It's an eagle. It's Nelson Mandela or whatever was torn off in a fierce eagle v. eagle battle over the skies of Peru where it lives. One lucky eagle now has two of those Winnie Mandela deals. It's how eagles roll. The winner will flaunt that shit and emasculate the loser til the loser gets pissed and tries to win it back.

Idiots.

LaPorta blows.

Thread is over.

You want some owl lights too?

We should sell LaPorta to the Siberian Marmets for all the Owl lights they have. Sell them bitches on EBay and use the money for cocaine and MORE psychedelic mushrooms.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 04, 2012 5:06 pm

That is the greatest plan I have ever read. It's absolutely foolproof.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby LarsHancock » Fri May 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Jose Bautista was complete garbage until he hit 28, then the lights went on. His 2009 season was almost identical to LaPorta's, and then the lights go on and he hits 54 homers.

Kevin Millar was in the minors until he was 27, and only after he turned 29 did he start becoming a solid .280/20/80 guy.

Nelson Cruz was a garbage platoon guy until he turned 27, then he hit .330 in 30+ games, earned a starting job, and hit 33, 22, ans 29 homers the next three seasons.

David Ortiz was crap until he turned 26. And we all know what happened after that.

So there is definite precedent for a late career revitalization for a power hitter.

That, by the way, is the difference - power. LaPorta is slugging over 100 points better than at any point in his minor league career. Which is a big difference, and it means he is truly driving the ball. In Cleveland, he was swatting balls away, not hitting them, and the result was terrible production evident by a low OPS, RBI, and approval rating. Now he's driving the ball. 9 HRs in 20 games? He wouldn't hit 9 HRs in 20 batting practice sessions when he was up here.

Something is different with the kid, and it is possible for a man to emerge from a deep dark hole at this age.

Worst thing to do would be to call him up and disrupt his mojo. If LaPorta continues to slug in the 700s into June, he'll be here and Kotchman will be selling hot dogs in the stands. And you may just see the player we thought we were going to get in the trade.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat May 05, 2012 12:14 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Dellucci TailGator wrote:What exactly does LaPorta bring to the table that Shelley Duncan doesn't? At least Duncan mashes lefties and doesn't have the hip and mobility of an 83-year old man.

Well, for one, LaPorta can allegedly play first base.

Eh, Duncan's only played 11 games at first the last two years (36 times in his career), but from what I saw he's serviceable there. LaPorta's lack of lateral movement makes him just as much of a liability at first. And I like that Duncan is about 6-5 for stretching purposes. Even if he can't move, being that tall is helpful. LaPorta can't stretch for ANYTHING at first.

Everyone keeps taking about how the Indians need a right-handed bat. No they don't. They need a right-handed bat who can hit left-handers.

That's not LaPorta. He's hit .211 with a .303 OBP against lefties since being called up.

If you're going to put a stiff at first or in left field, at least he should hit left-handers.
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 am

The reason I don't think LaPorta can turn it around like a Bautista is something Peeker has continually said and I agree with: LaPorta can't move. Since the hip surgery, he looks nothing like he did before it. He doesn't have a stride at all, no balance. I call him Weeble Wobble. He looks like he's going to fall over after every swing.
Dellucci TailGator

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 am

David Ortiz was crap until he turned 26. And we all know what happened after that.

I've long been a staunch advocate of getting Matt LaPorta to start taking steroids.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 05, 2012 10:33 am

The gap between AAA and The Show is enormous. Breaking balls are much sharper, fastball location is much better. I don't like to put a whole lot of stock into minor league stats. Keep in mind that Ben Francisco won a batting title there.

Everybody talking about LaPorta's lack of mobility is right. Sadly, David Ortiz at probably 250-260 lbs is more athletic than LaPorta.

What separates Bautista and Ortiz from LaPorta is that those two have plate discipline. Even when Bautista was hitting in the .230s and .240s, his OBP was 80-100 points higher than his average. LaPorta has two seasons of a 50 point difference and one outlier that skews his career numbers.

LaPorta's a guy. Nothing more. Just a filler. Replacement-level at best. The kind of guy who can hit an 89 mph mistake down the pike for a HR but is damn near screwed with two strikes.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:15 am

Dellucci TailGator wrote:The reason I don't think LaPorta can turn it around like a Bautista is something Peeker has continually said and I agree with: LaPorta can't move. Since the hip surgery, he looks nothing like he did before it. He doesn't have a stride at all, no balance. I call him Weeble Wobble. He looks like he's going to fall over after every swing.

Exactly. Door Matt with a stride in his swing and not hitting now >>>>>>> his current production at the plate but with his 2011 swing.

Anyone seen him hit lately- describe?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat May 05, 2012 11:48 am

I read that LaPorta is playing mostly left field for Columbus. It looks like the Indians have given up on the first base experiment.

With the acquistion of Damon to play left field and Grady possibly returning in June or July, I don't see much opportunity for LaPorta.

Somebody pointed out that he has huge numbers at home in a favorable park for hitters, but his road numbers are very ordinary.

OTOH, if he keeps raking they've got to figure out some way to give him one more shot, right?

Edit: Home OPS is 1.363 in 17 games. Road OPS is .766 in 7 games. Small sample size, but still, that's a 600 point difference. Once the Clippers have to start playing more games on the road we'll see if LaPorta's numbers fall off.

Also, he's hitting .455 with the bases empty and .192 with RISP.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I read that LaPorta is playing mostly left field for Columbus. It looks like the Indians have given up on the first base experiment.

With the acquistion of Damon to play left field and Grady possibly returning in June or July, I don't see much opportunity for LaPorta.

Somebody pointed out that he has huge numbers at home in a favorable park for hitters, but his road numbers are very ordinary.

OTOH, if he keeps raking they've got to figure out some way to give him one more shot, right?

Edit: Home OPS is 1.363 in 17 games. Road OPS is .766 in 7 games. Small sample size, but still, that's a 600 point difference. Once the Clippers have to start playing more games on the road we'll see if LaPorta's numbers fall off.

Also, he's hitting .455 with the bases empty and .192 with RISP.

Ah, our future LF/leadoff hitter. :hide:
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Sat May 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm an eternal Indians optimist and am duly encouraged by their start. That said, their LF for all he brings is 38 years old and no one wanted him until a month ago; the CF, Brantley, isn't what we'd call out of the woods in terms of establishing himself as a bona fide CF for a winning baseball club; and the top starter, acquired at the cost of two top prospects (a move I applauded at the time) has, er, issues. And the first baseman hasn't hit and has really been a black hole since Thome took his talents to Philadelphia the first time. LaPorta for all his faults is crushing the ball in Triple A. I'd run Charlie Spikes out there if he gave me the most remote hope of filling one of the aforementioned holes to better ensure a longer, more fun summer (and fall -- I am an optimist after all). Give 'em a little time to see if LaPorta regresses significantly in Columbus or better still Kotchman starts hitting at least league-average? Absolutely. Kotchman hitting and LaPorta continuing at Columbus would be best case, since then perhaps the Tribe could move him somewhere to fill one of the other holes. However, if LaPorta keeps hitting and Kocthman doesn't, how could they not at least try to fill one of their holes with someone who could possibly fill it cheaply and without having to give up anything decent?
Pressrunnr

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Pressrunnr wrote:......Kotchman hitting and LaPorta continuing at Columbus would be best case, since then perhaps the Tribe could move him somewhere to fill one of the other holes. However, if LaPorta keeps hitting and Kocthman doesn't, how could they not at least try to fill one of their holes with someone who could possibly fill it cheaply and without having to give up anything decent?

Cheaply.....you have hit upon it. LaPorta will get one last shot, stiff hips and all, & yes he has to do better against lefties.

People, we have Kelly Duncan & Johnny Damon in left...................I cheer like Hell for both of them cause I know they are good guys...but come on............
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm

motherscratcher wrote:That is the greatest plan I have ever read. It's absolutely foolproof.

A swiss fucking watch.

I've got a garage full of Philly Mandelas from all the eagles I've killed.

That is an owl.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 am

This thread has been crucial. Kotchman even reached the Mendoza line briefly a game ago. His average has gone up about 40 points. that he's still below the magic line may concern some, but he's obviously inspired.
scrambler

Unread postby Liondrew » Fri May 11, 2012 11:35 am

Pressrunnr wrote:I'm an eternal Indians optimist and am duly encouraged by their start. That said, their LF for all he brings is 38 years old and no one wanted him until a month ago; the CF, Brantley, isn't what we'd call out of the woods in terms of establishing himself as a bona fide CF for a winning baseball club; and the top starter, acquired at the cost of two top prospects (a move I applauded at the time) has, er, issues. And the first baseman hasn't hit and has really been a black hole since Thome took his talents to Philadelphia the first time. LaPorta for all his faults is crushing the ball in Triple A. I'd run Charlie Spikes out there if he gave me the most remote hope of filling one of the aforementioned holes to better ensure a longer, more fun summer (and fall -- I am an optimist after all). Give 'em a little time to see if LaPorta regresses significantly in Columbus or better still Kotchman starts hitting at least league-average? Absolutely. Kotchman hitting and LaPorta continuing at Columbus would be best case, since then perhaps the Tribe could move him somewhere to fill one of the other holes. However, if LaPorta keeps hitting and Kocthman doesn't, how could they not at least try to fill one of their holes with someone who could possibly fill it cheaply and without having to give up anything decent?

Maybe the Indians brass thinks that Kotchman is going to start hitting and that if they're in contention come August, and he hasn't come around, they always have LaPorta as an option.

All I know is, if they want to take a serious shot at contention this year, they need to upgrade their offense. Those great teams of the 90's had all the hitting, but not enough pitching; now they have all the pitching they need, but not enough hitting.

:gah:

That's Cleveland for you.
Liondrew

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 am

Liondrew wrote:
Pressrunnr wrote:I'm an eternal Indians optimist and am duly encouraged by their start. That said, their LF for all he brings is 38 years old and no one wanted him until a month ago; the CF, Brantley, isn't what we'd call out of the woods in terms of establishing himself as a bona fide CF for a winning baseball club; and the top starter, acquired at the cost of two top prospects (a move I applauded at the time) has, er, issues. And the first baseman hasn't hit and has really been a black hole since Thome took his talents to Philadelphia the first time. LaPorta for all his faults is crushing the ball in Triple A. I'd run Charlie Spikes out there if he gave me the most remote hope of filling one of the aforementioned holes to better ensure a longer, more fun summer (and fall -- I am an optimist after all). Give 'em a little time to see if LaPorta regresses significantly in Columbus or better still Kotchman starts hitting at least league-average? Absolutely. Kotchman hitting and LaPorta continuing at Columbus would be best case, since then perhaps the Tribe could move him somewhere to fill one of the other holes. However, if LaPorta keeps hitting and Kocthman doesn't, how could they not at least try to fill one of their holes with someone who could possibly fill it cheaply and without having to give up anything decent?

Maybe the Indians brass thinks that Kotchman is going to start hitting and that if they're in contention come August, and he hasn't come around, they always have LaPorta as an option.

All I know is, if they want to take a serious shot at contention this year, they need to upgrade their offense. Those great teams of the 90's had all the hitting, but not enough pitching; now they have all the pitching they need, but not enough hitting.

:gah:

That's Cleveland for you.

That's wrong. This team's pitching is infinitely worse than 1995. Perhaps later seasons the pitching of those teams faded a bit but the 1995 team had superior pitching. They were 3rd in Major League baseball in ERA and WHIP!! Only two NL teams had a better team ERA than them. Their team ERA was 3.83. The second best ERA in the AL was Baltimore with a 4.31 ERA. They had by astronomical margins the best pitching staff in the AL in 1995 and this year's has nowhere near the pitching of that team....not even remotely close. The two best pitching staffs in MLB in 1995 played in the World Series, we lost game 6 by a 1-0 score.
scrambler

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 11, 2012 12:08 pm

The 1996 team also had the best ERA and WHIP in the American League. In 1997 the team dropped off considerably pitching and was in the lower half of the league and the odd thing about those teams is that was by far the worst team of the era and was the one that came closest to winning it all. by 1998 they were back in the top 5 in the league in ERA. That was the super steroid era so in 96 for example they were best in the league with about a 4.30 ERA, but it is what it is. they were best in the AL in 95 and 96 and 4th best in 98. Those teams could pitch.
scrambler

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat May 12, 2012 6:56 am

LaPorta is cooling off fast, hitting .226 in May. So far on the Clippers current road trip he's 4-for-21. On the season he's .395/1.363 at home and .255/.650 on the road. It's the ballpark. Maybe his hips stiffen up sleeping in hotel beds.

Kotchman is hitting .308 in May. Things can reverse themselves very quickly in this game.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:02 am

Prosecutor wrote:LaPorta is cooling off fast, hitting .226 in May.

Who'da thunk it?

Truly hard to believe ain't it? I thought he was really going to completely reverse his entire career history and his shitty swing and effed up hip and become a bonafide major league run producer.

Damn.... this one hurts.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Sat May 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Even message board posters discussing him being in the show causes a large yellow puddle forms around his cleats.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat May 12, 2012 9:27 pm

pup wrote:Even message board posters discussing him being in the show causes a large yellow puddle forms around his cleats.

Could it be that I, personally, am the one who put the final dagger in his career?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

If Hafner goes on the DL , does LaPorta drive up I-71 tonight?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Govbarney wrote:If Hafner goes on the DL , does LaPorta drive up I-71 tonight?

Would be LaPorta getting the call, but Hafner would have to be re-evaluated tomorrow or maybe even Saturday once the swelling goes down. If Hafner isn't able to play, we'll go a couple days one short on the bench. DL's going to be a last resort. Just a bruise for now, but they'll probably look closer at x-rays once the swelling goes down.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu May 17, 2012 4:50 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Would be LaPorta getting the call, but Hafner would have to be re-evaluated tomorrow or maybe even Saturday once the swelling goes down. If Hafner isn't able to play, we'll go a couple days one short on the bench. DL's going to be a last resort. Just a bruise for now, but they'll probably look closer at x-rays once the swelling goes down.

We're already one short on the bench at the minute with Hannahan being a bit gimpy. I know he's "hoping" to be back for the w'end series, but it's gonna be pretty tough to go two men short.

Might see a bullpen guy sent down to call up some bat help or a bench guy in the short term (Donald).
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:06 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

We're already one short on the bench at the minute with Hannahan being a bit gimpy. I know he's "hoping" to be back for the w'end series, but it's gonna be pretty tough to go two men short.

Might see a bullpen guy sent down to call up some bat help or a bench guy in the short term (Donald).

Donald has been only down for 5 days at this point. I don't think they can bring him back until next Tuesday if they're so inclined.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:07 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

The Nick Johnson loss is a staggering blow now. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Donald has been only down for 5 days at this point. I don't think they can bring him back until next Tuesday if they're so inclined.

They can if they put a guy on the DL.

It's been a while since you've posted a picture of an "eagle" in this thread...get on it.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB